As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Diablo 3] Diablo walks the Earth in 5 days. Single digits omg

• Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    I too like the new loot system, aside from gold pick ups. Kinda wish gold drops could be picked up by anyone and applied to everyone.

• Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    g
    What

no no

I mean like

I'm annoyed that I'm forced to slap a weapon on myself. It would be fun to find "corpse spiders + 3" or whatever, finding "BIG CLUB +100" and being like oh well guess I'm getting a big old silly club for a few levels is annoying.

I'd love everyone to be like the DH. OR for weapon attacks to work like D2 so it didn't seem so silly.

I disagree, I got tired of EVERYTHING being about +skills in D2, that's the only stat that really mattered after you hit a few caps like max blocking or whatever. The fact that getting a weapon that does more damage actually matters to every class is nice. Sure it doesn't 'make sense' but neither did having a helmet that made you better at casting fireball which also made someone else better at raising a corpse or turning into a bear.

What bothers me is the disconnect between what's supposed to be happening conceptually, what we're seeing on screen, and what's happening mechanically.

I'm actually fine with, say, magic missile being based on weapon damage. The wizard swings the sword, a magic missile flies off the end. Obviously, magic like that has a physical component, and the weapon serves as a focus. That's great- conceptual, mechanical, and visual all line up nicely.

A skill like Impale is different. You're throwing a dagger, that's great. Why does having a better bow make you throw a dagger harder? The conceptual and the visual don't line up with the mechanical.

The monk and the witch doctor suffer the most from this, because most of their skills just make their weapons teleport out of their hands. Why can't we have punch and kick damage based off of boots and gloves, like the Assassin from D2?

This I probably all a result of how they were still making drastic changes to the mechanics years after they made the character concepts. And I don't really see a way around it now, since there's no time to go back and redo all the skill animations that don't match the new mechanics.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    It's been discussed by the Blizz devs before. They would have to do an insane amount of animation variations if they were to include those in the casting animations for the monk and witch doctor. Me, I'd rather not wait another year.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Obviously there is a bit of disconnect there, but I think the good outweigh the bad. I don't need separate items for bows/knifes/grenades/rockets/sentry turrets/bags of caltrops/Chakrams for my demon hunter.

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    lu tzelu tze Sweeping the monestary steps.Registered User regular
    tuxkamen wrote: »
    However, are you saying that the melee classes can just hover over targets with the mouse button held down and terrible, terrible damage will occur? I didn't try that except perhaps by accident, and that would make life a lot easier.
    Yes.

You never noticed before? Are you new to Diablo?

You don't even have to hover over a target, just hold shift and your attack button and your character will swing away regardless.

World's best janitor
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    The reason Blizzard can't just put in jar weapons that boost your corpse spider skill is because it would be completely insane of them to itemize 18 tiers of glass jars, plus legendaries, including different art for each one, that only a WD can use that only boosts a single skill, for the purpose of relieving some mild annoyance about if a Witch Doctor conceptually should be using an axe.

Weapons are less involved in some skill animations in exchange for more elaborate and varied animations. Would Blow Dart make any more sense if the WD stabbed his dagger at the air in front of him and three poison blowdarts inexplicably shot out of his face?

Scosglen on
  • Options
    SensationalSensational Registered User regular
    Good luck to anyone playing demon hunter as their first, praying for that good xbow to drop while everyone else is crafting awesome new melee weapons every few levels.

• Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    lu tze wrote: »
    However, are you saying that the melee classes can just hover over targets with the mouse button held down and terrible, terrible damage will occur? I didn't try that except perhaps by accident, and that would make life a lot easier.
    Yes.

You don't even have to hover over a target, just hold shift and your attack button and your character will swing away regardless.

I haven't played a Diablo melee class in quite a while.

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Hey, I hear that. I used to avoid them like the plague myself... mostly because I play hardcore and Iron Maiden can go fuck itself.

They took that out the latest builds of D2 though.

lu tze on
    World's best janitor
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    lu tze wrote: »
    Yes.

I haven't played a Diablo melee class in quite a while.

Melee? Shift-Attacking was invaluable to ranged classes in D2.

With Shift-click: Whelp, that meteor is totally going to fall right into that pack of monsters.
    Without Shift-click: OH GOD WHY ARE YOU RUNNING INTO THAT PACK OF MONSTER FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

• Options
    Shift is the best Diablo button.

Alt is a close second though.

World's best janitor
  • Options
    Good luck to anyone playing demon hunter as their first, praying for that good xbow to drop while everyone else is crafting awesome new melee weapons every few levels.

The fence reliably sells hand crossbows with 16dps that will turn you into a killing machine for a few thousand gold.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    I'm sure it was a bit of conundrum for them. You give a monk a Blazing Morning star of Death that he just got from a boss. But it doesn't show up on his character cause in all honesty, he's just gonna be punching and kicking duders. Compromise? Let him show off his mighty weapon even though he won't actually be using it.

The monk was the only one where it felt really really out of place to me. The WD you're kind of doing other stuff and casting is kind of its own thing. But the monk, you are hitting them.. with the fists which were just holding powerful glowing axes.

Did it ruin my enjoyment of either class. Nope. Do I think it was odd and out of place? Yeah, a little.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    It's a situation where the design benefit of having a unified mechanism for skill damage that makes everyone care about weapons equally is just way too valuable to fuck with for the sake of conceptual agreement. People need to understand that animating 3-5 weapon specific variations of every single attack skill in the monk's arsenal was most likely never really on the table. To fix the disparity here they would have had to just make all the monk animations very simplistic so that any weapon can fit ("basic attack" animations with particle effects), and frankly it would destroy the feeling of the class. Monk feels good because how how specific and hand-crafted those attack animations are. The solution they settled on allows players to still be able to see their shiny new weapons and show them off, while also letting the monks retain their carefully animated fighting kata.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    ThisThis Registered User regular
    I have a hardware question. My computer is a few years old, and it is capable of running D3 but it doesn't look too great. I'm wondering if I can do a cheap upgrade (like video card/RAM) without a complete overhaul, that will make a difference.

Here's what I have:
    Intel Core 2 Duo 1.86 Ghz
    2 Gigs of RAM
    Nvidia GeForce 7900 GS

Any hardware smart people on here that could suggest where my best bet would be in terms of performace:dollars? In the beta I could get decent performance out of running at the lowest 16:10 resolution with minimized graphics settings. With vsync on, I would be at 60fps while walking through empty hallways and 30fps during combat.

If I were to upgrade the video card, would it matter? Or do I have a processor and/or RAM bottleneck?

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Scosglen wrote: »

The fence reliably sells hand crossbows with 16dps that will turn you into a killing machine for a few thousand gold.
    Well, your first character also isn't going to have thousands of gold to blow for a while. By then you might have finally gotten a decent xbow drop anyway.

• Options
    TorgaironTorgairon Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/artisan/blacksmith/progression/#level=2

20% xp, looks like a solid crafted xbow to me

edit: ranged definitely looks a little more sparse than your melee options as you continue to progress, but it's not absolutely ignored, I guess you just have to supplement with solid drops/vendor usage.

Torgairon on
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Torgairon wrote: »

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/artisan/blacksmith/progression/#level=2

20% xp, looks like a solid crafted xbow to me

Required level : 14

But yeah you can buy an okay xbow from the merchant if one doesn't drop for ya. I got a bunch in my beta run after level 6-7, but before then kinda sucked.

• Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    I like the monk's unarmed attacks, but I feel like there has to be a more elegant solution. Even if making gloves/boots more important than weapons isn't feasible, there's no reason not to simply add a command to sheath one's weapons until and unless they're needed for an animation.

• Options
    renixinqrenixinq Registered User regular
    This wrote: »
    I have a hardware question. My computer is a few years old, and it is capable of running D3 but it doesn't look too great. I'm wondering if I can do a cheap upgrade (like video card/RAM) without a complete overhaul, that will make a difference.

Here's what I have:
    Intel Core 2 Duo 1.86 Ghz
    2 Gigs of RAM
    Nvidia GeForce 7900 GS

Any hardware smart people on here that could suggest where my best bet would be in terms of performace:dollars? In the beta I could get decent performance out of running at the lowest 16:10 resolution with minimized graphics settings. With vsync on, I would be at 60fps while walking through empty hallways and 30fps during combat.

If I were to upgrade the video card, would it matter? Or do I have a processor and/or RAM bottleneck?

Video card would help a bunch and another 2GB of RAM would be good too. Assuming you have PCIE (which I think you would on that rig but there are AGP 7900s) you can get a good GPU upgrade for under 100 I would think. Something along the lines of a 6670 to a 6770 in AMD or a 550ti in nVidia. RAM would run you another 40 for 2GB of DDR2. That said you would probably swing a refresh of CPU/MOBO/RAM/GPU for under 400 that would blow it out of the water. Just depends on budget.

Diablo 3:renixinq#1812
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    So first run through, people gonna be playing solo or as a party?

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    Houn wrote: »

Melee? Shift-Attacking was invaluable to ranged classes in D2.

With Shift-click: Whelp, that meteor is totally going to fall right into that pack of monsters.
    Without Shift-click: OH GOD WHY ARE YOU RUNNING INTO THAT PACK OF MONSTER FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I don't recall it being strictly necessary to my necromancer or sorceress, but that was probably due to the trees I was using.

Different topic: Anyone aware of any $10-off promotions? I missed the Newegg preorder deal and am casting about for another.

Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
  • Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    Later game weapons will most likely have + skill affixes.

I think you're stuck in a D2 mentality. There are no skill/rune levels, so how would an item add to a skill? Binding a weapon to a skill or rune is a terrible idea, IMO. I'd much rather have stats beneficial to my class so that I'm free to choose whatever skill/rune combos I want.

• Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    El Guaco wrote: »

I think you're stuck in a D2 mentality. There are no skill/rune levels, so how would an item add to a skill? Binding a weapon to a skill or rune is a terrible idea, IMO. I'd much rather have stats beneficial to my class so that I'm free to choose whatever skill/rune combos I want.
    There are skill levels, you just don't see them.

And I'm talking datamined stuff here, as well as logical thinking when faced with runed skills that are only 1/5th as powerful as their old level 7 counterparts.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    SkabSkab Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    El Guaco wrote: »

Skill affixes have been known/confirmed for a little while now.

The general understanding is that they act how the different ranks of runes used too. (when runes were still drops)

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Barbarian passive skill Relentless + Weapon Throw rune Dread Bomb.

Relentless makes your skills cost no Fury while below 20% health, while Dread Bomb expends all remaining fury to deal 3% * (each point of remaining fury) damage to targets within 12 yards of the point of impact.

This probably won't work like I think it might, but I can dream

• Options
    Relentless sounds like an awful passive for Hardcore.

• Options
    Tarantio wrote: »
    I like the monk's unarmed attacks, but I feel like there has to be a more elegant solution. Even if making gloves/boots more important than weapons isn't feasible, there's no reason not to simply add a command to sheath one's weapons until and unless they're needed for an animation.
    Maybe a show/hide weapons interface option would be a good middle ground for both sides -- like WoW's show/hide helmet and cloak options.

• Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »

Well, your first character also isn't going to have thousands of gold to blow for a while. By then you might have finally gotten a decent xbow drop anyway.

I don't know, I made plenty of gold to blow on stuff during the beta.

• Options
    SkabSkab Registered User regular
    mrflippy wrote: »

recently? after they jacked the price up on everything, i never seemed to have enough.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I think I did prefer the tomes of training system for leveling my blacksmith. If only because it made Pages of Training some of the most exciting drops.

• Options
    Skab wrote: »

recently? after they jacked the price up on everything, i never seemed to have enough.

Well, recently as in the weekend beta. I had no problems at all scrounging up a few thousand gold to buy stuff at the fence. Maybe they reduced prices dramatically for the weekend beta? I don't know.

• Options
    edited April 2012

On your first character? On the first play through?
    captaink wrote: »
    I think I did prefer the tomes of training system for leveling my blacksmith. If only because it made Pages of Training some of the most exciting drops.
    Well they supposedly still exist in Nightmare+, so you can celebrate.

forty on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    The reason Blizzard can't just put in jar weapons that boost your corpse spider skill is because it would be completely insane of them to itemize 18 tiers of glass jars, plus legendaries, including different art for each one, that only a WD can use that only boosts a single skill, for the purpose of relieving some mild annoyance about if a Witch Doctor conceptually should be using an axe.

Weapons are less involved in some skill animations in exchange for more elaborate and varied animations. Would Blow Dart make any more sense if the WD stabbed his dagger at the air in front of him and three poison blowdarts inexplicably shot out of his face?

This is basically how I feel.

My head starts to hurt when people start talking about conceptual consistency in a game with wizards, demons and magic. Characters could bend over and shoot magic fire from their ass, and as far as I'm concerned, that's as internally consistent as anything else in a fantasy world.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options

captaink wrote: »
    Well they supposedly still exist in Nightmare+, so you can celebrate.

Doing it as monk and deliberately blowing through the last couple of cathedral levels without 100%ing, I believe I ended up with about 11-12K total gold (since I sank into four or five crafting upgrades for giggles.) I don't know whether you consider that 'a lot' or not, but it's certainly enough to buy a full set of (lousy) fence items if you thought it was necessary.

• Options

Maybe I'm just used to saving and spending gold in diablo games, but I had enough gold on my first play through to buy more than 2 rings and a few other things, and I upgraded the crafter a few times as well. I mean, I definitely didn't have enough money to buy a weapon at level 2 or 3 or whatever.

• Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    This game pulls down my pants and taunts me.

I was a pretty casual D1/D2 player, but after eight hours of free play on Sunday, I'm primed for the release.

• Options
    SensationalSensational Registered User regular

Right, which is just like in D2 where you can pick up a weapon from a vendor if nothing is dropping. Then by act4 if your luck doesn't improve things become very slow with vendor stuff and downright painful in act5. I played through D2 normal from scratch a few weeks ago with amazon and getting everything but that good weapon is a huge deal. Remains to be seen if D3 follows the same curve.

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I'm struck by how different the classes felt to me. The Wizard consistently annoyed me up through level eleven despite my enjoyment of the concept, while the Demon Hunter's combination of traps, mobility and dakka had me grinning.

Maybe I'll like Wizzie more with electrocute. Perhaps it just isn't for me.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    The beta is gone.

I feel so cold. it's going to be a rough couple of weeks.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
This discussion has been closed.