Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning] DLC on March 20th! Info in OP.

1232426282932

Posts

  • am0nam0n Waltham, MARegistered User regular
    Thanks for the heads up, guys. I'll just try to maximize each zone before moving on to make sure I have stuff to do at the end!

    FFXIV:ARR - Jeyza Re
    The Great Green Hunt - Jeyza Re
    Barrowtown - Lakor
  • KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    KoA is the midweek madness on steam. 33% off on the game and all previous DLC.

    You can buy the collection which includes the newest DLC at 33% off though.

    steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • am0nam0n Waltham, MARegistered User regular
    So, if I can give any advice for people who get the weapons/armor DLC... don't loot it all. I opened the chest in the first town and clicked Take All to find out I now have about 5 slots of inventory left. Even after selling everything that isn't those items, I only have like 15 slots to move around the world with. =/ If it wasn't for the fact that my last save before that point was hours before (I usually just quick save), I'd have reset at this point. Kind of frustrating as I don't want to sell the items/destroy them, but I don't have a storage yet.

    FFXIV:ARR - Jeyza Re
    The Great Green Hunt - Jeyza Re
    Barrowtown - Lakor
  • AegeriAegeri Registered User regular
    They aren't really worth keeping anyway as you can't improve them. Inventory in the game is rather limited, so being a hoarder isn't as easy as it is in say Skyrim. I have most of my stash filled with books (it's a bit of an odd fetish, but I collect in game books like some kind of egg collecting animal).

  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    They aren't really worth keeping anyway as you can't improve them. Inventory in the game is rather limited, so being a hoarder isn't as easy as it is in say Skyrim. I have most of my stash filled with books (it's a bit of an odd fetish, but I collect in game books like some kind of egg collecting animal).

    I have the same problem with Skyrim and Amalur. Have I read any of those books yet? Nope. But I must collect them all!

    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis

    steam_sig.png
  • DiarmuidDiarmuid Registered User regular
    Y'know, after playing the game for around 30 hours, I've come to believe that the inventory system must have been designed to irritate me specifically.
    But apart from that it's really nice.

  • am0nam0n Waltham, MARegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Dashui wrote: »
    Aegeri wrote: »
    They aren't really worth keeping anyway as you can't improve them. Inventory in the game is rather limited, so being a hoarder isn't as easy as it is in say Skyrim. I have most of my stash filled with books (it's a bit of an odd fetish, but I collect in game books like some kind of egg collecting animal).

    I have the same problem with Skyrim and Amalur. Have I read any of those books yet? Nope. But I must collect them all!

    I think I've decided I'll just go back and reload. it's only like 2 hours behind and I can probably plow through what I had done much quicker. Then I can just take the items I know I'll want and let the rest sit in the box until I get a house to store it in. It'll also give me a chance to practice the whole fateshifting stuff as I seem to be messing that up (or I just can't fateshift small stuff like boggarts, which seems like it might be the case).

    Edit 2: So, after reading, it seems like the armor in the chest level locks to whatever level you are when you leave Allestar Glade (sp?). So, basically, unless I edit a save file before then to boost my character to level 40, the equipment will be garbage? And even then, only the armor/damage scales, not the secondary stats, which probably means that even if it was level 40 armor, it would be garbage at that point because the secondary stats are so weak. Does this sound correct?

    Edit 3: Also, apparently if you do this to level the items up, you can get like 1 million gold immediately in the first town (because you are selling a level 44 item). That wouldn't trivialize the game. =P

    As for the books, I've read all that I've been able to pillage so far. Nothing very interesting and most are 2-3 pages (and these aren't long pages, trust me. About the equivalent of 2 sentences per page).

    Edit: Also, in terms of the level locking, how close to a new area do I have to get to lock it? For instance, in the very first area you have a quest that has you walk into the next area. I didn't walk in, but I got close to the tunnel that connects the areas. Do I have to be concerned about accidentally locking that area by getting too close to the connecting tunnel? Or would I have to actually go into the area to lock it? What about dungeons? How close to the entrance how I get before locking it?

    am0n on
    FFXIV:ARR - Jeyza Re
    The Great Green Hunt - Jeyza Re
    Barrowtown - Lakor
  • SlimceaSlimcea Registered User regular
    am0n wrote: »
    Dashui wrote: »
    Aegeri wrote: »
    They aren't really worth keeping anyway as you can't improve them. Inventory in the game is rather limited, so being a hoarder isn't as easy as it is in say Skyrim. I have most of my stash filled with books (it's a bit of an odd fetish, but I collect in game books like some kind of egg collecting animal).

    I have the same problem with Skyrim and Amalur. Have I read any of those books yet? Nope. But I must collect them all!

    I think I've decided I'll just go back and reload. it's only like 2 hours behind and I can probably plow through what I had done much quicker. Then I can just take the items I know I'll want and let the rest sit in the box until I get a house to store it in. It'll also give me a chance to practice the whole fateshifting stuff as I seem to be messing that up (or I just can't fateshift small stuff like boggarts, which seems like it might be the case).

    Edit 2: So, after reading, it seems like the armor in the chest level locks to whatever level you are when you leave Allestar Glade (sp?). So, basically, unless I edit a save file before then to boost my character to level 40, the equipment will be garbage? And even then, only the armor/damage scales, not the secondary stats, which probably means that even if it was level 40 armor, it would be garbage at that point because the secondary stats are so weak. Does this sound correct?

    Edit 3: Also, apparently if you do this to level the items up, you can get like 1 million gold immediately in the first town (because you are selling a level 44 item). That wouldn't trivialize the game. =P

    As for the books, I've read all that I've been able to pillage so far. Nothing very interesting and most are 2-3 pages (and these aren't long pages, trust me. About the equivalent of 2 sentences per page).

    Edit: Also, in terms of the level locking, how close to a new area do I have to get to lock it? For instance, in the very first area you have a quest that has you walk into the next area. I didn't walk in, but I got close to the tunnel that connects the areas. Do I have to be concerned about accidentally locking that area by getting too close to the connecting tunnel? Or would I have to actually go into the area to lock it? What about dungeons? How close to the entrance how I get before locking it?

    If I'm not wrong, as long as the area shows on your map/minimap, it is considered to have been spawned. So pretty much avoid all the tunnels / areas near other zones.

    Dungeons don't lock until you enter them, so don't worry about getting close.

    steam_sig.png
  • am0nam0n Waltham, MARegistered User regular
    So, after some work, and cheating, I am satisfied with my progress. I downloaded a hex editor and edited my game right after leaving the tutorial and leveling up (so 0/1100 exp into level 1) to make me level 8. I chose level 8 because after some experimentation I found that being level 8 makes the weapons/armor from the DLC "level 8" but only require level 2 to use (level 1 if the weapons are level 7 or below with Seeker Destiny). I then ran straight through to the town and opened the chest to make sure the items were level appropriately and then found out where in the hex file was my total exp and edited my level back to 1 with ~200 exp into the level. I ran back to the start and basically went from there.

    So, the items are level 8 with a level 2 requirement to use and each one sells for ~2600 gold. So, nothing too obscene, but the quality of the items are nicer and will hold me over for a few levels until I get some points into blacksmithing and the items I don't want can be sold for just enough cash to get me the first backpack upgrade and skill point. It's cheating, but it's a happier starting point for me, and with all the items still in the chest they aren't eating up my inventory space.

    Now, to see how well I do in a level 5 zone (since the first area will be set to level 5) when I am level 1 or 2! =P This may require a little grinding in the nearby dungeons to set me up a little better for that first zone.

    FFXIV:ARR - Jeyza Re
    The Great Green Hunt - Jeyza Re
    Barrowtown - Lakor
  • am0nam0n Waltham, MARegistered User regular
    New question: Is there any way to reset a dungeon? The level 5 mobs were kicking my rear at level 1, so I decided to go to the first mine dungeon. I would like to run it a few times to try and get level 3 or level 4. Running back inside has the dungeon still cleared. Is this possible? If so, what do I need to do?

    FFXIV:ARR - Jeyza Re
    The Great Green Hunt - Jeyza Re
    Barrowtown - Lakor
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Registered User regular
    Not manually, that I know of anyway, but they will eventually repopulate via normal play.

    Steam.gif Galedrid - WoW.gif Benediction - bnet.gif Galedrid#1367
    Origin.png Galedrid - FFXI.png Kingshand - FFXIV.png Galedrid Kingshand
    360.png Galedrid - WiiU.gif Galedrid - 3DS.png 3222-6858-1045
  • am0nam0n Waltham, MARegistered User regular
    Not manually, that I know of anyway, but they will eventually repopulate via normal play.

    Thanks. Kind of stinks, but getting to level 2 has the mobs being manageable at level 5, so it may not be a big issue anyway. And since they are so much higher than me, I am getting lots of exp (killing like 8 bogarts has netted me about 1/2 a level!).

    FFXIV:ARR - Jeyza Re
    The Great Green Hunt - Jeyza Re
    Barrowtown - Lakor
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Registered User regular
    Did you edit something in your files that changes the way leveling works?

    Because if not, I wouldn't sweat the early stuff as much as you're doing. You have to actually try hard to not become pretty overleveled fairly fast in the game.

    And the DLC equipment is pretty terrible, the equipment pack stuff, I mean. I made the mistake of buying it and you replace it (at least the Might stuff) super quick. In fact iirc the Might equipment wasn't even as good as the Shepard armor.

    That first mine you run into actually is fairly rough, as Kobolds aren't the easiest thing to deal with out of the gate. There's plenty of other stuff that is lower level-ish that you can do (via the first town) that is easier; however you can find (for the beginning of the game) decent equipment in that Kobold mine, so it's worth doing when you can handle it.

    Steam.gif Galedrid - WoW.gif Benediction - bnet.gif Galedrid#1367
    Origin.png Galedrid - FFXI.png Kingshand - FFXIV.png Galedrid Kingshand
    360.png Galedrid - WiiU.gif Galedrid - 3DS.png 3222-6858-1045
  • am0nam0n Waltham, MARegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Did you edit something in your files that changes the way leveling works?

    Because if not, I wouldn't sweat the early stuff as much as you're doing. You have to actually try hard to not become pretty overleveled fairly fast in the game.

    And the DLC equipment is pretty terrible, the equipment pack stuff, I mean. I made the mistake of buying it and you replace it (at least the Might stuff) super quick. In fact iirc the Might equipment wasn't even as good as the Shepard armor.

    That first mine you run into actually is fairly rough, as Kobolds aren't the easiest thing to deal with out of the gate. There's plenty of other stuff that is lower level-ish that you can do (via the first town) that is easier; however you can find (for the beginning of the game) decent equipment in that Kobold mine, so it's worth doing when you can handle it.

    I made my character level 8 right after the tutorial in order to make the DLC a bit better (the level of the DLC depends on what level you are when you enter the first area after the glade). So, instead of being level 1 DLC, it's more like level 8 equipment (only armor/damage scales, secondary stats do not, and they can scale up to 40+ if done like that. However, higher level items require higher levels to use, so it seemed like a waste to make them really powerful when I wouldn't be able to use them early on when I would want to use them the most.). After I opened the chest, I leveled back down to 1. However, all the critters in that area are at the max level of 5, so at level 1 they weren't taking any damage. I did the mine dungeon to get to 2 and now they are manageable.

    am0n on
    FFXIV:ARR - Jeyza Re
    The Great Green Hunt - Jeyza Re
    Barrowtown - Lakor
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Is the new DLC any good?

    BN_Sig3.jpg
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Is the new DLC any good?

    I've put a couple hours into it, and it's on par with Dead Kel, I'd say. Whole new race with a cool Roman aesthetic to their city and culture, a couple of plot twists already, but also like Dead Kel you can't leave the DLC area for a while (I can't yet, anyway) and apparently there are secret achievements that are miss-able.

    optimusighsig.png
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
  • malpracticemalpractice Registered User
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Is the new DLC any good?

    I've been playing it all day and it's pretty damned good. Certainly worth getting. I've found that there are areas that don't show on the map until you've actually found them - small entrances to little caves, that kind of thing - and there's something call Primal Magic, which I don't quite get (your weapons can do primal damage but it also procs somehow). Oh and you can buy more backpack space

    As for achievements ...
    Spoiler:

  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Where do I get another backpack for the love of god.

    optimusighsig.png
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Where do I get another backpack for the love of god.

    The shopkeeper in the first town sells one, so does the one in spider town.

    Your puny weapons are useless against me
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I was asking more specfically about in the Teeth of Naros DLC because that's where I am right now and my inventory space is dangerously near maximum at, like, all times due to lack of stash. But thank you, I will visit those places when I can.

    optimusighsig.png
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Registered User regular
    Bag locations, from the IGN guide:
    Rikka Egest in The Corner Shop. Gorhart in Dalentarth's Odarath
    Riona Helt in Asker's Alley. City of Ysa in Dalentarth
    Wil Donall in Scholia Arcana academy. Rathir's Upper City
    Domus Politica merchant (Senecer Macit) in Adessa
    Illyn Doldran in Mel Senshir; he's the trader nearest the jail
    Ampelio, the Kollossae horticultural giantess, sells one in the Teeth of Naros DLC city, Idylla.

    I guess Dead Kel or whatever didn't have an increase? I never finished playing it. Got distracted by Xenoblade.

    Steam.gif Galedrid - WoW.gif Benediction - bnet.gif Galedrid#1367
    Origin.png Galedrid - FFXI.png Kingshand - FFXIV.png Galedrid Kingshand
    360.png Galedrid - WiiU.gif Galedrid - 3DS.png 3222-6858-1045
  • am0nam0n Waltham, MARegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    There is also an exploit, if you are into those things. In-game bug, so you don't have to fiddle with any save files or anything. If you've already bought the bag earlier (Mel Shenshir or something), not sure if it'll still work.
    Spoiler:

    am0n on
    FFXIV:ARR - Jeyza Re
    The Great Green Hunt - Jeyza Re
    Barrowtown - Lakor
  • SaphierSaphier Aka Errant Registered User regular
    Well, I'm partway through the tutorial and about ready to quit the game because the damn camera won't quit pointing at the floor. Does this get any better? The secondary weapon tutorial bit was especially frustrating since I kept losing sight of them when the camera went right back to my feet. Is it just the tunnels causing this?

  • am0nam0n Waltham, MARegistered User regular
    Saphier wrote: »
    Well, I'm partway through the tutorial and about ready to quit the game because the damn camera won't quit pointing at the floor. Does this get any better? The secondary weapon tutorial bit was especially frustrating since I kept losing sight of them when the camera went right back to my feet. Is it just the tunnels causing this?

    That's an odd isssue. I don't remember having it. Personally, I am enjoying the game quite a bit. There are definitely some things they could have done differently to make it more appealing, but overall I think they did well. I would say at least play through the tutorial and the first area or two (the first "area" is really short) to make sure the camera issue isn't the tunnels. It may also be a really sensitive mouse turning causing you to constantly be looking down. I'd play around with that and see if it helps any. I think I remember the default being entirely too sensitive.

    FFXIV:ARR - Jeyza Re
    The Great Green Hunt - Jeyza Re
    Barrowtown - Lakor
  • SaphierSaphier Aka Errant Registered User regular
    I was using a gamepad when I had the camera issues. Switched to keyboard/mouse so I could force the camera from pointing down, and I ran into a new issue where I couldn't kill the troll at the end. (Press F for finishing move, but F would not do anything). Apparently there are many bugs from having a gamepad plugged in.

  • am0nam0n Waltham, MARegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Saphier wrote: »
    I was using a gamepad when I had the camera issues. Switched to keyboard/mouse so I could force the camera from pointing down, and I ran into a new issue where I couldn't kill the troll at the end. (Press F for finishing move, but F would not do anything). Apparently there are many bugs from having a gamepad plugged in.

    @Saphier

    Interesting. I've never used a gamepad, so I wouldn't know. Did you remap the action key? I think by default it's E. F is use a potion, mana I think.

    am0n on
    FFXIV:ARR - Jeyza Re
    The Great Green Hunt - Jeyza Re
    Barrowtown - Lakor
  • Wolf of DresdenWolf of Dresden Registered User regular
    Still playing this (just passed the 50 hour mark) and am continuing to love it. Just a great blend of adventure & combat.. Sure, I wish the people in Whitestone would be a little more polite to the Truesworn Archsage Champion of the Houses of Ballads & Valor, but if they want to learn why I have all these accolades, I'll be happy to show them...

  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I'm glad I grit my teeth and did the Whitestone mayor's quest, because if it ended up I couldn't betray him for some non-evil guy I was going to just slaughter the whole town.

    optimusighsig.png
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
  • Wolf of DresdenWolf of Dresden Registered User regular
    Nothing like the charm of getting to put the boot to an obvious weasel...

  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I'm glad I grit my teeth and did the Whitestone mayor's quest, because if it ended up I couldn't betray him for some non-evil guy I was going to just slaughter the whole town.

    Yeah, that was nice. "oh, hi random dude. I don't really know you or care much about your motives, but you are providing me an avenue to get back at the asshole mayor so I'm totally on your side!"

    That questline was actually one of the ones that made me frustrated how your fateweaving abilities didn't play into dialogue at all; which I think was a huge missed opportunity.

    I mean, you have the ability to wipe out individuals from ever having had existed. Why couldn't I take advantage of it there? Why was I being this jerkoff mayors slave when I could have crushed him so hard his parents never existed?

    When/if they do a single player sequel, if they stick with the fateweaving stuff (though, how it would work post game is questionable, but that can be worked out), they need to integrate it into more than just combat to make it feel like something actually meaningful to the world. Make the player think about how to balance wiping out jerks from existence with the fact that will probably remove entire questlines and such.

    Steam.gif Galedrid - WoW.gif Benediction - bnet.gif Galedrid#1367
    Origin.png Galedrid - FFXI.png Kingshand - FFXIV.png Galedrid Kingshand
    360.png Galedrid - WiiU.gif Galedrid - 3DS.png 3222-6858-1045
  • am0nam0n Waltham, MARegistered User regular
    Nothing like the charm of getting to put the boot to an obvious weasel...

    Which is why I killed that gnome at the very beginning.

    FFXIV:ARR - Jeyza Re
    The Great Green Hunt - Jeyza Re
    Barrowtown - Lakor
  • SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    KafkaAU wrote: »
    KoA is the midweek madness on steam. 33% off on the game and all previous DLC.

    You can buy the collection which includes the newest DLC at 33% off though.
    ... dangit, just saw this post, way too late.

    steam_sig.png
  • am0nam0n Waltham, MARegistered User regular
    What is the purpose of Lawbreaker's Grotto? I am close to level 20 now, finishing up some dungeons in Dalentarth, but haven't seen anything that leads me into Lawbreaker's Grotto. Is it just there for flavor, or will a quest take me there at some point?

    FFXIV:ARR - Jeyza Re
    The Great Green Hunt - Jeyza Re
    Barrowtown - Lakor
  • AegeriAegeri Registered User regular
    If you get arrested you get thrown into there. Then you can get an achievement for escaping. Every major city or town has some kind of jail like it. Some quests will take you into the odd one of course, but they're not overly common.

  • milk ducksmilk ducks Registered User regular
    So, did they ever make this game more challenging by implementing that difficulty patch they talked about? Kingdoms of Amalur came out of nowhere for me, and hit me like a ton of bricks after it launched. I really love this game, but it was just too easy. Unfortunately, that's what's keeping me from replaying it, or buying the DLC, or even wanting to play it again at some time in the future. It's just ... way too easy.

    419256_10150651581260864_1554080121_n.jpg
  • am0nam0n Waltham, MARegistered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    If you get arrested you get thrown into there. Then you can get an achievement for escaping. Every major city or town has some kind of jail like it. Some quests will take you into the odd one of course, but they're not overly common.

    So it sounds like, generally, the prisons are just there for flavor (I don't get caught ;) ). Maybe I'll check them out just to see if there is anything I can loot.

    milk ducks wrote: »
    So, did they ever make this game more challenging by implementing that difficulty patch they talked about? Kingdoms of Amalur came out of nowhere for me, and hit me like a ton of bricks after it launched. I really love this game, but it was just too easy. Unfortunately, that's what's keeping me from replaying it, or buying the DLC, or even wanting to play it again at some time in the future. It's just ... way too easy.

    Not sure about any difficulty patch, but I am playing as of quite recently and the difficulty is a bit disappointing. I am playing on Hard and I've had many encounters (in particular with the Ettins in Ettinemere) where mobs just stand there as I launch arrows into their face. Other encounters, though, are quite enjoyable (the Jottun were fun, as their HP pool was large enough and they hit hard enough/shrugged off my blows that I had to keep dodging). I am hoping that once I get into areas where I am not 4-5 levels above that things get more challenging.

    FFXIV:ARR - Jeyza Re
    The Great Green Hunt - Jeyza Re
    Barrowtown - Lakor
  • AegeriAegeri Registered User regular
    No sadly, once you get past the early game there is never any challenge in this game anymore.

  • am0nam0n Waltham, MARegistered User regular
    Oh, that is disappointing. Well, hopefully I finish it, then. If it's too easy, at some point I'm just going to put it down.

    FFXIV:ARR - Jeyza Re
    The Great Green Hunt - Jeyza Re
    Barrowtown - Lakor
  • AegeriAegeri Registered User regular
    Yeah, I have unfortunately got to that point despite being a huge fan of the game. Dead Kel was entertaining, but the lack of challenge in basically every combat hasn't done the game a great service at all. :(

  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck NONSTOP INFINITE CLIMAX POSTING you must go on i cant go on ill go onRegistered User regular
    my rule is to not use crafting

    means that finding loot is actually fun rather than "oh look another epic item that could never possibly be 1/4 as good as this shitty crafted weapon"

    obF2Wuw.png
Sign In or Register to comment.