As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Tribes] Ascend: Everything for one purchase price, 6 maps, shielded assests, SHOCKLANCE!

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Yeah, giving MA badges to the Plasma doesn't seem right to me either.

Right now the plasma definitely seems over tuned. If they want the speed of the projectile and the hitbox to be that big they should probably shave 100 damage off of the weapon. The end result is that it would take one more direct hit to kill each armor class. The clip size is also overly generous, probably cut it down to 5. From there maybe just some tiny tweaks to projectile size and speed. The core concept is solid, but the numbers are too high.

Now to talk about the other weapons that came in this update, which seem to be getting ignored. The new SMG seems to be a true sidegrade to me. The lower rate of fire is a pretty big drawback, but the increased damage is nice, and scoping is situationally useful. Honestly it just comes down to preference, personally i prefer the old SMG, the rapid fire makes it better for dueling other SMGers (harder to juke the shots) and tag people that are going really fast. But, I can see some people quite liking the new SMG.

And then the cluster grenade. This thing seems pretty bad to me. Maybe it's good indoors? I have to admit I haven't tried it indoors, but for how I like to play raider it seems rather bad. The issue for me is that the secondary grenades seem to fully inherit the momentum of the grenade. This means on a lot of flag stands if I am coming in quickly the initial explosion will be on the stand and the secondary grenades will sail clear off the stand and explode in the middle of nowhere. With some practice I could try landing the grenade before the stand so the secondary explosions land on the stand but, not all stands permit this though. When it comes to clearing stands the EMP just seems better to me. They inherit very little momentum which makes them very easy to drop on the flag stand as you soar overhead, and they do their damage where you want it (on the stand), and drain energy. Whiteouts work quite differently from both, and are probably better for organized play but, whiteouts are too hard to coordinate on pub servers.

Ultimately, in the long run, I don't see myself using a single weapon from the new raider pack over my current loadout (GL, NJ4, EMP). The plasma is a great dueling weapon (and will still be a solid dueling weapon after some tweaks) but dueling people isn't why I play the Raider. The plasma has one huge disadvantage and that is that the rounds from it have very little impulse. That's great for chain MAing someone, but when it comes to clearing the stand it's miserable. (Also not being able to disc jump with it is a decent drawback). I don't have time to try to kill two plus heavies and other flag guards with the plasma rifle, my flag runner doesn't have all day to wait. But what I can do is spam five grenades on to the stand and let the explosions disrupt the defenders. I've walked HoFs off of the flag stand before with a chain of grenades. You can't do something like that with the plasma rifle. So while the plasma rifle is probably too good at killing people right now, that doesn't matter a whole lot to me because killing people isn't even my goal, having a clear flagstand is.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    PsykusPsykus Registered User regular
    Had some great moments playing CTF the other night as Pathfinder. Shining moment was making a flag grab at full speed when they had a barrier/wall in front of the flag, managed to jet precisely over it and drop down enough to make the grab without losing speed.

Definitely hooked on this game now, Only wish there was some option to pay some "full price" like $50 and bypass the silly unlock system altogether. The 30/10 day XP booster packs sound appealing, can you really get enough XP to unlock most things in the game with them?

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    My favorite thing is to make a run on the flag stand before a teammate has captured the flag and just as I'm about to hit the stand it's captured and I grab it again. I feel psychic!

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Glal wrote: »
    Winning every game as MVP versus relying on your team to even win to begin with, then competing with them all for the spot? Quite a difference. Re: money, people pay money for EXP boosters, this is exactly the same concept except you don't even need to put effort to get the EXP.

[edit] You have a team? That's nice. Most people don't.
    Are you suggesting getting MVP is easier when you have to take turns with your friends, rather than getting it by stomping pubbies in real games? Because I would have to disagree. Especially if you have a few friends helping you out.

And yes, people pay real money for EXP boosters, which probably has a similar effect. Why not let people enjoy their private servers and put up with a few crazy dedicated people who want to do silly things to farm XP if you're already letting people buy XP? All you're doing is punishing people who legitimately want to play with their friends. The farmer people can still take their dummy accounts and fill up a public server.
    Haha, a few people, right. Paragon have been nerfing Mission Architect in City of Heroes since it's come out and people are still (ab)using it for resources. Not a few people, everyone. Essentially, if it can be exploited? It will. And given that HiRez make money off people too impatient to slowly work up EXP to unlock weapons they're not exactly jumping at the idea of cutting their own throat just so a few people stop whinging. It's not a question of what can or can't be done, just a question of ease. Is it easier to get guaranteed EXP on a private server? Yes? Then people will do that. I imagine you'd end up with a bunch of people chipping in pennies each to rent a room for a week, then each taking turn "winning" over and over.
    Plus, you've said it yourself, if you want to make EXP just make a group and go stomp pubbies, you don't need private servers for that.

Glal on
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I'll ask again since no one responded. Are you lovely people interested in having a custom server set up? I'm willing to do it, but only if there is interest in it.

• Options
    Sarksus wrote: »
    My favorite thing is to make a run on the flag stand before a teammate has captured the flag and just as I'm about to hit the stand it's captured and I grab it again. I feel psychic!

Oh shit. I love that so much! I had a double psychic moment two nights ago where I grabbed the flag right when we captured it and then capped it right when we retrieved the flag after it was taken.

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »

Oh shit. I love that so much! I had a double psychic moment two nights ago where I grabbed the flag right when we captured it and then capped it right when we retrieved the flag after it was taken.

Yup, the latter happened to me once too. Jetted up to our flag stand to cap and assumed somebody would return our flag in time and it worked.

• Options
    sliver911sliver911 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I'll ask again since no one responded. Are you lovely people interested in having a custom server set up? I'm willing to do it, but only if there is interest in it.

My god yes. A custom server would be pretty awesome. Do it.

It's too bad that if you password the server you can't gain XP! *Rage spit at HiRez*

Edit - please provide the details of the server when your set up, because I'd love to jump on and play with you chaps ASAP

sliver911 on
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    Yeah lack of XP on pw-servers is super lame.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Eh, I can understand it. Can totally see people just sitting around and farming each other for XP instead of playing the game in a private server.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Wouldn't it take roughly the same amount of time? .. and be boring as hell

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    This gold/XP bullshit really turns me off. Instead of forcing you to unlock everything, Tribes was so open to modding that you could join 8 different servers and play 8 different games with 15 different guns in each game. But instead of that we get a game where you can't even have private matches without gimping your progression.

• Options
    sliver911 wrote: »

My god yes. A custom server would be pretty awesome. Do it.

It's too bad that if you password the server you can't gain XP! *Rage spit at HiRez*

Edit - please provide the details of the server when your set up, because I'd love to jump on and play with you chaps ASAP

Anyone know if most of us Tribesers are on the west or east coast? I'm guessing east...

• Options
    Okay. It's up. In the grand tradition of G&T, it is called "[PA] The Angry Dome". I currently have it set to do CTF with all maps in rotation and Naked Spawn enabled. For those that don't know what Naked Spawn is, it means you spawn in basic armor (Pathfinder, Soldier, Jugg) and you have to visit an inventory station to kit out.

• Options
    Also, I saw someone mentioned setting up a dedicated voice chat server for Tribes. Did anyone do that? If not, would you guys mind using Mumble over Vent?

• Options
    A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    Can't find the server. Hmm.

What's your TA name?

PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    LambdaKnight

• Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    So uh, I guess all those years of tournament level UT have been paying off. I am typically on the top of the list for points in either TDM or CTF. I love the Juggernaut so much, that it's all I play. I don't mind the limited mobility as much since I've gotten skiing down pretty well and besides, with the massive health and the right perks, I can let an opponent get a few licks in while I blow him to smithereens with the Spinfusor MKD. I do need to work with the grenade launcher though. People being able to time far off lobs is amazing and I am just not there yet.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Wow, the plasma gun is insane. If you know anything about leading shots a hit is practically guaranteed at short/mid range. Something about it needs a nerf, be it the damage, radius, firing speed, whatever. Balance aside, I'm a little unclear on why it's a Raider gun, it doesn't seem to fit their role. It's pretty much a straight deathmatch killing machine.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    Wow, the plasma gun is insane. If you know anything about leading shots a hit is practically guaranteed at short/mid range. Something about it needs a nerf, be it the damage, radius, firing speed, whatever. Balance aside, I'm a little unclear on why it's a Raider gun, it doesn't seem to fit their role. It's pretty much a straight deathmatch killing machine.

I'd say it works just as well as the ARX for base destruction, and the Raider was always a pretty good duelist thanks to the whiteout grenade.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    SensationalSensational Registered User regular
    I'll say this about the plasma gun. I don't recall getting two midairs in a row on one guy before he lands with a snipfusor or thumper. In my first game with the plasma gun I managed three.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    I'll say this about the plasma gun. I don't recall getting two midairs in a row on one guy before he lands with a snipfusor or thumper. In my first game with the plasma gun I managed three.

Honestly, I think it's the speed of it that makes it easy to mid air, I mean sure the hit radius is too big, but more often than not I end out with direct hits and not sort of flakey off to the side shouldn't hit but does hits. It's like the projectile speed perfectly matches the speed at which you need to track a target, the spinfuser is almost too fast most of the time meaning they are never in a position to fall into it unless you do it perfectly, the low speed of the plasma makes it so you can lead them into it easily.

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    No... no it's pretty definitely the massively generous hitbox.

• Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    Okay. It's up. In the grand tradition of G&T, it is called "[PA] The Angry Dome". I currently have it set to do CTF with all maps in rotation and Naked Spawn enabled. For those that don't know what Naked Spawn is, it means you spawn in basic armor (Pathfinder, Soldier, Jugg) and you have to visit an inventory station to kit out.

Question for naked spawn if anyone knows.
    Do you start with guns for whichever of those armours you spawn in?
    Is it what your current kit for that class has, or the basic equipment.

• Options

Question for naked spawn if anyone knows.
    Do you start with guns for whichever of those armours you spawn in?
    Is it what your current kit for that class has, or the basic equipment.

Naked spawn means you spawn as a Pathfinder w/ Spinfusor, Shotgun and Energy Pack. (no grenades)

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    This gold/XP bullshit really turns me off. Instead of forcing you to unlock everything, Tribes was so open to modding that you could join 8 different servers and play 8 different games with 15 different guns in each game. But instead of that we get a game where you can't even have private matches without gimping your progression.

Yeah, but this point shrinks to insignificance in my mind when I consider how much fun i've had for free. Plus, you can still play the old games if you want.

Besides, why would we want a passworded server? I doubt there'd be enough PA people to fill it up (the BF3 servers are almost always empty without passwords) most of the time and if a PA wanted to get on then they could request a kick in vent, assuming mods can do that.

By the way, this game is fun as hell, even when everyone else is terrible - almost always - I could spent all day skiing around at high speed and the thrill of just about getting away from chasers with the flag is awesome.

Jimmy Marku on
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Well, I just discovered how powerful the starting heavy class can be when playing on the arx novena map. Or whatever the countryside and aqueducts map is. I just stood on one of the buildings and kept shelling the enemy base. I easily got enough points to call in an inventory station nearby, and so I just blew up so much. Got about 16 of those artillery badges. There were times were I killed the enemy flag-runner about a metre before his flag stand, and it was just quite fun. And noone could be bothered to come and get me. I mean, normally when I see an enemy doing this on a map, I will immediately go and at the very least attempt to take them down or drive them away, because shelling the base wrecks people's stuff. But noone bothered for a while, and when they did, they didn't even bother to destroy the inventory station, or hold the ground for a little bit, so I could just go back immediately after spawning.

Ah pubs. We should try and get a PA server running at some point so that we can have a somewhat consistently competent group of players to play against.

• Options
    A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    12 posts above yours.

I'll sticky it in the OP.

PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    Do you have your upgrades for your naked class?

And the server can be found in the sneak preview server thing, can't it?

• Options
    I dont think it includes any upgrades when you spawn in that default class.

Yeah, it can be found under "Play Now>Customer Servers." You have to make sure you're filtering by US-West though.

PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    Excellent. Thank you very much.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    this game is fully matchmade right?

i just stomped my first 3 games having never played tribes before and that seems seriously wrong unless i was being matched in the kiddy pool

they were level 10 odd

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    BoogdudBoogdud Registered User regular
    Fully matchmade? I don't think there is any matchmaking at all. You probably just got on a team that had a few coordinated players. Most of the time that's all it takes.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    weird, i just picked my location and it put me in a game

oh well

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    nah, there's definitely kiddie pool matchmaking

once you get to level 6 or so you go into the general population though, or so it seems

also, wake me or change the thread title or something when they nerf the plasma gun. Getting into a game where like six dudes have that thing isn't much fun

I saw a guy just now who had 16 midairs

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Everyone up to rank 6 plays together. Everyone above rank 6 plays together. That's all there is for the "matchmaking". Kind of unfortunate, honestly.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    CrewMember169CrewMember169 Registered User regular
    Can't believe how many times I have been hit in midair with the plasma gun. I hope a nerf is incoming.

• Options
    testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    Enig wrote: »
    Everyone up to rank 6 plays together. Everyone above rank 6 plays together. That's all there is for the "matchmaking". Kind of unfortunate, honestly.

That explains why right around rank 7 I started getting the unholy hell kicked out of me on a perpetual basis.
    I miss the small pond...

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Enig wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm hoping that as the population grows they segment the matchmaking ranks more. I imagine they left them pretty side just to keep queue times down in the beta.

• Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    My response to the plasma gun is to become a gen-camping Infiltrator whore. Because indoors, where I can stealth around and blow you up with my Jackal before you can react? Try and midair that.

My teams started winning a lot more when the enemy generator is down 90% of the time.

The Jackal only started feeling overpowered when I figured out how to properly utilize the stealth pack. Now it's just brutal. You can be in your base unmolested for three minutes and bam, dead out of nowhere. And if you come try to repair your generator you're blown up again.

I might go back to soldiering/jugging after the plasma gun gets fixed, but damn if Infiltrator isn't the most fun I've had in a game in forever.

Edit: and mastered out Survivalist with the stealth pack is retarded. Every time someone dies in the gen room it's free stealth for me.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png