As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Diablo 3] Diablo walks the Earth in 5 days. Single digits omg

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    And now you can actually do something with blues.

• Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    This game is great. I don't know what else to say. It exceeded my expectations greatly. God the wait will be long and treacherous.

Also, does anyone know where the Collectors Edition is still orderable? Or is that just done now? I didn't think it'd run out so soon but I can't find a place to order it now. Bah. I mean I'll deal with it but still. If anyone knows a place I'd be greatful!

"You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    PA Diablo 3 Release date pool!!

Rules: Each participant will private message me their pick for the date Diablo 3 will be released(Eastern Standard Time), AS WELL AS their pick for what date Blizzard will ANNOUNCE the release date, as a tie breaker. Dates are on a first come first serve basis. Your entry can't have the same announce and release date as another participant. One or the other is allowed. The dates I have chosen are an exception since I can't win the prize. The release date is the actual day of release in case the date is pushed back from their initial announced release day. The announcement is for the day they announce the release date, even if that release date is not met. Contestants can change their picks up until the registration end date*. Contestants must also have been signed up for the forums before the start date of the contest.
    *Please use same private conversation, it's easier on me.

Registration End Date: Registration is closed!!

Contest End Date: 3 weeks before the announced release date, or the day of the announcement of the release date(if shorter than 3 weeks). This is in case the release date is pushed back.

Prizes:
    Closest Release Date Prediction: Steel Series Diablo 3 Gaming Mouse* Courtesy of That Dave Fella!
    Something awesome and maybe also signed. Courtesy of Neville and Sarukun!
    2nd Closest Release Date Prediction*²: Torchlight on steam!
    * If in stock
    *² Or release date predictor with the second closest announce date prediction in case of release date prediction tie

PA Diablo 3 Release Date Pool Calendar

Congrats, pending no delay shenanigans to @Delphinidaes for winning first prize, and @ihsviks for being the runner up.
    Delphinidaes has his mouse, and ihsviks has his torchlight. Neville/Sarukun's prize is closer to/after release so next stop May 15th!!

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I think places ran out months ago, so you're way late to the party. But I may be wrong as I didn't have any interest in one. Checking Walmart etc can't hurt I imagine, think there was talk a short time ago of them maybe having some.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Well,
    we killed the player characters in D2, right? Rogue = Blood Raven, Sorcerer = Summoner, Warrior = Wanderer, who I assumed died at the end of vanilla D2.

I would really like to see at least a little more about Blood Raven and the Summoner. Or even the characters in Diablo 2 (though the classes available would make that hard). I'm not expecting it though.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    mastrius wrote: »
    This game is great. I don't know what else to say. It exceeded my expectations greatly. God the wait will be long and treacherous.

Also, does anyone know where the Collectors Edition is still orderable? Or is that just done now? I didn't think it'd run out so soon but I can't find a place to order it now. Bah. I mean I'll deal with it but still. If anyone knows a place I'd be greatful!

Bestbuy's website doesn't say anything that I can see about it being sold out.

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular

Best Buy has screwed me over on collector's edition preorders two times now.

"We didn't get enough in" the first time

"We only got one in" the second time

NEVER AGAIN

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    I really should have come to this thread sooner, spent too much time in the League of Legends thread :P

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    This wrote: »
    I turned on enemy health bars last night just to experiment, and it really changes things sometimes. Like, it suddenly made the Witch Doctor's Firebats spell go from "enh" to "fucking awesome". Running up to a group of enemies and going Soul Harvest->Firebats and watching the red bars zoom to nothingness activates all the right neuron clusters.

On the subject of Firebats, why would you ever use the rune that destroys the spell? The one you get at level 10-12 somewhere that changes it to launching out one big bat that flies a long way. That seemed pretty bad.

Are you kidding me? Thats the only bats I use, they blow up when they hit something. I get a constant steam of "you killed 10 enemies with one hit".

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TehSpectre wrote: »

Best Buy has screwed me over on collector's edition preorders two times now.

"We didn't get enough in" the first time

"We only got one in" the second time

NEVER AGAIN

For Forza 4, I think, Best Buy handed out gift cards (I want to say as much as $20) as an apology for a lack of CE.

Shame they didn't do something here.

• Options
    KambingKambing Registered User regular
    Stream going live. Spending a little bit of time with a hardcore wizard. Will be going up and down for a bit while I fiddle with resolution/recording sizes.

@TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
  • Options
    Blood DriveBlood Drive Registered User regular
    Kambing wrote: »
    Stream going live. Spending a little bit of time with a hardcore wizard. Will be going up and down for a bit while I fiddle with resolution/recording sizes.

WATCHING YOU....
    You know you can just space bar through the dialog instead of wasting time clicking the box's out of the way right? I find that a lot easier.

• Options
    KambingKambing Registered User regular

WATCHING YOU....
    You know you can just space bar through the dialog instead of wasting time clicking the box's out of the way right? I find that a lot easier.

But CLICK CLICK CLICK. =(

@TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
  • Options
    Why else would you play Diablo?

CLICK CLICK CLICK.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Man I am already thinking about Monk builds.

I think it's ridiculous that I can make a build that is both an awesome healer AND doubles the damage I do basically all the time.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular

WATCHING YOU....

But CLICK CLICK CLICK. =(
    click esc once to skip all dialogue in a scene.

esc + enter for a quick cutscene skip as well.

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    ThisThis Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    This wrote: »
    I turned on enemy health bars last night just to experiment, and it really changes things sometimes. Like, it suddenly made the Witch Doctor's Firebats spell go from "enh" to "fucking awesome". Running up to a group of enemies and going Soul Harvest->Firebats and watching the red bars zoom to nothingness activates all the right neuron clusters.

On the subject of Firebats, why would you ever use the rune that destroys the spell? The one you get at level 10-12 somewhere that changes it to launching out one big bat that flies a long way. That seemed pretty bad.

Are you kidding me? Thats the only bats I use, they blow up when they hit something. I get a constant steam of "you killed 10 enemies with one hit".

I don't know man, the big bat really just didn't seem to do a lot for me. A lot of the time it seemed like it didn't even hit anything. I'm sure it's good if you use it a certain way, but I far preferred spraying deathfire on everything near me and watching it melt and crumble at my feet.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    No no, there is no diversity in 3, didn't you get the memo?!!

Someone at Blizzard read this and please add /nopickup, thanks.

• Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    I didn't pre-order the Collector's Edition in time, either. I'll check my local Wal-Mart, and see if there's anything I can do there, but I'm considering just doing the digital download. I mean, I'm 27 years old now, you know? The box and all the shit that comes in it are all really cool, but how long will it be until my kids tear it all apart when I'm not looking? The digital download's cool because I guess it lets you download it ahead of time, and then you can play it the moment it's live. That's appealing to me as well, because I live in kind of a small town, and if they don't carry what I'm looking for at Wal-Mart, I have to make a special trip like, 45 minutes away to go pick it up at the nearest GameStop by my campus.

• Options
    Has anyone started working on builds yet? Obviously, nothing's set in stone for me at the moment, but here's what I've been considering so far on Barbarians and Monks. Let me preface this by saying that I am, and always have been, the kind of player who emphasizes defense over offense. It really doesn't matter what kind of game I'm playing - I'm always the guy with a shield, or the one with maxed out resistances, or the one with a dodge rating through the roof.

Here's what I'm liking for Barbarians:

Ignore Pain (65% damage resistance for 5 seconds, 60 second cooldown) is probably a must. I suppose I'd Rune it out with either Iron Hide, to increase its duration to 7 seconds, or Mob Rule, to extend the effect to all nearby allies. Ground Stomp is awesome, too, because who doesn't like rage-inducing area stuns? For Runes, I guess I'm looking at Wrenching Smash, which doubles the area of effect and pulls enemies toward me, or Deafening Crash, which slows enemies for a few seconds after the stun wears off.

Leap Attack is not only a great skill on its own, but my God, are its Runic improvements amazing! Call of Arreat doubles the area of effect and pulls enemies toward you (fuck yes), Iron Impact grants you 300% additional armor for 4 seconds after leaping (holy dicks), and Death From Above causes all enemies within 8 yards to be stunned for 3 seconds (ohmygod).

War Cry increases everyone's armor by like 20% (although one part of the wiki says 100%; maybe it starts off at 20% and increases to 100% at later levels?), so that's probably my go-to shout. Using Runic power, I can increase the effect to a 40% bonus with Hardened Wrath, grant a 15% dodge chance with Veteran's Warning, increase all of my resistances by 50% while War Cry's active with Impunity and ... Jesus, I mean all of War Cry's runes are just amazing.

As far as Passive Skills go, I'm probably looking at:

Nerves of Steel: Increase Armor by 100% of your Vitality.
    Tough as Nails: Increase Armor by 50%, and Thorns damage dealt by 50%.
    and then either
    Inspiring Presence: Doubles the duration of my shouts, and allows me to regenerate 1% of my total health every second while my shouts are active.
    or
    Superstition: Reduce all non-Physical damage by 20%, and whenever I take damage from ranged or elemental attacks, I have a chance to gain some Fury.

I mean, holy ass flaps, this guy can get ridiculous durable.

I'll do the Monk build in the next post.

• Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    milk ducks wrote: »
    I didn't pre-order the Collector's Edition in time, either. I'll check my local Wal-Mart, and see if there's anything I can do there, but I'm considering just doing the digital download. I mean, I'm 27 years old now, you know? The box and all the shit that comes in it are all really cool, but how long will it be until my kids tear it all apart when I'm not looking? The digital download's cool because I guess it lets you download it ahead of time, and then you can play it the moment it's live. That's appealing to me as well, because I live in kind of a small town, and if they don't carry what I'm looking for at Wal-Mart, I have to make a special trip like, 45 minutes away to go pick it up at the nearest GameStop by my campus.

I'm in the same situation, I buy all my games digitally now unless it's a console-only release. I just don't have the room to store all these damn video game boxes everywhere.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    lu tzelu tze Sweeping the monestary steps.Registered User regular
    Has anyone started working on builds yet?
    Constantly.

It's getting ridiculous frankly.
    But you've used none of those lovely crit passives!

World's best janitor
  • Options
    I feel like the Monk can be built for pure damage mitigation a lot easier than the Barbarian. I mean, I think the Barbarian may be overall more durable, but I feel like that durability comes with a lot of opportunity costs. Not so with the Monk. This guy only needs a few abilities to maximize elusiveness. Here's what I'm thinking:

Mantra of Evasion increases everyone's chance to Dodge by like 15%, so that's a must. As far as Runes go, Backlash seems really nice, because every time you successfully dodge an attack, it creates a fiery burst that damages all enemies nearby. Hard Target's cool too, though, because it increases everyone's Armor by 20% (go Barbarian, go!).

I found Blinding Flash to be extremely useful during the open beta. I didn't see many other monks using it (ditto for Dashing Strike, we'll get to that in a second). Every 15 seconds, you cause all enemies within 20 yards to suffer a 30% penalty to hit. That's bad ass. And it synergizes well with a build that maximizes elusiveness, like this. Blinding Echo causes a second flash 6 seconds after the first, but it only blinds enemies for half a second, so I'm not totally sold on that yet. All of the Runic empowerments for this ability are great, though: there are ways to increase the duration, cause enemies to attack each other, etc.

Dashing Strike is Tits McGee, guys. Seriously. I never saw anybody using this during the beta, but it's so good it hurts. It doesn't say so on the in-game tooltip, but this ability roots its target for a second, so it can't move. Not only does this ability grant you some great battlefield mobility, but it's awesome for stopping enemies that are rushing toward your allies, or for just keeping someone in place so your team can pound on it. During the SK fight, for example, if I used Dashing Strike every few seconds, he would never move around, really. I mean, he would occasionally teleport, but as soon as he landed, I'd root him again. You know how much faster you can kill somebody when you're not chasing them around, trying to DPS as you're running? It's phenomenal.

Anyway, the Blinding Speed rune grants you a 20% dodge bonus for 3 seconds after using Dashing Strike.

So goddamn good.

I haven't set the Passives in stone yet, but I'm liking the look of:

Guardian's Path: While dual-wielding, I'll gain a 15% dodge bonus.
    Sixth-Sense: Dodge rating is increased by 30% of my critical strike chance.
    and either
    Resolve: Enemies I'm attacking deal 20% less damage for 2.5 seconds,
    or
    Seize the Initiative: Increase Armor by 100% of my Dexterity.

That's like 15% dodge from Mantra of Evasion, another 20% bonus for 3 seconds after using Dashing Strike, another 15% dodge bonus while dual-wielding, additional dodge rating based on my critical strike chance (which will be high, since Monk's a dexterity-based class), and on top of all that, Blinding Flash every 15 seconds to cause all enemies to suffer a 30% penalty to hit.

Get fucking dodged.

• Options
    lu tze wrote: »
    Has anyone started working on builds yet?
    Constantly.

It's getting ridiculous frankly.
    But you've used none of those lovely crit passives!

It's true, yeah. I know that others will build more offensively-oriented characters than me, but I'm always big on trying to maximize defenses first, and then build up offense from there.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    It's Diablo, not Everbore, you're supposed to be making dozens of mooks explode in fiery death with each hit!

lu tze on
    World's best janitor
  • Options
    It's Diablo, not Everbore, you're supposed to be making dozens of mooks explode in fiery death with each hit!

Until you get to Hell / Inferno :P

You have a point, though. A lot can be said for balls-out offense in Diablo II. It'll be interesting to see if the same thing can be said of Diablo III. With the mechanics for Town Portal changed, it's a lot harder to just Crip Walk away from fights when shit gets hairy. But I'm sure there will be multiple viable builds. I'm not saying the stuff I'm posting is the be-all, end-all of builds, or anything like that. They're just what I'll be doing, because that's the style of play I enjoy most.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Skab wrote: »
    Listening to Diablo music on the classic battle.net music player makes everything you do online better.

I had no idea this thing existed. Thanks.

It looks like a miniature winamp player skinned with a battle.net theme.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    I play hardcore, I know being overly tanky is tempting, but usually turns out to be a false economy.

If something is dead, it can't hit you.

AFAIK Monks and Babas get a flat 20% 30% DR on top of everything else, on account that they're melee classes. That's worth considering in your builds.

lu tze on
    World's best janitor
  • Options
    I've never heard that, man. Do you have the source handy?

• Options
    edited April 2012
    lu tze on
    World's best janitor
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I play hardcore, I know being overly tanky is tempting, but usually turns out to be a false economy.

If something is dead, it can't hit you.

AFAIK Monks and Babas get a flat 20% 30% DR on top of everything else, on account that they're melee classes. That's worth considering in your builds.

For some reason I read that as drop rate and not defense rate, but yeah something nice to know. I forgot they added that a patch or two ago.

Also unlock #6 is out on the reveal site. It's an excerpt from The Order, a novel that's being released from the view of Deckard Cain about his travels. At the new rate we're going, we'll have the final unlock by next week or so.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I feel like the Monk can be built for pure damage mitigation a lot easier than the Barbarian. I mean, I think the Barbarian may be overall more durable, but I feel like that durability comes with a lot of opportunity costs. Not so with the Monk. This guy only needs a few abilities to maximize elusiveness. Here's what I'm thinking:

You should look into a monk build specced for healing. The monk has a lot of ways to boost damage (either the damage he deals or the damage enemies take) and on top of that, Breath of Heaven has a rune that increases your damage by 15% for 45 seconds whenever you heal yourself or someone else, and the Guiding Light passive increases damage by 16% for 15 seconds.

I'm pretty sure an awesome monk build can focus on 1) high personal damage 2) buffing group damage and 3) high defense through frequent and powerful heals.

It's the build I'm going to be trying to perfect I think, because I like both group utility and beating the shit out of things.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options

You should look into a monk build specced for healing. The monk has a lot of ways to boost damage (either the damage he deals or the damage enemies take) and on top of that, Breath of Heaven has a rune that increases your damage by 15% for 45 seconds whenever you heal yourself or someone else, and the Guiding Light passive increases damage by 16% for 15 seconds.

I'm pretty sure an awesome monk build can focus on 1) high personal damage 2) buffing group damage and 3) high defense through frequent and powerful heals.

It's the build I'm going to be trying to perfect I think, because I like both group utility and beating the shit out of things.

That sounds awesome, yeah. I definitely think Breath of Heaven is an amazing skill. Blazing Wrath is a great Rune, too.

I think I'll end up using something like Sweeping Wind, Lashing Tail Kick, Blinding Flash, Dashing Strike, Breath of Heaven, and Mantra of Evasion? Something like that.

• Options
    edited April 2012

That sounds awesome, yeah. I definitely think Breath of Heaven is an amazing skill. Blazing Wrath is a great Rune, too.

I think I'll end up using something like Sweeping Wind, Lashing Tail Kick, Blinding Flash, Dashing Strike, Breath of Heaven, and Mantra of Evasion? Something like that.

I noticed that in your build crafting and theory you just type all the skills out instead of linking to your build in the skill calculator. I know I personally don't know all the names or what they do yet, but it might be easier for the rest of us to help/contribute to the conversation if you did use it. Not to mention you can save the build you do end up "choosing" for later on your browser. Just sayin' ;)

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    really?

hes still super old... i dont see why not looks legit to me :O

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options

I noticed that in your build crafting and theory you just type all the skills out instead of linking to your build in the skill calculator. I know I personally don't know all the names or what they do yet, but it might be easier for the rest of us to help/contribute to the conversation if you did use it. Not to mention you can save the build you do end up "choosing" for later on your browser. Just sayin' ;)

Dude, nice. I had no idea this even existed, lol.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Well,
    we killed the player characters in D2, right? Rogue = Blood Raven, Sorcerer = Summoner, Warrior = Wanderer, who I assumed died at the end of vanilla D2.

I would really like to see at least a little more about Blood Raven and the Summoner. Or even the characters in Diablo 2 (though the classes available would make that hard). I'm not expecting it though.

Blizzard was originally intending the male Barbarian to be the same Barbarian from Diablo 2, but I think they decided to shelf that idea.

• Options
    He's still super old tho.

• Options
    aboyfromhellaboyfromhell Registered User new member
    Is anyone else stuck on updating? My last patch was 7 or 8 and I can't update anymore.

This discussion has been closed.