As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Nintendo 3DS] The 3DS XL is out.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Where is the US feed? I thought the US version was starting now :(

I don't think they're having an actual event. Their twitter said to check back around 8:30, so they might just be tweeting.

Boo...

P.S. - This game they are showing on the Japanese video looks weird. I can't tell what's going on here. It's like an RPG but there is a grid you draw like Picross?

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular

I don't think they're having an actual event. Their twitter said to check back around 8:30, so they might just be tweeting.

Boo...

P.S. - This game they are showing on the Japanese video looks weird. I can't tell what's going on here. It's like an RPG but there is a grid you draw like Picross?

It's Etrian Odyssey! Long standing super popular RPG series from the DS, where you map out the dungeons yourself.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    They did just tweet that they're releasing a Kirby 20th Anniversy collection disk for Wii.

564727729.jpg?key=920922&Expires=1334980762&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=dSAgh1s5vSBAC-ocVUY0a~isUeF0bPD6bPSO0bPqxUjCgIIKRa-XMUj5jjxFtZF0Dfqog7GTyjVqbpVuEvUEiRo9Yum7yARPCicUrs1zG9j6bhwLTHFrIJatS5mJSsShDiep2Z84GMt26M-zlO~670eDKR~9CxwcOPI0hRf0uWk_

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    Looks like there's an update on 4/25 for the new 3DS home screen features.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    edited April 2012
    564732960.jpg?key=400240&Expires=1334981258&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=nMxls3IU~sL0xj3E1In6YBJf89SHxwC8G3w7L7PgamTy47wduy5tUfqjI20gho0N1QN9EUCp-O1QcE~6ORuaqtyeheZnU6uQUQsZd9HyJpu-CvzrazCxFel4ShhzZVYyyFivz4IluioVc3sFO3y5KzCzfHceZjHAINl8bhWnZGs_

Raccoon suit with flight in 2D. Awesome.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    edited April 2012
    I wonder if anyone has pictures of some of this new stuff. I'm curious to see the upgraded menu system.

Also, yay Nintendo. Welcome to like 5 years ago. You're almost caught up!

Boo...

It's Etrian Odyssey! Long standing super popular RPG series from the DS, where you map out the dungeons yourself.

Ah.. I saw a giant tree. I thought maybe Square was having another run at giving us every kind of Mana game except the damn style people liked :P

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    edited April 2012
    564732960.jpg?key=400240&Expires=1334981258&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=nMxls3IU~sL0xj3E1In6YBJf89SHxwC8G3w7L7PgamTy47wduy5tUfqjI20gho0N1QN9EUCp-O1QcE~6ORuaqtyeheZnU6uQUQsZd9HyJpu-CvzrazCxFel4ShhzZVYyyFivz4IluioVc3sFO3y5KzCzfHceZjHAINl8bhWnZGs_

People at GAF are already bitching about it being lazy for being the same art style, but this is still going to look awesome in 3D, and I like the gradual addition of SMB3 elements to these games. There's the colored panels and P meter!

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    I need EO IV in my veins.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    edited April 2012

People at GAF are already bitching about it being lazy for being the same art style, but this is still going to look awesome in 3D, and I like the gradual addition of SMB3 elements to these games. There's the colored panels and P meter!

People at GAF can go to hell. What were they expecting? Grimdark Mario?

Edit: Haha, I liked this one:
    kobunheat: Nintendo: leaping FEET-FIRST into the recent past

Warlock82 on
    NoA says this game is coming out in August.

So I just realized that screenshot has the SMB3 run meter. *all my monies*

As much as I can't wait for NSMB2, I find it odd that this game came out of nowhere and has a release date but still nothing for Luigi's Mansion 2 or Paper Mario 3D.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I'm eagerly awaiting Animal Crossing.

As much as I can't wait for NSMB2, I find it odd that this game came out of nowhere and has a release date but still nothing for Luigi's Mansion 2 or Paper Mario 3D.

They announced New Super Mario Bros. Mii at e3 last year. But yeah, I'm surprised they are doing two. But then, they are apparently doing that with Smash Bros as well, so *shrug*

There is some sort of gaming event coming up in the next two months that might indeed shed some light on those two.

I'd say LM2 is a definite for this year and PM is probably late this year or early next.

• DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I wonder if anyone has pictures of some of this new stuff. I'm curious to see the upgraded menu system.

Folders only came to iOS at version 4 so two years or so ago. Not sure how long android had them.

I'll only get Animal Crossing when Nintendo allows downloadable retail games. I don't mind (and usually prefer) physical media for stuff but Animal Crossing is such a pain to get into without having easy access to it.

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo

There is some sort of gaming event coming up in the next two months that might indeed shed some light on those two.

I'd say LM2 is a definite for this year and PM is probably late this year or early next.

True, I figure E3 will be the time we'll finally get more info. It's just a bit frustrating.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    Dritz wrote: »

Folders only came to iOS at version 4 so two years or so ago. Not sure how long android had them.

I was more referring to the fact that they can actually patch their games now :P

Oh ok. Patches are something of a double edged sword for me. Maybe I've just been lucky but most of the stuff I've gotten on Nintendo platforms (even from third parties) has been pretty solid. Patches are a gateway to lazyness but if something is broke it's probably best that there is a way to fix it.

Oh ok. Patches are something of a double edged sword for me. Maybe I've just been lucky but most of the stuff I've gotten on Nintendo platforms (even from third parties) has been pretty solid. Patches are a gateway to lazyness but if something is broke it's probably best that there is a way to fix it.

I don't know. I'd agree except I've seen the issue come up enough at this point to just assume the developers that are going to be lazy are just going to be lazy and the ability to patch will at least let those lazy developers not completely screw over people :P

• SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    I'd say that patching is good any way you slice it. I imagine Nintendo's certification process will be as strict as ever, but patches can come out to fix anything that escaped or maybe even add features.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

The last two console Zelda games have had game-breaking bugs that had to be fixed using the most arcane methods imaginable due to the system's lack of support for patches.

I think there's something incredibly wrong with the industry that it allows games to ship broken and be patched to work later, but not having that available on Nintendo platforms hasn't stopped bugs from getting through at all. The only difference is that games that ship broken stay broken.

mntorankusu on

The last two console Zelda games have had game-breaking bugs that had to be fixed using the most arcade methods imaginable due to the system's lack of support for patches.

I think there's something incredibly wrong with the industry that it allows games to ship broken and be patched to work later, but not having that available on Nintendo platforms hasn't stopped bugs from getting through at all. The only difference is that games that ship broken stay broken.

Not nitpick but do you mean arcane?

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    So I just became a 3DS owner

The only physical game I have is The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Digitally, I have Mario's Picross, VVVVVV (this is kinda the main reason I got one), and Sakura Samurai because it sounded awesome

Two things I've been continually thinking since my purchase:

1) I'd really love to try Kid Icarus, but the stand and any possible discomfort that comes with it frighten me. I don't know anyone who has purchased it yet to give it a try.
    2) Why the hell aren't Pokemon Red/Blue on the VC?

Heard it mentioned that there is a new Mario Tennis puzzle. Just as I get close to getting all the pink pieces.

• mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular

The last two console Zelda games have had game-breaking bugs that had to be fixed using the most arcade methods imaginable due to the system's lack of support for patches.

Not nitpick but do you mean arcane?

DAMN TYPO

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular

I'll only get Animal Crossing when Nintendo allows downloadable retail games. I don't mind (and usually prefer) physical media for stuff but Animal Crossing is such a pain to get into without having easy access to it.

This is true. I'd even accept a "channel" like MKWii and Wii Fit to allow for a little bit of basic stuff.

Same for nintendogs + cats.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Heard it mentioned that there is a new Mario Tennis puzzle. Just as I get close to getting all the pink pieces.
    That was pretty much my primary goal with my 3DS at PAX this month.

YL9WnCY.png
  • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Appreciate the return of the thread. In the spirit of celebration, I feel this is an appropriate venue to mention that last night I won a Mario-themed 3DS from Nintendo Australia. I have had my own since launch so I'm going to give this one to my little bro so we can one day play more Monster Hunter together. Thanks Raz.

Guess that means I didn't win a toad one then..... How did they notify you?

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    Does anyone plan on getting Mario Tennis Open? Played at Pax East and loved it! Cant wait to get it.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Michiru Yamane's work in Skullgirls makes me want a new Castlevania somethin' fierce.

It will be called Castlevania: Orchestra of the 3rd Dimension.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    plufim wrote: »
    Appreciate the return of the thread. In the spirit of celebration, I feel this is an appropriate venue to mention that last night I won a Mario-themed 3DS from Nintendo Australia. I have had my own since launch so I'm going to give this one to my little bro so we can one day play more Monster Hunter together. Thanks Raz.

Guess that means I didn't win a toad one then..... How did they notify you?

Email from Club Nintendo. I'm glad I can give it to my bro. He's not in a position to buy one at the moment but I know he'll be into it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2012
    So I just became a 3DS owner

The only physical game I have is The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Digitally, I have Mario's Picross, VVVVVV (this is kinda the main reason I got one), and Sakura Samurai because it sounded awesome

Two things I've been continually thinking since my purchase:

1) I'd really love to try Kid Icarus, but the stand and any possible discomfort that comes with it frighten me. I don't know anyone who has purchased it yet to give it a try.
    2) Why the hell aren't Pokemon Red/Blue on the VC?

Hey cool, hopefully you find some good stuff to enjoy on it. Weird to purchase it for VVVVVV when the game's just fine on PC but whatever! I agree that it's awesome and worthwhile on 3DS too. If you like Resident Evil at all, or even if you just don't actively dislike the series, I definitely recommend RE: Revelations. And every 3DS owner should own Mario 3D Land and/or Mario Kart 7.

1) I think everyone was concerned about this before it came out, but most people seem to be able to adjust to Kid Icarus pretty well. I haven't read a lot of accounts of people saying "well too bad, I hate playing this game and can never play it again." It takes an hour or two and a little tweaking of the settings and you should be fine. I'd even go so far as to say that if you do find someone with the game and get to try it out, you should play it as if you had purchased it and wanted to get used to the controls to validate your purchase. It may have an initial turnoff that is worth getting past.

The story and characters are just awesome, feeling more like a classic Disney movie than Nintendo's usual approach.

2) My assumption has always been that the games are not "complete" without being able to trade Pokemon, Nintendo doesn't want to sell an incomplete version of one of their most popular franchises, and the logistics of getting GB link working over local wireless just for an old game don't justify devoting a lot of resources to it.

Or maybe there's something weird about their original license/agreement with Game Freak that complicates matters.

Or maybe they're just waiting for a good major Pokemon release to help promote it.

UncleSporky on
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    I'm about to buy a 3DS. They aren't going to release V2 tomorrow right?

edited April 2012
    joshgotro wrote: »
    I'm about to buy a 3DS. They aren't going to release V2 tomorrow right?

Nobody knows what might be announced at E3 in early June. Personally I don't see a new model as being very likely when they're selling the existing hardware at a loss and have a major new console release before the end of the year, but if you want to be absolutely sure, wait until after E3.

I usually skip the second revision and get the third anyway.

UncleSporky on
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    The NSMB2 screen shot looks like there is depth to the level.

• pslong9pslong9 Registered User regular
    I'm so, so, SO happy they're adding folders to the main screen. I've been wanting that for a long time. Less clutter makes me happy.

steam_sig.png

3DS FC: 0817-3759-2788
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Just redeemed my Mario Tennis spotpass piece this morning.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Ooh, nice to see this thread back.

I'm guessing this is as good as place as any to post this:

http://mynintendonews.com/2012/04/20/nomura-hints-that-theres-another-the-world-ends-with-you-game-coming/

This has been on the top of my "wanted sequels" list since I played TWEWY. An absolutely astonishing game that came totally out of nowhere.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
This discussion has been closed.