As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Legend of Grimrock] is out now!

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I suppose it's my own fault for playing with the sound down.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    How can people play games without any sound? Isn't it part of the experience, or in the case of Grimrock, a really important piece of the gameplay and puzzle-solving? :|

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
    Not off, just really low. Wife was playing Zelda on the Wii and sometimes in marriage you gotta give a little.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    Headphones! :D

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    So, it seems I may be stuck in a difficult to solve situation.

On level 9,
    So it appears I need a skull in order to progress. I don't have any but I left some back on level 8. When I went to back track, I found that two ice lizards had wandered into the checkered room and are keeping the door locked by standing on the wrong switches. So unless there is some hidden skull on level 9, I seem to be pretty screwed.

Not really helpful but you must be the only person in the world I've heard of who didn't take that Minotaur perk!

MhCw7nZ.gif
    Not really helpful but you must be the only person in the world I've heard of who didn't take that Minotaur perk!

I like to be different. I took poison resistance.

• BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    Finished this up over the weekend. Good game. Can't wait for some additional content to play. Just as long as no user created content gets cute with some puzzle the requires 140 torchers to placed in the correct sequence.

• ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Bolthorn wrote: »
    Finished this up over the weekend. Good game. Can't wait for some additional content to play. Just as long as no user created content gets cute with some puzzle the requires 140 torchers to placed in the correct sequence.

Man, I can't wait for the dungeon builder tools. I went with automapping while playing the game, but I damn sure am breaking out a graph paper pad to actually design some dungeons.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    AsAORpDCQAAnRiN.jpg

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Interesting choice to play with four rogues.

Wait, how is it that the last one can use magic?

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    Whiskey.

Battletag BYToady#1454
    Re: the circular teleport. You obviously need to time a dash in between the teleporters and do something before you get zapped back.
    Look left.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    wrong thread

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Hoping to find some troubleshooting help.

Game for me seems to bug out after 10-15 minutes of play. Screen randomly goes black. It's not freezing, I can interact with the world still, and can hit escape to save/load. Other times I get weird flashing yellow textures (kind of hard to describe, will try to take a screenshot later). Seeing a lot of people with issues but none similar to mine (there's people with permanent black screens that just have to turn off antialiasing). I see a lot of threads about it overheating graphics cards? Could that be what's happening?

Random flashing textures certainly sounds like a suffering graphics card.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I've narrowed it down to light sources being the problem. Torches on walls freak out, and the blue teleportation fields do as well, to a lesser extent. Fireballs seem to do it slightly too.

Corpekata on
  • kraz007kraz007 Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    AsAORpDCQAAnRiN.jpg

Love it! Played thru Grimrock but I'd play it again if this was my party :)

Riftforge: a free online RPG with fantasy tactics!

468.png

Blogs: Endless Space - galaxy seeds | Diablo 3 duels
    edited May 2012
    Corpekata wrote: »
    I've narrowed it down to light sources being the problem. Torches on walls freak out, and the blue teleportation fields do as well, to a lesser extent. Fireballs seem to do it slightly too.

To ask the obvious and stupid questions; Drivers up to date? Issues in any other games? Does windowing act any different to full screen?

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    OP needs updating! I need builds and traps! The rest of the internet is too icky! Suppose it's to gamfaqs or something I go, though. Not that it really matters. All human all the time!

• RichardRichard Registered User regular
    Hopefully getting my new computer today and I'm looking forward to trying Grimrock out. Any basic things to think about when creating my party? I don't need a guide to the perfect team but I don't want to end up with four scrawny insectoids getting digested by the first snail I run into.

edited July 2012
    I'm no expert, but here's what I've gleaned so far:

Apparently bow using Minotaur Rogues with the skull trait are uber DPS.

Warriors are the only ones who can use a lot of the armors without a penalty to evasion. And evasion is better than protection.

There are no spell hotkeys, so keep that in mind when deciding on how many mage to make. If you're like me and just had to bring 2, screw 'optimal' party setup, then you'll want to look into this thread about autohotkey. Scroll to the bottom for a post on spells.

It seems like a good idea to take the 'skilled' trait on everyone more or less, but again, not an expert.

If you have a mage with spellcraft you can more or less ditch torches, but otherwise need a torch-mule (who will drown in them if you pick them all up). Keep in mind you need a free hand (EDIT: Or a wand/staff) to cast spells/hold a shield.

Make sure each party member gets a wack in on everything you fight, eventually they'll start getting out of sync leveling anyway, though.

Edit: Turns out you can cast with a wand/staff equipped too.

Xeddicus on
  • Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    Real dungeon crawlers do it in the dark.

Don't sweat your party too much. You can definitely beat the game on normal with a sub-optimal party. I played quite a bit of the game with an insectoid warrior. Mostly just keep in mind that you are only going to get to about level 13, so you only have a little more than 50 skill points to work with.

Which saddens me, as that means you can't max anything unless you focus solely on 1 skill. Which makes for replayability, I guess, but that seems a bit extreme. Maybe I'll grind a little.

• RichardRichard Registered User regular
    Played about 2 hours yesterday, really liking it so far. Ended up making what I think a pretty standard team consisting of 2 warriors (human & minotaur), 1 lizard rogue and 1 insect mage.

Fallen down a hole, found a loin cloth, killed lots of snails (eaten some), put my team on fire and got killed by a small mushroom flinging phlegm. 2 good hours at Grimrock Hotel.

• BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    Always be falling down holes

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    Fall down all the holes

steam_sig.png
    So got to level 12
    and fixed the machine. What a SHOCKER, the voice was evil. I didn't see it being a mechanical cube coming, so I guess they got me there. I'd like to know why my magic doesn't blow the pieces I just installed apart if nothing else, but I suppose if I keep playing I'll (not) find out! Just ran away from it back to level 11.

Also, buttons/levers that have silent or out of visual range effects are evil.

• RamiRami Registered User regular
    Yeah the ending is weird.

However, before you finish make sure that you find
    the real Toorum, he is around 10 or 11 somewhere.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
    Oh, I did.
    It was sad. :cry: I was hoping you'd meet up with him or see him in the ending. Which I suppose you could still do, the single player trick thing that I accidentally looked up notwithstanding (stupid silent buttons...but good thing I did, wouldn't have thought to click a crystal with them).

Hope the editor is released soon. Say, in the next day or 2 when I finish the game. I'll give them until Tuesday so they have the weekend off.

• BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    Gah I hate this game sometimes, on level 4 and I cannot seem to hit anything very hard, two spiders will wipe me out which is annoying as you have to go into a room with four of them

steam_sig.png
  • TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    draw them into a chokepoint and fight them one at a time

EH28YFo.jpg
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    Taranis wrote: »
    draw them into a chokepoint and fight them one at a time

I was, they still murdered me

Was taking ages to just kill one

steam_sig.png
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    I discovered after finishing the 500 spiders on level 4 (and many trips back to the save crystal to resurrect poison-killed pals) that my earth mage had learned poison shield at some point.

Hooray.

s7Imn5J.png
    Try and pull 1 away into a room you can strafe around in a square. I know my friend wasn't aware you didn't have to stand toe to toe with everything at first, hopefully that's also your issue. :P

• DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Yeah, 2x2 dodging is essential later on, best to learn it early. Spider floor is 3.

Even if you can't do 2x2, you can bob back and forth straight back to dodge some hits/buy a little time to let your cooldown expire. May help.

• DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    The other tactic I use, especially with the rooms filled with spiders that have a door, is to fight until my front line are in danger, then close the door and rest. Suuuper cheesy, but I don't give a damn.