As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Video Game Industry Thread: Master Chief -- script delivery boy

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    HL2 sold 12 million copies. People are going to want a sequel even if it made absolutely no sense to have a sequel, and a desire for $$$ is going to make Valve want it.

Couscous on
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    Heisenberg wrote: »
    If they really do make what their customers want them to make, HL3 probably isn't far off. Every one of their fans wants it more than anything else. They're likely waiting for it to be nearly finished as to avoid the HL2 release date cluster fuck.

Do people actually want HL3? I have no idea what Valve could do with it to make it stand out at this point.
    An FPS with genuinely interesting characters is still pretty rare these days, even if we are a little sick of "point your mouse at the alien and click, repeat for seven hours" games.

Plus, their atmosphere is top notch.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Not only is Kaz the "PlayStation Guy," but he's already said that Sony's going to rely on the game business to help save Sony.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/168374/Troubled_Sony_relies_on_video_games_to_reverse_its_fortunes.php

Honestly, I can totally see Sony delaying a Vita price drop to the holidays. But unless it's paired with some awesome games that might be too late.
    they might already do this, but they NEED PSN plus on the vita. free games for download would be a great thing to have on a handheld, which i typically own a lot less games for. it's also silly they don't have remote play down yet, but i guess that's really something for people with a decent PS3 library (which i don't have).

the vita just seems really weighed down by bullshit even though the hardware itself seems fine and capable.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    i saw a used vita at gamestop yesterday. i'm surprised people would buy the thing and sell it a month or two later...

They probably didn't realize that it had no good games for it yet and didn't want to wait around for it

I've sold Wiis (plural) in the past but always at profit, but yeah, selling to GameStop is pretty stupid because you'd take an enormous loss on a system

Yeah, was just going to say. It still surprises me people sell to GameStop given the crap amount you get back.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    Also, continuing on a series of what happened to movies based on video games, Wired looks at why the Super Mario Bros. movie was horrible:

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/04/generation-xbox-super-mario-movie/

tl;dr: The producers' vision to make an adult movie clashed with the studio's desire to have a kid's movie.

I remember seeing this as a kid in theaters. I was firmly a Sega kid at that point, having just got my Genesis and having had a SMS for 5 years prior. I had only played Super Mario Bros a handful of times, never for more than 10 minutes at a time, so I was pretty unfamiliar with the games. The movie was baffling - from the little I played, the movie seemed nothing like the games. But it had all the sound effects from the TV cartoon, which was also nothing like the games. I walked away enjoying it as a dumb kids movie, but I think if I would have been more into Mario, I probably would have hated it.

I get the feeling that, despite everyone's enthusiasm for it, the real-world MK Reboot would have wound up just as terrible. You have to respect the lore which defines your property. Hopefully the new MK movie that's supposed to be coming is as awesome as the first MK movie.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Not only is Kaz the "PlayStation Guy," but he's already said that Sony's going to rely on the game business to help save Sony.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/168374/Troubled_Sony_relies_on_video_games_to_reverse_its_fortunes.php

Honestly, I can totally see Sony delaying a Vita price drop to the holidays. But unless it's paired with some awesome games that might be too late.
    they might already do this, but they NEED PSN plus on the vita. free games for download would be a great thing to have on a handheld, which i typically own a lot less games for. it's also silly they don't have remote play down yet, but i guess that's really something for people with a decent PS3 library (which i don't have).

the vita just seems really weighed down by bullshit even though the hardware itself seems fine and capable.

I wonder if Sony's inadvertently shooting itself in the foot by touting stuff in the Vita that isn't fully functional.

"It's got 3G gaming! ...well, maybe not the "gaming" part."
    "Woo, remote play! ...at some point in the future. Hopefully."

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    the new MK movie is supposed to be more gritty/violent, which is fine by me
    i really hope micheal jai white is still jax

I would ask why they are making a new MK movie, but Hollywood is always willing to scoop up fairly average IPs past their prime to try and turn into huge hits.

So just like video game companies.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    If they really do make what their customers want them to make, HL3 probably isn't far off. Every one of their fans wants it more than anything else. They're likely waiting for it to be nearly finished as to avoid the HL2 release date cluster fuck.

Do people actually want HL3? I have no idea what Valve could do with it to make it stand out at this point.

I can think of several things Valve could do to make HL3 stand out, particularly if HL3 is coupled to a new engine.

But it's not like there are really many Half-Life-alikes out there anyway. A million FPS games, sure, but not hardly anything like HL2.

It's supposed to be gritty and violent, but not set in the real world like the original pitch was. It's going to basically be a bigger budget version of the MK Webseries which was released alongside the new MK (which I liked). The original pitch had a bunch of weird shit like Baraka being a mad scientist who sews knives into his arms. Stuff like that. It was going to do away with magic, and wizards and all that stuff and take place in the modern, real world.

When your entire story is based off of competing gods, dark magic, voodoo, robot ninja assassins, time travel, etc, I think going real-world is about the worst thing you can do to a property. At that point, why even call it Mortal Kombat?

Couscous wrote: »
    I would ask why they are making a new MK movie, but Hollywood is always willing to scoop up fairly average IPs past their prime to try and turn into huge hits.

So did you just wake up from a year long nap or something? Because MK had a big series reboot last year that wound up being very popular, and was critically acclaimed.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/04/23/namco-bandai-fuses-na-and-eu-operations/
    Last week, Namco Bandai issued both North America and Europe-focused announcements, usually simultaneously, from an event in Las Vegas. That event is indicative of future operations, as the company is merging its North American and European operations, with former Bandai America CEO Mark Tsuji taking over as western CEO of all Namco Bandai.

"Over the last year we have been beginning our transformation of the overseas business, making sure that we are not only bringing East to West content but also sub-developing and bringing content from the West that can propagate to the East," Namco Bandai VP of marketing Carlson Choi told MCV. "In Japan for the fiscal year, Namco Bandai achieved 24 per cent market share. That shows impressive leadership. And we are asking: how do we transfer that leadership position across Europe and the States?"

Among the games shown off last week was just such a Western-originated game: Digital Extremes' Star Trek.
    Makes sense, I get.

It's supposed to be gritty and violent, but not set in the real world like the original pitch was. It's going to basically be a bigger budget version of the MK Webseries which was released alongside the new MK (which I liked). The original pitch had a bunch of weird shit like Baraka being a mad scientist who sews knives into his arms. Stuff like that. It was going to do away with magic, and wizards and all that stuff and take place in the modern, real world.

When your entire story is based off of competing gods, dark magic, voodoo, robot ninja assassins, time travel, etc, I think going real-world is about the worst thing you can do to a property. At that point, why even call it Mortal Kombat?
    Why call Battleship Battleship when it has jack shit to do with the board game other than having Battleships? They are banking on people feeling familiar with it just because of the name even if it has almost nothing to do with it in reality.

So did you just wake up from a year long nap or something? Because MK had a big series reboot last year that wound up being very popular, and was critically acclaimed.

Three million copies sold isn't that big nowadays.

Why call Battleship Battleship when it has jack shit to do with the board game other than having Battleships? They are banking on people feeling familiar with it just because of the name even if it has almost nothing to do with it in reality.

That's kinda my point. They're just abusing the name, which ruins the brand in the long run. Those who are going to see the movie based on the name, are likely familiar with the games to begin with and wouldn't necessarily want the changes proposed. Those who don't care about the game would go and see any movie, so who is even the target audience at this point?

You just had to remind me the Battleship movie exists. :(

At any rate, yet more Capcom DLC wackiness.
    Microsoft recently announced that it will bring shiny new “chrome” controllers to the Xbox 360 in May. Aside from their enhanced luster, the new controllers feature an improved D-pad. But in Japan they will also come with an unusual bonus: a coupon from Capcom for free Dragon’s Dogma downloadable content.

Downloadable content and the cost of videogames has been a hot topic as of late, with Japanese publisher Capcom’s habits of “adding value” to games drawing particular concern. In this case, the promotional coupon will give players access to eight additional quests. Those quests will be available to other customers at a later date for an unspecified price. The new controllers and Dragon’s Dogma launch simultaneously in Japan on May 24, while U.S. customers can get the controllers on May 15 and the game on the 22nd. No such bundle plans for the United States has been announced.

Capcom has been pushing Dragon’s Dogma hard since announcing the open-world RPG last spring, going so far as to offer a free demo of the hotly-anticipated Resident Evil 6 to sweeten the deal. A Dragon’s Dogma demo will be available to download on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 this week.

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/04/xbox-360-chrome-dragons-dogma-japan/

edited April 2012

ehhhh, those things are ancillary to what makes MK great. MK is great for having grand displays of violence between strange and powerful combatants. as long as it's the same general idea (dudes beat the loving fuck outta one another with a gory finisher) i'm sure it can't be worse than the 90's films. (i really liked that webseries).

i mean, you can still have those magic/voodoo things introduced later, it's not like they are going to rule them out. i have no problem with a more realistic take on things, since we already have a series of films that has told that story. i'm ready for something new, and maybe even this time mortal kombat: the movie: the game will be actually good

Local H Jay on

lol bullshit. That's the same amount SFIV sold. 3 million copies sold is a success.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    "Why call the product "Famous IP X" when the product has almost nothing to do with "Famous IP X"?"

The amount of games and movies that statement can be applied to is probably staggering.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

I really don't give a shit about it standing out, at least from a design perspective. All I want is for it to continue the storyline and be fun.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, that Battleship movie.

There's also a video game coming out based on the movie.

Apparently it's a FPS.

Yeah...

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    "Why call the product "Famous IP X" when the product has almost nothing to do with "Famous IP X"?"

The amount of games and movies that statement can be applied to is probably staggering.

The entire thinking behind Battleship is "people loved the Transformers movies, right? What other random toy can we movie-ize... Battleship? Perfect. Slap some of the unused Transformers effects on there and we're good to go."

At any rate, we're getting off-topic.
    Peter Molyneux, the prolific game designer responsible for Populous, Black & White, Fable and other household names recently left his "creative padded cell" at Microsoft and Lionhead Studios to found 22 Cans – a development house which Molyneux believes will create his greatest game to date.

Creating the best game of your carrer requires a little help, though, which is why Molyneux is in the process of filling the vacancies at 22 Cans. Unsurprisingly, there have been quite a few more applicants than available positions: "We've had just over 1,000 people apply for jobs at 22 Cans. That's pretty damn exciting. I'm working 16 hours-a-day just answering those emails," Molyneux said during an interview with Giant Bomb.

Don't get the wrong idea, Molyneux isn't complaining about his daily time investment. In fact, the designer sounds thrilled by the prospect of extensive hands-on work with a smaller team after his time at Microsoft/Lionhead.

"The first thing I did was clear out my diary of all reoccuring meetings that just happen as part of running a company of 200 people, and being part of Microsoft. I realized that 75% of my day was just doing nothing," he said. "Now, doing everything from answering emails to doing press stuff, to going and talking at universities and designing the games, it just feels fantastic to be that hands-on, it really does."

If you want to be part of that 1,000-plus pool of potential applicants, check out 22 Can's jobs site for more information about the six positions that remain open as of press time.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/04/21/molyneux-over-1-000-applicants-for-work-at-22-cans/

lol bullshit. That's the same amount SFIV sold. 3 million copies sold is a success.
    For a modern fighting game. A game can be a success and be fairly average compared to others. It isn't that uncommon for games to sell that much on just one console.

• HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

Uh, yeah. Aside from continuing the story, HL is known for having arguably the best atmosphere in all of first person shooters. Not just that, but the shooting and driving is always great fun, along with great characters and stuff like gravity gun puzzles and combat. The fundamentals are already so good that they don't really have to do much to make it stand out, aside from bring us into new environments with new weapons and new enemies.

edit: this probably establishes it better than a long post would

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZhnGQXWi1U

Heisenberg on
    ehhhh, those things are ancillary to what makes MK great. MK is great for having grand displays of violence between strange and powerful combatants. as long as it's the same general idea (dudes beat the loving fuck outta one another with a gory finisher) i'm sure it can't be worse than the 90's films. (i really liked that webseries).

No, there are several people who are really, really into the MK storyline. It's a big part of why I think the series is so awesome.

No, there are several people who are really, really into the MK storyline. It's a big part of why I think the series is so awesome.
    i'm not gonna internet slapfight aboot it, just saying that the extremely long and convoluted story in MK could use a reboot by now. it's cool there's a long history there but even as a fan of the games i don't care about it at all, as it's a framing device to let me punch robot ninjas. if there's one franchise i don't mind getting gritty and realistic, it's this one.

• LegendofLinkLegendofLink Registered User regular
    I have to agree that there really hasn't been anything quite like Half-Life 2 since Half-Life 2. Bioshock is close, but it's a spiritual successor to System Shock, not Half-Life, and the two series runs on much different environments and themes.

Also, from what info I've seen on that Battleship tie-in game, it actually has potential. It isn't locked into the plot of the movie, and is looking to incorporate the fact that you have fire support from the titular battleships as a gameplay mechanic, allowing you to essentially switch between FPS mode and RTS mode. Sure, it could still suck, but I wouldn't write it off just yet.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

i'm not gonna internet slapfight aboot it, just saying that the extremely long and convoluted story in MK could use a reboot by now. it's cool there's a long history there but even as a fan of the games i don't care about it at all, as it's a framing device to let me punch robot ninjas. if there's one franchise i don't mind getting gritty and realistic, it's this one.

....Mortal Kombat DID receive a reboot (of sorts) via one of the most well done campaign I've ever seen in a fighting game.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

That's kinda my point. They're just abusing the name, which ruins the brand in the long run. Those who are going to see the movie based on the name, are likely familiar with the games to begin with and wouldn't necessarily want the changes proposed. Those who don't care about the game would go and see any movie, so who is even the target audience at this point?

I am looking forward to them making a board game based on this movie, that gets an iOS/XBLA version of it, that gets optioned for a movie.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular

Uh, yeah. Aside from continuing the story, HL is known for having arguably the best atmosphere in all of first person shooters. Not just that, but the shooting and driving is always great fun, along with great characters and stuff like gravity gun puzzles and combat. The fundamentals are already so good that they don't really have to do much to make it stand out, aside from bring us into new environments with new weapons and new enemies.

edit: this probably establishes it better than a long post would

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZhnGQXWi1U

That's it, booting up The Orange Box tonight.

Am I a terrible person for opting for playing it on my Xbox 360 even though I have the OS X version readily available to me?

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    i loved MK9's story, it was awesome. but even for a movie it would be pretty crazy to have time travel and that jazz going on. there were 3 movies that basically told the story you want told again. i'm saying i'm okay with a new take on it because i've heard that story a billion times.

though a movie based on johnny cage's life would be even better

• Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular

From a certain angle, this sentence is the single most depressing thing about this industry.

• joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Dac Vin wrote: »

From a certain angle, this sentence is the single most depressing thing about this industry.

3,000,000 x 60 = 180,000,000

When is 180 million not enough back?

joshgotro on
  • AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    By the way the Battleship movie opened huge in Europe over the weekend, #1 in the majority of the 50 countries it debuted in, 130+ million dollars. It doesn't even come out in the US until the end of May.

So yeah, sequel incoming!

• RobesRobes Registered User regular
    On the theme of movies that rape everything we loved as kids. Dragon Ball 2: Reborn is still being made. In case you don't remember, it is the sequel to the summer box office blockbuster, Dragon Ball Evolution.

"Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
    joshgotro wrote: »

When it's got expectations the size of Star Wars or Battlefield. Not sure about MK, though.

Also, what's up with Europeans getting movies early nowadays? It used to be they got them later, but Battleship and Avengers opened early there. And that's just the ones I know about.

• joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular

When it's got expectations the size of Star Wars or Battlefield. Not sure about MK, though.

Also, what's up with Europeans getting movies early nowadays? It used to be they got them later, but Battleship and Avengers opened early there. And that's just the ones I know about.

I know next to nothing about production costs of video games. Does 180 million seem high for MK?

• TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I don't get where the whole "MK9 selling 3 million is not a success" thing is coming from.

I know next to nothing about production costs of video games. Does 180 million seem high for MK?

Well, it's not just production costs -- there's manufacturing, marketing, and such.

Still, unless I'm missing something major, I'd say 3 million for MK suits WB just fine.

Oh, I found out why Battleship and Avengers are opening early in Europe: soccer.

http://www.vulture.com/2012/04/why-did-battleship-open-a-month-early-in-europe.html

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Turkey wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't get where the whole "MK9 selling 3 million is not a success" thing is coming from.

I would say that 3 mil for a fighting game is pretty big.

Especially since fighting games aren't as budget intensive as most other genres.

edited April 2012
    Hollywood still hasn't begun exploiting social games like Farmville. You know Zynga would have absolutely no problem with it.

Now that I think about it, I haven't seen as much Zynga merchandise as Angry Birds merchandise.

Couscous on
This discussion has been closed.