As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

books

• LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    premium wrote: »
    Legba wrote: »
    One quirk I noticed, which we talked a little about, is how except for the first fight between Amram and Zelikman, most of the fights happen off-stage, which I think is an interesting divergence from the genre. You hardly expect Conan to arrive at the battle, throw himself into it, and then have Howard spend several passages describing the point of view of someone else somewhere else while Conan gets on with the fighting.

Even the fight between Amram and Zelikman glosses over a fair bit and cuts over to the onlookers at points.
    I thought this was a good thing and really fit with the feel of the rest of the book.
    Also it probably would have been kinda gory if he went into as much detail on the fights as he did with some of the other elements of the story.

That's true. I was surprised when he described how they had real cuts and such after the fight. I guess the setup was so well written that I didn't notice that he glossed over much of the actual fight.

• ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    Swill wrote: »
    Listen if you gonna recommend Tolkien inspired metal don't recommend blind guardian.

Listen to summoning.

don't listen to either

just listen to Gwar's Beyond Hell because it' Gwar and Devin Townsend and it is like

amazing

i mean they beat the devil go home and smoke a bunch of crack cocane

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    what about melodic post-metal

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    My mom and dad bought me Lies Across America for my birthday. The author examines historic sites and monuments and attempts to show the real history of whatever happened there, rather than the misinformation, myths and propaganda. I find it fascinating, but it is a little "haha I will stick it to the man" some times, like it starting in Alaska and working its way south and east, because that it what the original immigrants did; but it is a very fascinating book and a very interesting aspect of history.

I really want to get the author's books about school history textbooks, Lies My Teacher Told Me and Teaching What Really Happened

DouglasDanger on
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Lies My Teacher Told Me was pretty cool

amazon just got the hammett collection i want back in stock

fuck you amazonnnnnnn

Grey Ghost wrote: »

i am seeing this is sort of genre of non fiction, which is sort of neat

this book, at its illustration of the american legion spreading misinformation through monuments and whatnot, makes me really sad about all the people i know who are in the legion

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I didn't finish the book.

I both liked it and disliked it for the same reason which was the writing style. I found it fun a detailed but I found often that I would be reading a long paragraph and my eyes would glaze over literally for half a sentence and it would invariably be the critical plot sentence and I would have no idea what was going on.

This would constantly happen to me.

Also I would name my axe one of two titles, the first name I would call my axe would be in the form of a question. This would be; May I axe you a question?

The second would be Velociraptor, as she would be a cleaver girl.

Oh look at that, the new Dark Tower book has found its way onto my Kindle

I do look forward to reading it

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

it's a great book and I want to say it should be required reading for anyone on a school board

• cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    I enjoyed Gentlemen of the Road a lot but I can't say it was a particularly rib-sticking book or anything. I found it pretty hard to retain anything but a general sense of Adventure Things! once I was done with it. Unfortunately this is a problem I have with lots of books.

edited April 2012
    Blake T wrote: »

boo-urns

my LoA noir books should be here tomorrow. looking forward to rereading The Killer Inside Me

Buttlord on
  • DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    Buttlord wrote: »

fuck you amazonnnnnnn

unngnhhhh I want that so bad

getting the maltese falcon and the Thin Man (I have a box set of all those movies) and oh man Red Harvest

and they had a big thing of his short stories

welp going to the library tomorrow to borrow a bunch of detective stories

fuck you amazonnnnnnn

unngnhhhh I want that so bad

getting the maltese falcon and the Thin Man (I have a box set of all those movies) and oh man Red Harvest

and they had a big thing of his short stories

welp going to the library tomorrow to borrow a bunch of detective stories

the two library of america collections are Pretty Great

the whole six book noir collection is great

two books each for Hammett and Chandler that collect basically all of their shit

and then the two miscellaneous novel collections

shit like postman always rings twice, they shoot horses don't they, talented mr ripley, killer inside me, nightmare alley

nightmare alley is PROBABLY my favorite of those

i'm not a huge fan of Hammett's loneger stories, dain curse is shit by the end

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Or I could name my axe after the admiral in charge of the alliance fifth fleet.

Admiral hatchet.

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I read a bunch of hammett stories, but most of the collection at my library was Chandler and oh my god

I am so into that shit

I've wanted to be a hardboiled motherfucker of a detective since I was like 9

I read a bunch of hammett stories, but most of the collection at my library was Chandler and oh my god

I am so into that shit

the two loa collections collect literally everything except the last marlowe one, the one he didn't finish

just sayin

loa owns y'all

their lovecraft is really nice too

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

I both liked it and disliked it for the same reason which was the writing style. I found it fun a detailed but I found often that I would be reading a long paragraph and my eyes would glaze over literally for half a sentence and it would invariably be the critical plot sentence and I would have no idea what was going on.

Also I would name my axe one of two titles, the first name I would call my axe would be in the form of a question. This would be; May I axe you a question?

My favorite battle axe name joke (acquired from a renaissance fair, of course) has always been to approach the really big tough looking guy who is clearly trying to look cool at the renaissance fair and go, "Hey! What're you doing with my ex-wife?"

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular

Get off the staaaage

I actually liked the bookvery much, and the lack of described action (that you would see in, say, Conan - yes okay all of my comparisons are to Conan shut up), but I also would say that for the first two or three chapters I was picking out moments where the word choice seemed clunky instead of fluid. I like Chabon's writing style a lot, but it seemed like either a) early on he was still figuring out what his Adventure Story voice was going to be or b) I was still trying to get into his voice so as to enjoy the story properly.

Anyway that stopped bothering me after about the third chapter, but I also find that I really love wordy motherfuckers, so.

Did you guys know that it was originally published as a serial in The New York Times Magazine?

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular

golfclap.gif

At least my talents are appreciated by someone.

It's just, I'd hate it if my puns drove a wedge between us.

I'll just go and get some more puns that you'll like.

Maybe I can buy some new ones at the maul.

On the other hand I'd hate to leave you guys alone when I split.

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I tried to get a handle on your humor, Blake, but I couldn't wrap my head around it

In short, you have felled me

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
    edited April 2012
    I wood explain it to you Sandra, but I think it goes against the grain.

Blake T on
    Or I could name my axe after the admiral in charge of the alliance fifth fleet.

Admiral hatchet.

Naming an axe "Admiral Hatchet" sort of goes against the grain, but you know, my nephew named his teddy bear "caterpillar."

• Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    huh

tim o'brien is giving a reading of his stuff at the library at my university at 3:30 today

sadly, i have other shit to do

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular

I am so into that shit

the two loa collections collect literally everything except the last marlowe one, the one he didn't finish

just sayin

loa owns y'all

I just got this from the library!

I am so into that shit

just sayin

loa owns y'all

My aunt works for them!

This article is about two of her latest projects!

RUVCwyu.jpg

I am so into that shit

just sayin

loa owns y'all

My aunt works for them!

This article is about two of her latest projects!

i would murder for LoA to do full collections of Tarzan and the Barsoom books

• DislexicDislexic Creepy Uncle Bad Touch Your local playgroundRegistered User regular
    Since I've been gone, I started reading this book series. It's pretty badass.

3531469.jpg6435253.jpg103413160.jpg

batsig.jpg
  • YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    Dis give us a one sentence summary of that series

oh wait Card likes it

Dis give us a one sentence summary and another sentence that tells us why Card liking it shouldn't affect us liking it

• DislexicDislexic Creepy Uncle Bad Touch Your local playgroundRegistered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »

oh wait Card likes it

Dis give us a one sentence summary and another sentence that tells us why Card liking it shouldn't affect us liking it

It has steam-powered robots.

Who the hell is Card?

batsig.jpg
    Dislexic wrote: »
    YaYa wrote: »

oh wait Card likes it

It has steam-powered robots.

Who the hell is Card?

going to assume orson scott card

noted homophobic piece of shit

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    dude who wrote Ender's Game

huge asshole

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    most recent piece of assholery by card: rewrote one of shakespeare's tragedies so that gay people were to blame for everything that went wrong

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    most recent piece of assholery by card: rewrote one of shakespeare's tragedies so that gay people were to blame for everything that went wrong

i saw the book in the children's section of my library

found out after i stopped working there that it was homophobic

FUCKING A

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Orson Scott Card is such a prick.

Shorty wrote: »

Wait. What?

This discussion has been closed.