As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo eShop] THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    “I have a great deal of interest in doing a (Zack and Wiki) sequel. It’s one of several IPs that I want to return to. As for Nintendo 3DS…it would be fun if people could play and solve puzzles together.” - Capcom’s Hironobu Takeshita

Man, a Zack and Wiki sequel would be awesome and the 3DS would probably prove a better audience for it than the Wii. Cross all your fingers and toes people.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    “I have a great deal of interest in doing a (Zack and Wiki) sequel. It’s one of several IPs that I want to return to. As for Nintendo 3DS…it would be fun if people could play and solve puzzles together.” - Capcom’s Hironobu Takeshita

Man, a Zack and Wiki sequel would be awesome and the 3DS would probably prove a better audience for it than the Wii. Cross all your fingers and toes people.

Zack & Wiki would be a million times better on 3DS. I liked the game but honestly the wiimote got in the way more than anything in that. It was just used as a cursor anyways, so touch screen would be a lot better.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    That'd be awesome. I loved Zak and Wiki, until I hit a game bug on my save game where I couldn't get any further. :(

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Zack and Wiki was one the best things to happen in the early Wii days. Such a fun game.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    When Mario 3D Land launched I was getting 2-3 streetpasses every time I took my 3DS out. Now I haven't got a single streetpass in a month. Where did everybody go?!

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    I was really confused there, and then I realized you were not talking about Zack and Miri. That's something different.

• Options
    Houn wrote: »
    I was really confused there, and then I realized you were not talking about Zack and Miri. That's something different.

Heh, I sometimes make that connection in reverse.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    My GameStop in the mall is my streetpass/puzzle generator. :D If I'm in the mall to get something else, or eat (great Vietnamese place!) I'll walk by and get the streetpass of the guy(s) who work there. They have nearly all the puzzle pieces and most if not all the pink pieces.

How are Streetpass/Spotpass places generated? Im so lost on all of that. I only recognize it when i pass someone that has Mario Kart 7 and it shows up in my game but what about when other ghosts ands tuff show up, thats Spot Pass?

• Options
    edited April 2012
    My GameStop in the mall is my streetpass/puzzle generator. :D If I'm in the mall to get something else, or eat (great Vietnamese place!) I'll walk by and get the streetpass of the guy(s) who work there. They have nearly all the puzzle pieces and most if not all the pink pieces.

How are Streetpass/Spotpass places generated? Im so lost on all of that. I only recognize it when i pass someone that has Mario Kart 7 and it shows up in my game but what about when other ghosts ands tuff show up, thats Spot Pass?

By "generator" I meant the guy(s) who work there have most/all the puzzle pieces.

Steetpass - 3DS to 3DS communication (Streetpass puzzle pieces, Miis, Mario Kart Prix, Super Mario bonuses, and a possible mode of transferring Swapnotes)
    Spotpass - Internet to 3DS communication (Puzzle pieces from Nintendo, Miis from Nintendo, more common Swapnote method, MK7 ghost data, Pokedex updates, etc)

Some stores (Best Buy, McDs, GameStops, I'm not really sure where all they are) have Nintendo Zone connections (basically a specialty access point that the 3DS connects to and can serve trivia, coupons, internet, etc) that you can connect to without setting up a wireless profile.

You can actually set up your own access point at home to mimic a Nintendo Zone connection. There are directions online.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I've been curious, since I have yet to get a StreetPass; anyone have a rough idea on the radius of those things?

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I've been curious, since I have yet to get a StreetPass; anyone have a rough idea on the radius of those things?

30-40 feet or so.

FYI, StreetPasses are still fairly rare to come by unless you happen to live in a fairly dense metro area or go to places that might attract people like us, i.e. movie theaters, game stores, college campuses, game conventions, etc. I live in a secondary metro area and StreetPasses are pretty damn rare for me.

One trick is to go into a game store and make sure the 3DS display is set to broadcast (the switch is on the right side). Usually they aren't to save battery life.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Every time I go into town I wander into GAME looking for Streetpass hits but am always disappointed. You'd think there'd be some kids in with the things even if the staff are all at that awkward 'too cool for Nintendo' age.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »

30-40 feet or so.

FYI, StreetPasses are still fairly rare to come by unless you happen to live in a fairly dense metro area or go to places that might attract people like us, i.e. movie theaters, game stores, college campuses, game conventions, etc. I live in a secondary metro area and StreetPasses are pretty damn rare for me.

One trick is to go into a game store and make sure the 3DS display is set to broadcast (the switch is on the right side). Usually they aren't to save battery life.

The new demo stations I have seen now don't Streetpass. They play the game only and lock the system out of any Home features. I used to get streetpasses from the Target demo station but then when they got the Mario Kart 7 demo it stopped.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    I got my first StreetPass!

Apparently someone at Wal-Mart had their 3DS on them

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

30-40 feet or so.

The new demo stations I have seen now don't Streetpass. They play the game only and lock the system out of any Home features. I used to get streetpasses from the Target demo station but then when they got the Mario Kart 7 demo it stopped.

Really? Hm. The one at my Target is running Mario Kart, but it still Streetpasses. Though, like I said, you have to manually turn it on.

The weirdest one I encountered was in GameStop... it didn't give me a Streetpass, but it did give me Mario 3D Land stuff.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    I live on a large college campus and I would say I consistently get about 2 streetpasses per day, and can get about 8 if I go to the anime club on a good day, so I can imagine that for most people it must seem about as dry as a desert.

Its a shame because I think its a really cool idea and I would love to see more of it, but as it is its definitely designed for population-dense areas.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    There's another Dinosaur Office up. At this point, that's the only reason I even bother to check the videos.

• Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    As someone who hasn't owned a 3DS yet but will in about a week, I have to ask: Is there a good reason to do StreetPassing at all? I hope this doesn't offend anyone, but I don't see the point, but maybe I'm missing something because of the limited reading I've done about it.

RockinX on
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    RockinX wrote: »
    As someone who hasn't owned a 3DS yet but will in about a week, I have to ask: Is there a good reason to do StreetPassing at all? I hope this doesn't offend anyone, but I don't see the point.

Is fun a good reason? I seem to think Find Mii is pretty enjoyable, albeit simple. The 3D puzzles are pretty cool once you've completed them too.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    As someone who hasn't owned a 3DS yet but will in about a week, I have to ask: Is there a good reason to do StreetPassing at all? I hope this doesn't offend anyone, but I don't see the point.

Is fun a good reason? I seem to think Find Mii is pretty enjoyable, albeit simple. The 3D puzzles are pretty cool once you've completed them too.
    Please elaborate. I haven't read about those.

• Options

Please elaborate. I haven't read about those.

I didn't understand it before I owned one either, but here, I'll jump on this

Okay, so, there are coins. Your system has a pedometer built into it, so by carrying it with you, you build up steps. Every 100 steps gets you a coin, for a maximum of 10 coins a day (from 1,000 steps). Coins are key, since even if you don't have anyone around to Streetpass with, you can still do the games.

Find Mii is like a weird little simple RPG. For two coins, you "hire" a new adventurer (which is just a random avatar) and send it into the castle to find you, because you've been locked up. You can do attack or magic, but basically you only get one turn if you don't kill an enemy, because if they get a chance to attack back, it "scares" the random avatar away. So ten coins would get you five avatars for use in Find Mii. However, if you've StreetPassed with someone, they're in your plaza, and you can use them in the game, which means that you now have an additional avatar to use. It basically saves you two coins. It's a neat little bit of fun for what it is, but I bet it'd be a lot cooler once you have, say, five friends or more.

Puzzle Swap is sort of the same idea; you can spend two coins to get a puzzle piece for a random picture based on a Nintendo product (which, when completed, will be viewable in 3D), and when you StreetPass with someone, you can grab a puzzle piece from one of the pictures that they've already collected and add it to your collection. Again, nothing earth-shattering, but a really neat diversion.

Tomorrow will be my first day back at work since getting a 3DS, so I should easily be able to get over 1,000 steps a day now.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Streetpasses are pretty awesome for in-game stuff, especially recent games like Resident Evil and Kid Icarus. I said this earlier this month when somebody asked about streetpassing:
    Many games can register themselves in your 3DS to also exchange data, whether the game's in the system or not. Early games had simpler benefits; you would earn a small amount of currency in Lego Star Wars, exchange gifts with other pet owners in Nintendogs+Cats, and exchange ghost data for a race in Ridge Racer. Mario Kart 7 exchanges player data and lets you race a version of them, based on the system's analysis of their normal performance.

The most fun and best uses so far: Resident Evil Revelations deposits a small amount of ammo for single player use and generates a boss zombie version of the other player to kill in Raid Mode (as if they had fallen to infection). Kid Icarus lets you give out copies of any weapon of your choice to others, which they do have to pay to claim but it's still really nice.

There are other uses, too. Very tangible benefits.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Some upcoming games are going to have massive streetpassing awesome juju.

AC will have townpeople migration and probably item sharing, Fire Emblem will allow you to share your custom unit for hilarious results.

Gen VI of Pokémon will probably have something incredible with it.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    It's nearly 3 months since I got my 3DS and I never got a Streetpass :( Hopefully that will change with the 3DS finally getting released here.

And wait, holy crap, you can get coins with the pedometer? Mind blown. The fact that I didn't know that probably has to do with me never taking my 3DS out of the house yet.

• Options
    ...Is there another way to get coins?

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Yeah. My 3DS, three days old no less, sits in the console of my car when I'm not playing it. Throwing it in my backpack from now on.
    Gen VI of Pokémon will probably have something incredible with it.

Is a few years off right? Black/White 2 come out this year in NA?

• Options
    Streetpasses are pretty awesome for in-game stuff, especially recent games like Resident Evil and Kid Icarus. I said this earlier this month when somebody asked about streetpassing:
    Many games can register themselves in your 3DS to also exchange data, whether the game's in the system or not. Early games had simpler benefits; you would earn a small amount of currency in Lego Star Wars, exchange gifts with other pet owners in Nintendogs+Cats, and exchange ghost data for a race in Ridge Racer. Mario Kart 7 exchanges player data and lets you race a version of them, based on the system's analysis of their normal performance.

The most fun and best uses so far: Resident Evil Revelations deposits a small amount of ammo for single player use and generates a boss zombie version of the other player to kill in Raid Mode (as if they had fallen to infection). Kid Icarus lets you give out copies of any weapon of your choice to others, which they do have to pay to claim but it's still really nice.

Now this actually sounds appealing. The other stuff doesn't sound like it would interest me, though the puzzles sound nice.

How do you guys keep your top screen from getting scratched (well, dirty is a better word) when you're carrying your 3DS systems around?

• Options
    ...Is there another way to get coins?

I didn't even know what you used the coins for!

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012

Now this actually sounds appealing. The other stuff doesn't sound like it would interest me, though the puzzles sound nice.

How do you guys keep your top screen from getting scratched (well, dirty is a better word) when you're carrying your 3DS systems around?

The wrapping it was in in the box. Of course I really only play when I've got time between jobs/class/driving to either in my car.

joshgotro on
  • Options

Regular washing of my pants does the job nicely

• Options
    Hmmm....

IRYrN.jpg

HMMMMM....

• Options
    Where is that from?

Is anything known about NSMB2? I really don't know much about it, though I hope it's more in-line with NSMB Wii, which was great; I found the original NSMB to be a huge bore

• Options
    Apparently the Nintendo press site.

It could be a typo, sure.

It could also be a fullfillment of their retail games on 3DS shop statement from the last investor meeting as NSMB2 is likely to be their first major title after E3.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Damn you XoB! I came here to post that!

From the screenshots we've seen, flight's back in, and it seems to have a heavy SMB3 influence.

edit: It was a typo. Shit.

1qm8M.png

EVOL on
  • Options

No, I mean, I've read some people say that their top screens got scratched by the edges of the bottom screens after closing the 3DS.

• Options

No, I mean, I've read some people say that their top screens got scratched by the edges of the bottom screens after closing the 3DS.

You can either use screen protectors or adhesive feet. IIRC newer models don't have this problem, but no reason to not play it safe.

• Options
    EVOL wrote: »

You can either use screen protectors or adhesive feet. IIRC newer models don't have this problem, but no reason to not play it safe.

Oh, I'm so glad, thanks.

• Options
    edited April 2012

One that I like a lot is Dead or Alive Dimensions will approximate your playstyle (I honestly have no clue how accurate this is) and actually allow you to challenge other people via streetpass. So basically you trade something like ghost data with them, and the AI sort of mimics the playstyle of that person. So you fight an AI-controlled approximation of them. Even if it possibly does a shitty job, it's fun to play :)

Edit: Regarding the Mario thing, I figured out what you guys were looking at, but I'm more interested in the idea that they might actually replace the generic Toads with, you know, real characters :P Maybe a bit of Super Mario Bros. 2 influence to go with the title? :P (not that it was actually SMB2 in Japan but hey, they've probably re-released that version in Japan more than they have the actual SMB2 :P)

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    About the same, actually. One more for our SMB2 if you count Doki Doki Panic.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    EvilRedEyeEvilRedEye Registered User regular
    They do put retail games on the eShop, albeit as weird husk entries that say 'Not available on eShop'. Could it be crossed wires or automation?

Gone.
This discussion has been closed.