As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PATV] Monday, April 23, 2012 - CheckPoint Season 1, Ep. 51: Power Sink

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited April 2012 in The Penny Arcade Hub
CheckPoint Season 1, Ep. 51: Power Sink
http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/power-sink
Is your console destroying the country's power grid? Yes. The answer is yes.

Geth on

• 2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    God that last bit was embarrassing to watch.

I heartily approve.

• El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Yeah, they do a good job of doing stuff that is embarrassingly funny.

I think it might be a Canadian humour thing.

• Kathleen_LRRKathleen_LRR Registered User regular
    God that last bit was embarrassing to watch.

I heartily approve.

Ghost stories are awesome. I don't know what you're talking about. :P

• Good Looking Fat GuyGood Looking Fat Guy West Hartford, CTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Was Graham's reaction at the end unplanned? Because he seemed genuinely bemused.

Good Looking Fat Guy on
  • suddosuddo Registered User new member
    Cosmo and Zeldafreakglitcha are not the same person just as a note.

• GrahamSGrahamS Registered User regular
    suddo wrote: »
    On the one hand: Dammit! We really do try to be as correct as possible.
    On the other hand: Internet nicknames are so hard to keep track of.

In our defence, the videos uploaded to the "ZeldaFreakGlitcha" YouTube account refer to "me" and "I" and link to "my" Twitch.tv channel where "Cosmo" is speedrunning. There's no indication that they're different people.

• FSM | Tom NookFSM | Tom Nook Registered User new member
    Cosmo and ZFG are different people :)

If you could clear that up in your next video that'd be great. Will probably be a new OoT World Record by then too

• mzxrulesmzxrules Registered User new member
    GrahamS wrote: »

In our defence, the videos uploaded to the "ZeldaFreakGlitcha" YouTube account refer to "me" and "I" and link to "my" Twitch.tv channel where "Cosmo" is speedrunning. There's no indication that they're different people.

Took me a while to figure out where the confusion would be. I'm guessing you read "World Record 22:56 by Cosmo" and assumed that was his name, oblivious to the possibility that there's actually a community of runners trying to nab the top spot atm.

GrahamS wrote: »

Don't worry just thought you might want to know. In your defense Cosmo has probably done it in under 25 minutes too he just hasn't posted it yet. After all ZFG (Zeldafreakglitcha) did a 26 minute, if I remember, run about an hour after the glitch had been discovered.

• agilemaniaagilemania Lyon EstatesRegistered User regular
    Based on what I read yesterday after watching the speedrun, two speedrunners (sockfolder and r0bd0g) discovered the "warp from Gohma battle to Ganon's Castle" glitch a couple of weeks ago. ZFG was among the first to attempt a speedrun taking advantage of the glitch, beating the game in 25:32. This significantly improved on the previous record (which was somewhere around 46-47 minutes, I'm not sure). Other people are now using the same method and trying to improve on the record, with Cosmo currently holding the best time of 22:09.

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Can we really consider glitches that let you skip huge portions of the game to be "Speed runs"? You're not playing the game through, you're just playing the beginning and the end.

Dedwrekka on
  • Good Looking Fat GuyGood Looking Fat Guy West Hartford, CTRegistered User regular
    Yeah, that's not a speed run, it's just lazy cheating.

• GrahamSGrahamS Registered User regular
    Yeah, that's not a speed run, it's just lazy cheating.
    It's not "lazy" cheating. It highly involved cheating :D

Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Can we really consider glitches that let you skip huge portions of the game to be "Speed runs"? You're not playing the game through, you're just playing the beginning and the end.

Trust me when I say "This has been debated ad nauseum". In my opinion without glitches speedrun would become stagnate, Ocarina of Time is a great example due to new glitches being found all the time. If hovering hadn't had been found they would have never figure out how to skip all but 2 temples (spirit and shadow); If they didn't discover RBA they wouldn't have discovered how to reduce the time to under an hour; Without this new glitch the game would have never been taken to this end of the extreme. Now sure many will argue that when taken to this extreme the runs become boring but where do you draw the line? This is why there are standards, any% (the all out 24 minute speedrun); The All Dungeon (or MST) where you have to collect all 3 spirit stone, all 6 coins (I forget what they are called), and beat Ganon's trial; And of course 100%. These are considered the big ones and new things are being discovered and balanced which makes the game interesting rather than looking at 1 run 5-10 years ago that was pretty much perfect and going "Oh well I could maybe tie that time but why try."

• agilemaniaagilemania Lyon EstatesRegistered User regular
    snip
    The All Dungeon (or MST) where you have to collect all 3 spirit stone, all 6 coins (I forget what they are called), and beat Ganon's trial

MST = Medallions, Stones, and Trials.