As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WH40,000] Tales of the Neckbeard and Adventures in Crazyland, 1000 FLGS stories.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I miss the Last Chancers. :( Having a load of them with voxes individually deepstrike onto an apoc game and call down orbital strikes onto their positions was one of the most fluffy and awesome things I've ever done.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    A pink of some kind, wash with whatever purple thing there is now (I still have pots and more pots of Leviathan Purple). Then do the pink, then 50/50 pink/white for highlighting?

• NODeNODe Registered User regular
    Petrikov wrote: »
    Anybody have tips for getting the glow-effect used on this Noise Marine's legs?

Not the right thread I imagine.
    There also isn't an intentional glow effect on the model you linked. I think you might be reading the grey highlight on the legs as a purple glow...but it's just grey.

• DocSamsonDocSamson Registered User regular
    So I could use some help with a crash course on stripping models. I bought a can of GW white primer for my Trygon, and it's a complete bottle of concentrate ass terribleness. I don't know if I did something completely wrong, but it came out as the weirdest mixture of chalkiness that went all over my hands, and somehow became terrible goop by the time it hit the model. It just poured into the recesses and ruined all the details while leaving the flat surfaces with almost nothing on them. It's almost impressive how bad this looks.

I've read before that simple green is effective, if I just fill up a sink or bucket of some kind and let the Trygon sit in that for a day or two, should I be good? I only did a very brief couple of sprays before noticing how awful it was, so it's not like the entire model is covered. I've never had to strip a mini before and I understand it's not easy for plastic, but I think I could get this crap off even with a knife is I had the time and patience for it.

• MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular
    So, am I dooming myself to a life of misery if I've never played before and want to start a Grey Knight Army?

steam:maguano2
    gamertag:Maguano71
    Switch:SW-8428-8279-1687
  • Mr. Mojo RisinMr. Mojo Risin Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    DocSamson wrote: »
    So I could use some help with a crash course on stripping models. I bought a can of GW white primer for my Trygon, and it's a complete bottle of concentrate ass terribleness. I don't know if I did something completely wrong, but it came out as the weirdest mixture of chalkiness that went all over my hands, and somehow became terrible goop by the time it hit the model. It just poured into the recesses and ruined all the details while leaving the flat surfaces with almost nothing on them. It's almost impressive how bad this looks.

I've read before that simple green is effective, if I just fill up a sink or bucket of some kind and let the Trygon sit in that for a day or two, should I be good? I only did a very brief couple of sprays before noticing how awful it was, so it's not like the entire model is covered. I've never had to strip a mini before and I understand it's not easy for plastic, but I think I could get this crap off even with a knife is I had the time and patience for it.

I just finished stripping a whole stack of models simplegreen works great for some models but anything where the primer bonded well it did next to nothing. I found that some acetone free nail polish remover on a cotton swab worked pretty fantastic especially on flat surfaces although you do need to be careful as it can degrade the plastic a bit (5 minutes+ exposure in my experience)

Anybody have any experience magnetizing jump packs? What size magnet would you use? I have a stack of assault marines that I want the option of going with or without packs.

Mr. Mojo Risin on
    steam_sig.png
  • SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    Maguano wrote: »
    So, am I dooming myself to a life of misery if I've never played before and want to start a Grey Knight Army?

Only if you'll get upset by people rolling their eyes at the three hundred thousandth Grey Knight army they've seen since tuesday.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    SJ wrote: »

Only if you'll get upset by people rolling their eyes at the three hundred thousandth Grey Knight army they've seen since tuesday.

This made me laugh out loud. People at the library are looking at me funny.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Anybody have any experience magnetizing jump packs? What size magnet would you use? I have a stack of assault marines that I want the option of going with or without packs.

2mm magnets should do just fine.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    But 3mm exactly match the pegs/holes on standard Marine packs. You just need a little GS to make 'em fit the slots on a jump pack.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    edited April 2012
    So I went to check out the GW site for the first time in a long time.

Holy shit every GW paint pot in one set? $500? Geez. Then I looked.

When the hell did they completly replace the entire paint range? Is it any good? I need answers!

Librarian's ghost on

That was about two weeks ago. Some of it is very good, some of it is very meh. New glazes are pretty great. There's no more Devlan Mud, I don't care what anyone says.

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    The new paint range is hit-or-miss like every paint range.

I recently bought another batch. Overall I think they did well and I like how it's now an end-to-end system and even has a few frills like paint-on primer and gloss/matte varnish. The return of glazes is a nice touch, though I roll my own.

Mostly I think it's pretty great for a new painter just getting started and I'm fairly certain that was their goal.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular

Since you're local, I can tell you finding something that can strip a Plastic model is difficult in downtown Toronto.

I used to use Simple Green, but Canadian Tire stopped selling it. It looks like Walmart still sells it if you can get to one.

Basically just soak the model in the cleaner, maybe with some water added, overnight. The next day use an old toothbrush to scrub it while running it under warm water. If it doesn't all come off, you can soak and try again.

There was something else I tried that worked well I found at Canadian Tire, I think it was called "purple power" or something like that. That worked well but I haven't seen it on the shelves in a little while.

That was about two weeks ago. Some of it is very good, some of it is very meh. New glazes are pretty great. There's no more Devlan Mud, I don't care what anyone says.

What.

I'm done.

• FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    I miss the Last Chancers. :( Having a load of them with voxes individually deepstrike onto an apoc game and call down orbital strikes onto their positions was one of the most fluffy and awesome things I've ever done.

I miss the actual special character unit. I won against 1000pts of marines with them once. Also, some of the best painting 18 year old FroThulhu ever did.

/oldschool

• MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

What.

I'm done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35TbGjt-weA

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Khade97Khade97 PE10, UKRegistered User regular
    So I could use some help with a crash course on stripping models.

I have used normal Dot4 Brake Fluid to strip both plastic and metal models before. You need then to soak for a while, but the paint comes off a treat with no damage to the model.

No, but we'll all thing less of you. They're competitive and popular, but have this obnoxious "even more super special elite all the other super special elite space marinez" thing going on.

• TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    Matrias wrote: »

No, but we'll all thing less of you. They're competitive and popular, but have this obnoxious "even more super special elite all the other super special elite space marinez" thing going on.

In my day people respected Daemonhunter players.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    I have to say this a lot because new Grey Knights have a lot of bullshit and I get DISAPPROVING LOOKS.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
    edited April 2012
    I have to say this a lot because new Grey Knights have a lot of bullshit and I get DISAPPROVING LOOKS.

I still want to make an Inquisition force with no actual Grey Knights. Led by Inquisitor Adrastia.

Also, I'm cross-posting this here on the account I finally finished my stupid mob.
    IMG_2483.jpg

The glowy eye is painted and not an LED at all! I pretty much rolled a 20 painting that.

Matrias on
  • KisidanKisidan Registered User regular
    Apparently I hate my wallet because I've been seriously considering starting up a new Dark Eldar army. I used to play Necrons but the new fluff just doesn't do it for me. (I LIKED my ranks of soulless, personality-less terminators led by a force of eldritch hunger and hatred. Not the James Bond movie villains of the 40k Universe).

Buuut, I heard that a new edition is going to hit in the summer. It would probably be more sensible to wait until that hits, save my cash, and consider what I want to do when that is out and I don't risk making something that will fall apart instantly under the new rules set.

I also actually have most of an Ultramarines force to paint that has been sitting around for ages, now I think about it. Made purely because the players at my local GW are fairly obnoxious to the kids about Ultramarines and I wanted to troll them. I am a horrible human being. :(

Wait, someone on this forum sold me their Grey Knights. I can't remember who. It was under the old codex though so I'm excused.

Meh, FW has no fun Dark Eldar stuff that's also in impulse-buy range. Some buddies are trying to chip in and get above 300 quid to get free shipping.

Some Tyranid Warrior wings or Ripper swarms, maybe.

• AsherAsher Registered User regular
    Tantalus

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • saluksicsaluksic Registered User regular
    Holy Thunderwolf! Who said space marine Vikings riding huge wolves into battle was dumb? Was that a thing people were saying?

• altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    the red glowing eye is fucking fantastic.

Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
    You'd think three Raiders and two Ravagers would be enough for 1500 points, but noooo. Need one more of each.

saluksic wrote: »
    Holy Thunderwolf! Who said space marine Vikings riding huge wolves into battle was dumb? Was that a thing people were saying?

I still say it. The wolves are cool, space marines riding them is not cool.

• zenpotatozenpotato Registered User regular
    So, new Necrons out next Thursday, May 5th.

How silly would it be of me to put together a Thousand Sons tac squad before the new Chaos codex comes out (supposedly this fall)?

• CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    I wouldn't hold your breath on them suddenly getting better, they've been terrible and overcosted since 3rd

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    Very silly, because 1) they are god damned terrible right now and 2) they could be getting a new kit.

• saluksicsaluksic Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    You'd think three Raiders and two Ravagers would be enough for 1500 points, but noooo. Need one more of each.

Man, that's gotta be a pain to carry all that around.

altmann wrote: »
    the red glowing eye is fucking fantastic.
    I showed it to a buddy and joked to him it was a piece of wargear.

"It costs a lot, but its an assault weapon that fires a lascannon beam."

He flipped. Ranted about Cheese Wolves and the cheese dog cavalry.

edited April 2012
    saluksic wrote: »

Man, that's gotta be a pain to carry all that around.

Been thinking about getting a KR case. Four Raiders/Ravagers in one unit, two of those units, and then the footsloggers in my old GW case.

edit: actually, a KR-3 holds three units. 2x Raiders, one footslogger. Hmm.

Echo on
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular

Fuck that. Get Venomborn support instead.

Or a Razorwing.

makosig.jpg
  • Mr. Mojo RisinMr. Mojo Risin Registered User regular
    Just a heads up for anyone who like me doesnt have space marine yet its on Steam for $10 today.

steam_sig.png
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I have to learn to hold out for games until they're cheap like that. Usually, if I try though, I completely forget about them.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    Guys. I still can't get over the loss of Devlan Mud.

This discussion has been closed.