As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[chat]!

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I wonder if someone already modded 3D Sexvilla so it has gay men in it.

The internet should be able to answer this question very easily.

Huh, would you look at that. Someone did do it.

By the way, you said I should read Moonrise first out of all the Grand Tour books, right? About to buy one.

The Grand Tour series are loosely connected but Moonrise and Moonwar are a good start though. If you want to keep to that series move to the Silent War afterwards.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    I am going to go home and eat the universe.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Anyone interested in that recent announcement about a new company (Planetary Resources) looking into asteroid mining (eventually) should check this out:

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2012/04/24/breaking-private-company-does-indeed-plan-to-mine-asteroids-and-i-think-they-can-do-it/#more-47859

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I have a comp puter question. My sister's boyfriend dropped her laptop and i recovered the HDD. Is there anyway to legally transfer Microsoft Word and Power Point and such from her old laptop HDD to her new one?

Mac or Windows?

Mac - you can just drag and drop the application folder from one HD to the other.
    Windows - you need an installation disc or digital download installer

Whether either of these are "legal" depends entirely on the license you have

but I'm guessing that she no longer has the original license key, in which case both of these methods are illegal

which is why people need to keep their software licenses in a safe place

:bz

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    I have a comp puter question. My sister's boyfriend dropped her laptop and i recovered the HDD. Is there anyway to legally transfer Microsoft Word and Power Point and such from her old laptop HDD to her new one?

Does she not have the install media and product keys?

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »

Mac or Windows?

Mac - you can just drag and drop the application folder from one HD to the other.
    Windows - you need an installation disc or digital download installer

Whether either of these are "legal" depends entirely on the license you have

but I'm guessing that she no longer has the original license key, in which case both of these methods are illegal

which is why people need to keep their software licenses in a safe place

are you sure about that on the mac side?

I had an option to import all my shit from my old mac to my new mac and it installed all my programs and whatnot

Also, Connecticut apparently passed a bill that lets you sue the cops if they arrest you for filming them in public? Kinda sucks a law had to be made for that but at least one state has one.

Sarksus wrote: »

Does she not have the install media and product keys?

I am glad that we are inching toward a future where it is like

what the fuck do I care what the key is

you have it in your records that I bought this shit

I will redownload it from your servers whenever I want

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    BTW the question

"can you transfer Microsoft Office over to the new hard drive? I don't have the CD"

makes computer techs want to stab you in the face

so you can tell your sister there's somebody on the internet who wants to stab her in the face

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

edited April 2012

Yes.

Well, mostly.

You need to keep proof of ownership for your commercial software.

Usually this is a certificate of authenticity with the license key.

Or it can also be a proof of purchase.

Or a relationship certificate.

It can be paper or it can be a digital copy.

But if you don't have some proof of ownership, whichever method you use to transfer software from one HD to the other is illegal.

The transfer method has absolutely nothing to do with legality.

Feral on

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    what are they mining asteroids for? PGMs?

fuck gendered marketing
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    I just had dinner with some friends with babby, jeez, talk about hard work for those guys. Still, good fun I guess

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Oh, gah. This variable is normally distributed but its variance isn't constant over time, that's why it's messing up.

aRkpc.gif
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    Also, Connecticut apparently passed a bill that lets you sue the cops if they arrest you for filming them in public? Kinda sucks a law had to be made for that but at least one state has one.

Can't you sue the police if they arrest you without grounds anyway?

Elldren wrote: »

Well initially they are building and sending up many small telescopes (like 16" in size) that can observe asteroids from earth orbit and also scoot over to them using a small rocket motor (doesn't take much thrust to move a scope that small).

Then working on robotic mining of near earth asteroids for volitiles like water (since it is not compressible, it costs upwards of $20,000 per liter to bring water into space from earth). Water and other volitiles will be collected in space and can be used there by future missions or sold to NASA or others.

Long term looking at mining stuff like platinum which is hell of abundant in many asteroids to bring back to earth.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    Babies :(

HlTh3.gif

Yes.

Well, mostly.

You need to keep proof of ownership for your commercial software.

Usually this is a certificate of authenticity with the license key.

Or it can also be a proof of purchase.

Or a relationship certificate.

It can be paper or it can be a digital copy.

But if you don't have some proof of ownership, whichever method you use to transfer software from one HD to the other is illegal.

The transfer method has absolutely nothing to do with legality.

hmm

i wonder how apple gets away with the program that basically replicates your old mac on the new one, with settings and programs and shit

Recovered the HDD how? It's sitting on your desk right now? Make a bit-for-bit copy.

aRkpc.gif
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    my cat is back from having a tumor removed

surgery went well, and the biopsy results aren't in, but it's looking like it's cancer

Leitner wrote: »

Can't you sue the police if they arrest you without grounds anyway?

Over here our rights in this respect are...ambiguous.

man fuck this there are like 9 episodes of baby story on my dvr

• Disco TerrierDisco Terrier Jowls aquiver. Registered User regular
    Sarksus WTF.

That doesn't make any good to the world :(

yGxvf.png
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Elendil wrote: »
    surgery went well, and the biopsy results aren't in, but it's looking like it's cancer

That sucks. :( Cats are apparently very cancer-prone.

I have a purring April on the desk right now. *headbutts*

Wow, cute little 16" diameter telescopes?

KAWAII.

16" for the entire craft, not just the mirror (which is 9"). These are actually being manufactured now to be launched next year.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!

KAWAII.

edited April 2012
    i wonder how apple gets away with the program that basically replicates your old mac on the new one, with settings and programs and shit

Backup and restoration and imaging and cloning and deployment are all fully legal operations (as long as your software is properly licensed) and the presumption is that most people are just legally transferring software they fully own from one computer to another with the intent of wiping the old computer.

I'm not trying to be pedantic here, which is why I tried to answer the question simply. Mac - drag and drop application folder. Windows - reinstall from disc or installer. Keep your software safe from now on.

Feral on

Backup and restoration and imaging and cloning and deployment are all fully legal operations (as long as your software is properly licensed) and the presumption is that most people are just legally transferring software they fully own from one computer to another with the intent of wiping the old computer.

I'm not trying to be pedantic here, which is why I tried to answer the question simply. Mac - drag and drop application folder. Windows - reinstall from disc or installer. Keep your software safe from now on.

but that is what he is talking about?

transferring a program from the old computer to her new one

HlTh3.gif

Looks like they're sexing chicks

fuck gendered marketing

KAWAII.

16" for the entire craft, not just the mirror (which is 9"). These are actually being manufactured now to be launched next year.

That's so small! What kind of telescopes are they.

I just read about them myself. This is about all I know:
    The first is to make a series of small space telescopes to observe and characterize asteroids. Lewicki said the first of these is the Arkyd 101, a 22 cm (9″) telescope in low-Earth orbit that will be aboard a tiny spacecraft just 40 x 40 cm (16″) in size. It can hitch a ride with other satellites being placed in orbit, sharing launch costs and saving money (an idea that will come up again and again in their plans). This telescope will be used both to look for and observe known Near-Earth asteroids, and can also be pointed down to Earth for remote sensing operations.

I’ll note Lewicki said they expect to launch the first of these telescopes by the end of next year, 2013. They’re already building them (what’s referred to as “cutting metal”). They could launch on already-existing rockets — an Atlas or Delta, for example, Europe’s Ariane, India’s GSLV, or Space X’s Falcon 9.

After that, once they’re flight-tested, more of these small spacecraft can be launched equipped with rocket motors. If they hitch a ride with a satellite destined for a 40,000 km (24,000 mile) geosynchronous orbit, the motor can be used to take the telescope — now a space probe — out of Earth orbit and set on course for a pre-determined asteroid destination. Technical bit: orbital velocity at geosync is about 3 km/sec, so only about an additional 1 km/sec is needed to send a probe away from Earth, easily within the capability of a small motor attached to a light-weight probe.

Many asteroids pass close to the Earth with a low enough velocity that one of these probes could reach them. Heck, some are easier to reach in that sense than the Moon! Any asteroid-directed probe can be equipped with sensors to make detailed observations, including composition. It could even be designed to land on the asteroid and return samples back to Earth, or leave when the observations are complete and head off to observe more asteroids up close and personal

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2012/04/24/breaking-private-company-does-indeed-plan-to-mine-asteroids-and-i-think-they-can-do-it/

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!

KAWAII.

That's so small! What kind of telescopes are they.

i guess i do not understand the diff

Well initially they are building and sending up many small telescopes (like 16" in size) that can observe asteroids from earth orbit and also scoot over to them using a small rocket motor (doesn't take much thrust to move a scope that small).

Then working on robotic mining of near earth asteroids for volitiles like water (since it is not compressible, it costs upwards of $20,000 per liter to bring water into space from earth). Water and other volitiles will be collected in space and can be used there by future missions or sold to NASA or others.

Long term looking at mining stuff like platinum which is hell of abundant in many asteroids to bring back to earth.

Yeah

PGM = Platinum Group Metals which are hella rare on earth's crust (presumably they're much more common in earth's core but it's much much easier to get to an asteroid)

fuck gendered marketing
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod

I say this with a completely straight face: OSX has a way superior solution for applications. Nearly all of them are entirely self-contained in one single file (technically, it's a folder, with the binary plus all resources it needs in it), instead of crapping files all over the system.

Configuration? That's all in a PList file, stored in ~/Application Data/App Name/.

Echo wrote: »

I say this with a completely straight face: OSX has a way superior solution for applications. Nearly all of them are entirely self-contained in one single file (technically, it's a folder, with the binary plus all resources it needs in it), instead of crapping files all over the system.

Configuration? That's all in a PList file, stored in ~/Application Data/App Name/.

I know it is soooo much better

fuck gendered marketing
    Echo wrote: »

Oh, yeah, totally. And you don't get into ridiculous DLL conflicts.

Well, you don't with Windows 7 either, but that's because Windows 7 keeps separate DLL repositories in the Windows folder for different versions of installed applications which is the most ass-backwards way of handling a very simple problem.

• tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular

HlTh3.gif

Looks like they're sexing chicks

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    @21stCentury

no, seriously, bit-for-bit copy. When it's up and running on a separate partition, use something like this, or just accept the restored system as-is.

how i bit for bit copy?

edited April 2012
    @21stCentury

no, seriously, bit-for-bit copy. When it's up and running on a separate partition, use something like this, or just accept the restored system as-is.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
    edited April 2012
    This is the coolest part to me:
    Step 2
    Once a suitable asteroid is found, the idea is not to mine it right away for precious metals to return to Earth, Lewicki told me, but instead to tap it for volatiles — materials with low boiling points such as water, oxygen, nitrogen, and so on, which also happen to be critical supplies for use in space.
    The idea behind this is to gather these materials up and create in situ space supply depots. Water is very heavy and incompressible, so it’s very difficult to launch from Earth into space (Lewicki quoted a current price of roughly $20,000 per liter to get water into space). But water should be abundant on some asteroids, locked up in minerals or even as ice, and in theory it shouldn’t be difficult to collect it and create a depot. Future astronauts can then use these supplies to enable longer stays in space — the depots could be put in Earthbound trajectories for astronauts, or could be placed in strategic orbits for future crewed missions to asteroids. Lewicki didn’t say specifically, but these supplies could be sold to NASA — Planetary Resources would make quite a bit money while saving NASA quite a bit. Win-win.
    The details of exactly how they’ll collect these resources and store them may be revealed in the press conference Tuesday. If I can, I’ll ask.

Sarksus on
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular

KAWAII.

Hello Kitty laser etchings on barrel??

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
This discussion has been closed.