As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Airbender] The legend of Korra: I am the solution.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    It probably happened off screen since it goes from Tenzin letting her stay to Korra's press release with Chief Beifong standing nearby.

I'm also skeptical of lightning bending becoming more common (and half-refuting my "there isn't a fire bender at every furnace" speculation on current tech), but you could argue it's a sign of the times. The spirituality required to perform lightning bending is no longer needed and so people like Zolt can use lightning bending. 'Course we know next to nothing of Zolt and Azula seemed to have mastered it by being a prodigy/perfectionist.

I am greatly enjoying the series setup though. In Republic City's current state of might makes right, Korra's current attitude and actions will just end up fanning the flames than solving anything.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    I never did see the movie.

Man, I can't wait for the movie to come out. It looks like it's going to kick all kinds of ass. I am so excited!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds4VkFOgOgQ&feature=related

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Nova_C wrote: »
    I never did see the movie.

Man, I can't wait for the movie to come out. It looks like it's going to kick all kinds of ass. I am so excited!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds4VkFOgOgQ&feature=related

The only thing it did well was advertising. Some of the clips
    like when they showed Yue & Sokka watch the Fire Nation fleet sailing toward the Southern Water Tribe
    were enticing. Glad I didn't fall for it.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    I love Korra as the main character. I love that she's a (freakishly strong) chick, that she has curves and muscles and isn't just "inexplicably good at fighting super model," that she has some pretty understandable flaws for an overconfident teenager born into circumstances she doesn't even realize are privileged, that she looks balls to the walls awesome when they animate her fighting. and also she's BROWN! BROWN! BROWN LADY LEADING PROTAGONISTS IN THE HOUSE!

Korra is one of the best protagonists ever.

I'm really hoping that she leaves a lasting impression on the current generation of youth and we get more depictions of women in fantasy and other genres like her when they come of age.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    I love Korra as the main character. I love that she's a (freakishly strong) chick, that she has curves and muscles and isn't just "inexplicably good at fighting super model," that she has some pretty understandable flaws for an overconfident teenager born into circumstances she doesn't even realize are privileged, that she looks balls to the walls awesome when they animate her fighting. and also she's BROWN! BROWN! BROWN LADY LEADING PROTAGONISTS IN THE HOUSE!

I'm really hoping that she leaves a lasting impression on the current generation of youth and we get more depictions of women in fantasy and other genres like her when they come of age.

Agreed. We need more serious female protagonist cartoons.

• Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »

Agreed. We need more serious female protagonist cartoons.

I think the best part is she looks like she can fight.

So on top of getting a bad-ass gung-ho brown girl kicking all sorts of ass and being awesome and having flaws, we get one who doesn't exactly fit the "Thin is the only way to be pretty" archtype by having her pretty fucking ripped.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I think the best part is she looks like she can fight.

So on top of getting a bad-ass gung-ho brown girl kicking all sorts of ass and being awesome and having flaws, we get one who doesn't exactly fit the "Thin is the only way to be pretty" archtype by having her pretty fucking ripped.

Her character design also leans towards the stockier body type.

Which is cool.

Hips all up in.

• Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    My assumption with how lightning bending works is that it's just like metal bending. It seemed impossible only because nobody knew how to do it. It was a secret technique of the Fire Nation royalty, and since then, through necessity of needing to generate electricity, it's become far more common. They needed Toph to discover metal bending, but now any old earth bender can do it because it's just a technique.

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Behemoth wrote: »
    My assumption with how lightning bending works is that it's just like metal bending. It seemed impossible only because nobody knew how to do it. It was a secret technique of the Fire Nation royalty, and since then, through necessity of needing to generate electricity, it's become far more common. They needed Toph to discover metal bending, but now any old earth bender can do it because it's just a technique.

Uh... what? No. I don't think that's true at all. The elite cops can metal bend, sure, that doesn't mean just anyone can.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular

How much of her strength is from being physically overpowering, and how much is from martial arts techniques using her opponent's strength against him (a la the Kiyoshi warriors)? I don't think she could actually fling that enormous bouncer/mechanic guy. But who knows, Mako threw that chi blocker against a wall pretty effortlessly when he was in the steam.

Also, re: Various peoples and their real world analogues, I always took it as:
    Water = Eskimo/Inuit
    Air = Tibetan
    Earth = Chinese
    Fire = Japanese

• Options
    Morblitz wrote: »
    Raynaga wrote: »
    Not sure about the lightning bending becoming all super common now - even triad guys can do it? The pinnacle of fire bending?

The rest was ok. I'm having trouble with it in that Aang was a much more likable protagonist.

No, it's not a common thing.
    The ONE triad guy that could do it has a nickname after his ability. Lightning bolt Zolt. Because it's kind of a big deal. When I saw him bend I expected to see lightning.
    He's also fairly old. I'd wager he had a lot of training. Lightning bending isn't something that the common trash can do. It's an exceptional technique.
    We don't know enough about Zolt to make assumptions based on how common he is. Maybe he's a bending prodigy? Might be why he rose to the top of the triads?
    Who knows?

He could have had that nickname because it rhymed.

• Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular

Uh... what? No. I don't think that's true at all. The elite cops can metal bend, sure, that doesn't mean just anyone can.

The whole police headquarters is built around being able to metal bend. That tells me that every cop there can metal bend. Which means that any earth bender can metal bend with proper training. That's what I mean.

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options

The whole police headquarters is built around being able to metal bend. That tells me that every cop there can metal bend. Which means that any earth bender can metal bend with proper training. That's what I mean.

Zuko couldn't lightning bend even with training from Iroh.

Also, Korra presumably can't metal bend either, or they would have mentioned it by now, despite having access to some of the best earth bending teachers available.

• Options
    Air=Tibetan makes more sense than what I thought.

But yeah, the water tribe is definitely modeled after North American aboriginal tribes.

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    It's probably like specializing in your field. It's not enough to prescribe leeches to balance the humors anymore. Now you have to go to medical school and learn neurosurgery or urology or oncology. It's just a specialized skill that is far more ubiquitous now because of need. If you want to be a Republic City cop you go and train and figure out metalbending. If you want to expand your job prospects as a firebender you figure out lightening.

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    "We need thousands of tons of metal shipped in to construct a police station in Republic City."
    "Wouldn't it be much cheaper to use common locks instead of solid metal doors that can only be opened by earth benders?"
    "Shush you. This looks cooler."

• Options
    Tertiee wrote: »
    Klyka wrote: »
    I love the idea of a "power plant" in the Avatar world.
    And of course Lightning Benders being super normal and casual now.

That part made so little sense.

I thought Mako was just redirecting the lightning which isn't as difficult as creating lightning since Zuko could do it.

Yeah they were using Iroh's redirect motions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_g7liFq_3A

• Options
    Eh, some things I can forgive for being unrealistic in a show about elemental magic.

Especially if the things that don't make a lot of sense involve badass uses of that elemental magic.

Honestly, when Toph busts into the Zeppelin in a suit of iron, the show's writers earned a fuckton of leeway from me for just being awesome.

• Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    "We need thousands of tons of metal shipped in to construct a police station in Republic City."
    "Wouldn't it be much cheaper to use common locks instead of solid metal doors that can only be opened by earth benders?"
    That actually sounds like something Toph would do.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

Metal bending doesn't require any unique personality traits such as lightning bending. All it takes is realizing there's earth inside the metal and using it. To do so one likely still needs to be a highly skilled earth bender but that can be achieved through time and work.

And I agree with Behemoth. I'd wager that a large part in lightning bending being as rare as it was was the monopolizing of its training by royalty.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Look, at least the suit is deck plating she ripped off the ship in the first place so it's not like she flew up there wrapped in metal or anything. :bz

Also, is it not possible that metal bending is exclusive to the cops and prevalent there because they were trained by Toph's daughter, who learned her unique style from the badger moles? That is, some aspect of that way of learning earth bending makes it easier for the student to then go on to metal ending….

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Apparently, electricity is common enough to have portable stun sticks with a lot of charge in them.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    So far we haven't seen a metalbender bend anything besides metal that could plausibly have been "made" to be bent. By "made" I mean making metal with more impurities specifically so a wider range of Earthbenders can learn to metalbend. Also, the metalbenders are basically the anti-bender SWAT squad, they have normal police officers as well (that currently seem to only exist to patrol the park right now as that's the only place we've seen them). My guess is the location Korra was at was a special bender holding tank and as such required metalbending to open the door specifically so they can't escape easily.

• Options
    Opty wrote: »
    So far we haven't seen a metalbender bend anything besides metal that could plausibly have been "made" to be bent. By "made" I mean making metal with more impurities specifically so a wider range of Earthbenders can learn to metalbend. Also, the metalbenders are basically the anti-bender SWAT squad, they have normal police officers as well (that currently seem to only exist to patrol the park right now as that's the only place we've seen them). My guess is the location Korra was at was a special bender holding tank and as such required metalbending to open the door specifically so they can't escape easily.

Or they could just use wood.

• Options
    So far we haven't seen a metalbender bend anything besides metal that could plausibly have been "made" to be bent. By "made" I mean making metal with more impurities specifically so a wider range of Earthbenders can learn to metalbend.

I'd wager that's actually exactly the kind the police have.

• Options

Toph doesn't care how things look. :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7E-D1KvXxE

• Options
    Quid wrote: »
    So far we haven't seen a metalbender bend anything besides metal that could plausibly have been "made" to be bent. By "made" I mean making metal with more impurities specifically so a wider range of Earthbenders can learn to metalbend.

I'd wager that's actually exactly the kind the police have.

They should just make everything out of space Earth.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

Classic.

Also, so far we've seen statues of Toph (at the police station), Aang (in the harbor), and Zuko (where Bolin is trying to raise money). Hoping we get to see the rest of Team Avatar.

Tamin on
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular

Which they probably do use for the metalbenders they arrest, but for everyone else, into the metal box you go.

I agree with what someone said a few posts up, they could have very well made some "crappy" metal full of impurities to make it easier for "normal" earthbenders to use.

Alternatively, metalbenders are just cool so go with it

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Toph was such an amazing character. It's a shame they'll never make a live action movie so we'll never see a little girl in person mouth off like her.

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    The "Earth Kingdom=Chinese" only holds up for the most prominent parts. You gotta remember that it's the largest landmass in the avatar world, and we've already seen sand benders and swamp benders inhabiting it. There were also some very non-asian looking people in various parts of the Earth Kingdom so it's certainly the most diverse. But it's true that the most prominent part of Earth Kingdom has a certain Chinese flair and look to it.

• Options

Wood tends to make for a pretty awful jail. There's a reason the show nor the real world uses it for even regular people.

• Options
    And oh man the Chinese words all over the place. I am loving it. Shouted out "It's the jingcha, cheese it!" when the blimp came in to view.

• Options
    Toph was such an amazing character. It's a shame they'll never make a live action movie so we'll never see a little girl in person mouth off like her.

It's great that MNS never had the chance to bastardize her character, though.

• Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    I should probably rephrase: I am not at all saying Korra is bad as the protagonist. She's not. I just am not connecting with her as quickly as I did with Aang.

I stand by the lightning comment. Even redirecting it is supposed to be super difficult/dangerous. An entire plant of people doing it is over the top, let alone if it was actual generation and not redirection.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    It seems perfectly natural that all these previously super advanced bending techniques are becoming mundane tasks that almost anybody can perform. It probably obviously takes more skill to do, but that's about it. Mainly because they always struck me as simply logical extensions of bending. Like bloodbending for instance. It didn't seem like it was some mystical evil power. It just took a random person to make the logical leap that "hey, isn't blood mostly made up of water and other bits anyways?", and then to test that out during a full moon when their power was at their maximum. And whaddayaknow, it worked.

At the end of the day, it all boils down to simply thinking outside the box. And once you do, it seems pretty simple and obvious, and there's no real reason you can't teach others to do the same.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    It seems perfectly natural that all these previously super advanced bending techniques are becoming mundane tasks that almost anybody can perform. It probably obviously takes more skill to do, but that's about it. Mainly because they always struck me as simply logical extensions of bending. Like bloodbending for instance. It didn't seem like it was some mystical evil power. It just took a random person to make the logical leap that "hey, isn't blood mostly made up of water and other bits anyways?", and then to test that out during a full moon when their power was at their maximum. And whaddayaknow, it worked.

At the end of the day, it all boils down to simply thinking outside the box. And once you do, it seems pretty simple and obvious, and there's no real reason you can't teach others to do the same.

I'm hoping they get creative like this with the avatar in this show. In the original show its always bend this or that, you almost never saw Aang mix elements to do something creative no one else could.

• Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Except that refining fire to the point of a lightning bolt isn't a logic-based leap, its a skill-based one. As shown by Zuko, one of the best firebenders on the planet, never being able to do it despite hands-on training by one of the inventors of the technique.

I don't know - I like the show overall so far and I don't want to drag this into a nitpick-fest, it just kind of stood out and bothered me a tad.

Raynaga on
  • Options

Hit Girl?

• Options
    The_TuninatorThe_Tuninator Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Tamin wrote: »

Classic.

Also, so far we've seen statues of Toph (at the police station), Aang (in the harbor), and Zuko (where Bolin is trying to raise money). Hoping we get to see the rest of Team Avatar.

Yeah, if Sokka doesn't get a statue, there is no justice in the world.

I am loving how Korra seems to be channeling Toph's "AH YEAH LET'S DO IT", no fucks given persona, at least as far as the "violence solves everything" approach goes.

The_Tuninator on
This discussion has been closed.