As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The War of Art: Vanguard kind of likes how Satan's asshole smells

• MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    double post. oops.

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
    edited April 2012
    Nax wrote: »
    I hate you Matrias cause those rhinos are so awesome
    That's impossible. Rhinos can't be awesome. They're rhinos.

Thank you, though. :)

Matrias on
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    A tiny bit more work done on my men-at-arms. I've been experimenting with different colors of leather/cloth. I'm working way outside of my comfort zone here but overall I think I'm as pleased as I'm going to be. I'm super happy with how the red quilting looks. I think I'm going to drop the black though and stick with browns and greens.

WIP-MaA%20back.png

Bonus front shot:

WIP-MaA%20front.png

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    mr_mich wrote: »
    That purple highlighting is making me drool.

Hey, I have to ask: your sigfile, the strangly dwarves - where's that from?

edit: I'm an idiot, should have sent PM.

Ugly Americans.

• DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Men at arms are looking nice

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I also paint from the pot
    But then I learned a pallet is good for certain paints but not all the time from someone else's bad habit

• zenpotatozenpotato Registered User regular
    Those men at arms are looking super slick. I love how the shields boldly bring them together as a unit, but each one looks like he's a singular person.

• TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    zenpotato wrote: »
    Those men at arms are looking super slick. I love how the shields boldly bring them together as a unit, but each one looks like he's a singular person.

Yea, I'm going to steal that.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
    edited April 2012
    Finished the last thunderwolf.

IMG_2467.jpg

Really happy with the glowy eye.

Here's the whole mob:

IMG_2483.jpg

With that, I'm taking a painting break. I'm sick of furry things and need a break. Happily, my whole army is only 10 models short of being completed. I will celebrate by buying a glass display case.

Matrias on
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    First test Knight of The Realm finished except for base. I'm not really happy with him overall. The thought of having to paint another 23 of them makes me not want to play these guys anymore. :(

KoTR-fin.png

He turned out awesome. I like that we were worried about painting actual horses, and that's the part of it that I like the most.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    That looks awesome Keen. The best thing about Knights of the Realm is you can paint them all differently. So if you don't like this dude, don't worry, you don't have to paint those colours or patterns again.

shield is rad.

• AsherAsher Registered User regular
    Keen, stoppit. You're making me want to do Bretonnians. I am having similar thoughts to right now. I smashed out a Black Guard and a Corsair last night. I'm happy with them! I hav anther 22 Corsairs and 19 Black Guard to paint :( I guess I should post pics too. . .

Matrias, I love the wolves. Most of the ones I see generally go for odd fur tones, but your look amazing and pretty natural. What happened to the Gingerwolf?

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    The Wolf Lord and Fensrisian wolves look the best, @Matrias. The way you have two natural fur shades blending from the back to the belly looks great.

Those brets look great!

I got my new brushes today. How do I take care of them?

Wash them after use.
    Don't rest them on the bristles.
    Don't be harsh with them.
    Don't use them for drybrushing.
    If they start to look manky, clean them with acetone or something to get out all the dried paint, then condition them with, well, conditioner.
    Try to make sure paint doesn't build up at the base of the brush. See point 1.

Also, use your metallics on your old brushes for as long as possible.

@Asher - got any tips for fixing a split brush? I have a series 7 size 0 I'd rather keep, but even after taking good care of it, it split down the center.

One common cause of splits is paint clogging at the base. I had that happen to my W&N series 7 size 1 and I fixed it by gently swirling it in acetone for a while to declog it as much as possible, then just gently rubbed some conditioner into the bristles and left it for a half an hour or so before washing it out. It came good and I'm still using it.

edited April 2012
    Well, I've got a ready supply of acetone and conditioner from my fiancee. Should I water it down, or just swirl it in acetone straight from a bottle?

-Loki- on
    I used it straight and the brush seemed to survive ok.

Cool. I'll give it a go tomorrow and see if it works. It's not like I use the brush right now anwyay, so if it dies completely, it's no loss.

• PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    This stuff is pretty amazeballs for cleaning/conditioning brushes in my opinion.

steam_sig.png
    Does anyone have a good base tone to use for rotting skin? I want to get started on my Zombies, but the rotting flesh I got from GW is almost the consistency of a wash.

edited April 2012
    Asher wrote: »
    Matrias, I love the wolves. Most of the ones I see generally go for odd fur tones, but your look amazing and pretty natural. What happened to the Gingerwolf?

Thanks, man.

My tech marine is riding the ginger wolf. Havn't painted it yet. I'm pretty sick of fur right now. I'm also kind of scarred I won't like it and will have to paint the fur again.

Matrias on
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    I use shitty 2$ synthetic brushes, so I just cycle through new ones, to drybrushes, to garbage.

My four years of art school says I should feel ashamed, but I don't.

website_header.jpg
    McGibs wrote: »
    I use shitty 2$ synthetic brushes, so I just cycle through new ones, to drybrushes, to garbage.

My four years of art school says I should feel ashamed, but I don't.
    Hahah, me too.

Trying out my new brushes and reaper paints, to find out I painted this grey knight to look like new GW sprue...

Trying out my new brushes and reaper paints, to find out I painted this grey knight to look like new GW sprue...

Are you painting them...grey?

Are you painting them...grey?

THERE ARE MANY KINDS OF GREY DAMNIT!

edited April 2012
    Yeah, like light-grey! And dark-grey! And neutral grey!

And don't ever forget off-white and off-black!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DbAs203r3Y&feature=related

Matrias on
    What grey should my Grey Knights be?

I used to have em all silvery and shit (even spray painted them for a base coat) but now I'm not so into that.

• JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Does anyone have a good base tone to use for rotting skin? I want to get started on my Zombies, but the rotting flesh I got from GW is almost the consistency of a wash.

P3 thrall flesh.

What grey should my Grey Knights be?

I used to have em all silvery and shit (even spray painted them for a base coat) but now I'm not so into that.

Not GW sprue grey. I'm not a fan of Grey Knights being grey unless you're going for some NMM thing.

Because then just paint Space Puppies.

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    My plan tonight was to put together some bikes. I completely forgot about it while watching DS9. I did sit down, spilled Simple Green all over the place, and then clipped parts of one bike off the sprue before remembering I wanted to order some of those assault pads.

I'm wavering on buying them for the entire army, or just biting that bullet and learning how to do transfers and using them. No doubt I have enough of them. Andf I'm going to have to transfer a lot of everything else.

You know, I think that's part of the problem. I've actually decided I want to do this army right, and make it the best I can. So no spraying it yellow. I'm doing it the right way, with the layers and everything. I'm using resin bases, and transfers. I'm goiing to try banners. I'm going to do all the things that this hobby demands, and not skimp on anything, or cut any corners, becaue I'm just as capable as anyone else.

And yet... the amount of work stretches ahead of me, and seems insurmountable again. And I've lost interest. That is disappointing to me. I feel if I could just get the pieces glued together, then I would completed one step, and can start the next. By Friday night, I'm going to have all 6 of these bikes put together, I'm going to do this extra attack bike, and I'm going to put together these terminators and their chaplain. Although someone's going to be lacking a resin base.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    You know, I think that's part of the problem. I've actually decided I want to do this army right, and make it the best I can. So no spraying it yellow.

There's nothing saying you can't do it right while still using a colour primer. A good use of a colour primer is to make it take less layers of a particular paint to get an even finish. If you gave it a spray of Daemonic Yellow, nothing says Daemonic Yellow has to be your basecoat. It's simply the primer. Find a yellow you want, and base it that yellow. The yellow primer will help you get a smoother yellow base.

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Good point.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    fuck 'em, paint the shit out of it straight from that pot.

steam_sig.png
  • PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    Just dump the pot directly on to the mini.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.