As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Game of Assholes, Season 2! The night is dark and full of spoilers

• Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    new mountain was too skinny IMO

they could fix that with bulkier armor so i'm not sure why they didn't

more like the redwood who rides

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Larlar wrote: »
    Well, I suppose it makes sense for him to wear the same equipment as all the other soldiers, as opposed to whatever he wants to wear while jousting.

The others are just Lannister men-at-arms. Clegane is a powerful landed knight and his family has its own sigil.

(I find it interesting that one of the easiest ways to tell characters apart would be tabards over their armor but they're not being used at all. Is it really that much more expensive on top of the cost of armor to whip up what is basically an oversized sideless tank top with a weird design on the front for a handful of characters?)

• Options
    Firematic.Firematic. Registered User regular
    Put Hodor in Clegane armor, CGI some faces on, problem solved!

But yeah, he is definitely a super tall dude, but not physically imposing like the Mountain is supposed to be.
    Spoiler re: appearances in book 2
    The Mountain doesn't really have a lot of page time in the book, and they already cut out some of it out so there is just Harenhall and the one battle he is in

Maybe he just becomes more of a background character for a while?

• Options
    LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Fabric is expensive. Better to use CGI tabards.

iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Well, I suppose it makes sense for him to wear the same equipment as all the other soldiers, as opposed to whatever he wants to wear while jousting.

The others are just Lannister men-at-arms. Clegane is a powerful landed knight and his family has its own sigil.

(I find it interesting that one of the easiest ways to tell characters apart would be tabards over their armor but they're not being used at all. Is it really that much more expensive on top of the cost of armor to whip up what is basically an oversized sideless tank top with a weird design on the front for a handful of characters?)

They are working in some sigils onto the clothes now. Like Stannis's dudes all have the flaming heart stag thing on their chests

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    To harp on the helmet thing again, the armor helps tell various dudes apart in the books. Gregor has a super awkward helmet that you can barely see out of because he doesn't care, his armor is too thick for him to really take any damage. Also, it has a big fist sticking off of it. So far the Hound is the only one who has retained his particular armor.
    I think an increased use of tabards or cloaks would be a nice addition, at least to help tell the actual knights from the random sellswords and whatnot. As is they all sort of look alike.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Kochikens wrote: »

BUT IT FUCKS ME UP, LARLAR. I have to remember all these new names and relations and shit
    now I gotta
    remember another actor and his new outfit???

I mean, did someone even call him The Mountain in this ep to help me out at all?

I think Arya called him the Mountain at least once.

• Options
    HyperBalladHyperBallad A ball of vivid colour and barely contained emotions Sydney. Lost in time and space.Registered User regular
    tumblr_m2xcn1lC9n1qdi5c7o5_250.gif

Steam: poetic_gecko.
    2DS/3DS Friend code 0361-7385-2366
    Twitter: @PoeticGecko
  • Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    That is
    A great looking monster,
    good job special effects crew

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    So what, 4 pages since the episode aired and nobody mentioned Roose Bolton?

What the fuck, people?

sig.gif
  • Options
    Firematic. wrote: »
    To harp on the helmet thing again, the armor helps tell various dudes apart in the books. Gregor has a super awkward helmet that you can barely see out of because he doesn't care, his armor is too thick for him to really take any damage. Also, it has a big fist sticking off of it. So far the Hound is the only one who has retained his particular armor.
    I think an increased use of tabards or cloaks would be a nice addition, at least to help tell the actual knights from the random sellswords and whatnot. As is they all sort of look alike.

Gregor has a custom ugly as sin bucket of a helmet because his head is too big for regular helmets. Which just makes him wearing the same Lannister armor as everyone else in this one even more facepalming.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Finally: I could swear the guy who gets his foot cut off was Shia LaBeouf.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Oh one other thing.

(early book 3)
    I actually really like the idea that Littlefinger is the one that planted the idea to trade Jaime for the girls in Catelyn's mind. It's a nice bit of table-setting that justifies what happens later on. Littlefinger was being himself far more than previously this season. Ironically, that means he was lying to Cat and manipulating her. Heh.

Also the Ros scene in this one is by far the best Ros scene so far. For a fleeting moment I thought Joffrey was gonna kill her and that would be the end of that, but it couldn't be quite that simple, could it.

sig.gif
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    So what, 4 pages since the episode aired and nobody mentioned Roose Bolton?

What the fuck, people?

He, uh, wasn't even in the episode was he?

• Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    he's so soft spoken not even the audience noticed him

(he was talking to robb)

• Options
    ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    he was in it for about twenty seconds

talking to robb before the leg-cutting begins, about hostages and war and other ruthless stuff bolton likes

thenews.jpg
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Who was that talking with Robb about a flayed man having no secrets then?

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    That was Roose Bolton.

• Options
    Oh shit

I wondered who the hell that was

Damn, well done

• Options
    I noticed Roose Bolton immediately.

"Naked men have few secrets, but flayed men have none."

• Options
    I was like "wait so who's this guy why did they just use a random schmoe to have a conversation with Robb"

and then he mentioned flaying and I was like "oh, OH, RIGHT"

sig.gif
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I figured he was Roose before he mentioned flaying.

Because he looked exactly how I pictured him from the books.

• Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    having never even heard of the books, let alone read them, watching this series is kind of boring. Not gonna lie, it isn't terrible.

But I can tell that a large percentage of what is implied goes right over my head because I don't have like 14 books of lore stored up in my head like everyone else.

Like all this Ros business. I couldn't even tell you who she is. I know she's one fo the whores but they all seem to run together and it isn't as though a whole lot of time has been spent trying to build the characters up past "ohhh, look. whores"

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Stale wrote: »
    having never even heard of the books, let alone read them, watching this series is kind of boring. Not gonna lie, it isn't terrible.

But I can tell that a large percentage of what is implied goes right over my head because I don't have like 14 books of lore stored up in my head like everyone else.

Like all this Ros business. I couldn't even tell you who she is. I know she's one fo the whores but they all seem to run together and it isn't as though a whole lot of time has been spent trying to build the characters up past "ohhh, look. whores"

Ironically, Ros isn't in the books at all

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    Ros is a character made for the show, and it's apparent

maybe they have something planned for her, but i'm not getting my hopes up

that aside, as fun as the show has been, it's difficult to separate out what's actually good in the show and what i'm filling in in my head

i had a feeling that people who hadn't read the books might find it a little hard to follow or just paced strangely

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I think the first season was a little better about being non-book-fan friendly than this one is so far.

Mostly because sooner or later there gets to be so many different threads running at the same time that it seems to turn to mush in the show as far as pacing.

Also afraid the changes they do make to make it more viewer friendly might alienate some other fans of the books.

But so far this season has been merely alright compared to the first season.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    People who read the books know about all the "cool stuff" moments from the characters and whatnot, so that does taint things.
    But without that, yeah, there haven't been a lot of those cool stuff moments in these episodes. The shadow baby was good, but even with the stuff getting cut there is an awful lot of setting up to be done. I'm assuming it will go back to being awesome when some things start actually happening, rather than a lot of "this is why this dude is like this".

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Actually Stale, everyone who read the books is right there with you, as Ros is kind of a shit character made up especially for the show. She's the Exposition Whore, there to give us tits to look at while they squeeze in backstory or character development that they can't figure out a way to fit naturally into the story.

• Options
    what honestly baffled me last night was why the fuck she didn't just pop her dragons out of the baskets?

I mean... what the fuck bitch? Show them off. Gain power. Stop being a spoiled little twat.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    I think it was because the dragons are super tiny? Although she only had like a suitcase they could have been in so I'm not sure if that was the reason.

• Options
  • Options
    unless the dragons aren't real and it's all a shared delusion

which sounds like a plot device and wouldn't surprise me

did I just ruin the show?

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    And pacing is probably the most difficult thing for this series to pull off on TV

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    what honestly baffled me last night was why the fuck she didn't just pop her dragons out of the baskets?

I mean... what the fuck bitch? Show them off. Gain power. Stop being a spoiled little twat.

It was fear. She's literally their mother, so she's overprotective of them since they're still small.

Goose! on
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    unless the dragons aren't real and it's all a shared delusion

which sounds like a plot device and wouldn't surprise me

did I just ruin the show?

I'm pretty sure just guessing correctly still counts as a spoiler

Hobnail on
  • Options
    ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    she didn't pop them out because CGI is expensive

there are ways to explain the character's reasoning but that's the only one that really matters

thenews.jpg
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Arang wrote: »
    she didn't pop them out because CGI is expensive

there are ways to explain the character's reasoning but that's the only one that really matters

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/feb/02/business/la-fi-0203-time-warner-earns-20110202

• Options
    Oddly enough I don't even recognize Ros in all the scenes she is in. Like who was she in this episode? The girl that got beaten? Or the girl who did the beating?

• Options
    Galy wrote: »
    Goose! wrote: »

It was fear. She's literally their mother, so she's overprotective of them since they're still small.

I saw it as Dany keeping her hand close to her chest instead of laying all her cards on the table up front. She maintains her leverage by not revealing the dragons right away.

I don't know about that. She looked fearful, but then steeled herself to deliver the "we're gonna come back here and burn your city down" speech.

• Options
    GalyGaly Registered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »

I saw it as Dany keeping her hand close to her chest instead of laying all her cards on the table up front. She maintains her leverage by not revealing the dragons right away.

mustache w/ hat c|:{