As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Video Game Industry Thread: 300+ people lose their jobs. Curt Schilling still rich.

• AZChristopherAZChristopher Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    People should remember when they talk about the Vita that the 3DS was
    "doomed" last year. 3DS is doing dandy now.

True, but the 3DS never did THIS badly. Vita games have been absolutely absent from the top 20 for, well, most of the system's life. At least the 3DS managed to have one or two games straggle on the charts before its price drop.

Now that we have numbers. Ouch. The game at 20 sold less than 4k and still no Vita games on the list. I wonder what the 8k new Vita owners purchased.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

True, but the 3DS never did THIS badly. Vita games have been absolutely absent from the top 20 for, well, most of the system's life. At least the 3DS managed to have one or two games straggle on the charts before its price drop.

A better example; just look at the post above and check the last year's week column. 3DS did 23k post earthquake/tsunami pre pricecut. Last time Vita did 23k? It's fourth week right during New Years. Hasn't been above 20k since.

According to wiki, at that point the 3DS had been out two months.

...yeah, that's worrying.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • AllforceAllforce Registered User regular

Now that we have numbers. Ouch. The game at 20 sold less than 4k and still no Vita games on the list. I wonder what the 8k new Vita owners purchased.

PSP jrpgs

• maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    It's pretty crazy how much history repeats itself. Folks were beating the drum this time last year about how much the Vita was going to absolutely decimate the 3DS; how the 3DS didn't stand a chance in the marketplace against the Vita.

Much like how the PSP was supposed to wipe the floor with the DS at its launch.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Sure, maybe at this time last year. (Was the Vita even officially announced yet?) but as launch got closer most clear thinking people looked at their respective announced lineups and went, yep, Vita isn't going to do well in Japan and has the stigma of the PSP to overcome in the west.

PSP over DS though made a ton of sense. PS2 was at its height, PSP genuinely looked as if it was from the future, DS had some horrible design issues and despite the mega success of the GBA it looked like all the big guns were going to PSP. It actually took quite a bit for the DS to get over the PSP and it didn't really bury it until the DS Lite came out.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    To be fair, everyone thought the 3DS was gonna flop because it was stupidly expensive and hadn't had a large influx of games.

Kinda like the DS launch. Took, what? A year or so before it caught on? And it had a reasonable price tag even.

Yeah, betting on the PSP had some real logic to it at release. The system could produce visuals that were a LOT more advanced than the DS, the PlayStation brand was still on top, the DS didn't really have great games for a year and man, that fattie design was downright fugly.

That said I'm not really sure what the Vita can do to recover at this point other than a one-two punch of a drastic price drop and some awesome games at more or less the same time in the very near future, but that doesn't seem to be in the cards.

• RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    For what it's worth, the producer of Lumines said this:

http://vita.ign.com/articles/122/1223193p1.html
    "The only thing that is going to hold Sony back from succeeding with the Vita is having the right games," Mielke said. "And one of the benefits of working on the developer side in Japan is I know for a fact that they've got some games that, when they announce them, people are going to forget about all of the problems that they're imagining with the Vita."

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Even if they didn't price drop - if they just did some really good promo like throw in a good sized memory card and your choice of 5-10 PSP games. It would be a win/win situation - they might get more sales but it also gets the new system owners in the habit of buying digitally and checking out the large existing library that's available (and doesn't really cost Sony anything).

The Lumines producer failed them the most; that game almost became Lumines:Daft Punk edition, which clearly would have been a gozillion seller.

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    The Lumines producer failed them the most; that game almost became Lumines:Daft Punk edition, which clearly would have been a gozillion seller.

I think you are seriously overestimating the popularity of Daft Punk

Ask the average American who Daft Punk is and you will draw blank stares

HOGILLION Copies.

• RobesRobes Registered User regular

Ask the average American what the Vita is.

It's a gaming device, appealing to gamers. Gamers probably know who Daft Punk is.

"Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular

Admittedly, if it wasn't for Tron Legacy I wouldn't know who they were.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    It would have sold at least as well as DJ Hero. Featuring such famous people as DJ Whatsisface, the other DJ Whatsisface, and That Guy With Random Numbers In His Name.

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Robes wrote: »

It's a gaming device, appealing to gamers. Gamers probably know who Daft Punk is.

Perhaps the crowd that would actually call themselves "gamers," sure

Problem is, those aren't the kind of numbers you should go for

A niche band is fine

You shouldn't want your device to be niche

The millions and millions of people that heard Kanye West's "Stronger" and didn't know where the sample came from? That's the size audience you should be aiming for

UnbreakableVow on
  • RobesRobes Registered User regular
    Robes wrote: »

Perhaps the crowd that would actually call themselves "gamers," sure

Problem is, those aren't the kind of numbers you should go for

A niche band is fine

You shouldn't want your device to be niche

It's sort of the Vita's problem right now, sadly. The price tag makes it unappealing to casual gamers. The advertised "Cross-Platform functionality" with the PS3. It is a niche device :(.

"Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

What the what. Go here and make your purchase. Or listen to them on youtube, whatever. It's their best album.

For real though, Daft Punk has enough music to fill a music game, easy. Especially if you count remixes and collaborations.

But I don't know how well it would have done as a boxed product. Maybe a big DLC pack for a standard Lumines game?

• maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    It would have sold at least as well as DJ Hero. Featuring such famous people as DJ Whatsisface, the other DJ Whatsisface, and That Guy With Random Numbers In His Name.

And the guy with the big foam mouse head and the greasy-looking guy with the long hair and glasses.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    And that crack addict dead guy who survived a plane crash

• TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    It's pretty crazy how much history repeats itself. Folks were beating the drum this time last year about how much the Vita was going to absolutely decimate the 3DS; how the 3DS didn't stand a chance in the marketplace against the Vita.

Nobody thought the PSP was going to wipe the floor with the DS at launch. Not at that price. People expected a slow, long fight for dominance.

People expected the Vita to destroy the 3DS because they were initially priced the same.

Amazon has restocked a bunch of Atlus PS2 RPGs and is selling them for $20/piece. Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, Persona 3 FES, Persona 4, and Digital Devil Saga 1&2. Guess there's still a good deal of demand for them even after all these years.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    skeldare wrote: »

What the what. Go here and make your purchase. Or listen to them on youtube, whatever. It's their best album.

For real though, Daft Punk has enough music to fill a music game, easy. Especially if you count remixes and collaborations.

But I don't know how well it would have done as a boxed product. Maybe a big DLC pack for a standard Lumines game?

He might be referring to the fact that everybody has heard Daft Punk, but the layman doesn't know it's two French dudes in robot masks and not a solo DJ or band.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Does Media Create include digital downloads?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular

Nobody thought the PSP was going to wipe the floor with the DS at launch. Not at that price. People expected a slow, long fight for dominance.

People expected the Vita to destroy the 3DS because they were initially priced the same.

And I never understood the logic behind that thinking.

3DS at $250: Oh lol, it's too expensive, what a ripoff.
    Vita at $250: OMG they're giving it away it's so cheap!

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    If you remember the hyperbole back in 2004 people thought that the PSP cost about 800 dollars to manufacture. The PSP therefore was a steal at its launch price.

Bundled with Spiderman 2 no less!

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular

I think it has more to do with expectations. People expect Nintendo consoles/handhelds to be reasonably priced. People were also expecting the Vita to be much more expensive than it actually ended up being.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Those numbers in Japan are crazy. With that launch, it makes one of the best selling Fire Emblem games ever. It tore apart Kid Icarus at launch, and Nintendo advertised the heck out of KI.

Yeesh, not sure about the Vita. The Lumines guy maybe knows something about what Sony will be announcing at E3...but I don't know...he says "Imagined problems" like the Vita is doing fine, and that makes me doubt his ability to know what does what, as the Vita is anything but fine so far.

I am interested in what Sony has in the wings, as they don't have a franchise of the selling caliber of Mario, and Sony won't allow any major franchise of theirs put a non-spinoff game on their handhelds. They wouldn't allow Uncharted 5 or God of War 23 to be exclusive to the Vita...so that's out. Maybe they'll have some sort of cross mojination for Sony Smash Bros between the Vita and PS3.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    yeah it pretty much comes down to hardware costs, it's like saying

"french press at $250: Oh lol, it's too expensive, what a ripoff.
    fancy latte machine at $250: OMG they're giving it away it's so cheap!
    "

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
    edited April 2012

That's not hard to figure out. People (Well, the kind of people who post on video game forums) thought the technology in the Vita was more impressive than the 3DS therefore felt it was a better deal at the price.

Practically PS3 tech vs. PS2 tech with a 3D effect that may or may not work right = Most people prefer the better graphics to the unreliable 3D effect.

The reason why the 3DS is selling so well isn't the technology (the whole 3D fad bubble kind of burst right before the 3DS came out) - it's the fact that it's at a decent price and has exclusive games in popular series.

RainbowDespair on
    Yea, the 3D bandwagon jumping I think partially hurt Nintendo. They assumed it was going to be a big hit, but like Rainbow said, that bubble burst before the handheld hit the shores.

It's doing super effective now because Nintendo played a surprising card: Aggressive price dropping/giving away a truck load of free games + Bringing all their big guns to the party.

Once again: Mario + Mario Kart = super sales
    Japan: Mario + Mario Kart + Monster Hunter = Godzilla sized stomping!

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    I'd wait until the summer, after E3 to pass judgement on the systems failures (or lack of). It's too early to tell whether or not Sony will have their shit together by then.

Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
    I'd wait until the summer, after E3 to pass judgement on the systems failures (or lack of). It's too early to tell whether or not Sony will have their shit together by then.

Doesn't stop people from doing it though. The 3DS was selling better than the Vita and was being declared the fall of Nintendo.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    Like I've said, E3 is going to be absolutely critical for Vita.

All this portable talk just seems to remind that a console's horsepower has surprisingly little to do with its sales.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Play "One More Time" for them. They'll go "Oh, those people".

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Like I've said, E3 is going to be absolutely critical for Vita.

All this portable talk just seems to remind that a console's horsepower has surprisingly little to do with its sales.

One thing I could really see helping the 3DS continue to pick up steam in sales is the non-game games that are built into the system. Streetpassing, Swapnotes, and play coins very much encourage you to keep the system with you all the time, and to convince your friends to buy one to streetpass with them and share game info like track challenges in MK7 and bonuses in SM3DL.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's partly the reason we're seeing the 3DS continue to sell well in Japan. The populated areas are seeing more and more of them, and when there are more of them for people to show off what it can do when you run into another 3DS, there's even more reason to buy one.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    Meanwhile, in my secondary metro area, I can go weeks without a single goddamn Streetpass hit. And I'm not exactly a hermit.

It is weird that while Vita's Near is tuned to pretty much guarantee you plenty of hits, the 3DS is much better about making sure you keep it in your pants. Lab mice hitting a randomized feeder bar and all that.

Meanwhile, in my secondary metro area, I can go weeks without a single goddamn Streetpass hit. And I'm not exactly a hermit.

It is weird that while Vita's Near is tuned to pretty much guarantee you plenty of hits, the 3DS is much better about making sure you keep it in your pants. Lab mice hitting a randomized feeder bar and all that.

This is true for me. I carry my 3DS everywhere, moreso than I did my DS. I do it just in case I end up getting a hit. :P

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    That's not hard to figure out. People (Well, the kind of people who post on video game forums) thought the technology in the Vita was more impressive than the 3DS therefore felt it was a better deal at the price.

Practically PS3 tech vs. PS2 tech with a 3D effect that may or may not work right = Most people prefer the better graphics to the unreliable 3D effect.

The reason why the 3DS is selling so well isn't the technology (the whole 3D fad bubble kind of burst right before the 3DS came out) - it's the fact that it's at a decent price and has exclusive games in popular series.

Ehh. Caveats apply, but on the whole Vita is probably closer to 3DS than PS3. OLED helps the impression of it, definitely.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

Yeah, I didn't start getting streetpasses randomly until after this past Christmas. Even now I only get them rarely when I'm in the mall or walking through a populated city (like Philadelphia). My streetpasses come from a select few people I know where to find them (friend of mine, guy at church, and GameStop employee). But as more and more are sold, I'm sure that will start to increase just like the number of DS handhelds you see kids with.

It really is a brilliant business decision to support 'unnecessary' extras that will keep the console on people's minds and in their pockets. It's been a rare day when I'll go without my 3DS. Just because I want to keep the pedometer going. And it works for games too. Sakura Samurai has a garden that will bloom trees every 10k+ steps. I've dedicated 148k steps to that "minigame" alone, and bloomed 8 trees for the little extras that show up.j

But when you're competing with smartphones that are always on hand, you need to give people as many reasons as possible to keep using your device.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
This discussion has been closed.