As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

War [Hesher] Battle Master

• Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Rush is playing 10 minutes from my house this October. My first show in Bridgeport since Judas Priest and Anthrax back in 2005.

In more hilarious news, Iced Earth is apparently opening up for Hellyeah and Volbeat on their next tour.

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
  • MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    So I was going through the used albums in the local record store today and found this on CD.

Ka-ching.

6756.jpg

“Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    I don't know if it's a recent thing, or if I'm just tragically unhip, but apparently people can upload full shows on youtube now. I found a Bolt Thrower show from 1989.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zf7pECsLPY&feature=relmfu

steam_sig.png
  • autothrallautothrall Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    So I was going through the used albums in the local record store today and found this on CD.

Ka-ching.

Sweet. Their best!
    I don't know if it's a recent thing, or if I'm just tragically unhip, but apparently people can upload full shows on youtube now. I found a Bolt Thrower show from 1989.

I think it's pretty neat, actually, that is until rights holders start having them removed (if they're from official releases).

autothrall on
  • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    I found a whole ton of bootleg recordings some guy uploaded from a Vinnie Vincent Invasion show in '89 or something. Garbage quality but kinda cool to see them in a live setting.

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Bolt Thrower are playing a festival in Holland in August where the tickets cost €6.66. I really wish I didn't already have plans, since going to that would have only cost about €20 more than I paid to go see them in the city I live in!

• GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    Looking forward to the rest of your Priest discography, Auto. Didn't realize you were starting that so soon.

Looking forward to the rest of your Priest discography, Auto. Didn't realize you were starting that so soon.

Thanks. I'll dive into it a lot more deeply next week.

• GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    Local record store got the new 'Dopesmoker' reissue something like two weeks early, so now I have it. Joy!

How does it compare to the original? Is it significantly different?

• GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    You'll have to give me an hour or so to let you know. I never heard Jerusalem, but the 2003 release had the second track as a live version of "Sonic Titan", whereas this one has a live version of "Holy Mountain" from '94. The album art is different. Not sure I like it as much as the 2003 artwork, but it looks more...appropriate?...than that one did.

• yakulyakul Registered User regular
    speaking of priest, I am hells of in the mood for a good new heavy metal record in the vein of Anvil or Enforcer. In fact Enforcer is due this year or next right?

• Onslaught_FeiOnslaught_Fei Registered User regular
    yakul wrote: »
    speaking of priest, I am hells of in the mood for a good new heavy metal record in the vein of Anvil or Enforcer. In fact Enforcer is due this year or next right?
    New Katana (Swe) should be coming out in less than a month.

XBL: Onslaught Fei
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Okay, so I'm on a huge doom kick right now, and just discovered Bongripper.

However, I prefer my doom to have lyrics as well. Any suggestions?

Stuff I'm listening to already:

YOB
    Electric Wizard
    Pallbearer

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!

YOB
    Electric Wizard
    Pallbearer

They're more along the stoner end of the doom spectrum (As opposed to the classic doom like Katatonia, MDB or Anathema). You'll probably want to check out Sleep, Weedeater, Om, Bongzilla and maybe Earth or Saint Vitus.

Here's a local band that might be of interest too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcLRXDIkEl0

autothrall wrote: »
    New Kreator

I'm diggin' it. Can't wait for that new album.

• CandlemassCandlemass Registered User regular

YOB
    Electric Wizard
    Pallbearer

Been enjoying the Pallbearer album quite a bit as well these past few days. In addition, The Wounded Kings debut should be a great one to check out.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2012
    delete me

Candlemass on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    I'll second The Wounded Kings...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs55TzvV37M

Acrimony is good too...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3QmZmPgm9Q
    (also my favorite song title of all time)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOIti3TFs08
    Cannot express how much I love this song. Just want to play it really loud and enjoy every tone.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tav wrote: »
    Here's a local band that might be of interest too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcLRXDIkEl0

Named in reference to the Fighting Fantasy adventure gamebook? I'm sold.

• MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    Damn it, Tav. Those guys are goooooood.

“Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
    edited April 2012
    Thought this was a pretty good set (gotta fast forward like 45 minutes to get to the actual gig though). James sounded a lot better here than some vids I've seen. Occasionally he still goes a little clean on lines that were originally more aggressive sounding, but it's decent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zfx-RPBHM4A&feature=related

They've got 'em for the other three 'Big Four' bands too, just look over in the related videos.

Amazing how many full gigs they've got up now. Do you think they'll face some legalities over it? I'm especially fond of going through the old Dynamo sets and other stuff from Europe in the early 80s.

autothrall on
  • AbsurðrAbsurðr Näkrå maximum fucking hellRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    New Kreator

Same here.
    Candlemass wrote: »

YOB
    Electric Wizard
    Pallbearer

Been enjoying the Pallbearer album quite a bit as well these past few days. In addition, The Wounded Kings debut should be a great one to check out.

Embrace of the Narrow House before Shadows Over Atlantis? :)

On the doom end, the new Furze is out. I'm missing the vocals for sure, but I guess it might have a wider appeal this way. Also, a new Grendel? I wonder if the samples are still awful.

Huh, the new Cattle Decap skips back over their "progressive" material to their shitty grindcore beginnings. I enjoy it more than the last album but it's not exactly impressive. I wonder who they're playing for anymore.

Absurðr on
    steam_sig.png
    "The Ecstasy of Gold" is still the best way to open a show, I think. Maiden opened up their show last time I saw them with Holst's "Mars, Bringer of War" and it was pretty cool. But "EoG" is just so emotional and powerful. Especially when it drops into something like "Creeping Death".

Absurðr wrote: »
    New Kreator

Same here.

YOB
    Electric Wizard
    Pallbearer

On the doom end, the new Furze is out. I'm missing the vocals for sure, but I guess it might have a wider appeal this way. Also, a new Grendel? I wonder if the samples are still awful.

Huh, the new Cattle Decap skips back over their "progressive" material to their shitty grindcore beginnings. I enjoy it more than the last album but it's not exactly impressive. I wonder who they're playing for anymore.

Haha my mistake. I am just a giant poseur. Didn't realize they had an album before Shadows Over Atlantis.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I didn't care for the new Furze as much as the last. Have yet to listen to the new Grendel, assuming we mean the EBM/industrial one.

• AbsurðrAbsurðr Näkrå maximum fucking hellRegistered User regular
    New Kreator

Same here.

YOB
    Electric Wizard
    Pallbearer

Haha my mistake. I am just a giant poseur. Didn't realize they had an album before Shadows Over Atlantis.
    live another day, climb a little higher, find another reason to staaaaay

I didn't care for the new Furze as much as the last. Have yet to listen to the new Grendel, assuming we mean the EBM/industrial one.
    Yeah I thought he was going to do more with the instrumental focus. Oh well. And yes, the good one. I haven't listened to any EBM in a while, feels pretty great. A few of the songs are meh but I'm happy with it.

steam_sig.png
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    Took me three years to find a real-ass metal show here in Sacramento. But...

large.7q5xt0w5i82a.jpg

xcomsig.png
  • yakulyakul Registered User regular
    Destruction tears shit up live, so yea awesoem

• RotamRotam Registered User regular
    Dave Mustaine's voice is hilarious on that Big Four DVD.

edited April 2012
    After playing guitar for 10 years now, I've decided to teach myself the drums in order to get my project really off the ground since drummers are in short supply around here and they call seem to be into deathcore or brutal/slam death.

I know Auto didn't think highly of the album, but the drum tracking for this album still blows me away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vuk1v2m8BrI

Morgenstern on
    edited April 2012
    @Morgenstern: There's a new Wodensthrone album out, as of yesterday.

Been listening to the new Paradise Lost a bit, it's once more a blend of their earlier death/doom period with the more 90s Gothic rock stuff. This is not the best song on it, but it's still got some cool parts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5CUqLwPl1Q

Also, THIS comes out today, and it's fun if you guys have any loose change around and dig the black/thrash/speed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKmX8y0vRFI&feature=related

autothrall on
    There are some cool songs on the new Paradise Lost, but overall I'm not terribly impressed. Maybe it will grow on me with repeated listens.

edited April 2012
    It's far from their best.

So, didn't take me all that long to figure out the new blogger. Not sure how I feel over the changes, but at least it's smooth and clean. Just when you've done something so many times in repetition, it comes as a shock.

Also, new Moonspell double album. Quite a lot of releases lately, the spring rush.

autothrall on
  • MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Anyone else planning on playing Diablo 3? Been slowly working on a playlist for when I grow bored of the game's music, here's how it looks so far.

Helstar - The King Is Dead
    Running Wild - Black Demon
    X-Wild - Murder in Thy Name
    X-Wild - Die Like A Man
    Celtic Frost - Circle of the Tyrants
    Cirith Ungol - One Foot In Hell
    Rebellion - Ulfberth
    Root - Belial
    Lonewolf - Warrior Priest
    Immortal - Mount North
    Amorphis - Warriors Trail
    Destruction - Mad Butcher
    Slayer - Die By The Sword
    Bathory - Blood and Iron
    Bal-Sagoth - Naked Steel (The Warrior's Saga)
    Mercyful Fate - Welcome Princes Of Hell
    Darkthrone - Black Mountain Totem
    Grave Digger - Play Your Game (And Kill)
    Anata - Vast Lands / Infernal Gates

Songs about battle, demons, spirits, swords, hell, or just some things evocative of Diablo's environments, I think you get the picture! Suggestions? Looking for no more than 2 songs per band.

(PS: Please don't say Amon Amarth or Manowar)

Mgcw on
    edited April 2012
    dude I know is hella excited to be going to see Slipknot, As I Lay Dying. Devil Wears Prada and Whitechapel on some tour. Slayer, Anthrax and Motorhead are also playing this tour. The only song he knows between the three bands is Ace of Spades...

Tav on
    edited April 2012
    On the topic of full sets popping up here and there on Youtube, found this gem tonight. Watching/listening now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvbRxb7WOXg

I also picked up Worship Music on a whim and I think I'm happy enough with "Devil You Know" and "Fight 'Em Till You Can't", the rest is just gravy.

edit: Da fuck?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFeGBI6DMuw

I know Lita wrote some catchy pop-metal tunes but this is fucking badass.

GreasyKidsStuff on