As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Airbender] The legend of Korra: I am the solution.

• TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Bagginses wrote: »
    I'll also give one very suggestive fact (if memory holds): Katara's grandmother was a highly powerful and/or skilled bender. Katara was a highly powerful and/or naturally skilled bender.

I'm willing to be wrong here, but as I recall it, Katara's grandmother wasn't a bender. The northern water tribe seems to have more benders in general (though the southern tribes may have simply suffered more attrition), and so it's possible she remembered some of the teachings and passed them along. Maybe I'll toss the first season into netflix and re-watch the last few episodes.

edit: I love Iroh so much. They need someone like him on the new show!

Tamin on
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    We found out that the Fire Nation had been raiding the Southern Tribes and taking any water benders they could, to be sent to that dry prison place. Katara's mother pretended to be the last water bender in her village to protect Katara and was killed for it, so it seems logical that gram grams wasn't a bender since she survived, but I don't recall if it was ever specifically stated.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • The_TuninatorThe_Tuninator Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    EvilOtaku wrote: »
    De-bending everyone can't be Amon's ultimate goal. It makes no sense. Not only would it completely shut down the economy, their entire society is built on using benders for the manual labor. Do they even have the infrastructure to survive without benders.

Also, never underestimate the power of Pro Bending. Once people realize that Amon is going take that away, god help him.

Why can't it be his ultimate goal? He's a fanatic; he doesn't need to have a sensible or practical plan.

That's not to say that it absolutely is his ultimate goal, but applying rationality to fanaticism is a mistake.

I'll also give one very suggestive fact (if memory holds): Katara's grandmother was a highly powerful and/or skilled bender. Katara was a highly powerful and/or naturally skilled bender.

Was Katara's grandmother a bender? I thought she was a normal woman.

The_Tuninator on
  • KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »
    So far I think the most likely explanation of Amon's power is that he was a student of Aang's. Perhaps Aang tried to spiritbend him into an Airbender and something screwed up, or perhaps he was trained specifically to handle another Ozai situation.

If that was the case, Tenzin would know about him.

I can't see Aang trying to Energybend people into Airbenders; it just doesn't seem like something he'd do.

It's logical Tenzin is keeping (or kept) Amon's presence a secret from Korra. Which is a wise choice given that she's very impulsive, inexperienced and naive in how the world works. Perhaps he planned to reveal what he knows to her once she was in her peak with the abilities to shut him down properly. That's why he wanted her to keep out of Republic City until after he trained her in Air Bending.

This would also set the stage for a Kenobi-style "from a certain point of view" speech from Tenzin. And he could even do a Yoda "unfortunate that you rushed off to face him, that incomplete was your Avatar training" speech right afterwards.

"Well, lying is lying, even from a 'certain point of view.'" - Jedi Exile
    Here's what we know about bending heredity:
    It is not dominant
    It is closely tied to parental nationality
    It is not mitochondrial
    It is not X-linked
    It sure as hell isn't y-linked
    It can run in families
    Raw power when bending is present can run in families
    Power can vary between siblings
    Skill can run in families and vary between siblings
    Training and disposition can increase skill and possibly power
    Large numbers of people can have small scale power in cultures where bending is stressed and likely institutionally trained, even if the culture is confirmed by word of god to have reduced bending receptivity.

They did say in "The Last Airbender" that humans learned bending. Air bending was learned from flying bisons. Earth bending was learned from badger moles. Fire bending was learned from dragons. Water bending was learned from how the moon changes the tides.

So something must have changed since the ancient days to now if bending was an acquired skill back then but is inherited in the present day.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Don't forget that while Katara was a waterbender, her brother Sokka wasn't. Given his determination to learn swordfighing paid off you'd think that if bending were simply a matter of really, really wanting to do it, Sokka would have. But he didn't. Also, there's no way Aang would have let one of his kids be a non-bender if he could help it.

...man, I hope the Space Sword shows back up.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    OK so I haven't read the thread because I want to avoid spoilers. I haven't seen saturdays episode and for some reason it won't work for me on nicks site, just get a perpetual swirl. Tried a couple different browsers, any idea what the problem might be?

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Also, there's no way Aang would have let one of his kids be a non-bender if he could help it.

No, Aang! Don't drown your non-bender newborn son in the river!

• TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Neaden wrote: »
    OK so I haven't read the thread because I want to avoid spoilers. I haven't seen saturdays episode and for some reason it won't work for me on nicks site, just get a perpetual swirl. Tried a couple different browsers, any idea what the problem might be?

Flash, maybe.

Clear cache & cookies, update flash, restart computer.

No promises!

• HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    I assume bending is like channeling. If you are born with it, you will start doing it subconsciously.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
    Tamin wrote: »

Flash, maybe.

No promises!

Turn off ad-blocking software.

edited April 2012

Flash, maybe.

No promises!
    That didn't work, what is weird is that the clips on nicks sight will load and play just fine, but not the full episodes.
    edit:I don't think adblock isn't the problem the ads load fine for the clips.

Neaden on
  • KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Didn't Ty Lee go off with the Kiyoshi warriors at the end of TLA? I thought that's where she ended up. So we have Sokka, Ty Lee and Suki going off to be crazy non-bending fighters. Perhaps they set up a school once things settled down?

Flash, maybe.

No promises!
    That didn't work, what is weird is that the clips on nicks sight will load and play just fine, but not the full episodes.

Hmmm, do you live in North America?

edited April 2012
    emnmnme wrote: »

Flash, maybe.

No promises!

Yep, I'm watching it on my laptop now though and that is working.
    Edit: Ok caught up with the thread. I agree that a problem is so far we haven't seen any nonbender oppression really. Right now there are only 3 jobs that we have seen that require you to be a bender, a certain type of cop and doing a specific job in a power plant and being a probender. We've seen that two important people are benders, Tenzin and Chief Bei Fong but we also know that
    Sato is going to be introduced into the show and I believe he has been confirmed as a nonbender and the richest man in republic city.
    so it doesn't really seem like being a bender is some huge economic advantage. The whole equality of opportunity thing doesn't make sense either because by that logic we would give really smart people lobotomies.

Neaden on
  • AurichAurich ArizonaRegistered User regular
    Sokka never wanted to be a bender though. He thought bending was neat, and occasionally wished he were more useful, but he also had an almost Han Solo attitude towards bending. It's that freaky thing his teammates do.

Not that I mean to imply you can be a bender if you want it bad enough. Really there's two possibilities: It was either a gradual spiritual attunement that occurred over several generations, or it was a more direct communion between the early peoples and agents of the spirit world. If it's the latter, and Amon really did commune with some spiritual agents, then things could get real interesting down the road.

• SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    The fact that everyone besides the avatar is limited to only one element implies that the rest of the population is limited even further.

The fact that everyone besides the avatar is limited to only one element implies that the rest of the population is limited even further.
    Well we know that there is a time before Benders and there are legends of the first people who learned they could bend an element, though we can't know how allegorical those stories are. I doubt any of this is ever going to get figured out for sure though, I don't think there is an "official" answer to these things.

I'm still hoping that Amon is Zuko.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

Flash, maybe.

No promises!

Edit: Ok caught up with the thread. I agree that a problem is so far we haven't seen any nonbender oppression really. Right now there are only 3 jobs that we have seen that require you to be a bender, a certain type of cop and doing a specific job in a power plant and being a probender. We've seen that two important people are benders, Tenzin and Chief Bei Fong but we also know that
    Sato is going to be introduced into the show and I believe he has been confirmed as a nonbender and the richest man in republic city.
    so it doesn't really seem like being a bender is some huge economic advantage. The whole equality of opportunity thing doesn't make sense either because by that logic we would give really smart people lobotomies.
    Sato = Amon's benefactor?

Flash, maybe.

No promises!

It is possible I suppose since we don't really know much about him but I doubt it since his daughter is going to be joining team avatar.

Flash, maybe.

No promises!

It is possible I suppose since we don't really know much about him but I doubt it since his daughter is going to be joining team avatar.
    His daughter joining Team Avatar doesn't mean her father can't be a bad guy.

• BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular

Flash, maybe.

No promises!

See also: Zuko

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
    Blackjack wrote: »

Flash, maybe.

No promises!

Well yes but there is nothing that we know about him that indicates that he would be an equalist, though it would be rather hilarious if he was a billionaire complaining about how those benders have it so good.

Flash, maybe.

No promises!

Well yes but there is nothing that we know about him that indicates that he would be an equalist, though it would be rather hilarious if he was a billionaire complaining about how those benders have it so good.
    It's possible that's his goal. Another is using the Equalists to tear down the government allowing him to seize power, either behind the scenes or directly. Republic City may be a test to see if anti-bender sentiment is potent enough to use on a national scale.

I think Amon is harvesting all the bending for himself.

edited April 2012

Flash, maybe.

No promises!

Do we have explicit confirmation that she's going Team Avatar?

I mean, I imagine she will since she's a) a probending fan and b) likely going to fund the Fire Ferrets, and I'd like her to be a good guy, but have they said so yet?

Also, what we've seen certainly is grounds for non-benders to be upset. Benders run the government, benders run the police, benders play a vital role in maintaining infrastructure, benders run the gangs and extort normals left and right. Hell, even pro sports requires bending ability.

Even if there's no actual oppression, benders play a heavily disproportionate role in Republic City society.

The_Tuninator on

Flash, maybe.

No promises!

It's possible that's his goal. Another is using the Equalists to tear down the government allowing him to seize power, either behind the scenes or directly. Republic City may be a test to see if anti-bender sentiment is potent enough to use on a national scale.
    The point is in a world with homeless people and billionaires acting like the main problem preventing equality is that Joe can get a job at the power plant that you can't do falls really obviously flat.

Flash, maybe.

No promises!

I mean, I imagine she will since she's a) a probending fan and b) likely going to fund the Fire Ferrets, and I'd like her to be a good guy, but have they said so yet?
    IIRC yes they have, I'll see if I can find where I read it later tonight.

• ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    So far I think the most likely explanation of Amon's power is that he was a student of Aang's. Perhaps Aang tried to spiritbend him into an Airbender and something screwed up, or perhaps he was trained specifically to handle another Ozai situation.

If that was the case, Tenzin would know about him.

I can't see Aang trying to Energybend people into Airbenders; it just doesn't seem like something he'd do.

It's logical Tenzin is keeping (or kept) Amon's presence a secret from Korra. Which is a wise choice given that she's very impulsive, inexperienced and naive in how the world works. Perhaps he planned to reveal what he knows to her once she was in her peak with the abilities to shut him down properly. That's why he wanted her to keep out of Republic City until after he trained her in Air Bending.

This would also set the stage for a Kenobi-style "from a certain point of view" speech from Tenzin. And he could even do a Yoda "unfortunate that you rushed off to face him, that incomplete was your Avatar training" speech right afterwards.

"Well, lying is lying, even from a 'certain point of view.'" - Jedi Exile
    Here's what we know about bending heredity:
    It is not dominant
    It is closely tied to parental nationality
    It is not mitochondrial
    It is not X-linked
    It sure as hell isn't y-linked
    It can run in families
    Raw power when bending is present can run in families
    Power can vary between siblings
    Skill can run in families and vary between siblings
    Training and disposition can increase skill and possibly power
    Large numbers of people can have small scale power in cultures where bending is stressed and likely institutionally trained, even if the culture is confirmed by word of god to have reduced bending receptivity.

They did say in "The Last Airbender" that humans learned bending. Air bending was learned from flying bisons. Earth bending was learned from badger moles. Fire bending was learned from dragons. Water bending was learned from how the moon changes the tides.

So something must have changed since the ancient days to now if bending was an acquired skill back then but is inherited in the present day.

Unless they just learned to use their innate ability to bend from natural sources.

I find all this speculation kinda silly, though.

JKKaAGp.png

Flash, maybe.

No promises!

IIRC yes they have, I'll see if I can find where I read it later tonight.
    Ah, nice! I have been hoping that she'd join the K-Team, as they absolutely need a non-bender perspective if the main story arc is going to be benders against non-benders.

Is there a clip of Pabu doing his little roar?

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    I would love a concrete description of how bending is inherited and how all the mechanics work

But on the other hand, I think handwaving it away as "Shuuuush its not important until it is and we want the freedom to break any ground rules we set" is almost better

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Also Amon as Bolin/Mako's father or relative is a theory I can get behind

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Arch wrote: »
    I would love a concrete description of how bending is inherited and how all the mechanics work

But on the other hand, I think handwaving it away as "Shuuuush its not important until it is and we want the freedom to break any ground rules we set" is almost better

I like that kind of attitude.

Always be skeptical. never accept "MAGIC!" as the explanation! :P

21stCentury on
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The only weird thing about bending that I remember is that I swear I remember somewhere mentioning that Sokka could have been a waterbender, but he either never realized it or just didn't bother.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • GlocjtGlocjt catstronaut in spaaace.Registered User regular

Midichlorians.
    Please don't hurt me.

• Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    I really like the original Avatar, but I can't find a place online to watch it ethically, and buying the DVDs would be really expensive. Nickelodeon just doesn't have it available for watching online?

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    ill be honest, korras delts are sexy as fuck

obF2Wuw.png
  • KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Netflix has it if you can spare $8. Other than that, I don't know.

• EvilOtakuEvilOtaku Registered User regular

I like that kind of attitude.

Always be skeptical. never accept "MAGIC!" as the explanation! :P

That's all well and good until midichlorians happens. Be careful what you wish for.

This discussion has been closed.