As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PS Vita] 2.0: PS1 support is a go (unless you live in North America and don't own a PS3)

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I mean, you might consider Tits just because Tactics Ogre is a grid based SRPG just like FFT and Disgaea 3

But it's far and away better than either of those two games, and one of my all time favorite games, and the PSP version is even better

• RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Artreus wrote: »
    Okay guys I am almost out of space on my memory card. One more RPG. I have FFT, persona 3, disgaea 3 so far.

Tactics Ogre or Trails in the sky? They are both the same price and about the same size.

Tactics Ogre is basically FFT Hardcore Edition.
    Trails in the Sky is the closest thing we've gotten to a new Lunar game since Eternal Blue.

That's probably not making the choice any easier.

Oh and just a warning - both games are rather slow paced even for RPGs. They're both very good but they require a large time investment.

RainbowDespair on
  • ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Hm that is a good point. I might just be smart and save my money. Too many other games to play that are huge time sinks. Xenoblade chronicles is supposed to get here Tuesday.

Looking forward to that.

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    Is there a good action/RPG out at the moment? Something along the lines of FF: Crisis Core?

• Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Take a look at the OP, I've got a list of recommended PSP games in spoiler tags. I'd probably go with Ys VII though.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Ok, so I found myself the proud owner of a 3G/WiFi version and hope that you Vita veterans can help me. I was trying to read about the activating of the 3G on the web but couldn't find the answers. Can you add the device to an existing AT&T contract? Also the box says that there is a free 30 day activation (after paying for the first month) but no code. Sony's site says that it activates after the first 30 days are up but I was wondering how does it know?

So I am hoping that you guys can help me because the web is failing me right now.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Ok, so I found myself the proud owner of a 3G/WiFi version and hope that you Vita veterans can help me. I was trying to read about the activating of the 3G on the web but couldn't find the answers. Can you add the device to an existing AT&T contract? Also the box says that there is a free 30 day activation (after paying for the first month) but no code. Sony's site says that it activates after the first 30 days are up but I was wondering how does it know?

So I am hoping that you guys can help me because the web is failing me right now.

Dunno how it works if you've got a existing contract already, but basically when you register & pay for the first month, when you go to pay for the next month there'll be a coupon code on your account that gives you the bonus month. You just click it and it'll give you another month (at the... I'd like to say 250 MB plan) for free.

I'm assuming when you sign up for it initially it knows that you're using it for a Vita.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Cool, thanks for letting me know how the free 30 days works.

I thought about it later and since it is a pay per use plan it probably can't be added to my existing plan.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    Yarg, I wish I could get Near to work on WiFi that's not at home. For now, it's just a pretty way to see there's 17 people near me playing Uncharted :(

工事中
  • WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    Cokebotle wrote: »
    Yarg, I wish I could get Near to work on WiFi that's not at home. For now, it's just a pretty way to see there's 17 people near me playing Uncharted :(

If you have it on and automatically updating it should still work. It doesn't need open wifi networks to work. It searches around it periodically for wifi networks, notes their hardware MAC address, and when you get home it uses the internet to retroactively locate you. I'm Canadian (no 3G model) and I get located everywhere I go. Granted its not as often as it should be since it relies on Geo located wifi networks but it works nonetheless.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Things that would be awesome:

If Maps got updated so it could be used as a proper, turn-by-turn Garmin-style GPS.
    If they somehow worked out a deal so that Music Unlimited didn't count against your data usage, and you could use it while on 3G. Right now it sorta feels pointless.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    It would not make much sense for them to have Music Unlimited not count against your data usage, considering the amount of data that shit pulls down.

This is why I just got a wifi one, the 3G one is way more expensive and not worth the hassle to me.

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    Anyone else getting errors when logging on to PSN on the Vita? I had trouble even when going to the store. Netflix just sits there saying it is connecting to the network, but nothing happens. I went into settings and tested my connection and everything is fine there. I was able to use Netflix on my 360 so it wasnt them. Got an error message when logging onto that Montezuma Blitz game, but it went away before I could really see it.

• RoriProfessorRoriProfessor Registered User regular
    I'm really appreciating the fact that I can play custom music while I'm grinding in Disgaea 3. Although, Disgaea's music doesn't turn itself off automatically like other games do, so I'd have to turn it on/off in the settings myself.

Wait you can play custom music?

I really hate some of the music in that game

• yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    I'm really liking the music.

And Beryl. It's her smug moments that make her the best.

• BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular

You can do that with any game.

Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz

Open the Music app and play away. Hold the PS button in game for a shortcut to pause the music.

Whoa. And it supersedes the games music?

Probably all of the audio though, right? It seems like it would be too much to ask to have it just replace background music

• RoriProfessorRoriProfessor Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Whoa. And it supersedes the games music?

Probably all of the audio though, right? It seems like it would be too much to ask to have it just replace background music

It should supersede the game music and the soundfxs still goes on. However with Disgaea 3 the music still plays for some reason, possibly because NIS didn't bother putting that feature it in their port. I've been playing Marvel 3 with custom soundtracks, and it works just as it should.

RoriProfessor on

If you have it on and automatically updating it should still work. It doesn't need open wifi networks to work. It searches around it periodically for wifi networks, notes their hardware MAC address, and when you get home it uses the internet to retroactively locate you. I'm Canadian (no 3G model) and I get located everywhere I go. Granted its not as often as it should be since it relies on Geo located wifi networks but it works nonetheless.

Hm... ok. And I just hit the power button once to put it to sleep and it keeps doing that? That is pretty damn nifty, then.

工事中

Hm... ok. And I just hit the power button once to put it to sleep and it keeps doing that? That is pretty damn nifty, then.

You don't need to do anything if the app is running. You can be playing a game, hit power to go into sleep mode, and it will still be checking your location occasionally. You can go to the app's live screen to see how many spots it 'found' by looking at the circle with the arrows in it. As it gathers location data it fills up with a dark blue line around the edge of the circle. When you get home and it uses that data, the blue line drains away. You can also force a Near update by hitting that circle on the live screen if you want to make sure it records the spot you are in. You don't need to go into the app until you want to collect your gifts from people (or to see what's new in your area).

• NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I must say, being able to suspend Disgaea 3 while in the Item World is just pleasant. I wish you could suspend games on standard consoles, instead of having to wait until you get to a save point.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I must say, being able to suspend Disgaea 3 while in the Item World is just pleasant. I wish you could suspend games on standard consoles, instead of having to wait until you get to a save point.

Does it increase your played time at all (like, does your played time increase while suspended).

I'm very OCD about that. I rarely use the suspend feature in RPGs and SRPGs.

I wish I didn't care about that. I don't, really. In fact, I resent that some part of my brain gives a shit.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Drez wrote: »

Does it increase your played time at all (like, does your played time increase while suspended).

I wish I didn't care about that. I don't, really. In fact, I resent that some part of my brain gives a shit.

I hit the PS button to suspend the game before I hit the power button to suspend the system. (I don't know if that sequence is necessary.) IIRC, this seems to stop the time played clock, but I'll double check when I get home.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »

I hit the PS button to suspend the game before I hit the power button to suspend the system. (I don't know if that sequence is necessary.) IIRC, this seems to stop the time played clock, but I'll double check when I get home.

Thanks. I mean I guess I could check too - I own the game - but I haven't really played it yet. If you're too busy don't worry about it.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    Seems like Disgaea 3 releases here today.
    Anyone here play it yet? Thoughts?

edited April 2012
    It is still Disgaea, if you liked the other games.

The story in this one does not interest me at all and the music could be better, but it looks really sharp (aside from some clipping issues that are weird) and the gameplay is still really excellent and deep.

Also it has a lot of voice acting

Artreus on
  • DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Rizzi wrote: »
    Seems like Disgaea 3 releases here today.
    Anyone here play it yet? Thoughts?

Deep tactical gameplay
    Pretty limitless play value (High Level Cap, Cycling Story, Random Dungeons inside of each item from the lowliest hp retoring item to the most poweful legendary sword, bonus content, all PS3 DLC)
    Pretty good UI (Sprites are still low-res which is a bummer, but everything else looks great)

Story could be a pro or con, depending on what you want. Disgaea does not take itself seriously at all, so if your looking for something serious you're going to be disappointed. If your okay with something extremely goofy and fourth-wall breaking, then you'll enjoy it just fine. You can, however, skip all the story segments if you so choose.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
    Cool. I enjoy the less serious stuff. Goofy fourth wall breaking is fine by me. :P

I'd like to chime in about the Disgaea 3 story - I like it. It's simple, silly, and most importantly QUICK. I couldn't play FFXII-2 because I just don't have the patience for boring cutscenes and drawn out story sequences. This is first game in a long time that I do not skip through the story and stupid banter between characters. You CAN still skip it all if you want but there's no need.

• astronautcowboy3astronautcowboy3 Registered User regular
    Disgaea 3 is great. After hearing many people complain about the story, I have come up with a "new" JRPG theory. The sequel that takes place in a high school is automatically the one that (Western) fans hate the most, no matter what. See also Valkyria Chronicles 2.

About Disgaea though, are there many pop culture references/cheesy Vic Ireland-style translation quirks in the English versions?

The JRPG Club: Video game reviews, vocabulary lists and other resources for Japanese learners.
    PSN: astronautcowboy 3DS: 5343-8146-1833
    I have Sega, Nintendo and Xbox games and systems for sale. Please help me buy diapers.
  • Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Actually the pop culture references are pretty close to dead on. Sure some of the classic Japanese puns come across a bit mechnically like in Disgaea 4 kanji jokes, but the rest translate 1.5 to 1 so to speak. American fans finally have enough anime/japanese TV knowledge to get them. Like Vulcan's special attack being a direct rip of Kamen Rider OOO's rider kick.

Disgaea 3's classroom club sub-game/element was awesome and IS awesome. I like it more than Disgaea 4's nation building minigame. And I love Mao the most out of the 4 main protags. His geeky obsessiveness really charms. Val is pretty cool, but way to stuck up for my taste. If it wasn't for Fuka showing up I'd be bored with 4's cast.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
    Five minutes in and we've already broken the fourth wall.
    Nice.

• Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    Rizzi wrote: »
    Five minutes in and we've already broken the fourth wall.
    Nice.

5 hours in the wall is a smoking ruin.

PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    Actually the pop culture references are pretty close to dead on. Sure some of the classic Japanese puns come across a bit mechnically like in Disgaea 4 kanji jokes, but the rest translate 1.5 to 1 so to speak. American fans finally have enough anime/japanese TV knowledge to get them. Like Vulcan's special attack being a direct rip of Kamen Rider OOO's rider kick.

Disgaea 3's classroom club sub-game/element was awesome and IS awesome. I like it more than Disgaea 4's nation building minigame. And I love Mao the most out of the 4 main protags. His geeky obsessiveness really charms. Val is pretty cool, but way to stuck up for my taste. If it wasn't for Fuka showing up I'd be bored with 4's cast.

I absolutely love Mao's personality, and his interaction with Beryl.

This may be entirely because Beryl is the most hardcore legendarily badass delinquent I have ever seen.

• chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    First cast is still better. No one has really topped Etna.

Well, except pleinair, but I'm willing to admit most won't follow that.

steam_sig.png
  • ThemadcowThemadcow Registered User regular
    D1 is just a better game all round than 2 or 3 - I haven't played 4 yet. I've 'completed' it (in the Uber Prinny Baal sense - not the insanely masochistic item world completionist sense) 3 times over on PS2 and PSP yet had to force myself to complete the basic storylines of 2 and 3.

You don't need to do anything if the app is running. You can be playing a game, hit power to go into sleep mode, and it will still be checking your location occasionally. You can go to the app's live screen to see how many spots it 'found' by looking at the circle with the arrows in it. As it gathers location data it fills up with a dark blue line around the edge of the circle. When you get home and it uses that data, the blue line drains away. You can also force a Near update by hitting that circle on the live screen if you want to make sure it records the spot you are in. You don't need to go into the app until you want to collect your gifts from people (or to see what's new in your area).

Hm... ok. I may need to play around with it a bit more, then. I tried it for a bit today just carrying it around, but it didn't seem to register much. Thanks!

工事中