Vanilla Forums has been nominated for a second time in the CMS Critic "Critic's Choice" awards, and we need your vote! Read more here, and then do the thing (please).
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Glory and approbation to Diablo 3 Thread (evil is back 05.15.12)

18283858788100

Posts

  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Uh, my point is that the vast majority of fights had their difficulty come from attrition. Tank takes damage, dps can't kill boss. Nine times out of ten it wasn't about mastering the encounter's abilities, but having good enough gear to hit the enrage timer.

    Steam name: munkus_beaver
    Blizzard thing: munkus#1952
    Nintendo ID (3DS thinger): munkusbeaver
    Please give to the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America: http://www.ccfa.org/
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Registered User regular
    Excepting a few encounters deliberately designed that way like Patchwerk, Marrowgar and more currently Ultraxion most of the encounters aren't like that at their respectively current tier levels. And especially not in heroic mode. Sure, if you're a tier or more above, then you can faceroll most encounters with sheer healing, damage and tanking power. But if you think you can ignore mechanics at the expected level of gear for the encounter (which is ultimately what actually matters when determining what an encounter is) then that's just incorrect.

    Hell for most of Cataclysm's bosses the enrage timer hasn't even factored in, and people are surprised when DBM announces they even exist.

  • KwoaruKwoaru Registered User regular
    Patchwerk was the best fight

    newsigtrimmed.jpg
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm thinking of all the fights in Wrath where the mechanics were extremely simple and the difficult part was the enrage timer and tank survival.

    Steam name: munkus_beaver
    Blizzard thing: munkus#1952
    Nintendo ID (3DS thinger): munkusbeaver
    Please give to the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America: http://www.ccfa.org/
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Registered User regular
    Tank survival was tricky in Wrath because pretty much throughout the expansion healers had more mana than they could ever really run out of, so Blizzard had to design encounters around massive amounts of tank damage only at certain specific times instead of smaller but more frequent amounts like you get in Cataclysm. That could often be the more difficult part to master, because the entire encounter revolved around whether or not 3 to 7 healers were capable of generating enough HPS in a couple of seconds to allow the tank to survive. (or you just had a holy paladin)

    It didn't mean you could just ignore the other mechanics though, or that they weren't a challenge to master. Particularly for heroic encounters. I'd say tank survival was the most difficult part of the iron council encounter, but there were absolutely other things the entire raid had to pay attention to or wipe everyone.

  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie a storm rocks a ship on a sea the wind shakes the leaves on a treeRegistered User regular
    Druhim wrote: »
    Drool wrote: »
    click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click

    also network lag in a single player game is the greatest feature
    diablo isn't a single player game

    bulllllshit
    edit: unless what you meant was that D3 in particular isn't single player

    even that's bullshit

    it's arguably more fun with people but you can certainly play it all by your lonesome and get the vast majority of the game's content
    do you only equip yourself with items you personally find

    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I only use items other people find. I'm hardcore social.

    the-place-beyond-the-pines-03_thumb_zps3d4e0ec7.jpg
    360: Sir Stiggleton PSN: Stiggy_PA GFWL: RacerStig Steam: TheStig
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie a storm rocks a ship on a sea the wind shakes the leaves on a treeRegistered User regular
    do you

    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Registered User regular
    Druhim wrote: »
    Drool wrote: »
    click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click

    also network lag in a single player game is the greatest feature
    diablo isn't a single player game

    bulllllshit
    edit: unless what you meant was that D3 in particular isn't single player

    even that's bullshit

    it's arguably more fun with people but you can certainly play it all by your lonesome and get the vast majority of the game's content
    do you only equip yourself with items you personally find

    You can, and still get the vast majority of the game's content yes.

  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Registered User regular
    do you

    Right now? Yup. Once the game has been officially released, probably not. But what I personally do has nothing to do with whether the game can be considered a single player game or not!

  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie a storm rocks a ship on a sea the wind shakes the leaves on a treeRegistered User regular
    i am saying there is a large portion of the game vested in the multiplayer experience

    it's like, you can quest to 85 without doing any dungeons in wow, but it's not a single player game

    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    i am saying there is a large portion of the game vested in the multiplayer experience

    it's like, you can quest to 85 without doing any dungeons in wow, but it's not a single player game

    unless you play it single player... in which case it is a single player game?

    edit: nm didn't see 'wow'

    Beef Avenger on
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Registered User regular
    The difference is in WoW while you can choose to do everything yourself, you're constantly surrounded by a world where other people can at any time be next to you. You might have 3 other people doing the exact same quest right beside you.

    Diablo 3 is an entirely instanced experience where you can choose to see and play with other people, but are not required to do so. In a private game, you will never encounter another player. There are no official private games of WoW.

  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    I'd argue that one actually gets more actual game content playing diablo games solo than multi. Not necessarily better but more

    I played d2 solo before going online, once i went online there was a shitload of quests and junk i never ever saw again because people are always rushing around and skipping stuff

  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Registered User regular
    I think if you play with friends you can get the same amount of content and a better overall experience, so long as the friends you're playing with are cool with reading quest and flavor text. But yeah, if you're just joining with pubbies you're going to be straightlining the entire way.

  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie a storm rocks a ship on a sea the wind shakes the leaves on a treeRegistered User regular
    The difference is in WoW while you can choose to do everything yourself, you're constantly surrounded by a world where other people can at any time be next to you. You might have 3 other people doing the exact same quest right beside you.

    Diablo 3 is an entirely instanced experience where you can choose to see and play with other people, but are not required to do so. In a private game, you will never encounter another player. There are no official private games of WoW.
    this doesn't seem like a big enough difference to me
    especially since like 90% of the quest content in wow is completely abandoned (though that will change with mop)

    besides, there are other things to content than quests that multiplayer provides. trading, working together on difficult challenges like inferno, competing in pvp, etc.

    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Registered User regular
    The difference is in WoW while you can choose to do everything yourself, you're constantly surrounded by a world where other people can at any time be next to you. You might have 3 other people doing the exact same quest right beside you.

    Diablo 3 is an entirely instanced experience where you can choose to see and play with other people, but are not required to do so. In a private game, you will never encounter another player. There are no official private games of WoW.
    this doesn't seem like a big enough difference to me
    especially since like 90% of the quest content in wow is completely abandoned (though that will change with mop)

    besides, there are other things to content than quests that multiplayer provides. trading, working together on difficult challenges like inferno, competing in pvp, etc.

    Yeah but all those things are entirely optional. You never have to see them at all if you don't want to. The Call of Duty series can be considered single player, even though multiplayer is arguably the only reason to play it anymore.

    You cannot play WoW without experiencing the multiplayer content, because the multiplayer content is woven into every aspect of the game at all times, wherever you are, whatever you're doing.

    Sorry dude, Diablo 3 can be considered a single player game.

  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie a storm rocks a ship on a sea the wind shakes the leaves on a treeRegistered User regular
    see, i'd say call of duty can't be considered a single player game anymore

    shrug

    either way, latency in single player? still necessary to prevent dupes/hacks/etc

    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    see, i'd say call of duty can't be considered a single player game anymore

    why not? and when did it change?

    it's always had separate single player and multiplayer components.

    Is it because at one point the multiplayer part was not a big deal, but now it is?

    so dark and foul I can't disguise
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig~medium.jpgsteam~tinythumb.png
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie a storm rocks a ship on a sea the wind shakes the leaves on a treeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    yeah, the multiplayer is most of the reason why people play it (and keep playing it for months)

    maybe that's part of it, usually people don't play d2/d3 for a long period of time in single player only. other than the first run through

    Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    so plenty of people play through it single player

    but because they don't continue playing it for multiple playthroughs it's not a single player game?

    what about... all other single player games

  • CampionCampion Registered User regular
    Walt wrote: »
    Evil Dave wrote: »
    On top of that, the leap attack does not have a sensible height restriction. You get to be all, "Fuck stairs, I'm out!" It's also a 10s cooldown that generates fury.
    Can you think of anything more furious than leaping? I can't

    You're furious that you can't leap any sooner.

    4484-7718-8470
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie a storm rocks a ship on a sea the wind shakes the leaves on a treeRegistered User regular
    so plenty of people play through it single player

    but because they don't continue playing it for multiple playthroughs it's not a single player game?

    what about... all other single player games

    other single player games generally put all the content... in the single player?

    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie a storm rocks a ship on a sea the wind shakes the leaves on a treeRegistered User regular
    even doing nightmare/hell is a stretch in single player

    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • KwoaruKwoaru Registered User regular
    For me once I beat the game on normal the single player is over

    Having done the story once by myself at my pace I don't need to repeat it alone if the only difference is the difficulty

    newsigtrimmed.jpg
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Registered User regular
    so plenty of people play through it single player

    but because they don't continue playing it for multiple playthroughs it's not a single player game?

    what about... all other single player games

    other single player games generally put all the content... in the single player?

    except for all the ones that have a robust multiplayer aspect as well?

    Having multiplayer doesn't mean your game is somehow not singleplayer either. Nor does it stop having the ability to be played as a single player game just because the lion's share of players are playing mutli.

    Diablo 3 is a game that provides you the option of making it impossible to encounter any other people while playing to completion. It can therefore be a singleplayer game. Full stop.

  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie a storm rocks a ship on a sea the wind shakes the leaves on a treeRegistered User regular
    games with both single and multiplayer tend to have people stick around for the multi

    at some point it just eclipses the single player completely

    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie a storm rocks a ship on a sea the wind shakes the leaves on a treeRegistered User regular
    my point was that say in like skyrim for example
    there's only single player, and you get like 100 hours of gameplay or whatever from it

    in a game like diablo 3? if you play 100 hours of single player without touching anything multi you need help

    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Registered User regular
    Alright, that's fine. But it's also totally different from saying "diablo isn't a single player game." Because it absolutely can be.

  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie a storm rocks a ship on a sea the wind shakes the leaves on a treeRegistered User regular
    (yes i know they are not directly analogous in terms of play length but it works as a percentage anyway)

    (also d3 multi will last longer than that anyway)

    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    yeah, the multiplayer is most of the reason why people play it (and keep playing it for months)

    I don't think that makes the single player component not a thing though
    but maybe I've never really played any Starcraft 2 or Call of Duty, because I ended up not playing them after I beat the campaigns

    (actually, that's not true, I played a bunch of the first Call of Duty's multiplayer my first year in college)

    End on
    so dark and foul I can't disguise
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig~medium.jpgsteam~tinythumb.png
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    that said, I will probably play some characters solo in D3, and I already know I am also playing a character or two in a group

    it's probably even true the solo characters won't be played past normal

    End on
    so dark and foul I can't disguise
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig~medium.jpgsteam~tinythumb.png
  • TankHammerTankHammer Extreme Ghostbuster Registered User regular
    Good evening members of this 85-page thread!

    I'm playing around in the open beta under the Battle-Tag TankHammer#1127 and I am going to binge on Diablo III over this weekend. Join the great wizard Bumi and let us turn the minions of hell inside-out with magic!

    4icmw.jpg TankHammer | 2zivq6q.jpg
  • godmodegodmode Nooo-ooo-ooo... That ain't dancin', SallyRegistered User regular
    Is the level cap still 13? I haven't played recently...

  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    I don't think they changed the level cap
    the beta still ends in the same place at least

    so dark and foul I can't disguise
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig~medium.jpgsteam~tinythumb.png
  • godmodegodmode Nooo-ooo-ooo... That ain't dancin', SallyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Oh, I suppose they would leave it, huh? Silly question :P

    But hey, at least we've only got like THREE AND A HALF WEEKS LEFT!

    Also, if anyone in here plays WoW and is considering doing the annual pass to get a free copy of D3, you have until May 1st to decide, if I remember correctly.

    godmode on
  • PeasPeas Registered User regular
    But can a man really juggle between wow and diii at the same time

    ayanomekakucityactors_zpsc44c7e8c.png
  • godmodegodmode Nooo-ooo-ooo... That ain't dancin', SallyRegistered User regular
    Yeeeeah I plan on finding a way. Can't abandon my guild bros.

  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular


    heh

    good that STAR's going to be making d3 vids

  • FugaFuga Registered User regular
    join a public game
    but then people are going to steal my shrines??

This discussion has been closed.