As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

fez thread for rad red threads mark spoilers

• T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    Yo @Speed Racer

I was right about those pillars

in other news

50 cubes down

14 to go

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    T4CT wrote: »
    Yo @Speed Racer

Really? I messed with your idea a little last night and couldn't figure anything out

Yo @Speed Racer

Really? I messed with your idea a little last night and couldn't figure anything out

maybe if you were on AIM I could explain to you

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    well i'm here now so where the FUCK are you

• SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    just beat this game, all collectibles, what a crazy game

managed to get by with minimal help, though
    i was spoiled on how to decipher the language and number system, but i did the legwork myself. a few puzzles i looked up when i knew i had the logic right but i was having trouble coming up with the solution, i.e. the observatory and boiler room. And the monolith, but i mean, come on.

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
    I still haven't figured out the observatory

I've got all the tetris symbols and what I presume to be the clue written on the stone outside but it's not clicking for me

haven't figured out the tuning-fork-looking pillar things yet either

also still short a treasure map, and the only treasure chest I have left is in an area that I feel like I need a treasure map to get to

• DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    I still haven't figured out the observatory

I've got all the tetris symbols and what I presume to be the clue written on the stone outside but it's not clicking for me

haven't figured out the tuning-fork-looking pillar things yet either

also still short a treasure map, and the only treasure chest I have left is in an area that I feel like I need a treasure map to get to

I was very pleased with myself for picking up on the tuning fork puzzles when I realized what they involved.

• DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    Speed Racer: Where are you at with the observatory? Any ideas so far? I can tell you that there are two separate puzzles in the room, one relates to the flashing red light, the other doesn't at all.

As for the tuning forks, it came to me pretty fast (it's one of those things that either happens or it doesn't, I guess), but the moment of realization was still fantastic.

i will be there to Fez shortly if you're around Speed

i think i've got most of this game figured out

once I clear up some rooms and grab my remaining owls we're gonna be in a spot where Speed and I start on the monolith.

observatory
    I... don't even remember seeing a flashing red light, unless maybe it was something I solved when I first got to it and have forgotten about

what I've got so far are the tetris constellations for every orientation of the telescope. Each side has two constellations: RT and A, A and Right, Right and RT, and Left and RT.

and I translated the message outside which reads "THE POINTS CONSTELLATE CONSPIRE TO CREATE SHAPES SHAPES TO TESSELLATE"

which makes me think I need to fit the tetris constellations together like a puzzle or something, but I can't see a way that they fit together nicely and also I'm not sure how that would help me anyway

I've probably come close to inputting every possible combination of the pairs of tetris blocks but so far I've got nothin' to show for it.

once I clear up some rooms and grab my remaining owls we're gonna be in a spot where Speed and I start on the monolith.

eh I'll be on AIM but unless we figure something big out I'm not gonna bother booting the game back up, it's late

also still got to figure out the clock
    I think depending on how you rotate it you see a different hand? So like one side is seconds, one is minutes, one is hours, and I guess the fourth one is days?

An anticube appeared briefly when the second hand hit I think 12, but I checked it around midnight and didn't see another anticube in the area for the "hour hand" side

• DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    The clock is easiest to best by just
    unplugging your Xbox from being online and just messing with your system clock to find working times. The different arms go by their own timings as well...the green one for me seemed to touch the top every 6 hours or so at 15 minutes after the hour. The grey one seems to be on a 48 hour interval.

observatory
    I... don't even remember seeing a flashing red light, unless maybe it was something I solved when I first got to it and have forgotten about

what I've got so far are the tetris constellations for every orientation of the telescope. Each side has two constellations: RT and A, A and Right, Right and RT, and Left and RT.

and I translated the message outside which reads "THE POINTS CONSTELLATE CONSPIRE TO CREATE SHAPES SHAPES TO TESSELLATE"

which makes me think I need to fit the tetris constellations together like a puzzle or something, but I can't see a way that they fit together nicely and also I'm not sure how that would help me anyway

I've probably come close to inputting every possible combination of the pairs of tetris blocks but so far I've got nothin' to show for it.

You're basically there, you're just backwards.

edited April 2012
    The clock puzzle is kinda dumb. Time based puzzles are a stupid idea, especially on the scales that some of the faces demands.
    I would've had to be up at 5AM to get the green hand. Fuck that, I just set my clock like Dys said. And I think the white hand is once a week? Stupid.

Darric on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    fez, stupid? never
    sorry, i couldn't resist that one

eh I'll be on AIM but unless we figure something big out I'm not gonna bother booting the game back up, it's late

you show up as offline right now but I know how the stuff you're asking about works if you'd like, got it done today
    Darric wrote: »
    The clock puzzle is kinda dumb. Time based puzzles are a stupid idea, especially on the scales that some of the faces demands.
    I would've had to be up at 5AM to get the green hand. Fuck that, I just set my clock like Dys said. And I think the white hand is once a week? Stupid.
    I don't think the point was for you to actually wait for those times

I mean you could but I think part of the puzzle is that the solution is to change your system clock to then.
    fez, stupid? never
    sorry, i couldn't resist that one

thanks for that

i find this really depressing

we find this extremely fun

edited April 2012

you show up as offline right now but I know how the stuff you're asking about works if you'd like, got it done today

I mean you could but I think part of the puzzle is that the solution is to change your system clock to then.

As much as I admire the idea of working outside the system (especially as it relates to Fez on the whole), I disagree, because that makes for a solution that's not at all fun and feels like cheating, no matter how you slice it.

Darric on
    we find this extremely fun

not exclusive things

i find this really depressing

I don't understand why! What is it that you're particularly against? I concede that there are some puzzles that are very badly designed, but as best as I can tell you're wholly against the very nature of the puzzles themselves.

The way I see it, even if you ignore that entire aspect of the game, you're left with a cute, artistic exploration platformer that does some fun things with the medium. Is that bad?

yes
    as a person who lived through 2002, we went through all this metagame puzzles at the death throes of the adventure genre & the rise of the ARG. if what counts for innovation is the rediscovery of game mechanics that were popular more than a decade ago, then i am depressed

if it's your thing, that's cool. i just get mad at phil fish

As much as I admire the idea of working outside the system (especially as it relates to Fez on the whole), I disagree, because that makes for a solution that's not at all fun and feels like cheating, no matter how you slice it.

see where I don't think it's not fun or feels like cheating

it was just "oh hey this is how this works, this is how to solve it"

simple as that

yes
    as a person who lived through 2002, we went through all this metagame puzzles at the death throes of the adventure genre & the rise of the ARG. if what counts for innovation is the rediscovery of game mechanics that were popular more than a decade ago, then i am depressed

this just

i don't even know what to say

sorry it's not innovative enough for you?

it's still a really good game

we are allowed to have different opinions

i don't think there's much to the game because it's badly designed and is kind of sadistic

but you enjoy it, and that's cool, we just look at it differently

and i think it's super well designed and not at all sadistic

which is fine

it'd just be cool to not have to read the same depressing and humdrum opinion over and over again when it never really changes

edited April 2012
    if it's your thing, that's cool. i just get mad at phil fish

No, no, I mean, I have problems with Fez for the same reasons you do, it's just that the degree to which they affect my enjoyment of the game is severely less. I also don't think you were expressing your problems with the game very well; a moment ago, you were attributing fault to the timing of the genre's popularity, which was strange.

I think I understand your perspective, but you still seem to be wholly derisive of the game based on one small (but significant) aspect of it. I don't know, brushing it off as "badly designed" just rings a little false, is all, given that it's obviously been meticulously crafted for its specific aims.

Darric on
    yeah probably

oh well,guess we have to talk in the same thread!

well no like do you get where i'm coming from

talking about how you don't like the game is cool and all

but statements like "i find this really depressing" when we're in the midst of having nice conversations about things we do (or don't!) find cool in the game

maybe your post was just really bad timed

but look at contextually where that ends up

yeah, it was after 'thanks for that'

sigh

in other news

finally collected all my cubes! so now the only thing left to do is figure out that black monolith business

@Speed Racer I'm gonna take a look at it right now but I don't think I have the brainpower required to get anywhere near where I need to be for this on my own

that being said

it's worth a look i guess

in fact now I'm just going to take notes in this thread and tag @Speed Racer so he knows

so uh

black monolith spoilers
    ok I got the monolith to appear

now I'm not 100% sure but the ENTIRE BACKGROUND is coated in shift cypher symbols

i haven't figured out exactly where it starts and stops repeating but we do not need them all. every wall is identical and also repeats vertically

ostensibly if we can isolate an area to ignore all the repeats

i imagine that has to be at least PART of the code

What about the room below the submerged tree island?

i.e.
    The heart cubes?

• ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    I look forward to 100 pages of you slowly going mad

edited April 2012
    What about the room below the submerged tree island?

i.e.
    The heart cubes?
    I have two of those three cubes

since the black monolith is the only puzzle unsolved

i assume this is where my third piece is going to come from

oh don't worry, both Speed and myself have already deduced that this game is a game for crazy people

speed went back and translated the ENTIRE opening speech from the giant god cube because we thought there might be a hint hidden in there

i'm not convinced there isn't

and the most maddening part of the game is when this ghost appears and says
    don't trust the hypercube

aka the only other thing you ever really interact with

T4CT on
    Oh, right, I thought it was the other way round. Anyway, good luck with that!

I said I'd be around for a little while at 2:30 AM

you didn't show up until about 3:30 AM

so