As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MMA 18: [MMA]rrested Development: UFC Supports Drunk Driving and Domestic Violence

• sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    i dislike jones specifically but in general i just don't like ridiculously invincible personas. i can't stand the mystique surrounding people like gsp, silva, jones, etc. no one's invincible, and this 'but he's totally different from everyone else' thing bothers me. anyone can lose shut up!

I don't think he's invicible, he just had an optimal body type, a strong drive to get better, and a lot of inventiveness in the arena (a.e. who chokes out Lyoto standing? who elbow-boxes Rashad to get past his hand-holding nonsense?). In fact if he were slicker/smoother I'd enjoy him less, but I love that you can see him thinking as he fights.

Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Billy ChenowithBilly Chenowith Registered User regular
    Also, I'm so glad Jon won. He takes risks that Rashad refused to take to win the fight. Rashad needed to step in and put himself at risk, but he was too scared to bother.
    I don't really see what more Rashad could have done. It's not like he wasn't engaging Jones, but there's only so much you can do when the other guy has you beat in wrestling, striking, size, strength, range and cardio.

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Rashad could have tried more take downs

He tried for 4, and Jon Jones has never been taken down ever D:
    Even when Rashad had his back he couldn't do anything with it, and it wasn't for lack of trying.

• sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    Also, I'm so glad Jon won. He takes risks that Rashad refused to take to win the fight. Rashad needed to step in and put himself at risk, but he was too scared to bother.
    I don't really see what more Rashad could have done. It's not like he wasn't engaging Jones, but there's only so much you can do when the other guy has you beat in wrestling, striking, size, strength, range and cardio.
    He played it way too safe in r4 and especially r5. He fought to minimize the dmg he took which is smart in an even fight or when you're ahead, but stupid (and extremely boring to watch) when you've been crushed for 2-3 round in a row. In r5, he KNEW he was losing and still refused to get a little wild, try for takedowns, go for a series of headkicks, etc.

I don't appreciate a boring fighter who won't take risks to win. Jones didn't fight his most entertaining fight, but he was the only reason it was mildly interesting.

Walkerdog on MTGO
  • Pink MoonPink Moon Registered User regular
    i dislike jones specifically but in general i just don't like ridiculously invincible personas. i can't stand the mystique surrounding people like gsp, silva, jones, etc. no one's invincible, and this 'but he's totally different from everyone else' thing bothers me. anyone can lose shut up!

i think what you mean is no one is invincible forever.

Jones isn't going to be getting his anytime soon. And if anyone actually is different from everyone else it's Jones- I can't think of anyone else who has technique, strategy and physicality maxed out the way he does.

Maybe Overeem, but he isn't as good strategically and doesn't have the Mr. Fantastic reach.

He wasn't playing it safe, he was gassed from taking multiple hard shots in earlier rounds.

I never really saw a good opening for a takedown for Hashad. At any given point in the fight it would've looked telegraphed.

I'm assuming Jones regularly out wrestled him in practice as well.

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2012
    he didn't really go for serious takedowns early in the fight. that might have been a wiser tactic, once it became clear what the outcome of the striking game was going to be. iirc the first takedown attempt was in round 3, with him already sporting deep, open mouthed breathing.

Organichu on
    He wasn't playing it safe, he was gassed from taking multiple hard shots in earlier rounds.

Either way, he didn't appear to try anything that was of any risk once the fight was basically decided if it went to a decision. He didn't try to win late.

Walkerdog on MTGO
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Best tko reaction ever

Climbing an invisible ladder

It looked like he was wrestling a ghost to me. it was pretty great. i look forward to the inevitable gifs.

• SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Here's a link for a gif of Schaub:
    http://i43.tinypic.com/345hky9.gif

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    I score that fight a round one TKO for Rothwell and a UD for Invisirothwell.

• dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    Spectrum wrote: »
    AAAAAAA
    climb away!
    climb away!

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Rashad landed 3 strikes in the 5th round, 1 of which was a leg kick. The dude was done after eating those elbows in the 2nd round, he barely produced any offense and was breathing heavily through the mouth

Did you not see how he looked between rounds on the stool? He looked miserable. Bones hits deceptively hard and once he lands on a guy the guy never seems to recover

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
    I think as soon as Hashad started to have problems he decided to just try and avoid getting knocked out for pride's sake.

so i guess i'm a little upset that we haven't seen Jones knock someone the fuck out like they're a ragdoll since he beat Shogun a year ago.

• [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    Pink Moon wrote: »
    so i guess i'm a little upset that we haven't seen Jones knock someone the fuck out like they're a ragdoll since he beat Shogun a year ago.

I was also looking forward to this. I thought those elbows were going to do it.

mvaYcgc.jpg
  • SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    Spectrum wrote: »
    AAAAAAA
    climb away!
    climb away!
    The funniest caption I saw on Sherdog was that he was trying to keep his soul from leaving his body.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
    [Tycho?] wrote: »

I was also looking forward to this. I thought those elbows were going to do it.

Probably would have if Rashad had ever opened up, but he basically turtled up on his feet and...

Walkerdog on MTGO
    Rashad just got mesmerized. Hurt, and mesmerized. He launched no offence at all. Where were his takedown attempts? That was the only way he could have won.

But this happens frequently to guys as good as Jones. GSPs opponents also look this way. They launch some brief offense early, and get hurt badly for it. After that GSP just shuts them right down, and they feel there is nothing they can do.

Its an indicator of just how good Jones is, but it makes for some boring fights.

mvaYcgc.jpg
  • DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    So, does anybody care that Torres got knocked out bad for the second time?

I must admit, he didn't look confident in himself, even at the beginning of the fight before the fight ending exchange happened.

• DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Dangerbird wrote: »

I must admit, he didn't look confident in himself, even at the beginning of the fight before the fight ending exchange happened.
    I don't like Torres so I was glad to see him get knocked the fuck out again. That is the limit of my concern.

war mir

war mir

war mir

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    war mir

war mir

war mir

you gay

mir gonna break jds' punching arm

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    Pony wrote: »
    war mir

war mir

war mir

you gay

tumblr_lfygdiPoEk1qzbqkvo1_500.png

Dynagrip wrote: »

I don't like Torres so I was glad to see him get knocked the fuck out again. That is the limit of my concern.

Not a big fan of rape jokes?

He hasn't been the same since those two devastating back to back losses to Bowles and Benevidez. Getting knocked out cold for the first time in your career, then being forced to tap for the first time as well can really change a fighter I guess.

• TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    s9csn.png

In the last month, Roy Nelson has:

-Trolled his fans: "I got asked to fight Cain for the title!" <- Last night

-Lied about cutting to 205 if he got 100k FB fans

I am kinda annoyed with him right now.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    I didn't really believe it, but that is still a dick move. Cain vs Bigfoot is a much better fight.

mvaYcgc.jpg
  • ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    Dynagrip wrote: »

Not a big fan of rape jokes?

He hasn't been the same since those two devastating back to back losses to Bowles and Benevidez. Getting knocked out cold for the first time in your career, then being forced to tap for the first time as well can really change a fighter I guess.

Also, he was "really good" at one time just like Tito Ortiz, Frank Shamrock, Chuck Liddell, etc. were "really good" one time. Age, tons of fights and younger, stronger, faster and more well-rounded guys will all eventually catch up to you. Just the name of the game.

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    Separate post for news: Evans/Jones edition!

Jones in the conversation for GOAT? http://www.mmafighting.com/ufc/2012/4/22/2966431/at-24-jon-jones-moves-into-g-o-a-t-consideration#3281083

Evans says there is a small possibility for him at 185 (personally, I wouldn't mind seeing that...shake things up): http://www.mmafighting.com/ufc/2012/4/22/2966714/rashad-evans-wont-rule-out-move-to-middleweight-but-likely-to-stay-at

Dana talks about Jones' future at HW: http://mmajunkie.com/news/28379/ufc-champ-jon-jones-eventual-move-to-heavyweight-not-going-to-be-that-fun.mma?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

I'd like Bones to take the next few months off and not fight Hendo until the New Year's show. He deserves the break. 5 fights in the past 14 months, 4 against former champs. Crazy schedule.

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
    dammit roy

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    edited April 2012
    If Evans can retain his speed at 185 he'd have a legit chance at blanketting Anderson for a win, assuming Anderson doesn't retire after the Sonnen fight.

815165 on
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    Finally watched the fights so I'm back from MMA information blackout (But Jones vs Evans was still ruined by my freaking youtube subscriptions front page)

I still dislike Bones Jones, but gotta give him credit, Rashad came in looking pretty good and Jones just shut him down after the second round. Most of his shots look effortless because he's got good form, but they land hard and accurately. And god damn his elbows seem like they have as much range as most dudes' punches.

Still, as nasty and talented as he is, his fights just aren't that fun to watch. It's fun watching dudes get beat because of superior skill or training or heart. Watching dudes get beat because they're simply physically unable to get inside of Stretch Armstrong's range is just... Meh.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    Dammit Roy. To be fair, I was suprised he would be getting a contender fight after losing to Werdum via badboxing.

I would like Rashad at MW and Jones at HW, both seem to be fighting in a division they are too big / too small for, Rashad could easily make 185 and Jones has nothing left to do at LHW (Hendo?). Problem is LHW loses two of it's better names.

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Still, as nasty and talented as he is, his fights just aren't that fun to watch. It's fun watching dudes get beat because of superior skill or training or heart. Watching dudes get beat because they're simply physically unable to get inside of Stretch Armstrong's range is just... Meh.

As sad as I feel saying so, this is exactly why Hendo isn't going to do well against Jones. He's just not going to be able to close the distance to land that right hand.

Anyone else notice that Jones' corner, in between giving advice to him, was shouting "STANKY LEG!" at Rashad?

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    Campy wrote: »
    Kana wrote: »

As sad as I feel saying so, this is exactly why Hendo isn't going to do well against Jones. He's just not going to be able to close the distance to land that right hand.

Anyone else notice that Jones' corner, in between giving advice to him, was shouting "STANKY LEG!" at Rashad?

Yeah I mean Hendo is fabulous, but Bones' accurate striking and ridiculous range is just a terrible matchup for him. Hendo's primary defense is guys being afraid to get hit by one of his H-bombs, but he's no boxer, and Jones could pick him apart effortlessly from range until Hendo gasses out.

That being said if Hendo somehow pulled it off I'd be dancing in the street, it would just be the best thing eeeever.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    Don't forget we still don't know what'll happen if Jones gets put on his back. And Henderson has freakin' hellacious ground 'n pound.

Remember the punches he threw to put away Babalu? That was some violent shit.

That being said... Jones will probably win.

• Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular

How does this not count as Jones knocking someone the fuck out. It wasn't from strikes but it doesn't get more knocked out as that.

BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
This discussion has been closed.