As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

League of Legends: This is apparently the NOT buggy version of the patch.

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    am *I* the dummy for trying to go support as viktor, or were my teammates dummies for yelling at me?

Granted, the game didn't ever get played thanks to queue dodgers but still

It can work if you take the stun mod, which turns ganks into genocides. Laser poke is pretty great too.

Its not like he's top tier but I've seen worse and you'll be fine if you're not being dumb.

always take the stun mod

People don't understand how much utility he brings to teamfights, even if his damage isn't that great (when support built)

Stunning an entire team for 1.5 seconds and then silencing them all for another 0.5 makes or breaks teamfights

Also am I wrong if I classify "utility" type characters as supports? Basically if you are good at cc, then you = support

I think that, in the current meta, the more stringent requirement for a support is that they do not need farm to be effective. This is usually truest for characters who have a lot of utility, since utility rarely scales with gold, or when it does, it performs fine with an utter lack of it.

That being said, let's look at support nunu. His only real utility is blood boil. He has a slow, sure, but there are about a million champions with a slow, and they are almost all ranged, so if you just wanted a character with a slow, you could just as easily take support Nasus. However, even with just a philo and some boots, nunu is able to naturally sustain pretty well, he's beefy, and his ult does incredible damage.

Since you have a support nunu, your utility needs to come from somewhere else, and in that case, you can use a champion which requires more farm and has a good kit for it, someone who trades a little bit of damage for a lot of utility. Karma's a pretty good example of a utility mage, or maokai, orianna, etc. Those are people whose abilities get absolutely ridiculous with farm, but their damage is just not as high as your traditional people who would be in those roles (mid usually, or jungle for maokai, in those examples).

Since nunu doesn't need much farm to shore up the damage deficit, you're good to trade some utility onto somewhere else. That's why you might see nunu going bot as support, but victor going mid.

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Rend wrote: »
    am *I* the dummy for trying to go support as viktor, or were my teammates dummies for yelling at me?

Granted, the game didn't ever get played thanks to queue dodgers but still

It can work if you take the stun mod, which turns ganks into genocides. Laser poke is pretty great too.

Its not like he's top tier but I've seen worse and you'll be fine if you're not being dumb.

always take the stun mod

People don't understand how much utility he brings to teamfights, even if his damage isn't that great (when support built)

Stunning an entire team for 1.5 seconds and then silencing them all for another 0.5 makes or breaks teamfights

Also am I wrong if I classify "utility" type characters as supports? Basically if you are good at cc, then you = support

I think that, in the current meta, the more stringent requirement for a support is that they do not need farm to be effective. This is usually truest for characters who have a lot of utility, since utility rarely scales with gold, or when it does, it performs fine with an utter lack of it.

That being said, let's look at support nunu. His only real utility is blood boil. He has a slow, sure, but there are about a million champions with a slow, and they are almost all ranged, so if you just wanted a character with a slow, you could just as easily take support Nasus. However, even with just a philo and some boots, nunu is able to naturally sustain pretty well, he's beefy, and his ult does incredible damage.

Since you have a support nunu, your utility needs to come from somewhere else, and in that case, you can use a champion which requires more farm and has a good kit for it, someone who trades a little bit of damage for a lot of utility. Karma's a pretty good example of a utility mage, or maokai, orianna, etc. Those are people whose abilities get absolutely ridiculous with farm, but their damage is just not as high as your traditional people who would be in those roles (mid usually, or jungle for maokai, in those examples).

Since nunu doesn't need much farm to shore up the damage deficit, you're good to trade some utility onto somewhere else. That's why you might see nunu going bot as support, but victor going mid.

Nunu also has the highest HP/level in the game making him naturally beefy.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Exactly

He don't need to buy no hp. He's already pretty much good to go.

• Options
    MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    Alternatively to buffing the mana management on the old champs, they could nerf the mana on newer champs. As it is, mana is just not all that important to build on casters, it tends to get to a point where you can just ignore it. Especially with blue. I think it would be interesting to see how they could make mana a relevant stat, so people actually have to plan in more into their buils.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    should i buy shen

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    should i buy shen

Yes. Just don't expect to play him.

But you don't want to be the leader that can't first pick him for yourself or someone else when he occasionally slips through the bans.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    I think that, in the current meta, the more stringent requirement for a support is that they do not need farm to be effective.

Here's the thing about supports not needing farm; in low-ish ELO, given how many creeps are missed by most players, it's very easy for a 0 cs player to keep up with other players' gold supplies through runes, masteries and kills/assists. I'm at about 1300 ELO, and despite having <30 CS for the first 30 minutes of most games I still tend to have an above-average amount of gold on the results screen.

The consequence of this is that playing a champ who can transition from a pokey "support" at the start of the game to their normal build in late-game seems totally viable. I know it works for champs like Lux (who seems to be getting classed as a regular support more frequently these days), Gangplank, Shen and Orianna; the downsides are that a) your team might wind up missing a few aura items in later team fights, b) even though your overall gold will match the rest of your team, you'll have spent more money on wards, and c) the better other players are at hitting creeps, the greater the gold disparity between them and you.

• Options
    Burnage wrote: »
    I think that, in the current meta, the more stringent requirement for a support is that they do not need farm to be effective.

Here's the thing about supports not needing farm; in low-ish ELO, given how many creeps are missed by most players, it's very easy for a 0 cs player to keep up with other players' gold supplies through runes, masteries and kills/assists. I'm at about 1300 ELO, and despite having <30 CS for the first 30 minutes of most games I still tend to have an above-average amount of gold on the results screen.

The consequence of this is that playing a champ who can transition from a pokey "support" at the start of the game to their normal build in late-game seems totally viable. I know it works for champs like Lux (who seems to be getting classed as a regular support more frequently these days), Gangplank, Shen and Orianna; the downsides are that a) your team might wind up missing a few aura items in later team fights, b) even though your overall gold will match the rest of your team, you'll have spent more money on wards, and c) the better other players are at hitting creeps, the greater the gold disparity between them and you.

That is completely true. Gotta play to your level after all. I'm in about the same level as you, which is primarily why my tactic of "run around like a madman with janna on full harassment mode" dominates so hard. If I were 300 elo higher, I think I'd probably be leveling a bit more shield and a bit less zephyr.

But I am terrible at last hitting, so instead of ensuring no gold is lost for my team, I just ensure my carry has the easiest time possible. Two sides of the same coin.

• Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    I need to train myself to last hit under pressure of harassment. I have this tendency to get bogged down taking pot-shots at the opponent, and miss last hits.

Then I realise about ten minutes in and improve dramatically. Which may have a lot to do with the combination of: higher AD to get last hits, and b) increased ability to use spells to get last hits.

I really need to work on this.

Also, in the last game I played, I went mid versus LeBlanc and didn't die! She still got 4 kills by 20 minutes, though.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    Hige KidHige Kid Registered User regular
    I'm chomping at the bit for Varus. I hope they bring him in this week, rather than next week. I don't want the Hecarim patch shenanigans to take away from my Varus time <3

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I seem to be building more and more champions straight damage

• Options
    Jars wrote: »
    I seem to be building more and more champions straight damage
    jars do straight damage leona it will be awesome

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    So, is it worth it at all to pick up a wriggles on phoenix udyr? He's one of the only junglers I've played recently that I don't build one on and it feels kind of weird not having free wards and not being able to solo dragon in less than a year.

I really like him, but I feel weird about not having strong dragon control and having to buy wards.

What am I, support?

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    I don't own leona
    buy her

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    I don't own leona

• Options
    Obviously the only choices left to you are Critzcrank and Singed, the Mad AD Carry

• Options
    I don't own either of those, and ad blitz and ap singed are very common on dominion and TT respectively

• Options
    Crittlesticks.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    I should do ad gragas

• Options
    AD Leblong is baller.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    I should do ad gragas
    Used to be a thing between slam and drinking and being tanky with locket.

But why do that when you can just chuck barrels for 1/4 of a guy's health?

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    because you can bop guys with your belly on crits

• Options
    I now have an urge to play customs just to see everyone's crit animation.

Like, I've never seen Nasus', that I remember. I wonder what Viktor's is. Or Ryze.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Does everyone have different crit animations? I can't recall anything special on Irelia.

• Options
    malkothmalkoth Registered User regular
    MF fires flaming bullets for her crits

"Be who you are, and say what you feel because those who mind dont matter, and those who matter dont mind." - Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Play AP Blitz.

One grab, one kill.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    everyone has crit animations

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Riot kinda needs to go through all the older champs and buff their mana regen to be similar to or equal to present champion mana regen. It's sad watching someone like Panth or Trist go oom while Graves and Vayne are rolling around with no worries in the world.
    Tristana would be OP with more MP/5. Especially with the recent dorans changes that make burst more effective[less hit points on carries] and have made people buy less dorans in favor of rushing damage items first [making it easier to burst with Tristana]

The only time i have had mana issues as Tristana is when I got a double kill at level 1 on an invade [and so got to use rocket jump 3 times in a row in quick succession, two for kills and one to escape]

edit: That game went predictably
    TristOP.png

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    This week; a terrible free champ rotation!
    Graves
    Nunu
    Ryze
    Rammus
    Maokai
    Sion
    Shaco
    Soraka
    Ahri
    Corki

I'm glad I get to play Graves and Ahri again, at least.

• Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    Hey, we don't have to ban Shaco this week woooo

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    Kamiro wrote: »
    What's a good way to ask a jungler for ganks? Every time I try and explain to the jungler: hey my lane is always pushed to my tower, can you please gank? They always get super pissed off that I'm "telling them what to do, stfu noob, why don't you stop losing your lane, etc".

"Free kill top!" usually works.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
  • Options
    If I wasn't playing Dota I'd be playing Twitch all week. Nothing shits on Shaco harder than a stealth hero in his jungle.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    What's a good way to ask a jungler for ganks? Every time I try and explain to the jungler: hey my lane is always pushed to my tower, can you please gank? They always get super pissed off that I'm "telling them what to do, stfu noob, why don't you stop losing your lane, etc".

Ping. "no wards top, easy kill"

If there are wards and he gets spotted "sorry, jungler must have placed them, he didn't leave"

Edit: Ideally do that when he is in the area or on the way to the area.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Arivia wrote: »
    Hey, we have to ban Shaco every single game this week to keep him off of OUR team woooo

Fixed for truth.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular

My only recommendation is to make sure they aren't busy with something like covering a lane when you ask, as that's the only time I usually get annoyed. Blame the jungler is really common and frustrating so it's easy to immediately get defensive when someone says something, even if they're not just whining. That said, I definitely appreciate a heads up that you are ready to go when it actually looks like a gank could happen, meaning you aren't on their side of the river, preferably it's warded, and if you're a double lane that you are both in the lane.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Why do hp regen quints have to be so expensive :(

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Enigma435Enigma435 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

If you want a jungle to gank your lane you want to ensure them that gank is going to work. This means tracking where the enemy is warding, your/their summoners status, ults, etc. If my top lane just says "need a gank top jungle" I'm not nearly as motivated compared to them saying "no ward river, my ignite up, their ult down". That statement doesn't even ask for a gank explicitly, but it'll get you one far more often. Also if you just need your lane covered instead of a gank just ask for that. The jungle then knows they will at least get a few creeps and can approach from a quick safe route.

Enigma435 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    Rami wrote: »
    Why do hp regen quints have to be so expensive :(

Take a look at flat cdr blues, then say that to me again with a straight face.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Depends on what's happening in the other lanes.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
This discussion has been closed.