As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Presidential Election Thread] All Hail the Liberty Rooster.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Paid media hits a saturation point where it doesn't matter. We're WELL beyond that in this election. More importantly, Obama actually has a field operation, which is tested, successful, and ready to go. Romney still doesn't and needs to build one in the next eight months.

The money's more important in Congressional and state elections. Obama has a ridiculous amount of cash on hand, like 100 million.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Paid media hits a saturation point where it doesn't matter. We're WELL beyond that in this election. More importantly, Obama actually has a field operation, which is tested, successful, and ready to go. Romney still doesn't and needs to build one in the next eight months.

Is Obama using the 50 state strategy?

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

Is Obama using the 50 state strategy?

It's probably closer to 35.

50 - (Alaska, Utah, Idaho Wyoming, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, Kentucky, West Virginia, Louisiana, Arkansas, and then South Carolina and the Dakotas are marginal; as is non-Omaha parts of Nebraska)

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    We haven't seen all the crap the Super PACs are gonna unleash yet. I have a feeling it's going to get messy. I read that Obama's has a huge deficit of large donors, and is relying on more small donors for his campaign.

I am very worried at what that much money is going to do to campaigns.

It's going to turn them into job creators.

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Taramoor wrote: »
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    We haven't seen all the crap the Super PACs are gonna unleash yet. I have a feeling it's going to get messy. I read that Obama's has a huge deficit of large donors, and is relying on more small donors for his campaign.

I am very worried at what that much money is going to do to campaigns.

It's going to turn them into job creators.

Thank you for forcing me to coin the phrase "election-industrial complex". "Permanent campaign" wasn't nearly fucking cynical enough. I just adore having my expectations of humanity lowered this early in the morning.

Shadowen on
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Man, Romney's prebuttal (I swear to God) to Obama's DNC acceptance speech was pretty, what's the nice word for full of shit?

"Obama is dividing Americans on purpose"
    "Obama hasn't given one plan to do anything!"

He did have a pretty good joke. That I've forgotten now, but it was pretty good.

Lh96QHG.png
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    http://security.blogs.cnn.com/2012/04/23/obama-v-romney-the-foreign-policy-battle/?hpt=hp_t2

In what might be Mr. Romney's weakest area and one of Mr. Obama's surprisingly strongest, the presumptive GOP nominee has started attempting to claw back. It's funny, because traditionally "Mommy and Daddy" syndrome strikes at foreign policy; Republicans being assumed to be strong on defense and Democrats assumed to be weak. Romney; however, has no idea what he's talking about when it comes to defense or foreign relations (because, surprise of all surprises, foreign policy means more than reckless military spending increases).

What sums up my opinions on Romney's foreign policy credentials is this quote:
    "It's easy to say Mr. President, I can do better on Iran, on China, on North Korea," says Lindsay with the Council on Foreign Relations. "What we have yet to see is whether or not Romney can generate in the answer to the obvious counterquestion from Barack Obama: 'OK, what would you do, and why should we believe it would work?' "

Romney, like most Republicans, is still fighting the Cold War, calling Russia our biggest geo-political foe (I thought that was China now, guess I'm street behind).

With increasing tension in the Middle East, China's paper tiger rise, and probable deepening of economic woes in Europe the question becomes "Can we afford Mitt Romney learning as he goes along on the international stage?"

Lh96QHG.png
  • dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular

Obama still has tens of millions more than Romney.

• dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular
    And plus Romneybot's strategy is to buy up every television spot possible with negative attack ads.

Also I just read somewhere that Karl Rove's SuperPac has millions amassed but only four donors.

• HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    dbrock270 wrote: »
    And plus Romneybot's strategy is to buy up every television spot possible with negative attack ads.

Also I just read somewhere that Karl Rove's SuperPac has millions amassed but only four donors.

Isn't there some per-person maximum for political donations?

PSN: Honkalot
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Have you not been watching the Colbert report? The citizens united ruling basically allows to give unlimited and anonymous donations through the combination of Superpacs and Pacs.

Quire.jpg
    Honk wrote: »

Not for Super PACs! Money equals speech, bitches

Lh96QHG.png
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Honk wrote: »

Not for PACs.

Scooter on
    So basically if you don't give directly to the candidate there's no limit.

Welcome to the world of Citizens United.

Lh96QHG.png
    Neato!

edited April 2012
    And now for something completely different:
    The Obama campaign has 533 people who have each raised at least $50,000 for his campaign and the Democratic National Committee, including 90 who joined the campaign in the last quarter. The total nearly matches the 558 people who were listed as volunteer fundraisers for the 2008 campaign.

Of this year’s bundlers, 117 are in the top echelon, raising at least $500,000 each, nearly double the number the campaign reported at the end of the 2011 and more than double the 47 who reached that level in 2008.

Welcome to the world of schizo journalism.

AManFromEarth on
    Lh96QHG.png
  • LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    So this article seems on point. It expands on the individual donors (who donate more money than corporations) and the effect that may have on the elections. The author also compares the current climate with the Gilded Age.

http://nymag.com/news/frank-rich/conservative-donors-2012-4/

Some excerpts
    If you want to appreciate what Barack Obama is up against in 2012, forget about the front man who is his nominal opponent and look instead at the Republican billionaires buying the ammunition for the battles ahead. A representative example is Harold Simmons, an 80-year-old Texan who dumped some $15 million into the campaign before primary season had ended. Reminiscing about 2008, when he bankrolled an ad blitz to tar the Democrats with the former radical Bill Ayers, Simmons told The Wall Street Journal, “If we had run more ads, we could have killed Obama.” It is not a mistake he intends to make a second time. The $15 million Simmons had spent by late February dwarfs the $2.8 million he allotted to the Ayers takedown and the $3 million he contributed to the Swift Boat Veterans demolition of John Kerry four years before that. Imagine the cash that will flow now that the GOP sideshows are over and the president is firmly in Simmons’s crosshairs.
    Though the sugar daddies do differ on some issues—in some surprising cases departing from conservative orthodoxy on immigration, same-sex marriage, and abortion—those anomalies are trivial next to the convictions they share with one another and with Romney. Indeed, the sugar daddies fill in the vacuum of core beliefs that so many have found elusive in the Etch-a-Sketch candidate. Many of them have in common the practice of “vulture capitalism”—to use the term Rick Perry wielded when attacking Mitt’s record at Bain Capital. The fundamental principles of vulture capitalism, whatever the respective business arenas or prey, are inviolate: Anything and anyone is expendable in pursuit of a profit, starting with the powerless, and any brushes with the law along the way, not to mention civil or criminal financial penalties, are simply the price of doing nasty business. Like corporate donors, sugar daddies tend to seek favors to serve their particular special interests (notably the golden oldies of oil and finance) and dedicate themselves to fighting and avoiding taxes. But their ethos departs from the corporate model. Precisely because they are lone wolves responsible to no one but themselves—not independent shareholders, let alone the communities they plunder—they can be “more ruthless than Wall Street,” as the Newt Gingrich super-PAC put it in its ad attacking Romney’s Bain career. Vulture capitalists are throwbacks not so much to the relatively modern bankers and industrialists whom FDR set out to police in the Great Depression as to the more primitive titans and robber barons of the Gilded Age that Teddy Roosevelt took on a generation earlier.
    t defies rationality that the current crop of sugar daddies is in such a rage at the country that has done so well by them. Their tax rates are at modern lows, the Dow has recently hit a four-year high, and their businesses are booming. “Big U.S. companies have emerged from the deepest recession since World War II more productive, more profitable, flush with cash and less burdened by debt” was how The Wall Street Journal summarized the lay of the land this month. It’s workers whose jobs were shed by those companies and remain unemployed who have a right to be enraged, not the sugar daddies. Economic inequality remains at nearly pre-recession levels as 99 percenters struggle to hold their ground, let alone move up the economic ladder.
    If the sugar daddies get their way in November, we know what it means for the country. But it’s equally worth contemplating what will happen if they don’t. Obama is talking the talk of the two Roosevelts, whose reformist zeal and political courage helped bring America back from the brink after the privileged plundered it in the Gilded Age and the Jazz Age. But if he is willing to take on those interests as forcefully as they did, he has yet to show it in his actions and governance. Unless and until he does, it’s hard to see how the sugar daddies could lose over the long run, even if Obama wins on Election Day. They have, after all, only just begun to spend.

• Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    So depressing all the money spent on fucking the poor that could not only help said poor, but in doing so help most of the rich people spending the money to fuck the poor. The only way this makes any sense at all is these people just really love fucking over the less fortunate at the expense of everything else.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    The fundamental principles of vulture capitalism ... are inviolate: Anything and anyone is expendable in pursuit of a profit, starting with the powerless, and any brushes with the law along the way, not to mention civil or criminal financial penalties, are simply the price of doing nasty business.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    The only issue is vultures don't tend to kill the things they eat, they let other things do that for them. Romney is some sort of parasitic zombie vulture.

• tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular

You understand that the SuperPAC adds will actually energize the 'whiny liberals' you describe to get out and vote for Obama. They might not like his policies on Guantanamo but when the other side spends a billion dollars saying that Obama's liberal extremism has gone too far and that only by returning the the glorious white christian values of yesteryear can we save the constitution from abortions and women they won't be thinking about how much they like him but instead about how much they HATE republicans. They will be producing attack adds against themselves, because what their supporters think is bad Obama's supporters think is good and vice versa!

"Obama expanded access to abortion for federal employees...."
    "Obama has enacted military cuts which leave spending levels dangerously low....."
    "Obama isn't a white dude...."
    "Obama has attacked the constitution, and relies on activist judges...."
    "Obama is an elitist liberal academic...."
    "Under Obama, your taxes have been raised a thousand times...."
    "Under Obama, the vice grip of federal regulation will come between you and your doctor...."
    "Is Obama really a Christian...."
    "Obama plans to force states to adopt gay marriage...."
    "Obama plans to force your school to accept gay teachers...."
    "Obama was born in Kenya..."
    "Obama ate DOG in a FOREIGN COUNTRY...."
    "Mitt Romney is a true conservative, he will cut your taxes"
    "Mitt Romney understands that god is the foundation of this nation"
    "Mitt Romney wants you to know that noone will come between you and your family doctor"
    "Mitt Romney knows that only American Business can create good jobs for you and your family"

The only thing that the SuperPACs could do that wouldn't just energise the democratic base too would be...

a) Vast disinformation campaign to make voters think the election is the wrong day
    b) Massive DDOS attacks on all high tech industry across election day to keep young obama supporters at work
    c) Huge and effective campaign to paint Obama as a moderate, near conservative candidate (which would lead to independents filing in behind him)

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular

Democrats have a "huge deficit of large donors" in every national campaign. It's pretty much the sole reason for the Republican's trying so hard to fuck unions. I can't find the citation right now, but in 2008 of the Top 10 largest campaign contributors only 3 of them went for Obama and they were all unions.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    Very interesting article:
    http://motherjones.com/mojo/2012/04/mitt-romney-barack-obama-fundraising-2012

Right now Obama and the DNC are dominating the traditional fundraising methods, but Romney and the Republicans are making it up with SuperPAC money.

Augh there are no new posts in this thread! Also yeah, that's not surprising. Anyone who thought CU would do anything else but give a massive (and hidden) funding increase to the GOP is an idiot.

(Fuck you, Kennedy)

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    speaking of no new posts, why does this thread keep showing as blue (indicating new posts) when there are no new posts?

• MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Yeah I'm getting that too.

-edit-

Went away after I went to the first page. I think maybe the edit to the First Post a few days ago set it off.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    Magus` wrote: »
    Augh there are no new posts in this thread! Also yeah, that's not surprising. Anyone who thought CU would do anything else but give a massive (and hidden) funding increase to the GOP is an idiot.

(Fuck you, Kennedy)

I wonder if it really increased their funding, or if it just allowed them to transfer money that would have gone to traditional fundraising channels, into superPACS instead where it's less accountable.

Just more Vanilla quirks I assume. I'm sure they'll fix it.

Unlike Romney who will fix nothing. /ontopic

• TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    Pi-r8 wrote: »

(Fuck you, Kennedy)

I wonder if it really increased their funding, or if it just allowed them to transfer money that would have gone to traditional fundraising channels, into superPACS instead where it's less accountable.

The problem is that "traditional fundraising channels" have limits. SuperPACs don't.

• CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    Very interesting article:
    http://motherjones.com/mojo/2012/04/mitt-romney-barack-obama-fundraising-2012

Right now Obama and the DNC are dominating the traditional fundraising methods, but Romney and the Republicans are making it up with SuperPAC money.

Anyone know how much money from campaign coffers goes towards the ground operation? I did a little bit of googling but didn't find anything. If it is a lot of money, I wonder if the SuperPACs will set up their own ground operations. (If that's legal.)

This American Life did an interesting bit on how SuperPAC money effected one person's run for the House. So I think we really need to worry more about SuperPAC's affecting congressional races.

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    Pardon this humble foreigner's digression, but this whole SuperPAC thing...could you set one up that was ostensibly for your opponent, but just put out a bunch of really bizarre, tone deaf, or unpopular messaging? Obviously this strategy isn't necessary during this campaign cycle, though.

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    Pardon this humble foreigner's digression, but this whole SuperPAC thing...could you set one up that was ostensibly for your opponent, but just put out a bunch of really bizarre, tone deaf, or unpopular messaging? Obviously this strategy isn't necessary during this campaign cycle, though.

I don't see why not, but if it were bad enough that it reflected poorly on the candidate it was pretending to support, it would also embolden that particular candidate when they cry slander.

You can make a SuperPAC to do whatever the hell you want. The only restriction is they can't 'collude' with the person they're trying to help elect.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    TheCanMan wrote: »

(Fuck you, Kennedy)

The problem is that "traditional fundraising channels" have limits. SuperPACs don't.

I think Pi-r8 means, if not for CU, would the same amount of money still be going to the candidates, just channeled through shady means to get under the limits. Like "I'm giving you the maximum (i want to say $2300?) allowable by law, and so is every member of my family, my dog, and all my employees."

Obviously CU would make it easier in that they don't have to jump through as many hoops, which lowers transactional costs, which means they have more money to donate, I suppose.

The fact that SuperPACs are legal but they still try really hard to hide who is providing funding kind of implies they know they're skirting some line somewhere.

The fact that SuperPACs are legal but they still try really hard to hide who is providing funding kind of implies they know they're skirting some line somewhere.

Eh, it really just implies that they don't want you to know who is paying for ads.

Speaking of, I think a good ad for the Obama campaign to run is a bunch of quotes from George Romney that go directly against what his son is doing.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Boring7Boring7 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

It has already been suggested numerous times, by me if no one else. The problem is that the same organizations that do the whole superPAC thing are kind of lacking in creativity, as are the donors to said superPACs. Also, if you set up the "Stop Socialism Now" organization you will only get one round of donations before the donors notice you are making advertisements that are against Republicans.

Also, I was thinking of creating a superPAC and then plays the part of a professional strawman, making advertisements so BAD and over-the-top and just plain wrong that it creates a backlash, but I realized that thanks to Poe's Law no such advertising campaign exists.

I mean, Mitt Romney said this:
    IkDo7.jpg

And he's still a candidate!

Boring7 on
    Yes, because they know it'll offend people. That's what I was saying. Gosh

This discussion has been closed.