As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Xenoblade Chronicles] The Incredible Shulk MARK YOUR GODDAMN SPOILERS

• PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    I'm about three hours in, and by three hours in, I mean I've spent the past three hours fighting bunnies and bugs and collecting things and doing quests. Plot? What plot?

• LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Wiimote camera controls suck but I like being able to easily move and select attacks at the same time.

• SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    Piotyr wrote: »
    I'm about three hours in, and by three hours in, I mean I've spent the past three hours fighting bunnies and bugs and collecting things and doing quests. Plot? What plot?

And the beauty of the game is the plot will still be there after you finish killing bunnies. Then you can go into the mines and start killing mine dwellers, and so on.

• PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    Syphyre wrote: »
    Piotyr wrote: »

And the beauty of the game is the plot will still be there after you finish killing bunnies. Then you can go into the mines and start killing mine dwellers, and so on.

Not only that, when you're ready to get back to the plot, it's a matter of "press this button for a quick summary of what's going on, and then follow that arrow on top for exactly that distance to get where you're supposed to go."

• ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Man, ordered this and it is gonna take a few days to get here from Nintendo.

walked into a gamestop and they just had it sitting on the shelf.

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Someone should make a list of all the games where someone goes BOY I'M SURE GLAD EVERYTHING IS AWESOME AND NOTHING BAD IS EVER GONNA HAPPEN, HUH? in the first hour.

Because it fucking cracks me up every single time.

sig.gif
    Also yeah I'm in that few-hours-in, oh-my-god-this-rabbit-hole-is-so-deep phase. So many people in Colony 9 want me to do all sorts of shit.

sig.gif
    Still a couple days wait before this gets here. Killing me

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    Also yeah I'm in that few-hours-in, oh-my-god-this-rabbit-hole-is-so-deep phase. So many people in Colony 9 want me to do all sorts of shit.

If you find yourself over-leveled or bored of that stuff just skip it, I don't think I have anywhere above 1-2 stars and I've still put about 70 hours into the game.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I got the fuck out of colony nine as soon as I was able

fuck those quests

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Really the only reason I would still take a side quest now is because of the free boosts to party affinity they often provide.

Maybe some further reward for beating a miniboss.

Well I got a nice dress for Fiora so there.

(past Colony 9)
    oh god Fiora :(

sig.gif
    Also now I really wanna play a prequel to this game starring Dunban that ends where this one begins.

I'm guessing I'm gonna see a lot of his story through flashbacks though.

sig.gif
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Man, doing all those Colony 9/
    Refugee Camp
    sidequests made
    Xord
    a pretty not hard fight

They probably should have tied a level to sidequests so I don't end up getting 750 xp just from running back and forth between two zones

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    Yeah doing all the sidequests seems to make the main story battles absolutely trivial so far. I didn't need to heal even once through the events at Colony 9.

sig.gif
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Also about stuff after Colony 9
    They're really setting Reyn up to be Sharla's silver medal, huh

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    I know Yasunori Mitsuda didn't actually score this game but man

the people who actually did certainly went for his style. You could swear it's a Mitsuda classic.

sig.gif
    Oh wait I guess he did participate in the composition.

Well that explains it then. Some of those songs would sound totally right in Xenogears or Chrono Cross.

sig.gif
    I appreciate all the people marking their spoilers because I really like being able to go into a game with lots of surprises intact.

So are the side quests interesting at all? I think I could see myself doing them if it was helping people out. Just taking a break from saving the world stuff and doing little things here and there

Artreus wrote: »
    I appreciate all the people marking their spoilers because I really like being able to go into a game with lots of surprises intact.

So are the side quests interesting at all? I think I could see myself doing them if it was helping people out. Just taking a break from saving the world stuff and doing little things here and there

So far, they're pretty meh. Most of them (at least early on) give you gold and nothing else. The ones that task you to find an item and bring it to someone give some somewhat entertaining dialogue, and the monster-killing ones, while kind of uninteresting, are brief. Like it's just "kill 3 of those" instead of 15.

Also as soon as you finish a quest a window pops up and gives you the reward. Like literally the second you do. Sometimes it's kinda jarring. You're just killing dudes and all of a sudden POP HERE'S 2000 G.

sig.gif
    Although I must say the respawn mechanics on unique enemies are fuzzy and grating at best. Twice now I killed unique enemies before getting the quest to kill them, and when I went back there they hadn't respawned yet. Found myself saving and reloading, teleporting away and then back, a whole bunch.

sig.gif
    oh yeah I remember hearing about that.

On the one hand, it seems weird to not go back and talk to the people to finish the quest. Feels too video game-y.

On the other hand, it is supposed to be a fuckin long game already and this + the fast travel make it more manageable rather than taking a hundred years to finish the game

• Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    5 days left on the rental of this and I'm only up to some swamp. (Well technically I think I've finished it, but I'm missing 2 floating orb items). Nrnnrnngh. Decent game, though. Feels like they didn't even bother trying to push the Wii though (I've seen plenty of better looking PS2/Wii/X-Box games). Art style is good, though.

You need to remember this is a two year old Wii game. Also, sure the characters don't look great, but there is a lot of stuff on screen at any one time. Also, entire zones are loaded into memory at once (this is why you get no loading screen when quick-traveling inside the same zone). The sacrifice is less detail in the characters, but it works for me.

sig.gif
    Yeah, I'd rather a game that runs well then looks 'amazing' (SotC, according to some) though it's still weird that the character models more remind me of a higher detailed version of something out of Vagrant Story (which is a great looking game, considering) than anything from even one generation ago.

I probably won't be able to finish the game in 5 days but.. we'll see where I get. It's pretty fun though the team AI is spotty at times. I need to read more up on chaining since I'm now realizing that using the same 'color' moves has some.. effect.. of.. something.

I'm getting a real FFX/MGS2 vibe from the level of graphic detail. As weird as it is to say that, it kind of hits a nostalgic note for me.

sig.gif
    I'm hoping I get past the graphics fairly early. I've been spoiled by some fuckin amazing looking games recently

It doesn't look bad due to having a nice art style. It just looks.. dated. If you can still play a PS2 game without going "UGH" you'll be fine.

I will say it's nice to see something not made with the 'vaseline covers everything' look of the UE3 engine.

Especially with

(slight character spoiler that probably won't mean anything to you a priori but only shows up at the end of Colony 9)
    Metal Face

Getting a real Metal Gear vibe from that one.

sig.gif
    I like that's how everyone (so far) actually refers to him. I have to assume it's not his real name, but it's still funny.

On a related note, I'm not entirely sure how I feel about all these quasi-MMO-ish JRPGs that have been floating around. I mean, I understand the appeal and stuff like fast travel helps with issues, but like..

Well, take FFXIII for example. Once you get to a certain place later in the game you look out on what is basically this HUGE sprawling valley that's.. pretty much empty. Yeah, there are monsters here and there (including some massive ones) but instead of being awed with all the things I could do there in, say, WoW it was more like 'Ugh, I have to RUN ALL THAT?!'. Xenoblade isn't quite that bad, but some of the areas feel overly large for no apparent reason.

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    Oh wait I guess he did participate in the composition.

Well that explains it then. Some of those songs would sound totally right in Xenogears or Chrono Cross.

The music is pretty fantastic. Turns out Mitsuda only worked on the end theme. Almost everything else was a team called ACE+ with a little Yoko Shimomura. It's a really good end theme, though!

I do not like seeing JRPGs slant towards MMOish trends myself.

Oh come on, there's no trend of that. There was FFXII and now this. That's two games. If you don't count installments of series that are actual MMOs (and therefore can't really be considered JRPGs), you got FF doing the high-budget cinematic linear experience, Dragon Quest doing the tough-as-nails old-school merciless bit, and Tales being Tales (so kinda straddling the middle with its always oh-so-fun battle system). And that's pretty much it.

sig.gif
    I just hope that the hyperbole surrounding Xenoblade doesn't make developers think that what JRPGs need is more MMO stuff.

Well there's almost definitely gonna be a couple imitators, but you can bet FFXV will be a lot closer to XIII than it is to Xenoblade.

sig.gif
    Don't worry, there are still a ton of boring-ass JRPGs out there

I mean, I guess I'd prefer big open (if empty) places to endless, empty corridors. Oddly enough FF13 did both.

Artreus wrote: »
    Don't worry, there are still a ton of boring-ass JRPGs out there

There's also been a lot of good ones over this generation that lots of people seem to ignore when they act like Xenoblade is the only worthwhile one to come around in years.

And when I think of things that are boring, I think of MMO quest design.

Magus` wrote: »
    5 days left on the rental of this and I'm only up to some swamp. (Well technically I think I've finished it, but I'm missing 2 floating orb items). Nrnnrnngh. Decent game, though. Feels like they didn't even bother trying to push the Wii though (I've seen plenty of better looking PS2/Wii/X-Box games). Art style is good, though.

Have you visited the swamp at night? Because hot damn.

edited April 2012
    It is really cool how a lot of zones look so different at night. The art direction overall is pretty aces.

LockedOnTarget on