As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Diablo 3] Diablo walks the Earth in 5 days. Single digits omg

• lu tzelu tze Sweeping the monestary steps.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Hopefully the crafting system will alleviate that somewhat.

Although I wouldn't expect to just jaunt right into inferno with shop bought gear, the dps difference between rares and legendaries is, err... quite dramatic in some cases.

Edit: Actually looking again, crafted gear holds up pretty damn well to everything except the top legendary item in its class. So that's not too bad (subject to change, terms and conditions apply).

lu tze on
    World's best janitor
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    The situation you're describing is literally the entire motivation for the Blacksmith NPC.

D2's xpac tried to help that situation with the Runeword system, where players could manufacture decent gear if the RNG gods were not giving them great random stuff, but the Runeword system was itself highly flawed itself because it still relied on some pretty unreliable drop rates, and was eventually totally corrupted by the proliferation of thousands of duped runes.

In D3 if you've got a shitty weapon by Act 4 you go to your Blacksmith and feed him some crafting materials, which you should have a mountain of or can easily acquire more, and you will get at least a serviceable weapon out of it, and maybe a really good one. It's a much, much better prospect than shopping around for a magic weapon or gambling ever was in D2.

Scosglen on
  • PriestPriest Registered User regular
    Hey, so I've deliberately been keeping myself in the dark in regards to Diablo III, because, well, I want things to be fresh, shiny and new when I pick up the game. Diablo II was the first online game I ever bought, and the first game I bought with my own money back at the end of High School.

I've been paying a mild bit of attention to the Monk though. While I'm fond of Unarmed combat, I'm getting a mild impression that he doesn't have that "Wow" factor that the Barbarian brings to the table. Any thoughts? I'd prefer to play a Paladin, but beggars can't be choosers.

Also, I have only marginal interest in the PVP aspect of Diablo. Is there a decent improvement to the co-op online portion of Diablo? (Don't get me wrong, D2 was revolutionary for it's time, but in 10 year retrospect, it sucks donkey balls). Just wondering if this game has enough longevity in it for me to buy it at release, or if it's only good for it's single player for a guy who doesn't like PVP in this sort of genre, hence waiting until discounts hit.

• KambingKambing Registered User regular
    I'm planning on broadcasting my complete run-through of the game on release day. Doing my first stream test with a Witch Doctor playthrough now. Will be doing a few more during this final week of beta while I work on broadcasting and recording kinks.

@TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Playing Monk with fast weapons makes him a lot more fun and effective imo. So that might be your problem.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Priest wrote: »
    Hey, so I've deliberately been keeping myself in the dark in regards to Diablo III, because, well, I want things to be fresh, shiny and new when I pick up the game. Diablo II was the first online game I ever bought, and the first game I bought with my own money back at the end of High School.

I've been paying a mild bit of attention to the Monk though. While I'm fond of Unarmed combat, I'm getting a mild impression that he doesn't have that "Wow" factor that the Barbarian brings to the table. Any thoughts? I'd prefer to play a Paladin, but beggars can't be choosers.

Also, I have only marginal interest in the PVP aspect of Diablo. Is there a decent improvement to the co-op online portion of Diablo? (Don't get me wrong, D2 was revolutionary for it's time, but in 10 year retrospect, it sucks donkey balls). Just wondering if this game has enough longevity in it for me to buy it at release, or if it's only good for it's single player for a guy who doesn't like PVP in this sort of genre, hence waiting until discounts hit.

Actually, from what I've seen, the Monk is right up there with the Barbarian for wow factor. It is a different sort, but his attacks are flashier, nicely animated, and very effective. Early on you'll get some really snazzy attacks that do the third hit effect thing, and a kick that sends critters flying. If you hit a little hovering bat thing they get punted like soccer balls. After that you'll get your first teleport on attack rune, so you can follow up your knockbacks, and a flash of light that blinds everything around you. They're very much stuck in like the barbarians. Less swinging a big weapon, but similar amounts of enemy manipulation and big, meaty hits.

As for the coop portion, I think they outdid themselves. I was very impressed. See, they put this little "public game" button on the main menu, and when you click it, you can select which quest you'd like to play. Every public party playing the game is tied to whichever quest they're on, so you can see however many thousands of people are playing this one, or that one, and you can then join whichever stage of the game you'd like provided that you're eligible for it by having gotten there yourself in either private or public play.

Once you're in a game, you can teleport to your party members by clicking on their banners, which are arrayed around the town checkpoint. If, for whatever reason, you find yourself separated from your party or one of you hares off and finds the stairs to the next level, you can town portal and then teleport to them via their banner rather than hoofing it. Also, if someone starts an event, all players will get an acceptance dialogue, and then be teleported to the event no matter where they are at the time. Cooperative play is extremely accessible.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • mEEksamEEksa Registered User regular

Combat for the Barbarian does feel more visceral in that all his moves feel very powerful. When the Barbarian uses a skill, the ground shakes and enemies fly through the air like ragdolls. The carnage is less pronounced for the Monk, but that said, I actually preferred playing Monk. It was a lot of fun flying around and smashing enemies with fast combos. This is only the first few skills, anyway, so there's a good chance that at higher levels the Monk will have a lot more 'oomph' in his attacks.

I'm not sure what aspects of co-op online play you want to be improved? It's more or less what you get in D2. It's very easy to join friends in a game, and it is a lot easier to sync up quests then it was in D2. And yes, I expect the game to have a lot of longevity, but that depends entirely on how and why you enjoy Diablo. I wouldn't hold out for a discount, either, because Blizzard games don't go on sale for years.

• SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    I knew I was playing a monk the day it was announced. Played the beta over the weekend and do not regret the decision!

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Kambing wrote: »
    I'm planning on broadcasting my complete run-through of the game on release day. Doing my first stream test with a Witch Doctor playthrough now. Will be doing a few more during this final week of beta while I work on broadcasting and recording kinks.

Kambing, if I didn't already know I could tell by your clicking that you're a SC player.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve

Kambing, if I didn't already know I could tell by your clicking that you're a SC player.

I'm going to invent corpse spider jar stutter-step micro.

@TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
  • MatzMatz Bronze Grandmaster FurieRegistered User regular

Go one further. Train the corpse spiders to stutter-step themselves...

2uenpg3.png

Lose: The opposite of win
    Loose: Your mum
    _J_ wrote: »
    I imagine that I make more money from D3 than I would make sucking dick. But I wouldn't want to spend either my D3 or dick sucking money on gear.
    Matz wrote: »

By the way, the number of spider jars my scantily clad witch doctor can produce from her person is quite remarkable.

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular

There's something darkly hilarious about throwing a jar filled with spiders at someone.

Do you think it's fair to sum up the witch doctor as "death by schadenfreude"?

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve

By the way, the number of spider jars my scantily clad witch doctor can produce from her person is quite remarkable.

I have to confess that I did spend more time than was strictly necessary appreciating the armour (and possibly non-armoured parts) of my female monk...

2uenpg3.png

I imagine that I make more money from D3 than I would make sucking dick. But I wouldn't want to spend either my D3 or dick sucking money on gear.
  • SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    This wrote: »
    I turned on enemy health bars last night just to experiment, and it really changes things sometimes. Like, it suddenly made the Witch Doctor's Firebats spell go from "enh" to "fucking awesome". Running up to a group of enemies and going Soul Harvest->Firebats and watching the red bars zoom to nothingness activates all the right neuron clusters.

On the subject of Firebats, why would you ever use the rune that destroys the spell? The one you get at level 10-12 somewhere that changes it to launching out one big bat that flies a long way. That seemed pretty bad.

Have you TRIED that rune? Here's how it worked when I was maxing my WD : big pack of monsters in front of me in a 4 player game, I cast soul harvest, cast the big fire bat, and then most of the big pack of monsters is now a pile of flaming corpses. Sure, it didn't one shot everything like the big fat guys or elite monsters, but it would chew through the weaker stuff like nobody's business. I got the most of my "deadly blow" pop ups for killing a bunch of monsters with one hit with that one.

Monk is good times, it's a fair amount a matter of taste and preferred playstyle between him and the barb. And I would say he has a decent amount of "wow" factor, especially the exploding palm skill. It's a dot that turns the target into a blood timebomb, and I'd say the closest skill to D2's corpse explosion. Though it's hard to have anything match corpse explosion.

Savant on

SPIDERRRRRRSSSSSS

The best thing is having a spider-off with another witch doctor or three.

9KmX8eN.jpg
    Just for clarification is anyone able to confirm that the open beta is over now? All done and dusted (apart from those who were previously invited?). I'm at work so haven't been able to check and all this talk is making me hope that they leave it open for just a little longer...

2uenpg3.png

• ThisThis Registered User regular
    The most fun I had with the beta was with jar-spiders. I got pretty high and imagined the game was a real scenario. Walking up to the guards in front of town, not saying anything, looking like a creep, and then throwing jars of spiders at them. It was hilarious. Here are these town guards in a pretty serious situation, and this weirdo homeless looking guy shows up and starts throwing jars of spiders around. And NO ONE EVEN SAYS ANYTHING. They're just too creeped out to even be like "Uh, hey man, why are you throwing spiders at us". Just nothing.

Probably had to be there (in my head) but I got a lot of enjoyment out of it.

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

spider jars in the va-jay-jay

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Just for clarification is anyone able to confirm that the open beta is over now? All done and dusted (apart from those who were previously invited?). I'm at work so haven't been able to check and all this talk is making me hope that they leave it open for just a little longer...

Open beta ended this morning at 10am. If you're not in closed beta D3 is on vacation until the 15th.

Xeddicus on
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    This wrote: »
    I have a hardware question. My computer is a few years old, and it is capable of running D3 but it doesn't look too great. I'm wondering if I can do a cheap upgrade (like video card/RAM) without a complete overhaul, that will make a difference.

Here's what I have:
    Intel Core 2 Duo 1.86 Ghz
    2 Gigs of RAM
    Nvidia GeForce 7900 GS

Any hardware smart people on here that could suggest where my best bet would be in terms of performace:dollars? In the beta I could get decent performance out of running at the lowest 16:10 resolution with minimized graphics settings. With vsync on, I would be at 60fps while walking through empty hallways and 30fps during combat.

If I were to upgrade the video card, would it matter? Or do I have a processor and/or RAM bottleneck?

For consumer purposes outside of rendering/encoding video there is pretty much nothing in the world that is processor-bound anymore.

An AMD 7770 and 8GB of RAM will set you back roughly $200 and vastly improve your performance.

• ZherZher Registered User new member
    I also am a bit worried about my hardware, my computer is a few years old and struggles with some newer titles that I have tried out. Haven't had a chance to run the beta but I'd like to make sure my computer was up to snuff before I pick up the game.

I have:
    Pentium Dual Core CPU E5200 @ 2.50GHz
    6 Gigs or RAM
    ATI Radeon HD 3400 Series

Any ideas for ways to get my performance up to par without spending too much? New video card?

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Video card is pretty much always the answer. Games rely on that more than anything. Your RAM is fine, CPU may be a pain depending on what you want to spend etc. Knowing your PSU and exact video card would help, but a 6670 would probably bump things up nicely.

• BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Yeah, new video card should be fine. I have a Q6600 quad core with 3gb RAM and D3 runs perfectly fine with a 6870 HD. I upgraded from an 8800GT late last year and haven't noticed any sort of bottlenecking, though I'm sure I'm suffering in general from the low RAM. You can regularly find the 6870's these days for about $150 or so after rebates, and usually with some sort of free game(s) promo to boot (Dirt 3 being a popular attachment).

D3 isn't a taxing game by any means. Even a modest video card upgrade should be more than enough for anyone with a 5+ year old card.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    Savant wrote: »
    exploding palm skill. It's a dot that turns the target into a blood timebomb, and I'd say the closest skill to D2's corpse explosion. Though it's hard to have anything match corpse explosion.

The wizard has a rune that makes enemies that die to charged bolts explode in a nice radius. That felt VERY much like corpse explosion. Even easier to use, really.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
    edited April 2012
    Oooh. Here we have the character customization systems of the game explained by someone who apparently isn't a bitter asshole.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3811455085?page=1

I have been enlightened. Go forth, fellow people who know nothing about the game beyond the number on the end and maybe having stabbed some things over the weekend, and be enlightened as well.

Now somebody come and tell me that all of his information is wrong and nothing he mentions is in the game anymore.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • mEEksamEEksa Registered User regular
    Nope, that post is a bit dated but it is still a very good explanation of how the systems in D3 were changed from D2 and, in general, why they are better now (or at least just as good).

• datac0redatac0re Registered User regular

I didn't end up getting a chance to play as the Barbarian, but I went all the way through the beta with a monk, and he definitely packs a solid punch. I love the attack animations, plus there's a shrine that gives you +25% attack speed, and once you get that, he turns into a kung-fu machine and bodies start flying. I can't imagine what a high-level monk with a very high attack speed is going to look like. You'll see 10 enemies, blink, and there won't be anything but corpses left.

• SkabSkab Registered User regular
    Basil wrote: »
    Oooh. Here we have the character customization systems of the game explained by someone who apparently isn't a bitter asshole.

I have been enlightened. Go forth, fellow people who know nothing about the game beyond the number on the end and maybe having stabbed some things over the weekend, and be enlightened as well.

Now somebody come and tell me that all of his information is wrong and nothing he mentions is in the game anymore.

Yeah that's fairly outdated at this point.

steam_sig.png
  • Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    So I got a chance to play the open beta. I read through a lot of the whys in the change log, because initially, this didn't feel like diablo 2. Then I slapped myself silly and was like, of course it doesn't. After reading the whys of removing skill trees, I really get where they were going and I like how they are trying to make the actual in-game currency worth something. Also, the insistence that crafted rares might be better than uniques and set items is pretty interesting to me, and I look forward to see how this pans out. I'm skeptical.

I will say that the skill menu UI is absolutely terrible. I didn't see it a few patches back, but people in their forums were saying it was much better. Here's to hoping they change that UI.

PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    So I got a chance to play the open beta. I read through a lot of the whys in the change log, because initially, this didn't feel like diablo 2. Then I slapped myself silly and was like, of course it doesn't. After reading the whys of removing skill trees, I really get where they were going and I like how they are trying to make the actual in-game currency worth something. Also, the insistence that crafted rares might be better than uniques and set items is pretty interesting to me, and I look forward to see how this pans out. I'm skeptical.

I will say that the skill menu UI is absolutely terrible. I didn't see it a few patches back, but people in their forums were saying it was much better. Here's to hoping they change that UI.

With any luck, they will change it so turning on elective mode will switch it back to the old UI.

untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Torgairon wrote: »
    Good luck to anyone playing demon hunter as their first, praying for that good xbow to drop while everyone else is crafting awesome new melee weapons every few levels.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/artisan/blacksmith/progression/#level=2

20% xp, looks like a solid crafted xbow to me

Required level : 14

But yeah you can buy an okay xbow from the merchant if one doesn't drop for ya. I got a bunch in my beta run after level 6-7, but before then kinda sucked.
    Skab wrote: »
    Basil wrote: »

Yeah that's fairly outdated at this point.

"*I wrote this thread right around New Year's. Many players enjoyed reading it so I have updated/bumped it to include the recent changes.*"

"***Update 4/22***"

2 days old is outdated? Damn, son. It's actually a pretty good read for those who don't know the specific changes from 2 to 3.

Also that link has youtube links to interviews that I haven't seen before that answer a lot of the same questions that keep coming up, you guys should check it out.

KoopahTroopah on
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

The big part of it was that you could assign any skill to any button. Now it's "you can assign A, B, C, or D to hotkey 1, you can assign E, F, G, and H to hotkey two, and so forth - but only those skills to those hotkeys".

There were plenty of skills I flat out didn't use, and they never got any buttons at all, but I was forced to pick one or leave that hotkey blank this time. And since they don't let you preview skills, on a 13th level cap you also can't see what they're going to make you assign to hotkey 3 and 4, because the earliest you can unlock hotkey 3 is level 14. Awesome design decision.

(Though I hear there is an "elective" mode that lets you actually customize it, I didn't look too hard for that - mainly for lack of being aware of its existence.)

Donnicton on
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    And to those who still don't believe you can customize your character enough, Bashiok (the d3 forum mod) had a long conversation on the forums about it. Here's a link.

• Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Donnicton wrote: »

The big part of it was that you could assign any skill to any button. Now it's "you can assign A, B, C, or D to hotkey 1, you can assign E, F, G, and H to hotkey two, and so forth - but only those skills to those hotkeys".

There were plenty of skills I flat out didn't use, and they never got any buttons at all, but I was forced to pick one or leave that hotkey blank this time. And since they don't let you preview skills, on a 13th level cap you also can't see what they're going to make you assign to hotkey 3 and 4, because the earliest you can unlock hotkey 3 is level 14. Awesome design decision.

(Though I hear there is an "elective" mode that lets you actually customize it, I didn't look too hard for that - mainly for lack of being aware of its existence.)

Wait so do you mean they didn't have the skill 'groupings' like they have now and you could choose ANY skill for any button? Right now it seems like you can choose one skill from one group at one time. Was that not always the case?

Metal Jared on
    BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    And to those who still don't believe you can customize your character enough, Bashiok (the d3 forum mod) had a long conversation on the forums about it. Here's a link.

Holy christ I can't believe he actually bothered to answer some of those questions

like the first one

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    For those looking for a nice in-depth comparison to the benefits of D3 over D2, check this out: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3811455085

made me a lot more confident about the mechanics.

PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    I have a couple of quick questions, maybe you guys could help me out? There were only two parts of the open beta that concerned me, and the biggest one was the whole "share gold between characters" thing. My wife's pretty into Diablo as well, and we'll be playing on the same computer, you know? I'm a little worried that I'll end up spending all of her damn money, lol. Do we know for sure if that's a finalized feature, or if there's a way to secure money for a particular character so that it's not shared?

The second thing I noticed was that, as a Witch Doctor, I could spam my spells all day long. My mana globe never seemed to drain unless I was using some of the big stuff. Is that intentional? Is that the way it'll be in the final game? As a Barbarian, I obviously noticed my rage going up and down. Same goes for the Monk's focus. I noticed both hatred and discipline going up and down as I used my Demon Hunter abilities, too. As a Wizard, I didn't notice any change when I was using my signature spells, but that's because they're literally free, and it says so. My mana certainly went down when I used the bigger stuff. Sometimes it went down really quickly.

So what's up with the Witch Doctor? Even though my Corpse Spiders and Grasp of the Dead say they cost X amount of mana, I can pretty much spam them and remain at 100%. Is that the way it's going to be in the final version, or is there just some insane mana regeneration available in the beta so that you get a chance to really see all of your abilities in action? I'm a little worried I'll start playing the WD after release and it'll feel totally different because I can't use my abilities as often as I'm used to.

• SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Elective mode just adds arrows so you can switch between the groups to select a skill to put in whatever slot. There are some skills you can't set to left click, but other than that you can put anything anywhere.

I think they should just really have it with elective mode on normally, because even with elective mode the UI pushes you towards having the skills in their categories assigned to their buttons. And the arrows are fairly easy to miss. Not to mention all the trouble we've seen with folks not realizing there is an elective mode until well after the fact.

Savant on
    For those looking for a nice in-depth comparison to the benefits of D3 over D2, check this out: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3811455085

made me a lot more confident about the mechanics.

That link is posted on that page literally <10 posts up haha. It really is worth looking at though guys.
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Holy christ I can't believe he actually bothered to answer some of those questions

like the first one

Yeah they get kind of hectic. No offence to PA mods, but Bashiok is hands down my favorite mod of any board. He really keeps his calm and composure when explaining things about D3. +1 to him.

This discussion has been closed.