As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[macOS] Sierra is Online. "Hey Siri, I need to get rid of a body."

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    So, I need to upgrade the HD in my 2010 13" MacBook Pro AGAIN (too much music). I'm looking at this hard drive.

I know how to install it. That's easy. But how do I get all my information back? I have an external hard drive with a Time Machine backup on it. Do I just put in the new hard drive, reinstall OSX, and then just restore from Time Machine?

• Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    No I wouldn't fully trust Time Machine. I suggest getting a usb to sata adaptor and using Carbon Copy Cloner.

What you do is plug the new drive into the machine before you do anything else.
    Launch Carbon Copy Cloner (Free) to copy your internal to the new external.

Once done swap the drives and you are good to go.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    useless4 wrote: »
    No I wouldn't fully trust Time Machine. I suggest getting a usb to sata adaptor and using Carbon Copy Cloner.

What you do is plug the new drive into the machine before you do anything else.
    Launch Carbon Copy Cloner (Free) to copy your internal to the new external.

Once done swap the drives and you are good to go.

Can you give me a little something more than "I wouldn't fully trust..."?

I'd rather just go the official Apple way. I have a hard time imagining it won't work properly.

EDIT: Don't know how I missed this before. It looks like when one buys a new Mac it will ask if you want to backup from a Time Machine? Will it do that with a fresh OSX install too?

Esh on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Esh wrote: »
    EDIT: Don't know how I missed this before. It looks like when one buys a new Mac it will ask if you want to backup from a Time Machine? Will it do that with a fresh OSX install too?

Yes, I just had to do a fresh install of OSX 7; when it finished installing it asked if I wanted to restore from a Time Machine backup. Even if you don't do it during the initial setup, you can do it later on with the Migration Assistant utility - I just had to create a throwaway User Account, migrate everything over to my main account, and delete the throwaway.

• Options
    floobiefloobie Registered User regular
    I've restored from Time Machine about 6 times over the last few years for various reasons. Usually just to put a bigger hard drive in my laptop. I've yet to have an issue with it, whatever that's worth. Once the install is done, it'll prompt you to restore from a Time Machine backup. Just follow the steps and wait a while.

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Upgraded to Lion from Snow Leopard over the weekend. I was a little worried because I upgraded basically to get XCode 4.2 - none of the new Lion features really interested me, and I was apprehensive about the changes to Expose and Spaces.

After using it for a few days I've come to really like Mission Control. I have the same app-switching flexibility I had before along with full screen apps which are (mostly) great. I also like the ability to drag windows to different desktops, Not really sure the upgrade was worth $30, but whatever. Face Time works great, so that's something.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    FiskavFiskav Registered User regular
    edited December 2015

Fiskav on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    Finally getting around to adding more memory to my 2007 iMac. Grabbed a 2GB card so will be tripping the amount. Hopefully will mean I can get another year or so out of this before I need to think about getting a new desktop machine (and I might get around to upgrading to Lion, which would be nice).

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    The benefits of Lion really depend upon the machine you are using it on.

I get much more use out of Lion's full screen apps (and therefore mission control) on my 11" Air than I ever do on my 27" iMac.

Lion was really designed for small, mobile devices with more limited screen real estate.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    So that Seagate 750gb 7200rpm SSD hybrid hard drive I just ordered? Dropped in price down to $149.99 from $175 or so. Great deal if you're looking to upgrade your notebook. I called New Egg to see if they'd price match it for me since I just ordered it last night, and he said due to the flooding in Taiwan or whatever, they weren't doing that with hard drives (prices fluctuating too much) but that he could cancel the order and I could just reorder. Great customer service!

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Yeah Newegg has always been great whenever I've had an issue, going back... what, at least 8 years.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I've only tried to restore from Time Machine once, but it said that would take several hours. So I just did a fresh install and pulled most of my home dir over from the TM backup.

• Options
    Echo wrote: »
    I've only tried to restore from Time Machine once, but it said that would take several hours. So I just did a fresh install and pulled most of my home dir over from the TM backup.

I might do this just to appease the purist in me. It's mostly music (380 something GB worth) and some documents I need. I can just drag and drop them out, right?

• Options
    If you don't mind reinstalling your applications, go for it. I restore from Time Machine so I don't have to reinstall may DAW or my many sample libraries and soft synths (about 120gb), or worry about correctly copying over and relinking all the individual files. Installing all that from dozens of DVDs once was enough for me.

Restoring from Time Machine does take a while... usually about 4 hours for me. But, having everything working exactly as it did before without any effort on my part is worth the wait, at least for me.

• Options
    Remind me, after I've put in the new hard drive and am booting up to reinstall the OS, is there a button combo I should be pressing?

• Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    Hold down Option (Alt)

• Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    I posted this in a separate thread, but Thanatos suggested posting here as well, since it's all Apple devices that are having problems. I don't know if it's an Apple issue, but just in case I figured I'd ask you guys as well.

My girlfriend is using a D-Link WBR-2310. It was fine until she recently switched ISPs and got a new modem. Now computers lose connections to the router if they connect to another network. Her PC stays at home and never has any connection problems. She takes her Macbook to work, though, and when she comes home can't connect to her wireless network. Same goes for my iPhone and iPad, which I bring home and connect to my home network. The Macbook works fine if connected via ethernet. And strangely, if she connects it through ethernet and then disables and re-enables the router's wireless security, everything will connect fine. Until they connect to a different network and then come home again. This is a huge pain to have to do every time she comes home, but we can't figure out how to permanently fix it. Any ideas?

• Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    buy an airport extreme

• Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm blaming the router. Check for firmware updates first before buying anything new, though.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    After I put this new hard drive in, I'm going to have the original 250gb and the 500gb I just replaced lying around. Can anyone recommend a decent (and cheap as possible) enclosure so I can attach them externally, format them, and use Disk Utility to wipe them with 0s a few times? I'd like to toss them on Craigslist to make a couple bucks off of 'em.

Or, if there's another easy method, I'm open to that. A USB to SATA cable wouldn't power as well as interact with them would it?

EDIT: Grabbed one of these. I think the sale of the 250gb will offset the cost of it and then the 500gb will be pure profit.

Esh on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    Well, that was probably the easiest memory addition ever. 2007 iMac should be good for a bit longer now.

• Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    Senshi wrote: »
    buy an airport extreme

That would be my solution too but she's not looking to buy a new router. I'll look for firmware updates for the one she has, though.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    BobCesca wrote: »
    Well, that was probably the easiest memory addition ever. 2007 iMac should be good for a bit longer now.

yeah, they don't let you update much on the iMac, but what is accessible is really, REALLY easy.

On the difficult side, I carved an eSATA port into my iMac, as it does not have a thunderbolt port (its the last model not to have one, and the 27" iMac had an extra SATA port inside... there are guides online that I followed successfully).

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    elevature wrote: »
    buy an airport extreme

That would be my solution too but she's not looking to buy a new router. I'll look for firmware updates for the one she has, though.

well

she's looking to fix her problem

that will fix her problem

I realize logic is a strange concept to women but

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    There are other, cheaper solutions, and you don't need to be an asshole about it.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    Welcome to posts by Senshi.

• Options
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    :bz

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I thought someone here might be able to help me with this Adium "problem" I'm having.

Like in this picture here...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/75813411@N08/6889811434/

...notice all the interface icons on the top of the chat window? I want them gone. Is there any way to do that? The theme I'm using seems to indicate that it is from the photo examples of it, but I can't seem to find a setting.

Esh on
  • Options
    Right click the toolbar

change things you want changed

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Right click the toolbar

change things you want changed

I should've thought of that. I blame all the beers from last night. Thanks.

Esh on
  • Options
    So, any thoughts on what video cards might get tossed in the new MacBook Pro 15"s?

• Options
    edited December 2015

Fiskav on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Fiskav wrote: »
    So, any thoughts on what video cards might get tossed in the new MacBook Pro 15"s?

Wait, what? New Macbook Pros?

http://macbookpro.macrumors.com/

• Options
    edited December 2015

Fiskav on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    I think typically prices remain the same but the systems get better.

• Options

Interesting. I wonder if the price will go down... my MacBook aluminium from 2008 is getting a little old.

I seriously doubt it. I'm going to be selling my mid 2010 13" Pro to help fund one. I've been wanting something with a little more graphical "oomph" so I can play Secret World and Guild Wars 2 via Boot Camp.

• Options
    edited December 2015

Fiskav on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options

Interesting. I wonder if the price will go down... my MacBook aluminium from 2008 is getting a little old.

I seriously doubt it. I'm going to be selling my mid 2010 13" Pro to help fund one. I've been wanting something with a little more graphical "oomph" so I can play Secret World and Guild Wars 2 via Boot Camp.

Yeah, I didn't get my hopes up too much.

Anyway, I'm debating whether to sell my current Macbook and buy a new Pro with Boot Camp (for PC-only Steam stuff), or to keep my existing Macbook while building a new laptop from scratch.

On one hand, I get OS X with a computer that looks incredible, but at a price.

On the other hand, I get Windows 7 (not a huge fan, I have to say) on a computer that will be more feature-packed but will cost less.

Difficult choice.

Is it possible to build a laptop as thin, well built, and with battery life comparable to a 15" Macbook Pro? I'm genuinely curious.

Personally, I like to keep things consolidated. I hate having more than one computer to keep track of. As such, my 15" Macbook Pro is pretty much the ideal solution. It manages to be quite powerful and quite mobile in one package.

But, as I've always said with laptops:

1) Mobility, build quality (for some reason the two frequently go hand in hand)
    2) Power
    3) Low Price

Pick two. This thing wasn't cheap, but I figure if I had built a separate desktop and bought a less powerful laptop, I'd have to pay even more.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Since the unibody design debuted, I've said that the MacBook Pro is by far the best laptop in the world, hardware-wise. And that's not even factoring in the OS advantage.

My personal checklist for comparing hardware has the OS at the top of the list, because that's the part that I interact with on a daily basis. Windows 7 is a nice step up, but I couldn't stand to use it as a daily driver. I get more than enough of it on my gaming machine, so any laptop that doesn't run OS X is out of the question.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust