As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The War of Art: Vanguard kind of likes how Satan's asshole smells

• Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    Let the paint wars 2012 begin!

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I was just thinking "hey, maybe the Chaos Spawn has some nice bitz too!" and GIS'd this up. Wow.

010.JPG

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I paint with the pot open. Come at me, bro!

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    i need my airbrush links, anyone got those?

Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    Smug ass pot painter checking in

• Options
    Aw, SJ... I miss the ork yelling at them winky gits.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    SevorakSevorak Registered User regular
    Matrias wrote: »
    My sorta-pot-painting: I dip a wet brush (not damp, wet) into the pot, take a few strokes on the lids of my paints to get rid of the excess, and then apply brush to the model. If I needed more I'd go back to the pot lid and then repeat the process. If the paint dried on the lid, I'd repeat the process.

So I was still basically thinning the paints to get the consistency I needed but was also technically painting from the pot.

I do this when I have a quick detail to paint and can't be bothered with my wet palette. Mostly I use my wet palette though.

steam_sig.png 3DS: 0748-2282-4229
  • Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    Altmann, Sharp, et all, your insistence on using a palette is holding you back as painters. Your models will never reach the next level unless you start painting from pots.

3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    The idea of not painting from pots was just invented by the palette lobby to increase lagging sales.

I haven't painted anything in about two months now. First I was waiting for my airbrush so I could prime. Now I've just been priming stuff but can't decide what I actually want to paint.

Also, airbrush is awesome for priming. Except when the primer / Windex mixture is too far on the "Windex" side (or not mixed properly) and all that comes out is muddy Windex.

I know warstore sells the Vallejo grey airbrush primer, but anyone know a US store that sells the black?

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Wait, you chuckleheads still use physical… devices… to paint? Heathens! The Mind Arts are truly the only way to paint anything; a true master can apply monomolecular layers with but a blink.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    I use my eye lashes as a brush and actually do apply layers with a blink of the eye.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Well crap. I need some more varnish. I've got a unit of Termagants, a unit of Warriors, some Gargoyles and a Carnifex to seal. The can of Dullcote I have at the moment is nearly done.

Anyone have experience with Army Painters matt varnish? I've heard it's not quite as matt as Dullcote, but if I can get 4x as much for the same price, I'll go that direction.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Anyone have experience with Army Painters matt varnish? I've heard it's not quite as matt as Dullcote, but if I can get 4x as much for the same price, I'll go that direction.

It's satin.

Anymore I just use brush-on varnish. It's like $13 for a jug that's going to last me forever at Michael's. Plus none of the issues that go along with sprays.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    I bought some ceramite white base and some of the yellow glaze. I'm going to try to make myself do a test model this weekend to see how Imperial Fisty that combo looks.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    fuck I hate painting rhinos.

I had the spare that I was going to sell but then I looked at one of them I was currently using - all glue scarred, covered in ugly-panels-to-hide=greater-ugliness - and decided bite the bullet and paint the new one while turfing the old one.

Man, fuck I hate painting rhinos. fuck fuck fuck.

this is how I feel about painting rhinos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO3MttgvHUY

Matrias on
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Matrias wrote: »
    I use my eye lashes as a brush and actually do apply layers with a blink of the eye.

I drink the paint and piss it all over my men

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I use the paint as a condiment.

You don't want to know the next step.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    I paint with my poop.

Straight from the potty.

Echo on
  • Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    I paint from pot lids, though I load up the brush and then dip it in water to thin to what I need. Dropper bottles, don't really care if I get more than I need, it's like a drop or two of paint, seriously. Except when the tip is clogged and I squeeze and then all of a sudden a whole bunch comes out at once. That annoys me.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Anyone know who makes these bases? Seems I forgot the link.

Think they're called "Dark Temple" or somesuch.

tumblr_m1va3zIpnw1rr0yjho1_500.png

Echo on
  • Options
    mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    That purple highlighting is making me drool.

• Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
  • Options
    That's the ones! Thanks.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    So, been working on my Kroot. Got my first two 5 man squads done. I just have to finish some last minute Green Stuff patch work and cleaning.

Squad 1:
    DSCN1539.jpg

Squad 2:
    DSCN1540.jpg

Squad 2's CO (his warstaff covered to much detail to be pictured together):
    DSCN1541.jpg

• Options
    Assembled Asharah, minus the backpack. Haven't decided if I want it on her at all, it feels a bit distracting.

72923_10151535975255597_778075596_23628406_2131077577_n.jpg

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Question for the magnetisers out there. How do you stop the contact surfaces getting damaged? First I tried just painitng over the surfaces, but it would chip. Then I tried applying a layer of varnish, but that just seems to make the surfaces stick and peels the varnish off eventually. Do you just live with the contact surfaces getting damaged since, well, people won't see it?

• Options
    CaenemCaenem Sarasota, FLRegistered User regular
    Heavily varnish the contact area and the surrounding area. It doesn't matter what people won't see, but you want to make sure the chips don't end up tearing the paint around it and causing damage people WILL see.

But you, pig, are a lucky one. Tell us what we wish to know, and you may yet keep your bacon.
    Nemlock for online gaming
  • Options
    NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    thin thin thin layer of green stuff over the magnets. Stop damage on the contact point, and gives the added benefit of giving the magnets some traction so they don't spin around freely for heavier arms and such

The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    I finished painting that stupid rhino.
    Here's some photos of the rhinos. They're all stupid. The one I just finished is the one labeled Valhalm.

IMG_2450.jpg

Here's some close ups of doors I used trying to make the stupid, boring rhinos look less stupid and boring.
    IMG_2453.jpg

They're still stupid.

(really dislike painting rhinos)

• Options
    And I just realized the rhino I turfed due to my own cluckerfustering of it was the one Gabriel Pitt got me for secret Santa. Fuck.

Did salvage the Forge World doors, though. I'll use whats left for scenery.

• Options
    Is that one wolf skull wearing a hat?

• Options
    There's also one with a beard. Chapter house's doors are kind of strange.

think he put the half-diamonds on because the sculptor had such trouble with the top part of thee wolf skull. The ones he didn't hat up, I had to sculpt over all of them because the anatomy on the skulls were so bad.

• Options
    Istvaan ShogaatsuIstvaan Shogaatsu Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    mr_mich wrote: »
    That purple highlighting is making me drool.

Hey, I have to ask: your sigfile, the strangly dwarves - where's that from?

edit: I'm an idiot, should have sent PM.

Istvaan Shogaatsu on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    Some mini's I've been working on for missions in my tournament next week:

tournament-minis-wip.JPG

• Options
    Oh man I love the teeth and tongues.

Also I cn't unsee the wizard-wolf door now. Thanks, Dayspring

• Options
    That's where the Runepriest rides, obviously

• Options
    NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    I hate you Matrias cause those rhinos are so awesome

The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    I'm liking everything I'm seeing there.

• Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    Not the Squig's bases were rimmed with vallejo black. So shiny...

Picking up the new GW black tomorrow and I'll go over the base rims again.

• Options
    Or, you know, matte varnish.

And seriously WTF is up with VGC black being super glossy?

Reaper black FTW.

This discussion has been closed.