As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Diablo 3] Diablo walks the Earth in 5 days. Single digits omg

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    when the servers come back up should I beat it with another class first or grind out a level 4 blacksmith dude?

OR... does anyone have advice on killing 20 enemies at once with the monk? I think I'll drop a bell on them, probably the jar of souls even is my best chance.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Normal only huh. I want my uber lootz, damn. It would still prevent boss rushing in the grand scheme if it was only first kill, but I guess that's a mixed message too.
    You sure do take a random person's statement as fact pretty easily!!

No where is it said that first time boss drops are normal only.

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    Mahnmut wrote: »
    Zek wrote: »
    Fireflash wrote: »
    It's like they think a player will slot nothing but fury spenders on his barb and be stuck wondering why he can't use his abilities.

Most players will know better than to make a completely retarded build like that, but this system protects them from generally poor decisions like adding both Bash and Cleave, etc. It definitely makes the game more accessible, it's just that the visibility and interface for elective mode isn't the greatest.

Talk me down from this: honestly, Bash/Cleave sounds a lot nice than Blash/Hammer or Cleave/Hammer....

I'm with you on disliking the hammer; Rend is pretty awesome though, especially once you get the rune that increases its range.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Normal only huh. I want my uber lootz, damn. It would still prevent boss rushing in the grand scheme if it was only first kill, but I guess that's a mixed message too.

I TRUST you people! Are you saying I'm being...LIED TO!?!?! :evil:

I probably should have worded that differently. If it IS like that I frown, but it's pretty minor overall.

• Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    It's like they think a player will slot nothing but fury spenders on his barb and be stuck wondering why he can't use his abilities.

Most players will know better than to make a completely retarded build like that, but this system protects them from generally poor decisions like adding both Bash and Cleave, etc. It definitely makes the game more accessible, it's just that the visibility and interface for elective mode isn't the greatest.

Talk me down from this: honestly, Bash/Cleave sounds a lot nice than Blash/Hammer or Cleave/Hammer....

Bash/hammer: Use bash against single targets, hammer against clusters. Same basic strategy as Bash/Cleave, but you are getting more damage!

• valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    valiance wrote: »
    The design in these early levels is really fantastic. Aside from the barbarian, who starts out feeling amazing and pretty much stays that way, I found that right about the time I was hitting the Skeleton King with each class I reached a point of badassery that really made things click. Just enough skills to customize a bit and start wreaking havoc in a variety of ways. No class was really boring early on, but the progression of power is just really well timed to hit a sweet spot right before that first real boss.

I actually died against the skeleton king with my DH. I don't feel like I was doing enough damage to him with either chain gang (to quickly wipe out his minions) or puncturing arrow. Rapid fire could do a bit of damage to him, but I just didn't seem to be able to do nearly the damage I could with my monk.

That could have been the weapon too. The highest damage weapon I've found for my DH is a 11.something light crossbow. And I've found no decent hand crossbows at all. :P

Buy a decent hand crossbow from the fence. He offers 16 or 17DPS hand crossbows. Put a decent quiver in your offhand, and two rings with +2-4 damage each and you'll have monster DPS in no time. The DH is much more fun when she can actually kill things. Once she has gear and AOE skills, she becomes fun. Unfortunately it takes till the end of the beta for her to really get off the ground. Twinking yourself some crossbows could get you through that rough patch.

or just abuse the stun on impale.

Not a bad idea on the fence. I didn't even look at the merchants so far because I was pouring all my gold into the blacksmith (who is a couple boosts into journeyman now). It was interesting just seeing what came up in there.

Is it better to do the hand crossbow and quiver, or two hand-crossbows? Will the speed boost from the quiver offset the damage boost from a second weapon? It feels like the quiver makes more sense for bows/light crossbows.

dual wielding is a flat 15% IAS increase, so the quiver is probably actually the inferior source for DPS, as long as both your crossbows are the same DPS. You alternate which hand you fire with, so one great xbow and one shitty xbow can actually reduce your DPS. o.O

thread on dual wielding DPS: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3229373216

this is neat too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vke_bm42cNI

you can see his DPS go down when he goes from using a single high DPS axe to axe + club

valiance on
  • ThisThis Registered User regular
    I hope they add an auction house option for "only display auctions that have a buyout" and/or there are good mods available.

is there anything within diablo 3 to add realid friends?

I'm in love with it now, a friend from high school (almost 10 years ago) was on the beta and we played for a couple of hours today, it was really nice!

• CoffeyCoffey Terre Haute, IndianaRegistered User regular
    I actually died against the skeleton king with my DH. I don't feel like I was doing enough damage to him with either chain gang (to quickly wipe out his minions) or puncturing arrow. Rapid fire could do a bit of damage to him, but I just didn't seem to be able to do nearly the damage I could with my monk.

I died on him the first time that I fought him too but I think it was more because I under-estimated the amount of damage he could do. It was a long, drawn-out fight with me running around and wearing him down over time, then using pots & killing minions for health granules. I used Caltrops everywhere so that the spawning skeletons were easy to avoid. Rapid Fire was my go-to attack.
    Buy a decent hand crossbow from the fence. He offers 16 or 17DPS hand crossbows. Put a decent quiver in your offhand, and two rings with +2-4 damage each and you'll have monster DPS in no time. The DH is much more fun when she can actually kill things.

This is what I'm attempting to do. I have a decent one-hand bow & a quiver, although I only have 1 ring so far. The rest of my gold I was spending on the Blacksmith crafting. I upgraded chest, gloves, bracers & boots that way.

76561197967491341.png
    Variable wrote: »

I'm in love with it now, a friend from high school (almost 10 years ago) was on the beta and we played for a couple of hours today, it was really nice!

Add him by his battle.net email address instead of his battletag.

Variable wrote: »

Add him by his battle.net email address instead of his battletag.

oh right, I was used to the automatic facebook attachment in sc2. thanks!

I guess if I see their name in sc2 I can just get their email from facebook and it will most likely be the same

• UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    Why does the demon hunter have yellow eyes?

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
    I'm realizing now it may actually have gone through and there's just no 'hey it went through' message. I guess I'll find out soon.

• AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

I TRUST you people! Are you saying I'm being...LIED TO!?!?! :evil:

I probably should have worded that differently. If it IS like that I frown, but it's pretty minor overall.

Hi. I'd like to provide some more information to the statement I made earlier.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4427535127?page=2#21

"The SK only drops yellow on your first kill of him per character.
    That is incorrect.The possibility of a boss (or anything, really) dropping magic gear or rare gear when you kill him remains intact on kills subsequent to your first. The probability may change, but it does not change to a probability of zero.

To be clear: On your first kill of a boss in normal difficulty, you are guaranteed a random rare and a class rare, as well as some blues and other stuff. All other kills on all difficulties result in standard drop probabilities. You have a decent chance of getting a rare or two every time you kill a boss."

I should have said it wasn't guaranteed on your next kill. My apologies.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius

Liver problems?

76561197967491341.png
    edited April 2012
    There's a lot more stun available to players in d3 than in d2. Wonder if thats gonna be a problem for bosses. I mean I'm sure theres duration reduction in higher difficulties and later acts but dang: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MftUVW_G9QE&feature=plcp&context=C429f236VDvjVQa1PpcFNxI8IfvPgDMdUOBFQgjoogB0vlDealfs8%3D

so hammer of the ancients does have a small AOE right? the tooltip is very unclear

valiance on
    So it may work like D2 with increased chance per first kill since that's "standard" for bosses with the change being you always get one rare in normal? Stupid semantics!

edited April 2012
    There's a lot more stun available to players in d3 than in d2. Wonder if thats gonna be a problem for bosses. I mean I'm sure theres duration reduction in higher difficulties and later acts but dang: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MftUVW_G9QE&feature=plcp&context=C429f236VDvjVQa1PpcFNxI8IfvPgDMdUOBFQgjoogB0vlDealfs8%3D

so hammer of the ancients does have a small AOE right? the tooltip is very unclear

They have discussed that in higher difficulities there will be diminishing returns on stuns and some bosses will be straight up immune.

Edit: You didn't need multiple demon hunters to do this on that patch - I had em stun locked while solo.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • CutfangCutfang Dancing Bagel WalessssssssRegistered User regular

I believe it is the hunter filled with hatred. It's explained somewhat in the neat Demon Hunter prestory which I quite liked.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/game/lore/short-story/demon-hunter/

Time to read the Barbarian.

Dancing Bagel
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Big thumbs down to the fact that the spell casting classes have their base damage calculated based on weapon damage and can use two handed axes and whatnot. They both look absurd running around with a short bow because it has 14 dps.... I hope that the wands and 'wizard' weapons have enough stuff on them and are well balanced enough that there will be a real incentive for the spell casters to use them rather than simply a high dps axe or something

edit - oh, but big thumbs up to elective mode. Wizard with arcane fireball thing rather than the frost nova is a whole different paradigm

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • ZekZek Registered User regular

Hammer does way more damage than either of them. And they're too similar, you don't need a primary attack for both single and group targets. You can just use your secondary to compensate for the downside of your primary. There are too many extremely valuable skills to be able to waste two slots on slightly different primaries.

• FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    At lower levels you pretty much equip whatever weapon has highest dps. But at higher levels where weapons do more damage on average it'll be that much more important to have gear with +intelligence on it. Wands will be more likely to have advantageous stats for a wizard than a 2 handed axe.

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Big thumbs down to the fact that the spell casting classes have their base damage calculated based on weapon damage and can use two handed axes and whatnot. They both look absurd running around with a short bow because it has 14 dps.... I hope that the wands and 'wizard' weapons have enough stuff on them and are well balanced enough that there will be a real incentive for the spell casters to use them rather than simply a high dps axe or something

edit - oh, but big thumbs up to elective mode. Wizard with arcane fireball thing rather than the frost nova is a whole different paradigm

Their class specific weapons (the doll and orb) provide some very nice benefits which make other choices slightly less appealing.

And I'm sorry but a wizard with a battle axe is awesome.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Aumni wrote: »

Their class specific weapons (the doll and orb) provide some very nice benefits which make other choices slightly less appealing.

This. My wizards in Skyrim and Oblivion have always wielded swords or axes, usually two-handers.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Aumni wrote: »

Yup.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

The change to skill damage keying off weapons addresses one of the biggest imbalances in D2. It needed to be done.

Different weapon types have different probability weights for rolling certain affixes. Martial weapons are more likely to roll stats beneficial for Monks and Barbarians, whereas Wizards will find that wands and foci tend to roll better stats for them (intelligence, arcane power regen, etc.). This gives players some latitude for goofing around but still gently nudges them towards class appropriate gear.

Scosglen on
  • StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Damn, tried to get a beta game going all weekend and got one more errors every time. Guess the stress testing went well. =P

At least it's just a few more weeks till release.

My 1-hand crossbow is 18.4 DPS & adds +2-4 lightning damage. Is there still higher than this in the beta?

76561197967491341.png
    Stress test isn't over, have until tomorrow. Assuming the servers come back.

• SquabmanSquabman Registered User regular
    The circle of life passive seems to be pretty useless on the WD. The only time I have gotten it to actually work is by having 3 dogs raised and dismissing one. Any other time it does not seem to actually raise any dogs. Am I missing something here?

lagbagg.png
  • zenpotatozenpotato Registered User regular
    I found a good wand to be easily the DPS equivalent of a bow. I got one around level 10 that was 16.1 DPS, and it still let me use an off-hand.

edited April 2012
    Squabman wrote: »
    The circle of life passive seems to be pretty useless on the WD. The only time I have gotten it to actually work is by having 3 dogs raised and dismissing one. Any other time it does not seem to actually raise any dogs. Am I missing something here?

You have a 3 dog max. So if you're at that max (which you almost always will be) its not that useful. Yeah I think its a shitty passive. It sounds much better in theory than it is in practice. It was awesome the first time I got it to work, but it doesnt do much. The percentage is low, and you're almost always maxed anyway. There are much better zombie dog spawning runes and passives for sacrifice damage chains.

If it allowed an extra dog it'd be useful. So you summon 3 normally but can spawn a 4th with your passive.

Then Zombie Handler could grant a 5th dog. So you summon 4 normally, but can spawn a 5th with both COL and ZH

Its main use is probably for builds that dont actually use the summon skill. So you can have tanks popping up from your passive without needing to waste a skill slot if your build isnt summoner based.

valiance on
    edited April 2012
    Edit: Posts seem to be time travelling again, this is in reply to the below by InkSplat.

No, it's just rare to get them from blues. Or rarer than from rares, anyway.

Xeddicus on
  • InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    So, was it a bug that I was Salvaging Blues and getting Teeth? It says that they're from Salvaging rares.. but the items were definitely blue.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • zenpotatozenpotato Registered User regular
    Its main use is probably for builds that dont actually use the summon skill. So you can have tanks popping up from your passive without needing to waste a skill slot if your build isnt summoner based.

Bingo.

You can run 3 dogs without using the skill. Random summons, but with just running around in a level, I almost always had 3 dogs up. That leaves a slot open for running an additional ability (especially once you turn elective mode on, since you could run Grasp and Fire Bats at the same time).

zenpotato wrote: »

Bingo.

You can run 3 dogs without using the skill. Random summons, but with just running around in a level, I almost always had 3 dogs up. That leaves a slot open for running an additional ability (especially once you turn elective mode on, since you could run Grasp and Fire Bats at the same time).

I tried doing it without using the 3 dog summon skill, but it did not raise any dogs in an entire clearing of the 4th level cathedral and SK.

lagbagg.png
  • lu tzelu tze Sweeping the monestary steps.Registered User regular
    Squabman wrote: »
    It's probably meant to be synergized with sacrifice.

Which we can't have in the open beta, because they KEPT ALL THE GOOD TOYS FOR THEMSELVES.

Ahem.

World's best janitor
    edited April 2012
    I tried it in another game and it seems to be working now.

And what do you mean we can't have sacrifice? I am using sacrifice / circle of life right now. Although the % of respawn doesn't make sacrifice worthwhile it seems, so I am just going to try summon and sacrifice combo.

Squabman on
    lagbagg.png
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Played Barb to 11 and Monk to 9. Soooo tough to decide what I like. Especially since the Monk felt very blah at first, but by the time I hit the Skeleton King things seemed to be coming together.

There's a pretty good chance I just end up playing both.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
    I have 50.83 damage at level 12 as a Demon Hunter.

76561197967491341.png
This discussion has been closed.