As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mad Men

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    I didn't even realize that Ken's wife is Nickelodeon's Alex Mack.

Clarissa's dad was somebody - I think Trudy's dad. Pete's Clearasil contact

yes

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Mad King GeorgeMad King George Registered User regular
    That episode was a trip.

• Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    Yeah usually there's a lot more inter-cutting whereas here it was straight up "here is storyline A, then B, then C."

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    They've been playing with the format a lot lately - dreams last week and three concurrent storylines run consecutively. I can't remember earlier seasons, have they played with the passage of time much? It seems like they usually go straight forward with occasional flashbacks

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
    I think the structure fit the trip, though. Take Roger in front of the mirror and how he saw things, then think how we saw the entire episode.

They've been playing with the format a lot lately - dreams last week and three concurrent storylines run consecutively. I can't remember earlier seasons, have they played with the passage of time much? It seems like they usually go straight forward with occasional flashbacks

There was the film noir-styled one where Don gets drugged by the kids in that motel room and then we see how they got there.

• y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    I think the structure fit the trip, though. Take Roger in front of the mirror and how he saw things, then think how we saw the entire episode.

That shot gave me a 2001 vibe, even if just for a minute. I agree with that, too. I'm interested to read the AVClub and Sepinwall reviews about this one

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Eggplant WizardEggplant Wizard Little Rock, ARRegistered User regular
    Maybe I'm dense, but it's not clear to me: Was Ginsberg using the Mars thing as a metaphor for being born in a concentration camp, not knowing his real parents, etc.? Or is he really a nutjob who thinks he's from Mars?

Hello
    Maybe I'm dense, but it's not clear to me: Was Ginsberg using the Mars thing as a metaphor for being born in a concentration camp, not knowing his real parents, etc.? Or is he really a nutjob who thinks he's from Mars?

He's telling it as a story that seems more believable than what his real story is. (I hope. With these characters, who knows.)

• HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    That was probably my favorite episode since The Suitcase. Great Roger story, great Peggy story, great Don story with another classic Bert Cooper moment at the end. The man doesn't have many scenes, but when he does, he's brilliant.

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    Watching the episode now. Roger high on LSD is just the best thing ever. Tripping balls for the first time and yet with the expression of, "What, is this all you got?" Roger's no stranger to destroying brain cells.

And then a nice little scene with him and his wife, high and honest.

And then as much skin as AMC gets to show, boy howdy his wife is purdy

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Mad Men has been killing it; I just watched this episodes and last weeks and they were both really good. I loved Roger's trip and I really liked both the dinner and the fight in the previous episode. Year plus wait totally worth it.

Although some things were odd:
    namely the handy in the movie theater, although I think the fight between Don and Megan needed a little more buildup. There was clearly strain, but it didnt seem like enough to justify the blowup but then again I have no idea what relationships were like in the 1960s.

It's so Don to
    A) Run off because she mentioned his mom
    B) Assume that once he turns around she'll still just be standing there in the parking lot waiting for him

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    also I really liked how Peggy's storyline was her being a total female Don: she smokes, she drinks too much, she treats her significant other crappily and has sexual encounters with people she shouldn't.

Then she tries for the Don "You're wrong" staredown on a stupid client maneuver and it doesn't work, because she's "over-sensitive"

It really is kind of a nice illustration of how even when her boss believes in her, she's still trapped under a glass ceiling anyway because of the societal values.

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    so. good.

steam_sig.png
  • StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Last night was one of the best episodes they've ever done. So much packed into such a perfectly directed hour.

Kana wrote: »
    also I really liked how Peggy's storyline was her being a total female Don: she smokes, she drinks too much, she treats her significant other crappily and has sexual encounters with people she shouldn't.

Then she tries for the Don "You're wrong" staredown on a stupid client maneuver and it doesn't work, because she's "over-sensitive"

It really is kind of a nice illustration of how even when her boss believes in her, she's still trapped under a glass ceiling anyway because of the societal values.

Sepinwall pointed out even more parallels running throughout this episode:
    Peggy is acting like Don at the beginning of the series, but failing because she's a woman
    Don is acting like Roger towards the middle when he married Jane, his work life is suffering as he focuses on his marriage, but it's going differently because he's way more volatile than Roger
    Roger is at the end

I might have to rewatch this one

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    It was nice to see Roger not get crapped on for once, too. The way they handled the end of his marriage was sweet and quiet.

Now the question is will it set it up for Joan and him to get together? Not in any way that will end happily for the characters based on what we've seen this show do.

• carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    Man week after week, everything is so well written and executed. I already get terrified by the thought of the season being over...

PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    As much as I dont really care for roger, its nice he didn't get shit on.
    Variable wrote: »
    I didn't even realize that Ken's wife is Nickelodeon's Alex Mack.

Clarissa's dad was somebody - I think Trudy's dad. Pete's Clearasil contact

yes

Just as another thought. I thought ken's wife wasn't attractive at all, and even looked really old by comparison(hair style and face structure I think). She looked late 30's though. Looked her up. Shes 30. And amazing looking, yikes. Don't know if it was makeup or camera work but they really did a negative number on her.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    Yeah, I really loved Roger's break up scene. They acknowledge how bad it's gonna be, but for now, it just is.

Loved the little scenes with Ginsberg too. I really hope we get to see more of him. He's just so out there sometimes, but he really wants to be good at what he does.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
    Good for Megan
    saving the campaign
    . Bad for Sally
    walking in on her grandma gobblin' her daddy's boss's knob

Beans, beans, beans.

"One day your little girl will spread her legs and fly away."

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    After this episode I realize that its garbage the complaint that "Nothing ever happens on MAD MEN. . ." I also realized that its actually "Nothing interesting long term happens on MAD MEN. . ." The show in and of itself is good, but I wish each episode didn't feel like one long character study.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • izzybizzyb AdelaideRegistered User regular
    Wow, how slick was Pete Campbell with Emil!

izzyb wrote: »

I always appreciate when Pete actually gets to show that he's actually really good at his job.

Most of the time he's sort of in a vicious cycle where nobody respects him, which then makes him act like a shithead, which then makes no one respect him.

I always appreciate when Pete actually gets to show that he's actually really good at his job.

Most of the time he's sort of in a vicious cycle where nobody respects him, which then makes him act like a shithead, which then makes no one respect him.

Pete's schtick works with strangers, basically. Once you get to know him for any length of time, it's clear why Ken's better at his job.

• THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular

Pete's schtick works with strangers, basically. Once you get to know him for any length of time, it's clear why Ken's better at his job.

When you put it like that.. it's hard to disagree.

Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    THEPAIN73 wrote: »

Although I think they're foreshadowing Ken's departure - he was wrongfooted a couple times at the Heinz dinner, and his dad was mentioned trying to talk him into moving on. I could see him shifting into the novelist thing.

Handgimp on
    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Post-LSD Roger continues to amuse. It was nice seeing him get along with his ex-wife.

Another really great episode with a congruent theme.

RhalloTonny on
    !
    edited May 2012
    Handgimp wrote: »

Although I think they're foreshadowing Ken's departure - he was wrongfooted a couple times at the Heinz dinner, and his dad was mentioned trying to talk him into moving on. I could see him shifting into the novelist thing.

I hope not. They need to keep the guy who is basically well adjusted and has a decent work/home life; the job can't simply destroy everyone who is in it.

Mad King George on
  • Penguin_OtakuPenguin_Otaku Registered User regular

I hope not. They need to keep the guy who is basically well adjusted and has a decent work/home life; the job can't simply destroy everyone who is in it.

Do they? Because who else in Mad Men has that? We don't even really see that much of Ken to... know much about him other than he's been with these guys for a while.

sig-1.jpg

Do they? Because who else in Mad Men has that? We don't even really see that much of Ken to... know much about him other than he's been with these guys for a while.

Joan seems fairly well-adjusted. She's getting her own back with her crap husband, she doesn't take guff for her job, and like everyone says, basically keeps the company functioning.

Just watched last Sunday's episode and I really liked Roger's interactions with Don's kids, made me like him even more. Until
    the scene where he was getting blown by Megan's mother. Dude, thats your employee's wife. Shit, thats your co-worker's wife's mother. Thats the mother of your friend's wife.

• HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    Just watched last Sunday's episode and I really liked Roger's interactions with Don's kids, made me like him even more. Until
    thei scene where he was getting blown by Megan's mother. Dude, thats your employee's wife. Shit, thats your co-worker's wife's mother. Thats the mother of your friend's wife.

That's Roger.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
    thei scene where he was getting blown by Megan's mother. Dude, thats your employee's wife. Shit, thats your co-worker's wife's mother. Thats the mother of your friend's wife.

That's Roger.

I know, I guess I just expected a little more from him.

• BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    [

That's Roger.

I know, I guess I just expected a little more from him.

He's available again!

You really shouldn't.

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    Episode spoilers
    One step closer to Megan leaving Don or vice versa. I also think that was a pretty sad moment for Don, I think he loved working with Megan.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
    I love Ginsburg. So very much.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
    Mr. Belding?

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    What the shit I thought this show was broke. That was like half the budget.

PAD ID - 328,762,218