As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Expand my Musical Horizons

y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theoristthe Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
edited April 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
I need new music! Simple as that.

So, I'm pretty much open to anything except country - never have been able to get into that. My older favorite music is stuff like Tool, Opeth, Mastodon, etc. I went through a math-metal phase with Fall of Troy, Meshuggah, Dillinger Escape Plan, etc. I like the White Stripes, Clutch, Faith No More, Mr. Bungle, The Flaming Lips, Primus, Metallica, Megadeth, System of a Down, Soundgarden... I'm just trying to list as many bands as I remember to give some sort of an idea of my tastes. Lately though, I've been way more into stuff like The Walkmen, Gotye, Sleigh Bells (only heard first album so far), Gonjasufi, Little Dragon. I really, REALLY like Flying Lotus and Grimes, Flying Lotus especially. Anything electronic like that would be excellent.

Any suggestions? I guess I would prefer newer music to older.

C8Ft8GE.jpg
maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
y2jake215 on

• Options
    NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    pandora.com

Seriously. I've found some new bands that I rather like, as well as a few songs from genres that I normally do not like. As you select more songs that you enjoy, the site introduces more bands to the mix.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    ad1had1h Raleigh, NCRegistered User regular
    I find all of my music on college radio stations. The school I went to always played really great stuff like Sleigh Bells that wouldn't have made it onto my radar otherwise. I've since moved from that state and I love the college station where I'm at. Most of them have a stream available that you can load in your audio program of choice. Give it a try.

Here are the stations re: where I'm from and where I am now: WVU, NCSU

• Options
    ihmmyihmmy Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Howling Bells remind me of something between Sleigh Bells and Gotye somehow
    Parov Stelar
    Cults
    Now It's Overhead (particularly the Darklight Day Break album)

I use Rdio, a subscription type music service that lets you access bajillions of songs for a flat fee. It also recommends stuff based on what you like and what others with similar collections have listened to. And you can find other peoples playlists and follow them and so on. Since I signed up for this thing I have found tonnes and tonnes and tonnes of great artists who are entirely new to me, whereas beforehand I'd get really frustrated trying to find new music that was good. They do a free trial so take a look... I suspect it's not a perfect fit for everyone but I quite enjoy what I've found with it

ihmmy on
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote:
    My older favorite music is stuff like Tool, Opeth, Mastodon, etc. I went through a math-metal phase with Fall of Troy, Meshuggah, Dillinger Escape Plan, etc. I like the White Stripes, Clutch, Faith No More, Mr. Bungle, The Flaming Lips, Primus, Metallica, Megadeth, System of a Down, Soundgarden...

You and I, we have much in common. I hope you will like the following.

I had (and still have! to an extent) similar musical preferences many years ago and when I plugged Tool into Pandora's earliest version was recommended Porcupine Tree. Specifically, In Absentia and Deadwing. I like pretty much everything they've done from Stupid Dream on but some of it's more poppy and some is more proggy (everything before that album is a bit, well, strange). The two albums listed first hit the right prog-metal notes for my inner Tool fan. Samples:

Listening to these guys then later led me to discover fellow Brits Oceansize, which I am a huge fan of if you couldn't tell. They possess the ability to go from all-out guitar thrashing to poignant quiet reflection (and back) without losing any authenticity in the process. Big post-rock influences (think Explosions in the Sky), busy math-rock drums, and thoughtful if obtuse lyrics. Samples:

From another Oceansize fan I was told about Pure Reason Revolution, who at the time only had one album out ). The Dark Thirdquickly became one of my favorites of all time (I sometimes sport a PRR avatar/sig rather than the Oceansize one. Huge Pink Floyd influences, there's some of the best vocal harmonies I've ever heard and great guitar riffs alongside even more impenetrable lyrics and incredibly nuanced sound. Their later albums incorporate more dance-electronic stuff, which I like but is a different direction from the first album. Samples:
    The first four tracks of The Dark Third are really one long song, which I'll post two parts of

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDHW8bsHB0w
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5B9UTuuJPlY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxTwa3TTHNA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwwIiyFmoxM
    (what other band writes lyrics like this and makes them sound that good?)

Later stuff:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fg2C_9Bj_sQ&feature=related

If you'd like something that hews a little closer to the Opeth/Mastodon vein, try obscure Polish metal band Riverside. They vary wildly in quality but both Second Life Syndrome and Rapid Eye Movement are generally solid albums. Samples:

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    For a more electronic feel I'd suggest these in no particular order. The postal Service. Broken Bells. MGMT. Modest Mouse, particularly the We were dead before the ship even sank album has more electronic soind and might appeal to your metal leanings. Crystal Castles.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    I thought of more. Bibio is in some of the adult swim bumps now. I remembered because you mentioned flying lotus.

The shins are good too.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Suffer through it anyway.

Deep Dark Woods
    More Deep Dark Woods

Neko Case
    More Neko Case
    Neko Case again

Lindi Ortega

And if you want to seem cool to the hip young kids then listen to:

fun.
    Screaming Females
    Japandroids
    Robyn
    Austra
    The Rural Alberta Advantage
    Pepe Deluxe
    Bahamas
    Shad

edit: replaced Grimes and Sleigh Bells because duh.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    HikkinsHikkins Registered User regular
    Man, you seem to have exactly the same music taste as me. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for suggestions I can use too!

As for my contribution, you should check out the following:

The Mars Volta - each of their albums are quite radically different, so try an check a wide range of their material if you can.
    Every Time I Die
    Between the Buried and Me - Especially the albums Colors, and The Great Misdirect
    The Antlers
    God is an Astronaut
    Minus the Bear
    Modwheelmood
    The Sound of Animals Fighting - Feel free to skip Lover, the Lord has left us, their other 2 albums are gold though.
    Steven Wilson - Porcupine Tree has already been mentioned here, but Steven's solo stuff is also very much worth checking out, especially the album Insurgentes.

I've got more suggestions if you like these.

• Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    @AresProphet, are you me from an alternate universe? Because that post looks exactly like what I was going to recommend.

Hikkins has got the right idea with Wilson's solo stuff, too.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    @AresProphet, are you me from an alternate universe? Because that post looks exactly like what I was going to recommend.

There can only be one

I always forget about Steven Wilson's solo albums but Insurgentes is really good. The latest one didn't impress me as much but I might just be impatient for a new PT album.

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Hey thanks for all the suggestions so far, guys. I've been really busy with schoolwork this weekend and haven't had a chance to check a lot out yet, but I will definitely do so.

@AresProphet - a lot of that stuff sounds right up my alley. Another band I forgot to list in the OP that I love is Isis - if you haven't heard of them (you probably have) I think you'd really enjoy them

@Hikkins - should've remembered to list The Mars Volta too. Really like their earlier stuff. I'm also a fan of Every Time I Die, Between the Buried and Me and Minus the Bear - I'll check out the others

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    Hey thanks for all the suggestions so far, guys. I've been really busy with schoolwork this weekend and haven't had a chance to check a lot out yet, but I will definitely do so.

@AresProphet - a lot of that stuff sounds right up my alley. Another band I forgot to list in the OP that I love is Isis - if you haven't heard of them (you probably have) I think you'd really enjoy them

I got to see Isis open for Tool a few years ago and they were okay. I don't generally like the kind of metal with the growling screaming incoherent vocals. The last two Mastodon albums are the only ones I really like.

On that note, I've enjoyed the more recent Katatonia albums, if you haven't listened to them.

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options

You know what's funny? As I was making that big post above it felt like I had done the same thing before. Turns out I'd made almost exactly the same post, two years ago, directed at you.

Is it still deja vu if it's something that actually happened?

Also I liek poast about my favorite bands too much.

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png