As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Video Game Industry Thread: Master Chief -- script delivery boy

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »
    It really wouldn't be that difficult to eliminate the used game market.

PC gaming did it years ago when CD keys became the norm.

That isn't to say the major consoles are going to go that way any time soon, but it'd be incredibly simple.

I've made peace with only being able to buy one or two used PC games a year. Sometimes none. I'd miss it on consoles, but it wouldn't be that new. Amazon.com will still have sales for new games--which is basically where I get all my PC sales, since they match each Steam sale.

Just out of curiosity, what PC games do you even manage to find used that end up being cheaper used with physical copies than through online sales? Because with online sales, I can't even keep up with all the games I end up getting for cheap as it is.

EDIT: I'm an idiot, and misread your post--I thought you said 'new', and typed out a whole response, which I'll just jam into the spoiler.

It's quite rare, but I picked up ME2 Collector Edition, with all the DLC still working, on PC for about....$20 less than the same price on Steam? Not including shipping, which was low. And that's canceled out by the mini artbook.

I believe I got Fallout: New Vegas under very similar terms--no DLC to worry about, and the game code had not been registered with Steam.

I guess you could make the case that they weren't really "used"--though ME2's case was a bit banged up.
    For new games: All of them almost? Mind you, I am not too deep into the indie gaming scene (my own loss, I suppose--not much free time as it is). But off the top of my head, Fall of the Samurai, TW: Shogun 2, Mass Effect 3, Flaming Cliffs 2, the latest expansion I bought for The Sims 3, Skyrim...the list probably goes on, I'm just looking at my shortcuts.

Pretty much the only place that consistently beats Amazon.com is GoG.com, and that's largely because they deal in a very specific type of game (older titles) which they sell at very low prices (games that, on Amazon.com, are quite rare and price inflated).

In the case of Steam, people tend to forget that Steam, while having awesome sales, still has sales. When they end--and they do--their prices go right back up. In either case, someone at Amazon is pretty obviously following Steam's prices and matching, or beating, them, because Amazon prices drop literally hours after Steam's do.

Of course, if one preferred Steam because of convenience, that's an entirely different matter, which I understand. The same way, I really like getting both my console and PC games in the same place.

Synthesis on
  • Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    So here's a laughable little Avengers tie-in,

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2012-04-20/marvel-vs-capcom-2-ported-to-iphone/ipod-touch-next-friday

first off, why no android port? and second, how the hell are combos gonna work on a touch screen only thing?

• mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    I think this is the best place for this question- What is in place to stop kickstarter abuse?

I mean could you prototype a game to show, kickstart a ton of cash, and walk?

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    I think this is the best place for this question- What is in place to stop kickstarter abuse?

Yeah, you could do that. You'd probably get sued by the people who's money you took, though.

• FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    mojojoeo wrote: »

Yeah, you could do that. You'd probably get sued by the people who's money you took, though.

we were just talking about that same question over in the kickstarter thread: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/158364/the-official-video-game-kickstarter-thread/

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    Some old sales figures:

Working Designs Special Edition sales figures (from a podcast w/Vic Ireland)

Lunars - around 400,000 (I assume this is both PS1 versions combined)
    Growlanser - 60k-70k

• AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    I loved Lunar Silver Star Story Complete.

• RehabRehab Registered User regular
    The conspiracy theories can end, it turns out Apple and Valve never met!

Gabe Newell Debunks Apple CEO's Visit To Valve
    HORSE SHIT! I told you! Speaking with Seven Day Cooldown in an hour-long podcast interview, Gabe Newell confirmed that Time Cook, CEO of Apple, did not visit Valve headquarters. Speaking with the 7DCD crew, Newell said:

We actually, we all sent mail to each other, going, "Who's Tim Cook meeting with? Is he meeting with you? I'm not meeting with Time Cook." So we're... it's one of those rumors that was stated so factually that we were actually confused.

That's right, and everyone bent over and took this rumor bullshit right in. How the hell does this industry operate in such a way? When everyone is taken in, who's watching the house burn down?

No one here was meeting with Tim Cook or with anybody at Apple that day. I wish we were! We have a long list of things we'd love to see Apple do to support games and gaming better. But no, we didn't meet with Tim Cook. He seems like a smart guy, but I've never actually met him.

Maybe we should all do a little more to follow up on these rumors when they come from completely anonymous and unstated sources. The full hour-long interview will be available in the next 24 hours at Seven Day Cooldown's site.

NNID: Rehab0
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    Bullshit. Everyone knows Valve and Apple have teleporters.

• plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    So Valve accidentally released Sonic 4 Episode 2 over Steam for a few hours.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Algertman wrote: »
    Bullshit. Everyone knows Valve and Apple have teleporters.

Valve has teleporters. Apple has handhelds. Together, Star Trek is closer to reality.

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    http://gamasutra.com/view/news/168955/Trials_Evolution_breaks_XBLA_record_with_highest_sales_100K_downloads.php
    RedLynx's Trials Evolution has set a new record for highest grossing day-one sales on Xbox Live Arcade, and has sold more than 100,000 copies in its first day after releasing.

I just came in to see if someone had posted about this

Trials Evolution is amazing and deserves every single one of those sales

But the success of both Trials HD and Evolution kinda baffle me a bit. I'm not sure why.

• HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    http://playeraffinity.com/xbox-360/xbox-360-featured/gabe-newell-e3-2012.html

So this is the strongest case yet for Half-Life 3 being announced at E3 this year. I can't imagine Gabe saying "something with a 3 will be announced" and it being anything other than HL3, since that would just be trolling of the highest order imaginable.

• subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Heisenberg wrote: »

So this is the strongest case yet for Half-Life 3 being announced at E3 this year. I can't imagine Gabe saying "something with a 3 will be announced" and it being anything other than HL3, since that would just be trolling of the highest order imaginable.

The "strongest case yet" is yet more MASSIVELY overblown fan angst speculation over a two sentence e-mail. They didn't even check if the sites they're hyperventilating about were Valve owned.

Call me, oh I don't know, an evil minded cynic with a big meany face, but I'm going to need more to go on than just this.

subedii on
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    subedii wrote: »

The "strongest case yet" is yet more MASSIVELY overblown fan angst speculation over a two sentence e-mail. They didn't even check if the sites they're hyperventilating about were Valve owned.

Call me, oh I don't know, an evil minded cynic with a big meany face, but I'm going to need more to go on than just this.

Yeah, I mean it's the strongest case yet in a 5 year string of weak to fabricated cases.

edited April 2012
    Fair point.

Left 3 Dead confirmed.

subedii on
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I can't wait for E3 and valve to announce a game that isn't HL3, just for the all the nerd rage. It will be delicious.

Absolutely epic trolling at its finest.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I can't wait for E3 and valve to announce a game that isn't HL3, just for the all the nerd rage. It will be delicious.

Absolutely epic trolling at its finest.
    1LNW

Right?

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    3 games they can announce:

Half-Life 3
    Team Fortress 3
    Portal 3
    Left 4 Dead 3
    Dota 3

reVerse on
    edited April 2012
    Valve super brawl: The fate of three worlds.

A smash brothers style brawler. As the closure of the super-portal at the end of Episode 2 has unintended side effects, a massive quantum pulse has fused three separate universes together into an unstable configuration. With characters from HL / Portal, Team Fortress, and Left 4 Dead, all must vie for Dr. Kleiner's latest invention, the universal harmonic regulator, lest their reality be the one to be destroyed.

Dibs on the Hunter.

subedii on
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Why are people suddenly mentioning Animal Crossing? Was it in the US Nintendo Direct? If so then I'm a pensive bunny as it wasn't mentioned at all in the European one.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Why are people suddenly mentioning Animal Crossing? Was it in the US Nintendo Direct? If so then I'm a pensive bunny as it wasn't mentioned at all in the European one.

In the Japanese stream they said "2012" so I don't know why anyone's optimistic about it coming out soon when we don't even have a Japanese release date.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Cool. Fine by me as well. The longer they're working on it the more chance we have that it is actually a worthwhile sequel and not just another slightly different version of the same thing.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Hell, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Valve shows off something entirely new at E3 that isn't based off one of their existing properties. I'd almost consider that more likely.

But it's probably Team Fortress 3.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    You have to bear in mind that the way Valve works is that a project doesn't get worked on unless there are people who get up and decide they. want to work on it.

So unless there are people that got together at Valve and started banging out TF3 because they felt like they could do something new that the framework of TF2 doesn't allow? Chances are that isn't happening.

Based on that I'd optimistically guess HL3, or far more hilariously, HL2:Ep3

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    You have to bear in mind that the way Valve works is that a project doesn't get worked on unless there are people who get up and decide they. want to work on it.

So unless there are people that got together at Valve and started banging out TF3 because they felt like they could do something new that the framework of TF2 doesn't allow? Chances are that isn't happening.

Based on that I'd optimistically guess HL3, or far more hilariously, HL2:Ep3

It'll be HL2: Ep3.

HL3 will be a brand new project where Valve uses its billions of dollars to build a real Black Mesa facility, and then fills it with aliens from their very own Lambda complex. It will be monetized as an MMO called "The Black Mesa Experience" where you take control of an android through the real facility.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Hah. I'd like a HL3 announcement, and then at the end of it, "Also, surprise, HL2:E3 is out tomorrow!"

Oh brilliant
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Hah. I'd like a HL3 announcement, and then at the end of it, "Also, surprise, HL2:E3 is out tomorrow!"

I'm almost expecting that, like an Oprah moment where everyone looks under their seats and there's a copy of the game sitting there.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    It's been a while since Valve released any major game, which makes me assume they're working on their next engine. Maybe with a planned staggered release for their flagships (So that once it's done, they can release HL3, L4D3, and possible Portal 3 or TF3 within a year or so).

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I really wonder if they are working on their next engine or not. I mean, the plan was for Source to be modular, and a good chunk of the Portal 2 engine is wholly different from HL2's. So it's more like an evolving engine...

But yeah. I am fairly certain their plans for Ep3 are done. That part of the story needs to be told, and we need to move onto the next major plot point.. but FPS's have changed so much, even from the time of Ep. 2...

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    You know I'm actually surprised Ninja Gaiden did as bad as it did. I mean as a fan of the series I know that everything I heard about it was pretty bad but I thought that they would as least be able to get a few more sales off of general consumer ignorance.

That being said I guess the game is pretty difficult and as such probably had a more hardcore playerbase who would have at least heard about it in passing.

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    It's been a while since Valve released any major game, which makes me assume they're working on their next engine. Maybe with a planned staggered release for their flagships (So that once it's done, they can release HL3, L4D3, and possible Portal 3 or TF3 within a year or so).

It's only been a year since Portal 2 came out and they have Dota 2 and CSGO in beta. And there's also the Portal 2 puzzle creator and a secret TF2 thing coming. And that's just what we know about.

edited April 2012
    Peewi wrote: »
    SanderJK wrote: »

It's only been a year since Portal 2 came out and they have Dota 2 and CSGO in beta. And there's also the Portal 2 puzzle creator and a secret TF2 thing coming. And that's just what we know about.

People are always making comments about Valve's lack of output, but really, in the past years since the Orange Box they've released at least three "major" games.

subedii on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Skullgirls dev Reverge Labs discusses how working together with a publisher (Autumn Games) gives them different treatment than if they try to be an indie indie title.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-04-16-skullgirls-developing-a-digital-publishing-model
    Wyckoff feels that finding a publishing partner is a must for an independent developer trying to put their game on both Xbox Live and PlayStation Network. "I don't even really know if it's possible to do it without a publisher," Wyckoff said. "You can go straight to the Xbox Indie channel, but then you're locked into the XNA development and you're not going to be able to do a PlayStation version at all if you wanted to. It seems if you're going to be a proper PSN/XBLA developer you're going to need a strong publisher partner involved in that."

Typically publishers like Electronic Arts and Activision would own the brands and the IP, and the developers would own the code, but they would have no say in the story IP and how that would be used in the future. Autumn's model is different. "We're literally true partners in the extension of that IP. To be totally honest, all of our relationships are different. I think every developer has a different viewpoint on things, what's important to them and what's less important," Collmer said. "Certainly we structure our business to work with our development partners to take those core IP that are created on whatever the initial platform is and then extend them, not only horizontally on other games platforms but beyond that into linear and traditional media and merchandising. The way all the relationships are set up, the developers are true partners in that extension exercise across the board. The developers are going to participate alongside of us in the economic benefits."

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular

In the Japanese stream they said "2012" so I don't know why anyone's optimistic about it coming out soon when we don't even have a Japanese release date.

The last two games in the series had nearly identical worldwide releases.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    edit: Wrrrroooooooooooooooooooong threeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaad.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    glad to hear trials is doing well, it's a really fantastic game

• Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Cool. Fine by me as well. The longer they're working on it the more chance we have that it is actually a worthwhile sequel and not just another slightly different version of the same thing.

Generally the console versions of Animal Crossing just update the game Capcom style (Google Animal Crossing for the N64, it's almost the same as the Gamecube version.) While the handheld's tend to innovate.
    Look at the concept art for the map for this game and tell me it's going to be City Folk with a few updates.

Ov3rcharge on
  • ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

Portal 3.

Platform + 3?

3rd game in a platformer franchise?

Gotta be Portal 3.

Zephiran on
    Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
This discussion has been closed.