Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Tim Schafer's [DÜDLE] Legend

18384868889100

Posts

  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    EDIT: I just realized that these silhouettes only work when interpreted as a front view. Look at them like back views and they fall apart, specifically in the legs. They're supposed to work either way, right? Or am I wrong and these are fine?

    ... I have no idea what you are talking about here, dude. Like, I don't even know how you would draw a three-quarter front view that also worked from the back. The knees would be on backwards for a start.

    Or perhaps I've misunderstood what you're saying.

  • TamTam I hate art I love artRegistered User regular
    @ChicoBlue

    I'm finding this hella frustrating
    am I not supposed to use the opacity slider either?

    14uchlw.jpg

  • NicNic Registered User
    comradesuperman.png

    Rough sketch that I gave basic colours.

  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Tam wrote: »
    @ChicoBlue

    I'm finding this hella frustrating
    am I not supposed to use the opacity slider either?

    14uchlw.jpg

    Definitely use the opacity slider. You can just hit the numbers on your keyboard to quickly switch the opacity %.

    Try just laying down your initial sketches and tones in the way that you normally do and are comfortable with, and then switch to the default brushes to tidy up edges and tighten up forms.

    I was more suggesting that you might try adding that sort of thing to your current workflow, rather than altering your way of doing things completely.

    Also, I mucked around with your face again to make some suggestions.

    Establish your light sources firmly.

    Try chiseling out some planes on your faces and make sure that the values follow them accordingly.

    Try varying up the value of your shadows. Shadows would only be that dark if the guy is standing in a black room with a strong light source shining on him.

    tamb.jpg

    Illustration Portfolio: cajsimpson.com
  • TamTam I hate art I love artRegistered User regular
    oooooh ok
    whoops
    that makes a hell of a lot more sense

  • MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    Guys I am so tired of this thread

    can we get a new one by like ... cinco de mayo? That'd be awesome. I promise to do my part.

  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    ...how can you possibly get tired of le dudle thread? And chico, that is actually not only helpful for tam, but that helps me a bit as well. So thank you.

    Prospicience on
    Pfffffffffflickr ||Steam: IamBic || Bnet: IamBick#1264
  • Nineteen HundredNineteen Hundred Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    EDIT: I just realized that these silhouettes only work when interpreted as a front view. Look at them like back views and they fall apart, specifically in the legs. They're supposed to work either way, right? Or am I wrong and these are fine?

    ... I have no idea what you are talking about here, dude. Like, I don't even know how you would draw a three-quarter front view that also worked from the back. The knees would be on backwards for a start.

    Or perhaps I've misunderstood what you're saying.

    Uhhh... yeah, I'm being dumb. I'm blaming it on being really tired when I did those silhouettes.

    There was something important here. It's gone now.
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Chico I am not sure if that light source you're sighting in the example is accurate enough.

    How far is the light source from the face? Is he in a room or outside? I ask because you've got his face lit up in this bizarre tween grey area that's part sunlight and part nearby, but your bounce light suggest that he's under an oversized/diffused light source! Those bounce shadows are confusing to read ahahahaha

    EDIT: I realize that this might be nitpicking haha

    Godfather on
    0WBv0.png
  • NicNic Registered User
    Godfather wrote: »

    EDIT: I realize that this might be nitpicking haha

    Honestly some of the stuff people point out here - myself included in hindshight- makes me smile for exactly this reason. It's just as much for us as it is for the person we're giving the advice to.

  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Godfather wrote: »
    Chico I am not sure if that light source you're sighting in the example is accurate enough.

    How far is the light source from the face? Is he in a room or outside? I ask because you've got his face lit up in this bizarre tween grey area that's part sunlight and part nearby, but your bounce light suggest that he's under an oversized/diffused light source! Those bounce shadows are confusing to read ahahahaha

    EDIT: I realize that this might be nitpicking haha

    He's clearly a man standing in a diffusely lit grey room with a weak light source very near and a reflector above him pointing at his forehead.

    You're right, though. It's far from perfect.

    Picking nits is integral to improvement.

    Illustration Portfolio: cajsimpson.com
  • MaydayMayday made up his mind Registered User regular
    Dudes, do any of these colours work? It's for a beauty salon or something:
    finessecol.jpg

    logo-60px.gif GFX | MINIS | PRV
  • NicNic Registered User
    I'm pretty sure that first combo is owned by Kotaku.

  • MaydayMayday made up his mind Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I'm pretty sure every possible combo is already being used by someone :/

    Mayday on
    logo-60px.gif GFX | MINIS | PRV
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I used a similar combo in a design class and everyone said it was the Crown Royal colours.

    But they were all college students.

    Picking out just two colours to work with can be the most maddening thing.

    That said, I vote you remove the Orange glaring one on the bottom left from the running.

    ChicoBlue on
    Illustration Portfolio: cajsimpson.com
  • MaydayMayday made up his mind Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    Picking out just two colours to work with can be the most maddening thing.

    That said, I vote you remove the Orange glaring one on the bottom left from the running.

    Client's wishes, what can you do.
    And you're right with the orange of course. EXTERMINATED!

    BTW. Did you guys know that if there's a paid commercial font made from a non-digital original, there's a good chance someone created a copy of it (from the same source), released it for free and it's completely legal?

    Mayday on
    logo-60px.gif GFX | MINIS | PRV
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    Godfather wrote: »
    Chico I am not sure if that light source you're sighting in the example is accurate enough.

    How far is the light source from the face? Is he in a room or outside? I ask because you've got his face lit up in this bizarre tween grey area that's part sunlight and part nearby, but your bounce light suggest that he's under an oversized/diffused light source! Those bounce shadows are confusing to read ahahahaha

    EDIT: I realize that this might be nitpicking haha

    He's clearly a man standing in a diffusely lit grey room with a weak light source very near and a reflector above him pointing at his forehead.

    You're right, though. It's far from perfect.

    Picking nits is integral to improvement.

    Stop using big words! It hurts my thinking box ahahaha

    0WBv0.png
  • EncEnc FloridaRegistered User regular
    The pink and the red one on the left column, or the purple one in the right column as a distant third.

    If this is for marketing you want something easy to parse while driving at 20 miles an hour past a store sign. The bright colors may catch the clients eye, but they wont be readable. The Pink and the red ones convey a mild classiness (muted reds always seem elegant with that style of font) while the neutral background makes for easy reading.

    But thats, like, just my opinion man.

    Guns make you stupid. Better to fight your wars with duct tape. Duct tape makes you smart.
    3ds Friend Code: 5043-2266-3066
  • ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    couple of mes
    iIDd8.jpg
    sBevA.jpg

    second one isn't quite done

    m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    I think you are lost sir, the Yellow Submarine is that way!

    0WBv0.png
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    Those are sick projeck, the colors/shapes are incredibly well put together. I really like this new thing you've got goin' on.

    Pfffffffffflickr ||Steam: IamBic || Bnet: IamBick#1264
  • Nineteen HundredNineteen Hundred Registered User regular
    Haaands!

    hands_1.jpg

    hands_2.jpg

    There was something important here. It's gone now.
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Nineteen, those are sick.

    Another thing I'm working on.
    buffaloPrelimSML.jpg
    Desperately need a scanner.

    Prospicience on
    Pfffffffffflickr ||Steam: IamBic || Bnet: IamBick#1264
  • ShankboneShankbone Registered User regular
    I think we all miss Stephen Gammell's works
    5 minute nostalgia sketch
    SpkAH.jpg?3

    We shall see that at which dogs howl in the dark, and that at which cats prick up their ears after midnight.
  • NicNic Registered User
    Sign language.

  • lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    1900, those hands are awesome. What do the little letters mean?

  • NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    Nineteen...those are great!


    1) As a small side note, one day, I really hope to be King Penis of Fuck Mountain.

    2) No shitty anime or wolf-people, take that crap to deviant art
  • Nineteen HundredNineteen Hundred Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Thanks, guys!
    lyrium wrote: »
    1900, those hands are awesome. What do the little letters mean?

    Male and female. Had to do ten of each (there's a page missing because it was crap).

    EDIT: Also, ball point pen. Really easy to draw with. Who knew?

    Nineteen Hundred on
    There was something important here. It's gone now.
  • TamTam I hate art I love artRegistered User regular
    projeck step away from the prog rock and put your hands behind your head

  • SeraphSwordSeraphSword Registered User regular
    Very nice batch of hands there Nineteen. I'm also really enjoying the art lessons with Tam and Chico.

    My latest scribble (one layer, no ref, messing around with the soft round brush in PS):
    sk0006.jpg

    I really need to start putting some more work in on these. I just get so sleepy after working all day. Bleh.

    Mastery is the result of ceaseless error, combined with ruthless self-appraisal.
  • lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    Thanks, guys!
    lyrium wrote: »
    1900, those hands are awesome. What do the little letters mean?

    Male and female. Had to do ten of each (there's a page missing because it was crap).

    EDIT: Also, ball point pen. Really easy to draw with. Who knew?

    Ahh that explains it. A lot of the Ms look like Hs and I was like hmmm

  • hamshams Registered User regular
  • EncEnc FloridaRegistered User regular
    That's a pretty nice zombie there, hams.

    Lots of zombies lately. Is there a new zombie movie out?

    Guns make you stupid. Better to fight your wars with duct tape. Duct tape makes you smart.
    3ds Friend Code: 5043-2266-3066
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    L4D just came out with a new Big patch and new walking dead ePisodic game... But zombies are always in I think.

    Pfffffffffflickr ||Steam: IamBic || Bnet: IamBick#1264
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    What lovely hands!

    0WBv0.png
  • Faded_SneakersFaded_Sneakers Registered User regular
    I got a zombie ...


    in my pants. :shock:

    Nothing to see here.
  • PierceNeckPierceNeck Simi Valley, CARegistered User regular
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    PierceNeck wrote: »
    That's the worst place for a zombie.

    Well that depends! Are the teeth still intact?

    0WBv0.png
  • sharky tsharky t LondonRegistered User regular
    @mayday I like the pink on cream, blue on blue and orange on yellow ones.
    @hams loving that zombie!

  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Godfather wrote: »
    PierceNeck wrote: »
    That's the worst place for a zombie.

    Well that depends! Are the teeth still intact?

    hahaha /highfive

    E: since I was the last one to post.
    Buffalo Soldier
    Buffsoldier.jpg
    Still a WIP. Not sure if I should just keep it "kill", I think the buffalo bill reference might be a bit too underhanded.

    Prospicience on
    Pfffffffffflickr ||Steam: IamBic || Bnet: IamBick#1264
This discussion has been closed.