As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MLP: FiM: For the New Lunar Old Republic

• SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    Also, we never got
    any reappearance of Tank this season.

• Wandering IdiotWandering Idiot Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    That was, hands down, the greatest thing the MLP team have ever created.

There nothing that anyone can tell me to make me believe that they could have improved upon it.

The second half of Return of Harmony is still my favorite episode, not least because the resolution was less of a Deus ex Machina and had more emotional resonance. This was still pretty great, though.

I liked that the underlying lesson/theme was basically about dealing with a family member marrying someone who's actually a complete asshole, but they don't see it. In real life there's no changeling reveal to get out of it; you either have to confront the family member and risk alienating them without changing their mind, or stay silent and wait for the inevitable divorce.

They had me sold at:
    Princess Myamore Cadenca! Who the hell is that!

Mi Amore (Italian for "my love") actually, I'm assuming.

Athenor wrote: »
    I was expecting them to be the guards. I'd also like to know just when the switch was made, and how the hell Shining Armor didn't notice.

Mind control, remember?

Wandering Idiot on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    What is she princess of, anyways? I know I'm over-thinking it, but just random royalty outta nowhere.

YL9WnCY.png
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Arteen wrote: »
    I knew it!
    Luna was taking a nap.
    I like to think she had a battle-axe out and was in the thick of things brawling with changelings. (For she is the most metal of ponies.)

And the fight was so one-sided she didn't consider it a thing.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    We need an all-pet episode.

We're definitely due for one.

Yeah, there were sweetie belle and apple bloom centric episodes, but none for scootaloo

steam_sig.png
  • XX55XXXX55XX Registered User regular
    Princess Cadance is now my favorite new character. She's sweet and humble enough to be Twilight's foalsitter, but when the situation demanded it, she could rise up to the occasion and fight for what she believes in. I hope she gets an episode of her own in the future. She deserves one.

dwwdI.jpg

• Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    I'm torn by how awesome and how wasted that feels at the same time. Then again, what art is truly valued?

• Good IdeaGood Idea Registered User regular
    Oh wow. At first you think Snips and Snails and Trixie the Grey Violet look kind of badass.
    Then you notice the background.

Magus` wrote: »
    I'm torn by how awesome and how wasted that feels at the same time. Then again, what art is truly valued?

He's got a gallery of several other detailed artworks. When you can draw like that, items to put in your portfolio can be useful.

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Good Idea wrote: »
    Oh wow. At first you think Snips and Snails and Trixie the Grey Violet look kind of badass.
    Then you notice the background.

FFFFFFFFF

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Ok, saw the "Wedding" episode
    It was badass.
    One tiny tiny criticism is that Shining Armor was never introduced before and the opening exposition of his character was a little ham-handed. The rest of the episode took care of that.

You know what's interesting... When the ponies were battling the buffalo, it was pies...
    Here Twi was all out putting holes in the ground with blasts of magic from her horn.

Also the guy who subbs MLP in NicoNico does two-part episodes over two weeks. I feel sorry for the Japanese. :(

halkun on
    This double post is worth it...
    I was ready 2ch and they think Candice has a Japanese name :)
    Her name is "Mi Amore Candenza"
    But they think it's "Miyamori Cadenza" (宮森・カデンザ)
    I actually thought that's what they said too...

Huh. Wikipedia has this to say on Cadence:
    In Western musical theory, a cadence (Latin cadentia, "a falling") is, "a melodic or harmonic configuration that creates a sense of repose or resolution [finality or pause]."

Finality. End of season. Coincidence? There's also something called a
    Ponies teach me things about music theory. Who would have thought.

• Wandering IdiotWandering Idiot Registered User regular
    In Western musical theory, a cadence (Latin cadentia, "a falling") is, "a melodic or harmonic configuration that creates a sense of repose or resolution [finality or pause]."

I think it's more a reference to this. Which is a related meaning, but more relevant.

Feel like listening to/posting this again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqlpHa0pk8E

edited April 2012

I think it's more a reference to this. Which is a related meaning, but more relevant.

Ah yes, the obvious horse pun. Which I totally missed. Also, apparently it's the name of an executive's daughter.

edit: Turn out there is, in fact, more to it. Daniel Ingram is a very clever composer, and of course he knows all about cadences and such.

Good Idea on
    edited April 2012

Ah yes, the obvious horse pun. Which I totally missed. Also, apparently it's the name of an executive's daughter.

edit: Turn out there is, in fact, more to it. Daniel Ingram is a very clever composer, and of course he knows all about cadences and such.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqX0ud1eN-E&feature=related
    There was actually a double meaning in the song. The song is in the key of Db Major (just like winter wrap up and smile!) . That means that the root chord is a Db major chord. Usually, a Ab major chord will lead into a Db major. This is the V-I chord progression and it is also known as the Authentic Cadence (stick with me here). Now, it seems to resolve to a sadder chord at the end of the phrase. Instead of ending on Eb major around 1:16, it lands on Bb minor: the relative minor of Db major. Now, when a chord progression seems to be heading to the root chord but lands on the relative minor instead, that is called a...
    Deceptive Cadence
    Also worth noting, listen to how Twilight sings the last "forever" in the song. Her little cadenza (I am seriously not making these words up) quotes the opening notes of the theme song
    edit: did my transposing wrong

:D

Goatmon on

• chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Man the people working on this show are really good at what they do. People didn't seem to like the song in the first episode, but I thought it was pretty good the first time through. The bit Goatmon put into the spoiler just makes me like it even more.

steam_sig.png
    I think making her like Luna/Celestia was a mistake. At least, Faust seems to think so.

• BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    What is she princess of, anyways? I know I'm over-thinking it, but just random royalty outta nowhere.

Love, maybe? She had that Cupid spell. Not in the same league as the sun/moon, but meh.

I really hope we get a world building episode about the alicorns sometime. Are they all immortal and physical gods or what? Are there more than Celestia/Luna/Cadence? Where do they come from?

• PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    my fanon observation is: all the changlings had horns and wings. meaning they might have been allicorns at one point in time.

jCyyTSo.png
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Riokenn wrote: »
    Lilli wrote: »
    Well I enjoyed that, but I'm not sure it quite lived up to all the hype. It was still quite good though.

It's basically how I feel as well.
    Athenor wrote: »
    I just loved the villain. I have a bit of a soft spot (to put it mildly) for depictions of shapeshifters/changelings, so this was right up my alley.. to the point where I am thinking of changing my avatar once high rez images/good fanart comes out.

Use it!Use it!Use it!Use it!Use it!

Thank you thank you thank you thank you THANK YOU!

I finally have a pony avatar! Woohoo! :)

... though... given how effeminate my screenname is (hey, I picked it in 96), I should probably take my chances next time there's a chance to get a nickname change and try to go for my WoW handle.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    edited April 2012
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FgKdr3ig6g
    Recently on your Twitter you revealed that you were going to make a return showing to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic after your initial appearance as Discord, can we have any further clarification on this, especially, are you returning as Discord yet again, or is it another character this time?
    I am. I shot a new episode of it, or voiced an episode of it, I don't know now, maybe three, two months ago. I'm not sure what their lag time is, I have no idea where they're going to use it, or when they're going to use it. It's clearly, to me, a phenomenon, because as I said in another, when I was at a Doctor Who convention, the first question, we're all up there, er, not Doctor Who but Torchwood. Oh, and Doctor Who. We're all up there and the first question is My Little Pony. Well, today it's the second question. So, it's strange to me that doing the voice of one episode, or two episodes, whatever it was, on a cartoon could garner so much interest. So, that said, I did a rather big storyline part a couple of months ago, I think. I have no idea what their lag time is between that and you seeing it, but there's more to come.

Premiere of Season 3? Finale of Season 3? Wouldn't expect it to be a mid-season single episode.

SabreMau on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    It really is a case of him being in this internet phenomenon, combined with him playing a character that is essentially Q again. Kind of a perfect storm.

Man he looks old with the beard.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Blurbl wrote: »

Love, maybe? She had that Cupid spell. Not in the same league as the sun/moon, but meh.

That kinda assumes Princess is actually the Equestrian word for Goddess.

I'm not sure I'd want to go that far.

edited April 2012
    Fanart:
    Y93HZ.jpg

SabreMau on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I'm kind of disappointed by the finale. Epic, sure, but it still kind of felt like filler.

Where is my delicious, delicious character development?

jothki wrote: »
    I'm kind of disappointed by the finale. Epic, sure, but it still kind of felt like filler.

The entire season has been nothing but character development. I like the change of pace this time around.

• CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    Well, the one conundrum that was posed by this season has been resolved:

Can each episode be better than the last? Yes they can.

I can't believe I'm the only person commenting on how awesome it was that Spike was playing with the pony figures the whole time. :lol: Great touch.

I squealed when I realized there was a freaking VILLAIN SONG, and it was indeed an epic, epic villain song. Man, this show is incredible; time to wait several more poniless months now. D=

FWnykYl.jpg
  • CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular

I can't believe I'm the only person commenting on how awesome it was that Spike was playing with the pony figures the whole time. :lol: Great touch.

I squealed when I realized there was a freaking VILLAIN SONG, and it was indeed an epic, epic villain song. Man, this show is incredible; time to wait several more poniless months now. D=

EDIT:
    XX55XX wrote: »

The entire season has been nothing but character development. I like the change of pace this time around.

If Season 3 ends up being adventure-focused as is being speculated (with a season-long villain and such), then Season 2 has done a fantastic job of setting up for that, just in terms of how much character development and groundwork has been put into place.

FWnykYl.jpg
    edited April 2012
    So Guys.. He did we do?

eH7BY.png

halkun on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Almost had the fourth row, if it wasn't for Zecora.

Caedere wrote: »

EDIT:

If Season 3 ends up being adventure-focused as is being speculated (with a season-long villain and such), then Season 2 has done a fantastic job of setting up for that, just in terms of how much character development and groundwork has been put into place.

Indeed. I'm somewhat tired of the slice of life episodes and the season finale was refreshing, in that it focused on characters doing stuff instead of being engaged in long dialogues and meaningless animation sequences that try to flesh out their characters. The Mane 6 is already fleshed out enough. I can't see how the writers can push the envelope any further.

• BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    IFRvF.png

Twilight's brother flashback. Celestia tries, and fails against the Changelings. Rarity + Sweetie Belle episode, Applebloom was there, but no Scootaloo, so maybe? I seem to recall a Twilight-less episode. Big Mac and Cheerilee. Zap-apples episode, see Granny Smith's family. Free space. Assertive Fluttershy. Trollestia always. Secret of my excess. Rarity's parents. Derpy spoke. Rainbowdash likes to read now. Pinkiepie obviously broke the 4th wall. Dragon migration. Changelings sorta?

Blendtec on
    Lower left to top right, if you count Candice as being a body swap...

• RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Blendtec wrote: »
    9EohQ.png

Twilight's brother flashback. Celestia tries, and fails against the Changelings. Rarity + Sweetie Belle episode, Applebloom was there, but no Scootaloo, so maybe? I seem to recall a Twilight-less episode. Big Mac and Cheerilee. Free space. Assertive Fluttershy. Trollestia always. Secret of my excess. Rarity's parents. Derpy spoke. Rainbowdash likes to read now. Pinkiepie obviously broke the 4th wall. Dragon migration. Changelings sorta?

Pretty sure the top left refers to a whole episode dedicated to flashbacks like the cutie mark chronicle one. They're changlings, not ponies. Im sure the panel is referring to seaponies or something with the word pony in it.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular

You weren't the only one thinking of this. Spike is awesome.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Quantum TigerQuantum Tiger Registered User regular
    Luna's Bat Ponies?
    It's more of an aesthetic difference than a whole new species though.

EDIT:

Indeed. I'm somewhat tired of the slice of life episodes and the season finale was refreshing, in that it focused on characters doing stuff instead of being engaged in long dialogues and meaningless animation sequences that try to flesh out their characters. The Mane 6 is already fleshed out enough. I can't see how the writers can push the envelope any further.

I would love a higher action to slice-of-life ratio. I'd still want silly day to day problem episodes though and I think there are a surprising number of places the team could go with the characters.

Hmmm, it could turn into a walking the knife's edge kind of scenario...

This discussion has been closed.