As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Camera Dump

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    canada (ontario specifically but especially Toronto) is great, you insensitive clod!

he's probably crying because he might eventually have to leave

and visit you

you jerk

Brolo on
  • Options
    ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    Rolo wrote: »
    canada (ontario specifically but especially Toronto) is great, you insensitive clod!

he's probably crying because he might eventually have to leave

and visit you

you jerk

If that is the case he is obviously crying tears of joy for the epic adventure he is about to embark on with me across the great plains as we hunt down tornadoes together!

• Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    the internet is where privacy and copyright go to die

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
  • Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    last picture.

temporary-3.jpg

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Sheri wrote: »
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    Yeah it essentially says "by purchasing other people's photos you are agreeing that you have the user's permission"

Uncool

But I can already do that once you've posted the picture. If you've posted it at its full resolution, I can save the image file, go to kodak.com, upload it, and order prints. They may not even bother with a cursory, "you have the legal right to use this image, right?" question before taking my money.

It would be cool if they had a profit-sharing system, though.

So. . . Since you can do the same bad thing with way more work, it's totally okay for an app to make it easier to do said bad thing?

Well, no, like I said, clearly a profit-sharing scheme would be much better, or at least the opportunity to say "please do not let anyone else buy prints of this picture."

What I was really getting at is that this is hardly a Brave New World type scenario; anything you post on facebook you give them an unlimited licence to use however they want whenever they what for whatever purpose happens to tickle their fancy. I know that others being worse doesn't make it right, but remember that we're talking about a company at the "looking for angel investors" phase of their capitalization process, and they're looking to put together $3k. The likelihood that they've actually had an attorney look over their ToS (something that could cost you well over $3k) is vanishingly small.

You could send them an e-mail regarding your concerns and suggest it. From a business perspective, I'll bet they would be interested by a proposal that would allow them to attract more professional photographers, who would clearly have the same problems posting on the site that you do.

• Options
    Ubik wrote: »
    the internet is where privacy and copyright go to die

unfortunately it's the IP that actually deserves protection that dies first

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Step-nephew with real camera
    GpybK.jpg

phone images
    RhzHa.jpg

KiJ9r.jpg

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    QYMwS.jpg

CeFi3.jpg
    creepy as hell dogs I was helping house-sit

zwN7U.jpg
    brunch

CdFfh.jpg

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    If I had to guess my friend is face palming due to a lack of smoking.

Not because of Canada.

Canada rocks

Eh

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I think when it gets nicer outside I'm going to take some good landscape photos

• Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    Yeah it essentially says "by purchasing other people's photos you are agreeing that you have the user's permission"

Uncool

But I can already do that once you've posted the picture. If you've posted it at its full resolution, I can save the image file, go to kodak.com, upload it, and order prints. They may not even bother with a cursory, "you have the legal right to use this image, right?" question before taking my money.

It would be cool if they had a profit-sharing system, though.

So. . . Since you can do the same bad thing with way more work, it's totally okay for an app to make it easier to do said bad thing?

Well, no, like I said, clearly a profit-sharing scheme would be much better, or at least the opportunity to say "please do not let anyone else buy prints of this picture."

What I was really getting at is that this is hardly a Brave New World type scenario; anything you post on facebook you give them an unlimited licence to use however they want whenever they what for whatever purpose happens to tickle their fancy. I know that others being worse doesn't make it right, but remember that we're talking about a company at the "looking for angel investors" phase of their capitalization process, and they're looking to put together $3k. The likelihood that they've actually had an attorney look over their ToS (something that could cost you well over $3k) is vanishingly small.

You could send them an e-mail regarding your concerns and suggest it. From a business perspective, I'll bet they would be interested by a proposal that would allow them to attract more professional photographers, who would clearly have the same problems posting on the site that you do.

You're suggesting I contact. . . who? Instagram? Or the kickstarter company? Why would they be interested in attracting more pro photographers? How do they benefit? I guess I just don't understand what you're getting at.

I'd rather just contact them and ask what their response is to the fact that their intended product is a potential breeding ground for privacy invasion and copyright infringement. Or if there is a way for Instagram users to opt out of having their photos printed by other people. Because when I signed up for Instagram I signed up for Instagram's TOS, not some other company's.

• Options
    Well, that's a conflict between instagram and these new guys. (although these new guys might just be trying to get bought out by fb once they have it working)

But I meant that if they had a profit-sharing side of the business where they allowed the original photographer to control whether it was sold and for how much, they could actually attract a lot of semi-professional photographers interested in actually participating, which should in turn generate more business for them, even if they don't capture 100% of the sale price.

As is, sure, it's a potential breeding ground for IP infringement, but so is a $70 at-home photo printer.

If you're worried about someone stealing your work off of the (as I understand it) non-copy-protected instagram servers, whether it be someone selling prints through an app or just printing them and selling them as their own work, then you probably shouldn't post it on instagram. (Or you should be angry at instagram for failing to prevent that sort of thing)

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Artreus wrote: »
    CeFi3.jpg

Come play with us.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    AmhodCOCIAAzdG8.jpg:large

Not great quality. Statue of Phil Lynott outside a pub close to where I work. Someone had placed a sunflower in his hand. I thought it was sweet so I took a photo.

Al84h2bCEAA1kax.jpg:large

Giant Connect 4. I came across two of these on the street one day after work. Still have no idea who left them there or why. After I took the photo a few of us started playing. I lost.

• Options
    why did you keep playing after yellow won?

• Options
    I didn't. It was like that when we got there. I took the photo and then we released all the counters that went *everywhere* and started playing. It was kinda fun.

• Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    Could've been either, actually.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Cheating and showing an older one on the grounds that it's taken in the same area as the other two.

AjYSI3ACEAEBP_d.jpg:large

A bunch of actors dressed up as "couch potatoes" for a promotion came across a group of Hare Krishna devotees and started dancing up and down the street with them. The Krishnas loved it.

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options

Huh. I never noticed that before.

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Oh man, in short doses, I LOVEEE the Krishnas. Free veg dinners on my campus once a week, and an awesome dance party to follow down the street on Halloween. Have no clue how I would do locked in a room with them, but in general, good peeps.

• Options
    Yeah, those guys are fairly frequent visitors to Grafton Street. They go dancing up and down the street around lunchtime. Every now and then you'll get a very serious looking person in a business suit going "oh what the hell" and doing a few laps with them.

• Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    i don't see how that Snapstagram thing could be anything other than copyright infringement

that portion of it could be shut down easy peasy if it ever goes live

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    545998_10150839110109595_590959594_11506244_1789827288_n.jpg

My shrimp and garlic pasta I made. Delicious.

• Options
    DislexicDislexic Creepy Uncle Bad Touch Your local playgroundRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Edit: oh no my real name.
    also: heh 69% batery

Your true identity has been revealed, you are no longer The Stig

batsig.jpg
  • Options

yeah, now that I've counted it up, there's just barely enough leeway for red to have won from 2:2 to 5:5

• Options
    DislexicDislexic Creepy Uncle Bad Touch Your local playgroundRegistered User regular
    251438_10150252778734983_514019982_7531221_1539364_n.jpg

I turned my house into a monster.

God amongst men.

batsig.jpg
  • Options
    Skyline of Pudong.

Hehe, Pudong

batsig.jpg
  • Options

yeah, now that I've counted it up, there's just barely enough leeway for red to have won from 2:2 to 5:5

Not even barely. There's one extra possible position for yellow, even if yellow had gone first. In any case, neither win is based on a forced position, so either would have to be negligent on the part of the losing player.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Chimera wrote: »
    picture removed

Is the kid in the hoodie crying because he will never be able to afford the Camaro or because he is in Canada?

probably because he is in the Dirty 'Shwa

• Options
    Actually, I didn't even see the 2,5 to 5,2 line, but that should give even more latitude.

• Options
    Not my dog, but he freaks out every time I show up. Apparently I'm the only one he does that for.
    0413122009a.jpg
    IMG958361.jpg
    0429111819a.jpg
    IMG950921.jpg

Cousin's neighbor's cat.
    0324121358.jpg

I spill my drink ONE damn time, and I get an impromptu sippy cup.
    0522110207a.jpg

Food theft didn't start until a shitload of Indians started working there.
    1216111317.jpg

And finally, just for shock:
    0221111859a.jpg
    0220121524a.jpg

batsig.jpg
  • Options
    Dislexic wrote: »

I rest my case, your honor.

• Options
    Dislexic wrote: »

I rest my case, your honor.

Seriously, they were the ONLY difference on our floor between the Pre- and Post- food theft era. And most of them were assholes who just ignored the rest of us, had their coffee separately at the cancer hut, and talked their jibberish language.

batsig.jpg
  • Options
    wow

• Options
    This is like when Shibby shows up every now and then and tries to prove he's still somehow transgressive.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Isn't Dislexic the one that had that creepy avatar of Emma Watson with the then-upcoming date she turned 18 on it?

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    That's my plan in a few years, Knob

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    I came back to the forums and no one gave a shit, what do I do

Be a big ol racist for attention, I guess

• Options
    edited April 2012
    I'm not being racist, I'm saying that unless someone I knew randomly decided to become a thief, at least one of those dudes was stealing food.

And yes, Darmak, that's me.

Dislexic on
    batsig.jpg