As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Super Summer Slugfest Slamdown: Movies & More!

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Ultimate Spider-Man was so bad this week. Peter is so damn annoying, which is a huge problem for a Spidey cartoon.

• HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    Just bought my tickets for the Avengers movie marathon at AMC - starting to get really excited now :D !

• JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Ultimate Spider-Man was so bad this week. Peter is so damn annoying, which is a huge problem for a Spidey cartoon.
    at least Stark was okay. but that scene near the end where Stark confronts peter anbout messing with his tech and then... NOTHING

that was just... ugh

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

It was an improvement over the previous episode. Their Iron Man was awesome, too. That said, it's light years behind Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

• Romero ZombieRomero Zombie Registered User regular
    Ya...can't really have a main character who nobody likes. That said though, I love the Marvel mash ups. Crack me up every time

steam_sig.png
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    DeMoN wrote: »
    I also love Young Justice and hopes it sticks around. It's the only superhero cartoon I've enjoyed in a long time. Avengers didn't grab me at all, and from what I've seen Ultimate Spider-Man seems kinda lame.

I miss Spectacular Spider-Man.

I'm there with you on Avengers.

It's not a bad show, but it doesn't really interface with me in any way. It's really dry and just doesn't move right to me.

Which is weird, because I fucking loved Wolverine and the X-Men, and EMH has similar animation, moves similarly, and shares writers with WatXM.

HadjiQuest wrote: »
    DeMoN wrote: »
    I also love Young Justice and hopes it sticks around. It's the only superhero cartoon I've enjoyed in a long time. Avengers didn't grab me at all, and from what I've seen Ultimate Spider-Man seems kinda lame.

I miss Spectacular Spider-Man.

I'm there with you on Avengers.

It's not a bad show, but it doesn't really interface with me in any way. It's really dry and just doesn't move right to me.

Which is weird, because I fucking loved Wolverine and the X-Men, and EMH has similar animation, moves similarly, and shares writers with WatXM.

I'm the exact opposite. I prefer Avengers: EMH over Wolverine and the X-men, despite liking the show.

• spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    I didn't like EMH the first time I saw it, but it grew on me.

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    I also didn't like Wolverine and the X-Men.

X-Men Evolution was the best.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    EMH is all kinds of world building and I love it

7656367.jpg
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I heard Abigail Brand showed up in the most recent episode

man I wish I got Disney XD

brand laid down the law in the latest episode, son

7656367.jpg
    edited April 2012
    I heard Abigail Brand showed up in the most recent episode

man I wish I got Disney XD

Brand is cool whenever she appears. Isn't her VA the actress who does English dubbed Motoko Katsunagi for the Ghost in a Shell anime? She was great in Armored Adventures, too. (Brand, not the VA.)

Harry Dresden on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    Whoa ...

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    commander shepherd, agent of sword

poo
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Axe Cop picked up by Fox for possible late night/online Animation Domination.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    At last, a show fox can't kill by fucking up the air dates. :D

• KING LITERATEKING LITERATE Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I just saw the film and yes, they are called Chitauri, I'm sorry for spoiling that but it is literally revealed in the first 20 seconds of the film and constantly mentioned.
    And shapeshifting? There was none, as far as I could tell, and in a film like this, a thing like that would be shoved in your face, so I'm sure there was no shapeshifting.

The film surely was another Marvel flick. Kind of generic, flashy, somehow "empty" feeling, but kind of fun and I guess it was nice to see all these characters together. Since I have never read any comics, I don't jizz my pants just because of the fact that AWESOME DUDES TOGETHER FIGHTING EXPLOSIONS AWESOME, to me it was another kind of average and entertaining enough action film.

RDJ was cool and funny as always, actually all of the actors are surprisingly good and get enough moments to satisfy everyone. Scarlett was a little meh, but I guess she serves her purpose with her looks and fighting alien armies with a Glock.

It still looked kind of flat and bland as the previews made it look. The fact alone that its aspect ratio is 1.85:1 means the screen will be flat and smaller.
    Some of the scenes really suffer from this since at times it looked like there should be much more stuff beyond the frames but we just see stuff cramped in the small shot.
    The final actionpiece is kind of like this, sure it takes place in Manhattan, but it always feels like they are cramped between buildings and corners. Of course Iron Man gets to fly around and shoot things, just like Hulk smashes everything in sight, which is just fun to watch, but Cap, ScarJo and Hawkeye are mostly on the ground level fighting cgi-effects and gasoline explosions.

I'm sure if you are a comicbook fan, this is probably a dream come true and you will definitely enjoy the film and all that, but to me, it was just another "light" action-extravaganza that I won't remember in a few days.

soo much sumg.

what is it with all the detractors acting so smarmy?

KING LITERATE on
    Diamond FC: 3867 1354 8291
    TWITTER TWATS
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    BAC_GOTY_360PFTfront610.jpg
    this is the official arkham city GOTY edition box art

wow

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    ahahaha

the GotY art for Asylum wasn't great either

Batman+Arkham+Asylum+Game+of+the+Year+3D+Xbox+360.jpg

CYpGAPn.png
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    gonna say that's still (justice) leagues better

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    The marketing/promotion aspect of arkham city is...well it's fucking awful. I'm not sure if this is more or less crazy than the pre-order batman skin flowchart they had out before the game or not..

that is...fucking ridiculous looking

7656367.jpg
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I like this one better.
    original.jpg
    Or this one
    original.jpg

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    Glad I already have a copy - it's a fantastic game, but that box "art" would have opposite the desired effect on me, or any rational consumer.

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    The braille on the box is a nice touch.

• CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    what is it with all the detractors acting so smarmy?
    Because the Web.

Fuck 'em. It's trending 97/98% critics/audiences on Rotten Tomatoes and is guaranteed to make over $1 billion worldwide. Hell, I'm going to see it eventually* and I hate Joss Whedon and care for none of the Avengers in the movie as well as my whole "This is just Ultimates" perspective. Let them act smarmy and contrarian because I assure you a huge majority of that 97/98% are not invested it in like the comic fans are. Just relish that people do and will like it a ton, and leave them to their hater circle-jerk. I hate to even say this, but this is a movie my mother would have dragged me to see, and that all her friends/coworkers will see because it looks fun (Which is the same reason Michael Bay movies make boatloads of cash), only it's something every comics fan and creator I know or know of who HAS seen it thinks is the greatest comic movie ever.

Crimsondude on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    I'm more dreading the eventual "DKR was way better than Avengers" and vice versa arguments. I mean it is fair to compare the two but they are completely different movies tonally. And yes I can safely assume that without watching either of them.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Ugh, so there is some rumors going around that they are going to cancel Avengers EMH and launching a new avengers series in the Ultimate Spider-Man verse :(

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
    Well that would suck. Cause that universe sucks.

Makes me wonder just how much power Loeb has in spearheading the animation department and if he's trying to have shows that are "his" on the lineup. This is like what's happening with American Dad right now, the new Fox head seems reluctant to renew it because it wasn't made under his reign, and he gets nothing to show for it still being on despite it being the best show on the animation block and gets much better ratings than Cleveland Show or other animation choices.

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Which DCU animated movies would you recommend to a newcomer? The lady really enjoyed All-Star Superman but Under the Red Hood was a complete miss.

From what I understand she felt like Superman did a better job of explaining what was going on and introducing the characters along with their motivations. Help :(

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    Which DCU animated movies would you recommend to a newcomer? The lady really enjoyed All-Star Superman but Under the Red Hood was a complete miss.

From what I understand she felt like Superman did a better job of explaining what was going on and introducing the characters along with their motivations. Help :(

Crisis on Two Earths is widely regarded as the best, as it has a good story and some great fighting.

• MunchMunch Registered User regular

The Wonder Woman movie was one of the better ones, and very straightforward.

Has she seen Justice League Unlimited yet? I mean, if you've got a couple hours to burn, just start with the first episode of that. I've seen that show turn more people into superhero fans, than anything else.

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Munch wrote: »

The Wonder Woman movie was one of the better ones, and very straightforward.

Has she seen Justice League Unlimited yet? I mean, if you've got a couple hours to burn, just start with the first episode of that. I've seen that show turn more people into superhero fans, than anything else.

She said she wasn't too interested in WW. Not sure why i'll have to ask about that.

I imagine JLU does a good job of setting up who the characters are then?

steam_sig.png
    Avengers post credit scene is up on youtube.

I have no willpower so I watched it.

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Avengers post credit scene is up on youtube.

I have no willpower so I watched it.

Aren't there supposed to be two?

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    I'm more dreading the eventual "DKR was way better than Avengers" and vice versa arguments. I mean it is fair to compare the two but they are completely different movies tonally. And yes I can safely assume that without watching either of them.

Could be a repeat of last year (X-Men) and Spider-man will come out of nowhere and be the best.

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • GuekGuek Registered User regular
    Ugh, so there is some rumors going around that they are going to cancel Avengers EMH and launching a new avengers series in the Ultimate Spider-Man verse :(
    K8asb.gif

no....NOOOOOOO!

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Dritz wrote: »
    wirehead26 wrote: »

Could be a repeat of last year (X-Men) and Spider-man will come out of nowhere and be the best.

Yeah I have to say that my opinion of First Class worsens every time I watch it. Captain America is still my favorite of 2011.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
This discussion has been closed.