As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Magic: the Gathering: Cardboard Crack

• GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    misthollow griffin is super cool design, it gives me johnny tingles

EDIT: but it should be rare, not mythic

Griswold on
    FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Well at least we don't have to worry about sweepers come rotation in regards to token decks running rampant.

I'm toying with some R/W and G/W humans builds at the moment that seem pretty solid.

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Griswold wrote: »

Mythic status keeps "exile" from becoming Graveyard 2.0

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Taramoor wrote: »

Yeah, getting something back from Exile should be difficult -- I believe only two other spells do it specifically (Pull from Eternity, Riftsweeper), and neither of them pull themselves out like this Griffin apparently can.

Ironically, it's actually more efficient to destroy Misthollow Griffin than it is to exile it.

EDIT:
    Forar wrote: »
    There's rumoured to be a 10 CMC green mythic we haven't seen yet.

I wonder if it's the green mythic Miracle... It makes sense that there would be one, right?

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    edited April 2012
    Vyolynce wrote: »

Yeah, getting something back from Exile should be difficult -- I believe only two other spells do it specifically (Pull from Eternity, Riftsweeper), and neither of them pull themselves out like this Griffin apparently can.

Ironically, it's actually more efficient to destroy Misthollow Griffin than it is to exile it.

Plus, combine it with Food Chain
    Image.ashx?multiverseid=19737&type=card

Infinite mana!

Or tutor for it with Distant Memories. Either you get the griffin which is a 3/3 flyer, or you get to draw three AND you can cast the griffin later.

Actually, tutoring with Foresight is better. 1U for an extra draw next turn and tutoring three griffins into exile.
    Selective Memory is 3U to tutor up all four Griffins, and they don't take up space in your hand despite being hard castable so can't be discarded.

The Griffin will be HUGE.

Taramoor on
  • DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    Infinite mana useful only for playing creature spells seems like it wouldn't be overly great. Have to combine it with something that triggers on creatures entering/leaving the battlefield.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Darian wrote: »
    Infinite mana useful only for playing creature spells seems like it wouldn't be overly great.

A GU EDH deck using Momir Vig as the general could easily exploit that to spit your entire deck onto the table.

(My Momir Vig deck does exactly that - generate infinite mana in a few different ways, and get into a tutor chain with Vig.)

nb3l872yqc_en.jpg

I adore this. Mirrorweave is one of my favorite cards, but it's usefulness in EDH is reduced by its colors and how it effects your opponents. Infinite Reflection increases the CMC by 2 but fixes both those problems.

There are so many ways to break this. So many.

Misthollow Griffin is also super Johnnyish useful and I like it a lot.

ArchwingDragon.jpg

I actually kind of like this a bit. It's not terribly good, but it has interesting combo potential with Seance and Sundial of the Infinite.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    Archwing Dragon wrecks planeswalkers that aren't defended by spirit tokens.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Archwing Dragon wrecks planeswalkers that aren't defended by spirit tokens.

ooooh good point

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Archwing Dragon will probably see more play after hero and koth rotate out.

edited April 2012
    Fun thing reading the reactions to the Griffin on the official forums.

An hour before the reveal starcitygames had 160 copies of Food Chain in stock at $5 each, and 25 or so foils at $15.

Apparently they've sold a few.

Taramoor on
    So, that Ten CMC Green Mythic Rare

j3lhr.jpg

Reminds me of the Epic spells from Kamigawa.

Holy EDH nonsense, Batman!

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Can I activate Divining Top between iterations of that process? :bz

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
    Can I activate Divining Top between iterations of that process? :bz

No.

However, if you have a deck with no other spells you can stop at any time. That "May" in the text makes this a card you can build a deck around.

• PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    Yeah I want to make a 1 of deck for it.

jCyyTSo.png
    edited April 2012
    PikaPuff wrote: »

The difficulty would be balancing mana fixers and ramp-stuff with a bunch of giant crap that you'd want on the field for Commander and at least a few cards that let you find the Surge in the first place. As well as some way to stay alive long enough to pull it off. Might be fun to combine it with this:
    xrhuvwotu8_en.jpg

And during their end step just dump every creature in your library on the field.

Taramoor on

The difficulty would be balancing mana fixers and ramp-stuff with a bunch of giant crap that you'd want on the field for Commander and at least a few cards that let you find the Surge in the first place. As well as some way to stay alive long enough to pull it off. Might be fun to combine it with this:
    xrhuvwotu8_en.jpg

And during their end step just dump every creature in your library on the field.

For a general, I'm thinking Damia Sage of Stone for her ability to fish through the deck.

You can use some self-mill, fill up your graveyard, then use Bone Harvest when you're ready to launch.

• ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    Anyone have some tips as I gear up for my first sealed tournament, ever? It's an Avacyn Restored Prerelease on the 29th. To be honest, I really, really don't know what to expect -- a friend suggested it, and while I've played Standard, this is totally new to me. Will it be just Avacyn Restored, or will we get Dark Ascension and Innistrad packs, too? So confused! (Other tips welcome!)

pygsig.png
    Zeromus wrote: »
    Anyone have some tips as I gear up for my first sealed tournament, ever? It's an Avacyn Restored Prerelease on the 29th. To be honest, I really, really don't know what to expect -- a friend suggested it, and while I've played Standard, this is totally new to me. Will it be just Avacyn Restored, or will we get Dark Ascension and Innistrad packs, too? So confused! (Other tips welcome!)

Read the feature column that will be up on DailyMTG.com on Monday; it will be a prerelease primer and filled with generally useful tips.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    General tips for sealed: you want to be as close as possible to the minimum deck size (40 cards) as you can get since every extra filler card you put in means a lower chance of drawing your best cards. Usually that means about 16 lands, a bunch of creatures, and a few spells. Find your bombs and figure out your strongest colors (lots of creatures of varying costs, good removal spells) and try to run just two colors if you can, splashing a third if necessary and if you've got ways to search for lands/fix your mana.

• LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    does anyone else hear the sound cavern of souls is making? sounds like primeval titan dominating standard again.

EDIT ADVICE:

for sealed, sort everything into piles by color, then take out all the cards you really can't envision playing.
    look at how big the piles are in each color, and look at where your rares are.
    pick the best two of those piles. if there are just not enough cards at all, add a third color.

run 16 lands if you have cheap spells, 17 lands if they're average, 18 if they're more expensive spells.

if you have the luxury of making a curve, focus on spells that cost 2-4 mana. you want more of those. those are the best.

Lucedes on
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    General convention tells us 40% land is the proper amount to aim for in a limited deck. This format looks ponderous and swingy, which means making your land drops is even more important than usual. I don't think 18 lands is out of the question for a normal deck with what we've seen so far.

• PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    one note: there's no card limit in sealed. if you pull 10 of the same card, you can play it all in the same deck.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited April 2012
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    General convention tells us 40% land is the proper amount to aim for in a limited deck. This format looks ponderous and swingy, which means making your land drops is even more important than usual. I don't think 18 lands is out of the question for a normal deck with what we've seen so far.

I'm thinking 17-18 lands, particularly if I'm playing white and end up with some of the larger creatures given the larger costing and (as far as we can see) limited amount of removal available.

Cross your fingers and hope for a bomb.

Edit: Also....

???? (common?)
    2G
    Instant?
    Destroy target flying creature and all equipment attached to it.

???? (Rare)
    2RR
    Creature - Elemental
    Double Strike, Undying
    2/2

Kelor on
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Double Strike... and Undying? New favorite creature.

• ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    Thanks for the advice, everyone!

pygsig.png

That really is a nasty combination.

• LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    one note: there's no card limit in sealed. if you pull 10 of the same card, you can play it all in the same deck.

5 burning torches. i have been that person.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Kelor wrote: »

That really is a nasty combination.

Agreed. Dealing with double strikers in combat is often a losing proposition. Having to potentially do it twice with it even bigger the second time around sounds nasty.

Edit: and yes, removal is ideal, but my luck drawing removal in sealed is often... less than stellar.

Getting pretty excited for the pre-release. Looking forward to the full spoiler (hopefully Monday) so I can start trying to parse what seems to be wheat and chaff before I'm under pressure to build on Saturday.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    I've got a couple of rules questions:

1. If I use Terminus to put a bunch of creatures on the bottom of a library, does the owner determine the order in which those creatures go on the bottom, or is it random or what?

2. If I use a Reverberate spell (or any effect that copies a spell) on something like Blaze or Fireball, do I copy the amount of X as well, or does the copy do essentially 0 damage?

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    2. The value you chose for X is copied, but the amount and type of mana you paid is not. Thus a copied fireball for ten will deal ten damage, but a hypothetical weird counter that counters "target spell if red mana was used to pay for it" would not work on the copy.
    E: A more likely example: a fireball is cast using mana from Boseiju, Who Shelters All; a copy of that fireball will do as much damage, but can be countered.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    And to answer your first question, owner's choice of order.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Oh, good. The first question came because older cards usually say "in any order" or something like that. I guess they took it off for simplicity. The second question had me worried because a lot of my Riku of Two Reflections Commander finishes come from supercharged double fireballs, comet storms, and the like.

edited April 2012
    New stuff revealed, but I'm just going to cherry pick. So glad I'd picked up everything I wanted for R/W Humans.

Evernight Shade 3B
    Creature - Shade Uncommon
    Undying
    B: Evernight Shade gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
    1/1

Kessig Malcontents 2R
    Creature - Human Warrior Uncommon
    When Kessig Malcontents enters the battlefield, it deals damage to target player equal to the number of Humans you control.
    3/1

Gang of Devils 5R
    Creature - Devil Uncommon
    When Gang of Devils dies, it deals 3 damage divided as you choose among one, two, or three target creatures and/or players.

Hound of Griselbrand 2RR
    Creature - Elemental Hound Rare
    Double strike, Undying
    2/2

Riders of Gavony 2WW
    Creature - Human Knight Rare
    Vigilance
    As Riders of Gavony enters the battlefield, choose a creature type. Human creatures you control have protection from creatures of the chosen type.
    3/3

Spectral Gateguards
    Creature - Spirit Soldier
    Soulbond: As long as Spectral Gateguards is paired with another creature, both creatures have vigilance.
    2/5

Maalfeld Twins 5B
    Creature - Zombie
    When Maalfeld Twins dies, put two 2/2 black Zombie creature tokens onto the battlefield.
    4/4

Burn at the Stake 2RRR
    Sorcery
    As an additional cost to cast Burn at the Stake, tap any number of untapped creatures you control. Burn at the Stake deals damage to target creature or player equal to three times the number of creatures tapped this way.

Rush of Blood 2R
    Instant
    Target creature gets +X/+0 until end of turn, where X is its power.

Somberwald Vigilante
    Creature - Human Warrior
    Whenever Somberwald Vigilante becomes blocked by a creature, Somberwald Vigilante deals 1 damage to that creature.
    1/1

Edit: Also, Spikeshot Elder is getting reprinted as a vampire two drop.

Falkenwrath Exterminator 1R
    Creature-Vampire Archer U
    Whenever this deals combat damage to a player, put a +1/+1 counter on it.
    2R: Falkenwrath Exterminator deals damage to target creature equal to the number of +1/+1 counters on it.
    1/1

Kelor on
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    has anyone tried psychic surgery against ramp decks?

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Oh, wow, Red REALLY needed another two drop, and that fits the bill to a T. I'm so happy right now.

edited April 2012
    Honestly, I am feeling pretty partial to the Soulbonder who gives haste, and there's another couple of red two drops I'll put below (Human/Devil though) with the rest. They miscosted Exterminator, it should have been 2R. Other cool stuff:

Bone Splinters - B
    Sorcery Common
    As an additional cost to cast Bone Splinters, sacrifice a creature.
    Destroy target creature.

Gravecrawler liiiiike.

Kruin Striker - 1R
    Creature - Human Warrior Common
    Whenever another creature enters the battlefield under your control, Kruin Striker gets +1/+0 and gains trample until end of turn.
    2/1

Riot Ringleader - 2R
    Whenever Riot Ringleader attacks, Human creatures you control get +1/+0 until end of turn.
    2/2

Somberwald Vigilante - R
    Whenever Somberwald Vigilante becomes blocked by a creature, Somberwald Vigilante deals 1 damage to that creature.
    1/1

Battle Hymn - 1R
    Instant Common
    Add {R} to your mana pool for each creature you control.

Mad Prophet - 3R
    Creature - Human Uncommon
    Haste
    {T}, Discard a card: Draw a card.
    2/2

Scorching Devil - 1R
    Creature - Devil Common
    2{R}: Scorching Devil deals 1 damage to target player.
    1/1

Angel of Dawn - 2WW
    Creature - Angel Common
    Flying, lifelink
    2/4

(Going to clog up sooo many boards as a common)

Branch-Cloaked Path - 1G
    Enchantment Uncommon
    Creatures you control can't be blocked by creatures with flying.

Wolfir Avenger - 1GG
    Creature - Wolf Warrior Uncommon
    Flash
    1{G}: Regenerate Wolfir Avenger.
    3/3

Nature's Blessing - 4G
    Sorcery Uncommon
    Distribute four +1+1 counters among any number of target creatures.
    Miracle {G}

The occasional time where you target their Undying creature will be nice. Your guys will be getting bigger anyway.

Trusty Forcemage - 2G
    Creature - Human Shaman Common
    Soulbond
    As long as Trusty Forcemage is paired with another creature, both creatures get +1+1
    2/2

Wild Defiance - 2G
    Enchantment Rare
    Whenever a creature you control becomes the target of an instant or sorcery spell, it gets +3/+3 until end of turn.

My dream of Cackling Counterparting my Precursor Golems in your end step then Revenge of the Hunted-ing them on mine draws closer!

Scroll of Avacyn - 1
    Artifact Common
    1, Sacrifice Scroll of Avacyn: Draw a card. If you control an Angel, you gain 5 life.

Willow Hill Gallows - 3
    Artifact Rare
    3, {T}, Tap three untapped Humans you control: Destroy target creature. Its controller puts a 1/1 white Spirit creature token with flying onto the battlefield.

Kelor on
    So... many... good... red cards...

Either RDW or R/W humans looks to be getting a big boost.