Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[DnD+GW 4E Discussion] Distinctly lacks anything to Jenga

18384868889100

Posts

  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    That.... is a very strange change.

    i guess i find it odd that it's a move action that grants free actions

    it just seems a little mechanically clumsy compared to just a plain ol 1/encounter interrupt utility

    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar QA Tester -> Game Producer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Horseshoe wrote: »
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    That.... is a very strange change.

    i guess i find it odd that it's a move action that grants free actions

    it just seems a little mechanically clumsy compared to just a plain ol 1/encounter interrupt utility

    Yeah. I don't see why they didn't just make an Encounter version of Shifty.

    freefallagentad_zps635a83ed.png
  • MMAgChMMAgCh remember tomorrow. Registered User regular
    They're free actions so stunned/dominated characters can't benefit from them, and they're not immediate actions so, well, they won't eat up characters' immediate actions, because that'd be a pretty bad deal in a lot of cases.

    Besides, letting everyone in a burst 2 shift once per encounter is more interesting than a 1/encounter minor action shift for the PC itself, I'd say.

  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    i suppose i expect racial powers to be less interesting and more straightforward than that

    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • bssbss BIBIBABIBABIBUBIII Madison, WIRegistered User regular
    It's a bit weird but not that weird. Like what MMAgCh was saying, it's the only way it works mechanically to affect both the PC (can't take immediate actions on their turn) and their allies (free actions can happen whenever, don't get into "is it worth it..." discussions) without being worded even more bizarrely.

    I like it because with a party of kobolds you'd fandango-to-flank through every combat.

    3DS: 2466-2307-8384 PSN: bssteph Steam: bsstephan Twitch: bsstephan
    Tabletop:13th Age (mm-mmm), D&D 4e
    Occasional words about games: my site
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus IT'S DARE! Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's a power that works pretty well with the idea of a Kobold PC working with others to take down a foe that might overwhelm them if they don't use every advantage.

    spartasig.gif
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
  • wildwoodwildwood Registered User regular
    The kobold warlock feat seems pretty good, too. Pretty much perma-CA, if you play it right.

    "Kobold in a Corner" strongly reminds me of "Girlfriend in a Coma", for reasons I can't really explain.

  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    because i would really love it if wotc completely stopped taking their shit seriously in any way at all

    and make a decision like "all kobold feats shall be morrissey themed"


    now that i think about it there are a bunch of smiths songs that already sound kinda like d&d feats or powers

    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    all goblin feats from now on must be themed upon pet shop boys songs

    i decree it

    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • soxboxsoxbox Registered User regular
    Go West
    Move Action
    Effect: You and each ally within 5 squares may shift 3 squares. Every ally must shift in the same direction.

    You were always on my mind
    Close Burst 10.
    Effect: The creature in the burst with the second highest HP is blind until the end of your next turn.

    Fuck it, our covers are better
    Immediate Reaction
    Trigger: An adjacent enemy hits with a melee or ranged attack.
    Effect: You may make the same attack against any enemy. If your attack hits, it deals an extra 1d10 damage.

  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    Horseshoe wrote: »
    because i would really love it if wotc completely stopped taking their shit seriously in any way at all

    Please see Legends and Lore, the 5E discussion thread, or anything written by Monte Cook - :D

  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    well there's not taking shit seriously

    and then there's just being dumb and thinking monte cook knows what the hell he's doing

    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • BrainleechBrainleech Registered User regular
    Monte Cook's books just feel like someone printed up their homebrew system and forced everyone to play it or else

    A.jpg
  • SJSJ Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Monte Cook's books just feel like someone printed up their homebrew system and forced everyone to play it or else

    Welcome to Dungeons and Dragons

  • wildwoodwildwood Registered User regular
    Horseshoe wrote: »
    all goblin feats from now on must be themed upon pet shop boys songs

    i decree it

    Also, Chuck Norris is now a power source. This enables a new role type for character classes - "awesome".

  • AegeriAegeri Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Horseshoe wrote: »
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    That.... is a very strange change.

    i guess i find it odd that it's a move action that grants free actions

    it just seems a little mechanically clumsy compared to just a plain ol 1/encounter interrupt utility

    Yeah. I don't see why they didn't just make an Encounter version of Shifty.

    Because that would have been exceptionally shitty. While the new power is clumsy, it has some interesting tactical worth and avoids the main problem of being able to shift as a minor action (which is ridiculously good, as anyone who has run a very tough encounter with Kobolds knows - Keep on the Shadowfells original Irontooth encounter is a fantastic example). Some of the racial feats are really good, like being able to raise an allys defense (this is never a bad thing).

    I like what they did with the Kobold.

    Edit: Also they are one of few DnD 4E races that get Darkvision right off the bat. Depending on your DM that can be more than a very nice bonus and is fantastic for scouting ahead if you're a rogue or similar stealth based build). Plus I am pleased they didn't decide to slap something like like "Half number healing surges" or whatever other complete fucking stupid took over them post essentials. It's just another well designed 4E race that fits in with the others. I find this hard to dislike.

    Aegeri on
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    yeah darkvision is a really really good racial property

    i haven't exactly stayed way up on feats and items in around a year or so

    but last i remember if you didn't get darkvision as one of your racial features it was very difficult to get

    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • TofystedethTofystedeth veni, veneri, vamoosi Registered User regular
    Anyone know why on my laptop for last couple days after signing into the CB, it just loads for a while, then I get a blank white page? I don't get the swirly Silverlight loading image, I do get the login splash, and then just Mozilla doing the loading swirl at the top. Works fine at home.

    steam_sig.png
  • TofystedethTofystedeth veni, veneri, vamoosi Registered User regular
    agggh goddamnit now the Compendium keeps sending me to the mobile site. WTF WOTC!?

    steam_sig.png
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    agggh goddamnit now the Compendium keeps sending me to the mobile site. WTF WOTC!?

    Your first mistake was expecting competency!

    Haven't used the CB in a long while now, I really need to convince some people to join a D&D game again.

    TwitchTV channel: OrokosPA OrokosPA
    Play D&D 4e? :: Check out Orokos and upload your Character Builder sheet! :: Orokos Dice Roller
    The PhalLounge :: Chat board for Critical Failures IRC! :: #CriticalFailures and #mafia on irc.slashnet.org
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    wildwood wrote: »
    Horseshoe wrote: »
    all goblin feats from now on must be themed upon pet shop boys songs

    i decree it

    Also, Chuck Norris is now a power source. This enables a new role type for character classes - "awesome".

    Is this a thing people are still doing?

  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    no but wizards is probably at least that far behind

    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    General RPG discussion thread, right?

    I remember some time ago, I heard about an RPG system where the players were deities cooperating/competing to form a new world, which could then be used as a setting for further campaigns in other systems. It sounded interesting, but I can't remember the title.

    Anybody happen to know what I'm talking about?

    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    I'm not sure if there was ever a system, per se, but there was a game like that played on the boards here a few years ago. I was in it... I'll try to dig it up tomorrow morning.

    In short, you aren't crazed, but no more info than that at the moment.

  • GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    By 'tomorrow morning' I obviously mean 'right now'. It was called Myth -- and here it is. Based on Scooter's earlier Space Myth game, but with fewer rules. A lot of fun, if I recall.

    Man. Five years old already.

    Edit: Durr. Space Myth was actually after the original Myth. I linked to the second run of the game. Sorry.

    GrimmyTOA on
  • Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Five years? I was thinking, like...8 months or something.

    Fuck getting old.

    Thanks Grimmy.

    Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    You're welcome. There may well have been a more recent version, if that makes you feel any better. I was away from the boards for a bit and could have forgotten about it.

  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Halls of Undermountain is weird in terms of 4E adventure design. An adventure for level one PCs has some encounters that have only one level-one enemy, one encounter pits the first level PCs with a single level 12 basilisk, and the final encounter has a handful of low-level kobolds led by a level 8 soldier.

    Friend Code: 1590-5696-7916
    Friend Safari Type: Rock
  • tzeentchlingtzeentchling Dr. Doctor Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    General RPG discussion thread, right?

    I remember some time ago, I heard about an RPG system where the players were deities cooperating/competing to form a new world, which could then be used as a setting for further campaigns in other systems. It sounded interesting, but I can't remember the title.

    Anybody happen to know what I'm talking about?

    Different system, but also deity related, would be Scion, by White Wolf. Great concept (you're a demi-god! survive, fight titans and titanspawn, and become more godly) but I think pretty hard to actually play (or at least I think it would be difficult). A good GM would certainly help.

  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Halls of Undermountain is weird in terms of 4E adventure design. An adventure for level one PCs has some encounters that have only one level-one enemy, one encounter pits the first level PCs with a single level 12 basilisk, and the final encounter has a handful of low-level kobolds led by a level 8 soldier.

    That's odd. I assume they are meant to run away from the Basilisk or there is something else going on to even the odds? Similarly a level 8 soldier is going to one shot most of a first level party isn't it?

    TingleSigBar.gif
    WiiU: JamWarrior
  • SkyCaptainSkyCaptain Registered User regular
    General RPG discussion thread, right?

    I remember some time ago, I heard about an RPG system where the players were deities cooperating/competing to form a new world, which could then be used as a setting for further campaigns in other systems. It sounded interesting, but I can't remember the title.

    Anybody happen to know what I'm talking about?

    I know what you're talking about. There's a few out there already created (Lords of Creation / Dawn of Worlds) and then there's my version that I never finished.

    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Halls of Undermountain is weird in terms of 4E adventure design. An adventure for level one PCs has some encounters that have only one level-one enemy, one encounter pits the first level PCs with a single level 12 basilisk, and the final encounter has a handful of low-level kobolds led by a level 8 soldier.

    That's odd. I assume they are meant to run away from the Basilisk or there is something else going on to even the odds? Similarly a level 8 soldier is going to one shot most of a first level party isn't it?

    The text for the basilisk encounter does mention that it does not pursue the party if they flee it's chamber. However, it also says that "since it is alone, a lucky or particularly skilled group of adventurers could defeat it", and the encounter is designated as being a level 2 combat encounter.

    As for the final encounter, it features:

    * One level 8 soldier
    * One goblin hex hurler
    * Three kobold quickblades
    * A hobgoblin warmonger and a kobold dragonshield (if they were not defeated earlier)
    * A magic ballista that attacks the PCs
    * 5 false floor pits
    * A rune that teleports enemies into it and immobilizes them (oh, and the soldier gains combat advantage against immobilized enemies)

    This is a level 7 encounter in an adventure for first level PCs. While Halls of Undermountain has some interesting ideas that I'm going to use, I doubt I'll use many of its encounters as written if many of them are like this.

    Friend Code: 1590-5696-7916
    Friend Safari Type: Rock
  • Mikey CTSMikey CTS Hipstah Kitteh Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Halls of Undermountain is weird in terms of 4E adventure design. An adventure for level one PCs has some encounters that have only one level-one enemy, one encounter pits the first level PCs with a single level 12 basilisk, and the final encounter has a handful of low-level kobolds led by a level 8 soldier.

    That's odd. I assume they are meant to run away from the Basilisk or there is something else going on to even the odds? Similarly a level 8 soldier is going to one shot most of a first level party isn't it?

    The text for the basilisk encounter does mention that it does not pursue the party if they flee it's chamber. However, it also says that "since it is alone, a lucky or particularly skilled group of adventurers could defeat it", and the encounter is designated as being a level 2 combat encounter.

    As for the final encounter, it features:

    * One level 8 soldier
    * One goblin hex hurler
    * Three kobold quickblades
    * A hobgoblin warmonger and a kobold dragonshield (if they were not defeated earlier)
    * A magic ballista that attacks the PCs
    * 5 false floor pits
    * A rune that teleports enemies into it and immobilizes them (oh, and the soldier gains combat advantage against immobilized enemies)

    This is a level 7 encounter in an adventure for first level PCs. While Halls of Undermountain has some interesting ideas that I'm going to use, I doubt I'll use many of its encounters as written if many of them are like this.

    Huh. I just picked this up and hadn't had a chance to read through it yet. My first role-playing experience was with the AD&D 2nd Edition Ruins of Undermountain. So when Halls of the Undermountain came out I jumped on picking it up. Hearing this I'm a little disappointed. Well, the maps are still good and all the encounters can't be total garbage. Some of the scenarios still seem interesting so yeah, I think I'll run it eventually with some major modifications.

    // PSN: wyrd_warrior //
    Astro Girl, Paragon of Titan - "And Justice for All" M&M3e
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Mikey CTS wrote: »
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Halls of Undermountain is weird in terms of 4E adventure design. An adventure for level one PCs has some encounters that have only one level-one enemy, one encounter pits the first level PCs with a single level 12 basilisk, and the final encounter has a handful of low-level kobolds led by a level 8 soldier.

    That's odd. I assume they are meant to run away from the Basilisk or there is something else going on to even the odds? Similarly a level 8 soldier is going to one shot most of a first level party isn't it?

    The text for the basilisk encounter does mention that it does not pursue the party if they flee it's chamber. However, it also says that "since it is alone, a lucky or particularly skilled group of adventurers could defeat it", and the encounter is designated as being a level 2 combat encounter.

    As for the final encounter, it features:

    * One level 8 soldier
    * One goblin hex hurler
    * Three kobold quickblades
    * A hobgoblin warmonger and a kobold dragonshield (if they were not defeated earlier)
    * A magic ballista that attacks the PCs
    * 5 false floor pits
    * A rune that teleports enemies into it and immobilizes them (oh, and the soldier gains combat advantage against immobilized enemies)

    This is a level 7 encounter in an adventure for first level PCs. While Halls of Undermountain has some interesting ideas that I'm going to use, I doubt I'll use many of its encounters as written if many of them are like this.

    Huh. I just picked this up and hadn't had a chance to read through it yet. My first role-playing experience was with the AD&D 2nd Edition Ruins of Undermountain. So when Halls of the Undermountain came out I jumped on picking it up. Hearing this I'm a little disappointed. Well, the maps are still good and all the encounters can't be total garbage. Some of the scenarios still seem interesting so yeah, I think I'll run it eventually with some major modifications.

    Yep, that is totally the thing a DM should always do anyway. Adapt as necessary!

    Simplifying an encounter seems like a pretty trivial task compared to coming up with the content that the module provides.

    TwitchTV channel: OrokosPA OrokosPA
    Play D&D 4e? :: Check out Orokos and upload your Character Builder sheet! :: Orokos Dice Roller
    The PhalLounge :: Chat board for Critical Failures IRC! :: #CriticalFailures and #mafia on irc.slashnet.org
  • Mikey CTSMikey CTS Hipstah Kitteh Registered User regular
    Infidel wrote: »
    Mikey CTS wrote: »
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Halls of Undermountain is weird in terms of 4E adventure design. An adventure for level one PCs has some encounters that have only one level-one enemy, one encounter pits the first level PCs with a single level 12 basilisk, and the final encounter has a handful of low-level kobolds led by a level 8 soldier.

    That's odd. I assume they are meant to run away from the Basilisk or there is something else going on to even the odds? Similarly a level 8 soldier is going to one shot most of a first level party isn't it?

    The text for the basilisk encounter does mention that it does not pursue the party if they flee it's chamber. However, it also says that "since it is alone, a lucky or particularly skilled group of adventurers could defeat it", and the encounter is designated as being a level 2 combat encounter.

    As for the final encounter, it features:

    * One level 8 soldier
    * One goblin hex hurler
    * Three kobold quickblades
    * A hobgoblin warmonger and a kobold dragonshield (if they were not defeated earlier)
    * A magic ballista that attacks the PCs
    * 5 false floor pits
    * A rune that teleports enemies into it and immobilizes them (oh, and the soldier gains combat advantage against immobilized enemies)

    This is a level 7 encounter in an adventure for first level PCs. While Halls of Undermountain has some interesting ideas that I'm going to use, I doubt I'll use many of its encounters as written if many of them are like this.

    Huh. I just picked this up and hadn't had a chance to read through it yet. My first role-playing experience was with the AD&D 2nd Edition Ruins of Undermountain. So when Halls of the Undermountain came out I jumped on picking it up. Hearing this I'm a little disappointed. Well, the maps are still good and all the encounters can't be total garbage. Some of the scenarios still seem interesting so yeah, I think I'll run it eventually with some major modifications.

    Yep, that is totally the thing a DM should always do anyway. Adapt as necessary!

    Simplifying an encounter seems like a pretty trivial task compared to coming up with the content that the module provides.

    Absolutely. Generally I perfer to adapt on the fly. My players are clever bastards (I'm looking at you @Nealneal ). It keeps me sharp for when they throw something at me I wasn't prepared for. But since I have forewarning now, I'm sure by the time I'm done college-ruled loose leaf paper will be liberally littered between all the pages.

    // PSN: wyrd_warrior //
    Astro Girl, Paragon of Titan - "And Justice for All" M&M3e
  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    What?

    It's not my fault racist Blackfang gnolls think all tieflings look alike.

  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    So, is this the right thread to talk about Gamma World?

    I'm thinking of running a homebrew adventure; I have the GW base set, one of the modules (can't remember offhand which), and a few packs of the trading cards. Never run or played 4E before.

    We've been playing Call of Cthulhu, and I'd like something lighthearted to bring us out of the doom & gloom, so I was thinking about having a silly adventure involving an evil warlord harvesting people's genetics in order to re-create a living body for his dead blonde ex-girlfriend, whose personality he has copied onto a mainframe computer, and whom he has based an evil religion around (to impress her). Turns out she wasn't a natural blonde, and the AI copy still doesn't like him anymore, but why should that stop a good gene-harvesting?

    Anything special I should remember when running GW in specific or 4E in general? I was thinking of just lumping all the trading cards into a communal pile instead of having people keep their own side decks. Or are the side decks a good thing?

    Gary Gygax wrote:
    ''The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules.''
  • AntimatterAntimatter if you want to talk to me look elsewhere.Registered User regular
    No need for side decks, they can draw from the two alpha and omega decks you have

  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Yeah go with a central pile. It helps with the slot machine loot/powers stuff and can enhance gameplay.

    steam_sig.png
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I still don't really have a handle on how the slot machine works, thematically. Like, mutants just always draw a new power for every encounter? There's a pile of old tech lying around after every battle?

    Gary Gygax wrote:
    ''The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules.''
Sign In or Register to comment.