As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX PRIME 2012 Information and FAQ (READ THIS FIRST, THEN ASK ALL QUESTIONS HERE)

• adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    Is there an Indie showcase at Prime like there is at East?

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    yes it's slightly diffrent thought.

It's called The PAX 10

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    Crogoth wrote: »
    Does anyone one know when people start planning for PAX Train? looking to get everything out of the way asap.

Last year TimeCruiserMike put the thread up in April. So expect it sometime soon. Click here for last year's thread

IhtGIyi.png
    Ok one more question (we booked late for East). Do they open up the hotel reservation system the same day as the passes?

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Ok one more question (we booked late for East). Do they open up the hotel reservation system the same day as the passes?

Not necessarily. They have not in the past for any of the paxen I've been a part of, but that doesn't mean they couldn't do so in the future.

zerzhul wrote: »

Not necessarily. They have not in the past for any of the paxen I've been a part of, but that doesn't mean they couldn't do so in the future.

In the past which one has opened up first? Trying to make sure I have all my ducks in a row so we can book everything.

edited April 2012

In the past which one has opened up first? Trying to make sure I have all my ducks in a row so we can book everything.

Well for East 2012, Hotels opened before passes. I really don't think it's any indicator of future plans though. I wouldn't be surprised to see passes open before hotels this time, but I have no concrete basis for that.

The reality is you just need to be ready and able to pounce on either whenever they come ;)

zerzhul on
  • ioicctsniwioicctsniw Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Edited:

I'm a bonehead - found the answer.

Sorry about that.

ioicctsniw on
  • hiddenllamahiddenllama SeattleRegistered User regular
    MelesMeles wrote: »
    SQUEAL! I was so excited to see this thread. After just turning 21, I'm really looking forward to the after parties, I suppose there is no news on those yet? :P

Make sure you keep an eye out for the Tri-Wizard Drinking Tournament. It's a lot of fun, and there is a non-zero possibility that I will end up in a wizard dance-duel outside a karaoke bar. In fact, I'd place the odds at 10:1 in favour.

I will most definitely have to look into this, I've always wanted to end up in a dance-duel :)

• CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Ah. The great Muggle (that is what the Sober Assistants to the houses were called prior to last year's addition of House Elves) Dance-Off of 2008. Too bad it was never completed.
    Slytherins won anywho. :P

The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • mattrock1988mattrock1988 Registered User new member
    edited April 2012
    Hello fellow netizens!

So I have an idea for a panel and I want to sign up for space to give my talk. It would be on how to get your start in online journalism (which can be applied to game journalism too). Where would I go about doing this? Also, do acquiring slots for panels cost money? And if so, how much would I expect to pay? Thanks!

Matt

mattrock1988 on
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Found it by digging around the site...

http://panels.paxsite.com/

Granted, you may want to wait a bit until it changes for Prime; they will probably make an announcement somewhere when panel submissions are open.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • mattrock1988mattrock1988 Registered User new member
    Many thanks!

This question is also answered in the FAQ.

• SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    SmallLady wrote: »

SmallLady,

Because the FAQ has gotten so large I think it would be a HUGE help if an index was placed at the beginning. Especially a clickable index that would take them to the spot on the page that would answer their question, rather than having to scroll through the whole thing wondering if they missed it somewhere.

SkeleVader on
    IhtGIyi.png
    SkeleVader wrote: »
    SmallLady wrote: »

SmallLady,

Because the FAQ has gotten so large I think it would be a HUGE help if an index was placed at the beginning. Especially a clickable index that would take them to the spot on the page that would answer their question, rather than having to scroll through the whole thing wondering if they missed it somewhere.

If you would like to write one up with all the urls and bbcode and PM it to me I'll be happy to add it. That's something I just don't have time for at the moment.

However another great tool is ctrl+f

SmallLady wrote:
    HOW DO I FIND ANYTHING IN THIS FAQ?!? give me the tl;dr!

Well... that's kinda hard. But you can search for the topic you are looking for using ctrl +f or using this fancy shamcy index provided by SkeleVader

*please note however that as questions get added to the FAQ, the index will become out of date.

Updated :)

• aludrachaosaludrachaos Registered User regular
    Really looking forward to the concerts. When should I start lining up for them at the event? Also, are all the afterparties 21+?

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Concert Line-up: A big fat "it depends". If you absoultey positively have to be at the front and want to see every act that night, then at least 2 hours before the concerts start is your best bet. If you only want to catch the headliner, then feel free to stoll on by the Paramount and see if there's a line to get in. Even if the theater's full (when I went to see JoCo on Saturday I got a spot fairly easily), the concerts and Omegathon finale were streamed in the Wolfman theater. Not sure if that'll still be the case this year, but I'd be kind of shocked if it wasn't.

Afterparties: I'd count on that.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • MelesMelesMelesMeles Registered User regular
    Really looking forward to the concerts. When should I start lining up for them at the event? Also, are all the afterparties 21+?

If there's going to be alcohol, the answer is almost certainly yes, just due to state licensing laws. However there will be tons of fun stuff going on in hotel lobbies, at restaurants, etc, which will be open to all. Chat to people on the forums, look at the afterparties going up, and if you want to organise an under 21s afterparty, then throw a post on the forum and seize the horns by the bull...or something like that.

My first year, I wanted to have a Pre-Pax Fried Food Extravaganza. So, I did. We ended up with a ton of people there, and much fried foods were eaten! Extravaganza-ly.

• CrogothCrogoth Registered User regular
    Kiashien wrote: »
    How do I convince my girlfriend to let me go without her, without being stabbed in the throat? (She possibly wants to go more than I do, but doesn't have the vacation time available at this time)

i convinced my girlfriend to let me go alone, it was only because she knew how excited i was for this and knew that if she came along she would only whine the entire time about being bored...

that being said, every single time PAX comes up she gets mad and just about stabs me in the throat. Gonna be worth it IMO

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    i convinced my girlfriend to let me go alone, it was only because she knew how excited i was for this and knew that if she came along she would only whine the entire time about being bored...

that being said, every single time PAX comes up she gets mad and just about stabs me in the throat. Gonna be worth it IMO

Sounds like you need a new girlfriend brosefski.

wWuzwvJ.png
    TOGSolid wrote: »

she's cool, just doesn't like being alone

she's cool, just doesn't like being alone

There's plenty to do at PAX for non-hardcore gamers, if she's interested. Tabletop freeplay, the lighthearted panels, the concerts, and the community events, all of those might be a great way to introduce her to PAX if she does want to go!

• NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    Does she play any DS games? If so, then Handheld Lounge is definitely a cool place to be as well. Very chill and non-intimidating.

Guys. this is NOT the "how do I get my SO to go to PAX?" thread.

Please keep it on topic of real questions.

• betamillerbetamiller Registered User new member
    Presenting at PX Prime:
    I'm interested in presenting on Games for Learning in terms of Design as well as curriculum alignment for the classroom. I'm a national advocate in the topic and do regular blogging for Edutopia as well.
    Who can I contact on this? Thank you
    Andrew Miller
    www.andrewkmiller.com
    andrew@andrewkmiller

betamiller wrote: »
    Presenting at PX Prime:
    I'm interested in presenting on Games for Learning in terms of Design as well as curriculum alignment for the classroom. I'm a national advocate in the topic and do regular blogging for Edutopia as well.
    Who can I contact on this? Thank you
    Andrew Miller
    www.andrewkmiller.com
    andrew@andrewkmiller

SmallLady wrote:
    I have an amazing idea for a panel!! Who should I contact?!?

if you just have an idea email pax_panels@paxsite.com with your pitch! If you actually want to run your own panel head over to panels.paxsite.com with your proposal. If accepted you and your participants will receive a complimentary Speaker Pass for PAX Prime 2012. Good luck!

• MOSFETMOSFET Registered User regular
    Does anyone of the grizzled vets of hotel reservations have a super effective strategy for getting a reservation through the OnPoint website when they go live? Or should I just F5 a lot?

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    It's just like getting passes, you only need to get there early enough.

• jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Renton, WARegistered User regular
    MOSFET wrote: »
    Does anyone of the grizzled vets of hotel reservations have a super effective strategy for getting a reservation through the OnPoint website when they go live? Or should I just F5 a lot?
    Just go to the site when they go live and book one. I've never had a problem booking in the first couple of days of the site being live. Pay attention to the @Official_PAX twitter and this forum to know when the site is live.

--Jarrod "Jaberwocky" Lombardo, PAX Enforcer: Info Booth Manager.
    "We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.

OnPeak, not OnPoint :)

I'm not 100% sure what you're asking. If you want to know when stuff goes live, keep an eye on these forums, and on the official_pax twitter feed. Then you click and book. If you want to be the absolute first, I guess you need to F5 the forums a lot. There's no real pre-warning about when it goes out. In the past though, it usually hits the forums slightly before going out on twitter.

• tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular

I'm not 100% sure what you're asking. If you want to know when stuff goes live, keep an eye on these forums, and on the official_pax twitter feed. Then you click and book. If you want to be the absolute first, I guess you need to F5 the forums a lot. There's no real pre-warning about when it goes out. In the past though, it usually hits the forums slightly before going out on twitter.

Perhaps it's been oversold how fast these things go. They won't go in hours even I'd guess (I got a room at the Grand Hyatt last year I think some 3 weeks after they posted. I remember buying the room some time after I bought the tickets and I bought the tickets about 2 weeks after they went on sale.) I wouldn't stall (like I did last year) but if you don't get around to it until you get home from work I doubt it'll be the end of days.

tsrblke wrote: »

Perhaps it's been oversold how fast these things go. They won't go in hours even I'd guess (I got a room at the Grand Hyatt last year I think some 3 weeks after they posted. I remember buying the room some time after I bought the tickets and I bought the tickets about 2 weeks after they went on sale.) I wouldn't stall (like I did last year) but if you don't get around to it until you get home from work I doubt it'll be the end of days.

Yeah it's highly dependent on the hotel. Some hotels may go faster than others, but you won't have a problem getting a close hotel same-day most likely. That doesn't mean that ONE of the hotels won't sell out or something, but there will still be close stuff.

Yeah it's highly dependent on the hotel. Some hotels may go faster than others, but you won't have a problem getting a close hotel same-day most likely. That doesn't mean that ONE of the hotels won't sell out or something, but there will still be close stuff.

I just checked last years hotel thread and it seems that for a couple of the hotels Sunday and Thursday nights booked within a few hours (or just had very few rooms) but Friday and Saturday did not. Is this the norm for Prime?

I just checked last years hotel thread and it seems that for a couple of the hotels Sunday and Thursday nights booked within a few hours (or just had very few rooms) but Friday and Saturday did not. Is this the norm for Prime?

The general rule is that PAX will always get more popular than the last PAX. This means that things will likely sell out just as fast, if not faster, this year over last year. That's about as much info as anyone has. There's no real "norm" except for the event becoming more popular.

is anyone else slightly concerned at the lack of tweet from @Official_Pax?

is anyone else slightly concerned at the lack of tweet from @Official_Pax?

Negative. They always need some time off between PAXen to regroup.

Nope. Think of it as the calm before the storm.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    MelesMeles wrote: »
    Really looking forward to (hopefully) attending my first PAX.

Word of sagely advice: Only bring a shirt or two with you. You will be walking out of there with a paxjillion free new shirts.

Word of sagely advice: pack shirts equal to number of nights you go out + number of days you go out. Our noses will all thank you. And t-shirts don't take much room.

I should have mentioned "if you are an expo hall fan " in my post. Showing up smelly is a good way to find yourself getting maced with febreeze.

Man, these forums are super broken on Android.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
This discussion has been closed.