As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Superman vs Goku: Who would win??

• Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    isn't that just like

spider-man's costume, but a lot of it is black now

kinda sorta

but that's alex ross's problem

i will say this: the miles morales suit looks kiiiiiinda like that but not and it actually works really well

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    If we take into account that Soulja Boy says he looks like Goku, and "Supermans" hos

What conclusion can we draw from this

Clearly he has Super Sayian Swagger

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    You know who's great?

Stuart Immonen.

Dude had flaws. Was really, really good, but he had flaws. Too slow, for instance.

So. He totally revised his style. And it's also really good in totally different ways.

Compare Superman: Secret Identity to Nextwave. He killed on both, but they look as different as Swan V. Kirby.

Know what sucks?

The Power Pack mini from 2000.

(It really, really sucked.)

• Options
    immonen and bagley are both great

i love oeming because his work on Powers has that weird pseudo DCAU look but the rest of his stuff doesn't

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I can't stand Bagley. Dude can only draw three faces, and basically two emotions.

• Options
    your mother can only draw half a face

owned

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    dat burn

so sick I have cancer

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    hahaha

i just started following goku on twitter

• Options
    Link

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I just don't feel enough attention is going to how much the 2000 Power Pack mini sucked.

Just as a general thing.

Because that really, really sucked.

Maybe people are confusing it with the Gurihiru stuff, which was good?

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Wandering IdiotWandering Idiot Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

Ha, pink shirt avatar. I approve.

One of my favorite things about Vegeta is that they didn't even have to exaggerate his character much for DBZ Abridged; he's kind of hilarious as it is.

Also, it's times like this I wish I wasn't agnostic, so I could be sure you're all going to Hell for keeping this thread going so long.

Wandering Idiot on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    I just don't feel enough attention is going to how much the 2000 Power Pack mini sucked.

Just as a general thing.

I thought you were talking about the Gurihiru stuff, and I was going to be cross

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Also, it's times like this I wish I wasn't agnostic, so I could be sure you're all going to HFIL for keeping this thread going so long.

• Options
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

Just as a general thing.

I thought you were talking about the Gurihiru stuff, and I was going to be cross

Oh, never.

Gurihiru stuff is boss as all get out. Art's gorgeous, Sumerak and Van Lente did writing that's totally appropriate for kids without talking down to them, the balance between standalone issues and a continuing arc for the whole mini is good every time

Which is good, since the previous stuff was so incredibly bad. I mean, the art wasn't good, the basic writing was bad, the characterization was awful.

A central part of the plot was Jack wanting to puss out in the middle of an alien war to help their sick mother.

Jack. The guy whose central motivation in life is generally punching dudes, and who was still gung-ho last time his mom was in critical condition at the hospital is the voice of "let's quit superheroing! I do not like punching people all the time!"

Also, they killed off Bhadsha, changed Jackal from a mama's boy whose last act was redemption into a generic baddie, had Katie be super smart for no adequately explained reason...

It's no wonder the internet more or less refuses to acknowledge it.

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBEPZ4aVQYc
    This is the ONLY time I have ever listened to a song and right away, I had to get my camera out and record a reaction. This is a rant, not a full review, so I am sorry if its not to your liking.

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    superman vs. mr. huge, who would win

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    po

ke

mon

vs digimon

No wonder I was wallowing in a pool of my own misery a week ago

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBEPZ4aVQYc
    This is the ONLY time I have ever listened to a song and right away, I had to get my camera out and record a reaction. This is a rant, not a full review, so I am sorry if its not to your liking.
    hahaha this fucking guy

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    that's me by the way

• Options
    LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    We've known that for quite some time.

iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    and you guys still think I'm cool?

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    even cooler

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    superman vs. mr. huge, who would win

his bigness is perfection

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    I don't want to get too down on Ross because he's a super-talented guy

but yes

he's definitely got areas he could improve in

Like maybe not making his male characters look like sorta doughy middle-aged dudes

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Oh, rad

Arkham City is getting a Game of the Year edition that includes all previous DLC and new story content called Harley Quinn's Revenge (which will be available to buy standalone as well)

"The HQR mission will see players swap between Batman and Robin as they "uncover Harley's vengeful plan and shut the gates on the urban mega-prison forever" against a redesigned Harley and her new gang of underlings."

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Oh man, I still gotta beat that. Think I'm near the end too.

I tried marathoning the first one to a 100% before I started the second and lost all my focus after 60 or so hours of Batmaning.

I didn't think it was possible to overload on Batman but I think I managed to find a way.

• Options
    ugh harley

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    Gwen Stacy's death

Gwen Stacy's death was the end of the Silver Age

and there has been way darker things since

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    MISTAH JAAAAY

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
  • Options
    People tend to forget that modern Superman is significantly less powerful than he was decades ago.

For a long time now, Superman, while being one of the most powerful superheroes on earth, has not been anywhere near godlike. He can no longer move planets around casually, he no longer has a billion powers, he can no longer reverse time by flying really fast. He is far from untouchable.

You don't need to be magic to hurt Superman. You don't need kryptonite to hurt Superman. You just need to have super strength or another strong ability. It does not take a God to give him a challenge. There are other characters as fast or faster, other characters as strong or stronger.

Meanwhile, DBZ is fucking crazy. In the very first arc, a dude decides the moon is inconvenient, so he shoots a beam from his finger up into space effortlessly, and blows it the hell up. And this takes nothing out of him. Modern Superman isn't going to zap the moon with his heat vision once and explode it. Meanwhile, the main characters all have comparative super speed and super strength from pretty much the beginning, and projectile attacks capable of incredible devastation. And it just gets stupider and more ridiculous as it goes on. It is a fair fight at best if you're going with Vegeta-arc Goku. Anything later than that and modern Supes doesn't stand much of a chance.

And that's a good thing. The fact that Superman can be challenged by regular villains and situations and can't just beat everyone with god powers is a positive, and one of the biggest reasons why the massive power-down after the silver age is good for the character.

In the early 2000s, Superman killed a star eating Super-planet in one page, practically with ease, and then saved the world from a global ice age with a single blast from his heat vision in the second. Not that long ago, Johns wrote a story about him taking Supernova blasts in the Red Sunlight Spectrum (that he is weak to!) and being fine. He can hold singularities. He wrestled an angel.

He's fucking Superman. He has fought things that can literally control time and space, and beaten them. Sure Goku might be stronger in raw power, but Superman is always going to beat him because Superman can beat anyone. That's the point.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Antimatter wrote: »
    Gwen Stacy's death

Gwen Stacy's death was the end of the Silver Age

and there has been way darker things since

when DC coined the term "fridging", for example

• Options
    solar I don't think you know

goku also beats everyone

hell the only reason there was any real conflict in the cell/buu arcs is because goku was half-assing it because he wanted somebody else to step up and save the world for a change

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    [Mort] Weisinger, a couple of years ago, made up the following story:
    "Isaac Asimov was asked how Superman could fly faster than the speed of light, which was supposed to be an absolute limit. To this Asimov replied, 'That the speed of light is a limit is a theory; that Superman can travel faster than light is a fact.'"

I assure you it never happened and I never said it, but it will be repeated, I am quite certain, indefinitely, and it will probably be found in Bartlett's quotations a century from now, attributed to me, after all my writings have been forgotten.
    just saw this quote

i giggled

• Options

goku also beats everyone

hell the only reason there was any real conflict in the cell/buu arcs is because goku was half-assing it because he wanted somebody else to step up and save the world for a change

Superman has beaten more dudes though

his pedigree is better

• Options
    unfair, superman has been around for like a hundred years

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

goku also beats everyone

I like superman more though

which is all that matters

2x39jD4.jpg
This discussion has been closed.