As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video Game Industry Thread: Master Chief -- script delivery boy

• Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    shryke wrote: »
    Corehealer wrote: »
    Everyone wants a continuation of Valve's first major flagship
    We do? I thought the Half-Life series was pretty terrible and really don't care about another one. In my mind, HL2E3 is like Duke Nukem Forever (Well, before it came out).

I like you

Always fun when people think "I didn't like it" somehow equates to "it was objectively bad".
    I'm just saying, not everyone cares about or even wants more Half-Life :P

Just the majority.
    Just myself, UV, and everybody that works at Valve, what with Valve employees working on the things they find interesting.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    We do? I thought the Half-Life series was pretty terrible and really don't care about another one. In my mind, HL2E3 is like Duke Nukem Forever (Well, before it came out).

I like you

Always fun when people think "I didn't like it" somehow equates to "it was objectively bad".

Just the majority.
    Just myself, UV, and everybody that works at Valve, what with Valve employees working on the things they find interesting.

And you know that, at this moment, EVERYBODY that works at valve is uninterested in working on a new Half-Life title?

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    At the end of the day, what Newell says goes

He seems more intent on joking around and pissing off Half-Life fans with fake teases than actually working on a sequel

Personally I think he's hilarious and a comedic mastermind

Though yeah, I suppose I can see where some of the despair comes from. I'm sure Shenmue fans must feel the same way every time a breath about Shenmue 3 is uttered and then silenced. I know I myself get a little teary-eyed whenever EA's like "Well, we might still do Mirror's Edge 2! Maybe! Someday..."

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

I like you

Just the majority.

That's a helluva bullshit assumption, considering nobody outside of Valve generally has any idea of what Valve is working on at a given moment.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    IIRC Gabe really wants to work on a few projects but the employees are just like "Yeah, no."

It's very likely that HL3 is one of those projects. The Valve employees probably don't want to touch it with a ten foot pole because expectations on that game are so goddamn high, and people probably won't accept anything short of mind-blowing by now.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    EVOL wrote: »
    IIRC Gabe really wants to work on a few projects but the employees are just like "Yeah, no."

It's very likely that HL3 is one of those projects. The Valve employees probably don't want to touch it with a ten foot pole because expectations on that game are so goddamn high, and people probably won't accept anything short of mind-blowing by now.

Yeah, they've actually stated publicly that there are some projects Gabe would like to move forward with, but there just aren't enough people that want to work on it, and due to the way Valve is structured he's basically just one man.

• Options

They made Portal 2. I honestly think that was a harder to do follow-up than another Half-Life game.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Conversely, there's every impetus to get HL3 made so people will shut up about it and the lack of a finish to the series will stop generating negative opinions towards Valve.

Given what happened with HL2 getting leaked, it's fairly logical that Valve is working on a new engine, plans on using HL3 to debut it, and is just keeping everything under wraps to prevent another fiasco.

I think Valve is certainly capable of making crap decisions, but not working on HL3 at all and/or never finishing it all up? Or not realizing how outdated the Source engine is? That's just a lot more stupid than I could feasibly credit Valve for at the worst of times.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    Eh, the only reason HL2 got leaked is because Valve made some amateur hour decisions regarding their security.

Also, I GUARANTEE that there's a sizable portion of Valve who love the shit out of the Half-Life series, whether because of fond memories of working on it, or from playing it prior to getting hired at Valve. If Valve truly is a company where a employees work on what they want, I can't conceive of the idea that a new Half-Life game isn't in the works.

• Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Did people forget that Ep2 ended on a massive cliffhanger or something? That's a big reason as to why people want to see a new game, to conclude the story. And to the guy who said he thinks Half-Life is terrible... well I don't know what to say to that, other than you shouldn't play video games because they don't get much better than HL2.

I can't really picture anyone not wanting to work on HL at Valve. It's an amazing franchise with a great story.

Heisenberg on
  • Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Valve isn't going to give us HL(2:E)3 until they can do something to move the genre forward somehow.

The first two were groundbreaking. I think you could make an argument for calling HL seminal. If it had been successful, I suspect similar things would have been said of episodic release. So until they feel they can deliver a similar experience by introducing a new paradigm, or showcasing a new technology, or maybe they settle for an amazing new engine, we're not going to see the HL3 we want.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Is there any argument to make that HL wasn't seminal?

• Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    The Source engine was easily handled by the 360 back when its tech was considered pretty good; still doesn't change the fact that Source engine is pretty heftily outdated at this point. Even on new systems, it requires constant loading. Console RAM is definitely not the issue, especially since following engines support enormous maps without the Source engine's constant loading.

Time for an update, if not a complete replacement.

Who the fuck is playing any valve game on a console?

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    mrt144 wrote: »
    The Source engine was easily handled by the 360 back when its tech was considered pretty good; still doesn't change the fact that Source engine is pretty heftily outdated at this point. Even on new systems, it requires constant loading. Console RAM is definitely not the issue, especially since following engines support enormous maps without the Source engine's constant loading.

Time for an update, if not a complete replacement.

Who the fuck is playing any valve game on a console?

L4D and The Orange Box were acceptable for me, at the time PC gaming was an unachievable dream for me.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    Sorry, I was looking for "hat haters and rebellious Amish teens"

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Ive never played a Valve game on a PC, as I cant afford one at the moment.

Which I guess could explain why I dont get all the insane crazyness about Valve. I did love Left 4 Dead and Portal though.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/uk-charts-witcher-2-debuts-at-no-1/094845
    Namco Bandai’s once PC-only RPG The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition is the new UK No.1.

It’s the only new release to enter the UKIE GfK Chart-Track Top 40 this week.

The Xbox 360 version accounted for 98 per cent of physical sales, with PC claiming the remainder.

EA is still dominating the upper echelons of the listings, however, claiming fove of the Top Ten titles.

Here’s the Top 20 in full for the week ending April 21st:
    1. The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition (Namco Bandai)
    2. FIFA Street (EA)
    3. FIFA 12 (EA)
    4. Kinect Star Wars (Microsoft)
    5. Mass Effect 3 (EA)
    6. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 13 (EA)
    7. Battlefield 3 (EA)
    8. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Bethesda)
    9. Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games (Sega)
    10. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (Activision)
    11. SSX (EA)
    12. Saints Row: The Third (THQ)
    13. Skylanders: Spyro’s Adventure (Activision)
    14. Batman: Arkham City (Warner Bros)
    15. Moshi Monsters: Moshling Zoo (Mind Candy)
    16. Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City (Capcom)
    17. Just Dance 3 (Ubisoft)
    18. The Sims 3 (EA)
    19. Assassins Creed: Revelations (Ubisoft)
    20. Forza Motorsport 4 (Microsoft)

Some other stuff:

France:
    Week 15, 2012 - Individual Console Formats (Units)

01 (05) [PS3] Call of Duty : Modern Warfare 3 (Activision Blizzard)
    02 (03) [PS3] FIFA Street (Electronic Arts)
    03 (01) [PS3] Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Generations (Namco Bandai Games)
    04 (02) [WII] Mario Party 9 (Nintendo)
    05 (NE) [360] Kinect Star Wars (Lucasarts)
    Italy :
    Week 15, 2012 - Individual Console Formats (Units)

01 (02) [WII] Just Dance 3 (Ubisoft)
    02 (01) [WII] Mario Party 9 (Nintendo)
    03 (04) [PS3] Fifa 12 (Electronic Arts)
    04 (03) [PS3] Fifa Street (Electronic Arts)
    05 (08) [360] Kinect Star Wars (Microsoft)
    06 (RE) [WII] Kirby's Adventure (Nintendo)
    07 (09) [WII] Wii Play Motion + Wii Remote Plus (Nintendo)
    08 (RE) [PS3] Assassin's Creed Revelations (Ubisoft)
    09 (RE) [PS3] Pro Evolution Soccer 2012 (Konami)
    10 (RE) [360] Fifa 12 (Electronic Arts)

Couscous on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    YES! My faith in humanity can be maintained! Witcher 2 is an absolutely fantastic game (even if the crafting system hates me). If it hadn't started well I would have been disappoint.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    I refuse to play Witcher 2 until I finish the first one. I'm stuck in the dinner party in Chapter 3. It just says "talk to people." Not to say I can't google the answer, but the Witcher 1 was my first PC RPG at a time I was experiencing PC gaming for the first time. The Newell demanded I expand my horizons.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012

And they seem exactly like the kind of studio who'd look at a challenge like that, and go "nope, too rich for me!" and look for something easier. When I'd wager that a large quantity of the staff there, at some point, have played either Half-Life 1 or 2 and gone "daaaamn, I want to work for the guys who made this."

edit: my prediction is that there will be an Episode 3 or a Half-Life 3, and like how they wanted HL2 to be a big technology step-up (remember being blown away by the videos when they first showed it off? And how they used it to launch Steam), they want the next one in the series to have the same impact. I'm betting it involves the biometric/wearable computing stuff they've been talking about, some kind of "wear this thing, it monitors your condition and tailors the gameplay experience to your stress levels" deal. If they want to push that out, Half-Life 3 is where it'll happen.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Mgslee wrote: »
    With all the Valve talk I'm surprised no one is talking about this http://kotaku.com/5903955/read-valves-employee-company-handbook-its-amazing
    Unless you already have and I missed it.

Amazing? More like bullshit.

Sorry, the world does not work that way. At the end of the day, someone has to be in charge and tell others what to do, and these others need to do as they're gold.
    Valve is not the magical fairy tale place of wonders and butterflies described in that book. I hope it's fake.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Why would you "hope" it's fake? I mean, I think it's likely a hoax too, but I don't actively hope for things to be shittier than what they seem. I hope that everything would be better.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    While I find the half-life series a huge bore, I could understand how frustrating it is not having HL3 worked on. I am under the impression that Gabe just doesn't want to do it. In the end, the only things that get made are what he approves, and if he really had a burning desire to see HL3 come out, I think he would have done it before Portal 2 and L4D2.

I think the new sequel will probably be Portal 3.

Hopefully one day you guys will see HL3, but it's looking less and less likely.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Valve are gamings greatest force for good and its greatest troll at exactly the same time.

Personally I hope it's Left 4 Dead 3: Because I would certainly buy it and because it will just be hilarious to see the reaction from the disappointed HL3 fans (which would ironically include me as well). I would be torn: Overjoyed on one hand and bitterly disappointed on the other.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I really doubt it'll be Portal 3, so soon. I sorta doubt a Portal 3 would ever happen. :P

Left 4 Dead 3 is the most likely, IMO. That'd be a little underwhelming though.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

I've said this many times, but it bears repeating: this is the same damned company that took nine years to push out Team Fortress 2 (most of that time spent in complete media darkness) like it was nothing. Four-and-some-odd years running without the next Half Life is like chump change to them.

HL-whatever is going to come out, when it comes out. Less likely nothing.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    With all the Valve talk I'm surprised no one is talking about this http://kotaku.com/5903955/read-valves-employee-company-handbook-its-amazing

Sorry, the world does not work that way. At the end of the day, someone has to be in charge and tell others what to do, and these others need to do as they're gold.
    Valve is not the magical fairy tale place of wonders and butterflies described in that book. I hope it's fake.

This is hardly the first time they talk about how they work and they do acknowledge that it wouldn't work in all kinds of organization.

• Options
    I really doubt it'll be Portal 3, so soon. I sorta doubt a Portal 3 would ever happen. :P

People said that about Portal 2, FYI.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    It took Blizzard over a decade to bring out a sequel to Diablo 2 AND Starcraft.

It's not as if Valve HAS to rush anything out - they are making money hand over fist just being the gateway to most of PC gaming nowadays.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

I've said this many times, but it bears repeating: this is the same damned company that took nine years to push out Team Fortress 2 (most of that time spent in complete media darkness) like it was nothing. Four-and-some-odd years running without the next Half Life is like chump change to them.

HL-whatever is going to come out, when it comes out. Less likely nothing.

I'll never forget this... I remember when HL1 just came out and I was reading some behind the scenes article about Valve in one of the gaming magazines (I forget which) and towards the end they said the next game they're working on was Team Fortress 2. LOL. And TF2 evolved a lot during that time. The next HL is probably going through the same process.

• Options
    CabbsCabbs Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »

This is hardly the first time they talk about how they work and they do acknowledge that it wouldn't work in all kinds of organization.

I also find the emphasis on 'doing something of value' to be quite telling. Valve is an industry leading, privately owned, flatly-organised, Invite Only games company. If you go into that without the intention of putting the effort in, then you were not the right person for the job, and you won't keep it for very long.

• Options

I've not read that handbook and I'm ready to believe it's fake, from the reports I'm reading on it, but Valve absolutely do operate in that fashion. Read any interview with them (hell, PA's own Ben Kuchera did a photo-tour and interview with Gabe Newell, which confirmed all the previous reports that they are basically a leaderless hive of creativity). It works because they employ the right people for that environment. People who can be left unguided and will find projects to work on, because that's what they want to do.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    Also, Gabe has stated that they don't want to announce games before they're really close to finishing them. I think they're aware that it'd be a huge disaster if they announce Half-Life 3 and have it slip like 2 did. They don't want to say "hey, it's in development!" and then leave it a couple of years, with added slippage, until it's ready to finally put out. It sounded like they don't even want to publicly acknowledge its existence until it's nearly complete.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I'm always fascinated hearing about cancelled stuff, and a Sony Cambridge employee has posted a youtube video of his animation with some cancelled stuff sprinkled in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9-kZAJkJc5s

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I just want to say, levels in L4D2 can get fairly massive.

It isn't exactly a limit to the engine that keeps the environments how they are, its a design choice. Play around with some L4D or L4D2 modding stuff and poke around.

Source doesn't really need a 'new version' because its modular functions are always being prodded at and updated. whether they get used or not is a different matter. Seeing all the effort they put into designing tiny 20x50 rooms speaks volumes of why they probably leave areas so small.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I just want to say, levels in L4D2 can get fairly massive.

It isn't exactly a limit to the engine that keeps the environments how they are, its a design choice. Play around with some L4D or L4D2 modding stuff and poke around.

Source doesn't really need a 'new version' because its modular functions are always being prodded at and updated. whether they get used or not is a different matter. Seeing all the effort they put into designing tiny 20x50 rooms speaks volumes of why they probably leave areas so small.

Especially now that they've got Adam Foster working for them, some kind of wizard/Time Lord, the way he crams as much as he does into a single area.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I'm going to try and keep my expectations in check.

Coming from Shane Satterfield, GameTrailers' Editor in Chief...
    One thing that I can say without getting in any trouble is that the launch line-up for the Wii U is going to surprise people. It's going to be pretty damn good.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=471110

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    My brother will go bonkers if L4D3 is announced. It's pretty much the only FPS he'll play.

• Options
    Right, people speculating on how Valve work and what they're doing should start by looking through this photo-tour and reading the captions (they're not just pretty pictures, there's a tonne of information there) http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/where-the-science-happens-the-penny-arcade-report-goes-for-a-tour-though-th
    And then reading beyond the picture of Gabe Newell, and actually looking at the text of this interview: http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/valves-gabe-newell-talks-wearable-computers-rewarding-players-and-whether-w

Seriously, it's like everyone saw that and went OOH IT'S ALL ORANGE AND HE'S LIKE SANTA! and is now jumping into every rumour that comes out without any sort of a clue that there's already a really large volume of relevant information sitting right there.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular

That handbook backs up at least 2-3 different articles I've read on Valve's corporate culture, including the Penny Arcade Reports article. It is probably telling that this is the first publication of the handbook in 18 years.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
This discussion has been closed.