As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

a

• AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    I've been very pleased with LogMeIn on iPad.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I have great luck with LogMeIn. I regularly connect to a Mac and a PC with it. Screens is also very nice. Better looking, and a little more "slick" but not as foolproof and reliable as LogMeIn.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • ueanuean Registered User regular
    I use Logmein. I prefer teamviewer from desktop to desktop but never tried the i-app. Has anyone else?

Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    uean wrote: »
    I use Logmein. I prefer teamviewer from desktop to desktop but never tried the i-app. Has anyone else?

I use the iOS Teamviewer app sometimes, because I already was using Teamviewer to connect my netbook to my home computer. It works ok, even on 3G; haven't tried any of the other ones for comparison tho.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Odd question. I have a jailbroken 4s. Can I plug it into my PC and use it as a bluetooth receiver for my PC?

• Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    Got an iPad for my birthday today.

This screen... My God is it amazing.

XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Blargh. Really wish the iPhone had call blocking abilities that don't require jailbreaking.

Ugly hack: make contact from marketing scum, assign them a ringtone that's 30 seconds of silence.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Blargh. Really wish the iPhone had call blocking abilities that don't require jailbreaking.

Ugly hack: make contact from marketing scum, assign them a ringtone that's 30 seconds of silence.

I've never found any blocking techniques to be worthwhile because, at least for me, the marketing/scammer calls always have different numbers. Or, they'll stop using one number and move on to a new one every few days, anyway.

"HELLO! This is Rachel from cardholder services. There is nothing wrong with your account. I'm just calling to show you haw you can lower your interest rate by half!"

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • technicaltechnical Registered User regular
    Just got my BOOKback and put it on last night. Im really, really liking it. Nice minimalistic look and gives the back a great texture while holding. I no longer feel like it's gonna slip outta my hands.

3DS FC: 3050-8986-0512

PSN: technical_ta
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Played with one of the new iPads at the Apple store for the first time. Screen looks gorgeous, and it just feels good holding one. I'm not entirely sold on its ability to take notes in class though (it would replace my netbook). It wasn't the best of testing conditions, and I'm sure using my BT keyboard would help.

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    You could also get a stylus and handwrite them! Penultimate is very speedy. Virtually no lag.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    You could also get a stylus and handwrite them! Penultimate is very speedy. Virtually no lag.

seconding penultimate.

Penultimate is really, REALLY good at being a virtual notebook. And there are lots of excellent stylus options out there.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    eh, as bad as my touchscreen typing would be initially, my handwriting is extremely slow and messy.

• IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    So I ended up getting Splashtop for remote desktop access. I used it to play the Diablo 3 open beta over the weekend on my iPad. It was across the internet so was laggy at times but it was playable. Pretty friggin cool though.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Incindium wrote: »
    So I ended up getting Splashtop for remote desktop access. I used it to play the Diablo 3 open beta over the weekend on my iPad. It was across the internet so was laggy at times but it was playable. Pretty friggin cool though.

Yeah. Works really well for turn-based games where playing through very sub-optimal interface isn't as much of an issue. SplashTop is nice for this because I don't think RDP will draw games. I've tried before and it was just a black screen.

Sarksus on
  • Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    Man, I love Clear. That's all.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I'll probably be getting an iphone soon for a job that has some car-travel, can anyone recommend a decently affordable/free GPS navigation app that works well? If the iPhone is a decent GPS alternative, that is.

Darlan on
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Try the built in one first?

Hmm, my mistake, I thought it only came with a map-quest-ish maps app that didn't have "turn here" navigation stuff.

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    yes i like mine similarly as well

is pretty and feels nice and when i reapplied mine it left no residue
    Darlan wrote: »
    Hmm, my mistake, I thought it only came with a map-quest-ish maps app that didn't have "turn here" navigation stuff.
    correct

try GPS drive by MotionX

is 99 cents or something, has worked well in my experience

poo
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Seconding Drive by MotionX. Great GPS program, and it's 99 cents. I think for a voice turn-by-turn subscription it's like $7.99 a year. You could use it for 5 years, and it's still cheaper than some of the larger GPS programs on the app store, specifically Navigon.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    That does sound good, thank you.

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I've been happy with Waze for the few times I've needed directions somewhere. The voice quality for the turn-by-turn isn't particularly good but the app is free.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
    My wife uses Waze, and for the price, it's fine, but for 99 cents + 7.99, MotionX is leagues better with different voice pallets and such. If you don't want to spend a red cent, Waze is good...if you want something a little better, but don't want to pay Navigons stupid prices, MotionX fills that gap nicely.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    I got Navigon when it was on sale, I think it was $25 for US roads. No reason not to try out the cheap/free ones first, but I haven't regretted buying it. They recently did a big update so you don't have to keep the whole thing on your phone; you can just download the states you drive in. I really like that it tells you what lanes you can be in, the older GPS units I had used before didn't do that.

edited April 2012
    MotionX has the real time traffic/construction/lane closure thing like Navigon does. It's part of the real-time voice sub.

(Or do you mean it tells you "to take this exit, you need to be in the center lane"? Because MotionX does that too).

GnomeTank on
    I meant the second one. So yeah, try out the cheap/free apps first.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    I've been using NavFree which uses community generated map data and is free/ad supported with no sub.
    The data has been pretty accurate and comprehensive in the UK so far though.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    My wife uses Waze, and for the price, it's fine, but for 99 cents + 7.99, MotionX is leagues better with different voice pallets and such. If you don't want to spend a red cent, Waze is good...if you want something a little better, but don't want to pay Navigons stupid prices, MotionX fills that gap nicely.

Yeah, Waze is decent but it's a far cry from Google Maps which was my goto since I had an Android Phone. GPS is the one thing I liked better about Android, but if MotionX is much better than Waze but not as expensive as Navigon I'll have to give it a try.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    I've recently come in to a bit of money and I am totally torn on buying a new iPad or a new Macbook Air. I'm using an iPad 1 and a 2008 pre-unibody white Macbook. Both are due for an update, but updating both at the same time would be way too much money.

I use my iPad far more than my Mac, but based on their respective ages I think my iPad has more life left in in than my Mac does. But an iPad is almost a third of the price of an Air. And with the rumours of retina display Airs, if I bought one now and then retina ones came out next year I'd be kicking myself. I could put an SSD into my Macbook and probably squeeze another year out of it, but if it dies, I'm boned.

This is a tough decision.

• BullioBullio Registered User regular
    elevature wrote: »
    I've recently come in to a bit of money and I am totally torn on buying a new iPad or a new Macbook Air. I'm using an iPad 1 and a 2008 pre-unibody white Macbook. Both are due for an update, but updating both at the same time would be way too much money.

I use my iPad far more than my Mac, but based on their respective ages I think my iPad has more life left in in than my Mac does. But an iPad is almost a third of the price of an Air. And with the rumours of retina display Airs, if I bought one now and then retina ones came out next year I'd be kicking myself. I could put an SSD into my Macbook and probably squeeze another year out of it, but if it dies, I'm boned.

This is a tough decision.

I'd wait if you're considering a Macbook, especially considering the rumor that Apple is refreshing the whole Macbook line this year. Unless you need a 17" Pro for some reason.

steam_sig.png
    What do you actually use your air for? Is there stuff you do on that which you simply can't do on the iPad?

I know since I got my iPad, my laptop just collects dust...what I was using my laptop for, in 99% of cases, the iPad works equally well or better.

edited April 2012
    My MacBook now is basically a media server. Holds my iTunes library and streams stuff to my Apple TV and Airport Express. And occasionally I do need to do a lot of typing, like I was recently job hunting and I couldn't send out loads of applications on my iPad. But otherwise I use my iPad for everything. Which is why I'm leaning towards getting the iPad, but I definitely need a computer and I'm worried that my Mac doesn't have much life left in it. But I suppose I can worry about that when I have to.

elevature on
    edited April 2012
    elevature wrote: »
    My MacBook now is basically a media server. Holds my iTunes library and streams stuff to my Apple TV and Airport Express. And occasionally I do need to do a lot of typing, like I was recently job hunting and I couldn't send out loads of applications on my iPad. But otherwise I use my iPad for everything. Which is why I'm leaning towards getting the iPad, but I definitely need a computer and I'm worried that my Mac doesn't have much life left in it. But I suppose I can worry about that when I have to.

Can't you just replace the air with a MacMini when it finally goes? If it's just a media server and document editor, a small MacMini in the corner should do the trick perfectly.

GnomeTank on
    I have been thinking about a mini. I could get a mini and an iPad for the same price as an air. I think that with rumours of retina displays and MacBook Pros with the Air form factor it makes sense to at least hold off till WWDC and maybe even until next year.

• ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    On the side of the Air here, I friggin LOVE my Air. I mean, I don't have an iPad to compare it to, but as far as pretty much every other computer I own, I use my Air the most.

Then again, I'm also a programmer, so I mean I kind of need a full-bore computer somewhere in my lineup.

Imperfect wrote: »
    On the side of the Air here, I friggin LOVE my Air. I mean, I don't have an iPad to compare it to, but as far as pretty much every other computer I own, I use my Air the most.

Then again, I'm also a programmer, so I mean I kind of need a full-bore computer somewhere in my lineup.

Programming is what my PC is for. Well, that and games.

My iPad is my web surfing, video watching, recipe and instruction looker upping, pretty gets carried around the house with me'ing, device.

• floobiefloobie Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    If an iPad can handle your mobile computing needs adequately, I don't see the point of supplementing it with a laptop.

Going by that assumption, I'd do this:

- Grab a new iPad.
    - Get a Mac mini.
    - Keep your Macbook, should you ever need a laptop to take somewhere.

floobie on
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Addendum; use desktop viewing software to run your Mini from your new iPad?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    ^ I actually have played games this way. I was playing Diablo 3 from my iPad the other day, after someone in the D3 thread suggested it. It was laggy, and barely playable, but was still fun and cool to be able to play D3 from my iPad while watching TV.