As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Diablo 3] Diablo walks the Earth in 5 days. Single digits omg

• SkabSkab Registered User regular
    Was this mentioned here yet?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4662357867?page=1#8
    In my actual experience (admittedly, with a full build that reflects where the game was in difficulty a month ago), I had to push my demon hunter up to level 32 to get out of Normal, and up to 55 to get out of Nightmare.

So we might actually be maxed a for a chunk of Hell instead of reaching it towards the end.

steam_sig.png
  • renixinqrenixinq Registered User regular
    renixinq wrote: »
    This wrote: »
    I have a hardware question. My computer is a few years old, and it is capable of running D3 but it doesn't look too great. I'm wondering if I can do a cheap upgrade (like video card/RAM) without a complete overhaul, that will make a difference.

Here's what I have:
    Intel Core 2 Duo 1.86 Ghz
    2 Gigs of RAM
    Nvidia GeForce 7900 GS

Any hardware smart people on here that could suggest where my best bet would be in terms of performace:dollars? In the beta I could get decent performance out of running at the lowest 16:10 resolution with minimized graphics settings. With vsync on, I would be at 60fps while walking through empty hallways and 30fps during combat.

If I were to upgrade the video card, would it matter? Or do I have a processor and/or RAM bottleneck?

For consumer purposes outside of rendering/encoding video there is pretty much nothing in the world that is processor-bound anymore.

An AMD 7770 and 8GB of RAM will set you back roughly $200 and vastly improve your performance.

That's not true. Granted Diablo is not CPU intensive but go play Battlefield on an older core 2 duo then switch to a quad core i5 and with everything else the same you can double or triple your FPS.

And you're way off on the price there. 8GB of DDR2 (Core 2 Duo remember) is expensive (150+). Another 2GB would be fine here and only about $40. The 7770 would be a good card but is slightly overpriced compared to a 6850 or 6870 that would perform better. Honestly, I think if you just put a 6670 or 6770 in that machine even with 2GB of RAM you could play at 1080 on medium with no AA with no problems. Plus the final release will be optimized even more so than the beta. It's not going to take a lot of horse power to get this game looking good.

Those prices were lifted directly off NewEgg (RAM, video card.) 6770 would probably be fine but is only $20 or so cheaper.

LGA775-based boards mostly run DDR3 if he bought it in the last three years or so (likely.)

Sorry, not trying to be a dick here promise, I'm just a nerd.

It's much more common for the LGA775 to be DDR2 and judging by the clock speed on his processor my guess he has an E6300 which is a first gen C2D which was released in '06. That would fit with the timeline of the 7900GS he also has. The E6300 was out of mainstream production by the time LGA 775 DDR3 capable mobos even started to appear let alone become reasonably priced.

And the 6770 can be had for sub-hundred pretty easy by shopping around (amazon) which would make it a pretty cheap upgrade and a 6670 can be had for around $70 quite often.

I really want to do a move speed monk to start. I'm probably not doing the math right but I think you can get a constant 40% increase in movespeed with this build. That is basically always the sprint skill from barb active which I can get behind.

Diablo 3:renixinq#1812
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Skab wrote: »

In my actual experience (admittedly, with a full build that reflects where the game was in difficulty a month ago), I had to push my demon hunter up to level 32 to get out of Normal, and up to 55 to get out of Nightmare.

So we might actually be maxed a for a chunk of Hell instead of reaching it towards the end.

Yeah I think that Hell is designed to make us level 60 at the end of it so that we can jump right into Inferno and stand a chance.

Yeah I think that Hell is designed to make us level 60 at the end of it so that we can jump right into Inferno and stand a chance.

Actually they have also said in the past that we would have to linger around in Hell to get good enough gear to even be able to begin pushing into Inferno, so I don't think we will be able to just jump right into it. But who knows. I always kind of feel like developers underestimate their fanbase with that sort of thing.

steam_sig.png
  • Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Donnicton wrote: »
    forty wrote: »
    OK, I think I figured out what's going on with Spider Jar and why people had such a different impression of it during the stress test. I looked at the D3 skills page, and it's currently listed with a mana cost of 5. That's about 10% of the cost it had a patch or two ago. No wonder people said they could spam it infinitely. Not to rain on any spider parades, but I have to think that the current mana cost is a mistake and it's going to be bumped back up by retail, because I don't think the design of the WD is to have any "cheap as free" spells unless they're constrained by a cooldown. Almost all of the spammable DH spells have a non-negligible mana cost.

Yes. In the CBT a while back, my Witch Doctor would most certainly be out of mana after a handful of jars. The damage is per spider, so it could do stupid amounts of damage if you got a small army up, but it was constricted by decent mana costs.

I'm almost positive that this is not the intended use of the ability as it is now.

When I was playing through as the Witch Doctor this weekend I deliberately tested out how many actual spiders you can have at once. The spiders actually die off pretty quickly. When you're throwing out your third/fourth jar, your first jar spiders are already dying off.

I could see it being an issue if the spiders didn't die on a timer and had their own HP levels... but as is, I think it's fine.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • SuckafishSuckafish Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

Actually they have also said in the past that we would have to linger around in Hell to get good enough gear to even be able to begin pushing into Inferno, so I don't think we will be able to just jump right into it. But who knows. I always kind of feel like developers underestimate their fanbase with that sort of thing.

More recently I remember reading that the Inferno difficulty has been adjusted such that it increases across acts, and the step from Hell act IV to Inferno act I is not a huge leap. Inferno act III and IV are said to be crazy hard.
    Donnicton wrote: »
    OK, I think I figured out what's going on with Spider Jar and why people had such a different impression of it during the stress test. I looked at the D3 skills page, and it's currently listed with a mana cost of 5. That's about 10% of the cost it had a patch or two ago. No wonder people said they could spam it infinitely. Not to rain on any spider parades, but I have to think that the current mana cost is a mistake and it's going to be bumped back up by retail, because I don't think the design of the WD is to have any "cheap as free" spells unless they're constrained by a cooldown. Almost all of the spammable DH spells have a non-negligible mana cost.

Yes. In the CBT a while back, my Witch Doctor would most certainly be out of mana after a handful of jars. The damage is per spider, so it could do stupid amounts of damage if you got a small army up, but it was constricted by decent mana costs.

I'm almost positive that this is not the intended use of the ability as it is now.

When I was playing through as the Witch Doctor this weekend I deliberately tested out how many actual spiders you can have at once. The spiders actually die off pretty quickly. When you're throwing out your third/fourth jar, your first jar spiders are already dying off.

I could see it being an issue if the spiders didn't die on a timer and had their own HP levels... but as is, I think it's fine.

Am I the only one that preferred triple poison dart to spiders? Something about indirect damage bothers me. They felt comparable in raw damage too...

Poison dart with the splinters rune = 60% weapon damage x 3 = 180% weapon damage, directed where you please

Jumping spiders = 19% x 4 = 76% weapon damage, directed to an area but not a specific target. Spiders attack once before dying, or multiple times? Felt like multiple... I could see either 2 or 3 attacks, to bring it in line with the dart damage.

Suckafish on
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Suckafish wrote: »
    Am I the only one that preferred triple poison dart to spiders? Something about indirect damage bothers me. They felt comparable in raw damage too...

Poison dart with the splinters rune = 60% weapon damage x 3 = 180% weapon damage, directed where you please

Jumping spiders = 19% x 4 = 76% weapon damage, directed to an area but not a specific target. Spiders attack once before dying, or multiple times? Felt like multiple... I could see either 2 or 3 attacks, to bring it in line with the dart damage.

I don't think anyone using jar of spiders was all that concerned with the actual damage, tho. It was more the fact you were THROWING A JAR OF SPIDERS.

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I passed on CE last time Amazon had them up. I figured $40 wasn't worth it since I really only want the art book and soundtrack. But then again, it's $40 for those things and you can't get them anywhere else (and I'm sure if you even tried to get those on eBay it would cost more than that).

Anyone not want their art book or soundtrack from their CE? :D

Honestly... I'm paying the extra money for the nostalgia and my love of the series. The goodies are fine and all, but there isn't anything that I care about enormously. It's more because I spent so much personal time with these games, I wanted to express my excitement with some extra money.

It's entirely stupid and nonsensical, but I don't care. It was a purely emotional decision and sometimes that's fine.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • djfantasticadjfantastica Registered User new member
    After playing the open beta this weekend, I am even more unsure which class I want to roll first. I really like the witch doctor but it doesn't seem like he does any damage. The spiders are neat but you have to spam jars all day to do any serious deeps. The zombie dogs were pretty beast, but the poison dart didn't seem to do much damage either. It definitely seems like a class that won't "come into its own" until you are a few levels in with some decent gear, which is fine, but very different from how the monk/barb/wizard can just start nuking stuff right away. I haven't tried the Demon Hunter but I heard it is even more OP.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I passed on CE last time Amazon had them up. I figured $40 wasn't worth it since I really only want the art book and soundtrack. But then again, it's $40 for those things and you can't get them anywhere else (and I'm sure if you even tried to get those on eBay it would cost more than that).

Anyone not want their art book or soundtrack from their CE? :D

Honestly... I'm paying the extra money for the nostalgia and my love of the series. The goodies are fine and all, but there isn't anything that I care about enormously. It's more because I spent so much personal time with these games, I wanted to express my excitement with some extra money.

It's entirely stupid and nonsensical, but I don't care. It was a purely emotional decision and sometimes that's fine.

I think it was a combination of both for me. I love the Diablo series, way more than Starcraft or Warcraft. So I felt that I almost had to buy the CE. Then I learned that you get in-game wings, and the huge fucking art book. I was more than happy to pony up the extra money.

I ordered it when the release date was announced though, so hope my order isn't swept aside.

KoopahTroopah on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Are they going to have an open beta at any point before release?

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular

Then what would Inferno be like? Only for maxxed out characters?

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • MukkMukk Registered User regular
    The advantage of the spiders over the dart is that you can toss them over other enemies. With the darts, you can't target an enemy behind another one without moving around. The wizard's Arcane Torrent is similar to the spider jar. Sometimes it's really handy to be able to target whichever enemy or enemies you want.

• El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
  • Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    Riokenn wrote: »

Yes. That's been Inferno's design since the beginning.

Suckafish wrote: »

More recently I remember reading that the Inferno difficulty has been adjusted such that it increases across acts, and the step from Hell act IV to Inferno act I is not a huge leap. Inferno act III and IV are said to be crazy hard.

They also said that they didn't make any part of Inferno easier with that change, they only made it get harder as you go. So I would think that means we still wont be able to just dive right into it after completing Hell.

steam_sig.png
    edited April 2012
    Figgy wrote: »

You just missed an open beta weekend, not sure when/if there will be a next one.

Yeah, Inferno sounds like the end game content.The original design was to have every monster in the game be rescaled to level 61, but they changed the dynamic so that Inferno scales too. I think they mentioned a 61-65 level range or something like that in one of the interviews.

KoopahTroopah on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular

You just missed an open beta weekend, not sure when/if there will be a next one.

:shock:

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • ShurakaiShurakai Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    The Jar of Spiders power felt weak to me.

Its like I'm pricking a monster to death with tiny needles, instead of melting them with poison or causing them to explode.

That and I dislike that they disappear so quickly. I'd rather they stick around for twice as long and do half or less damage.

Shurakai on
  • Dropping LoadsDropping Loads Registered User regular
    The spiders also have a character model and occupy space on the ground. It's not a perfect wall, but if you spam spiders in a narrow area it can prevent monsters from reaching you.

Sceptre: Penny Arcade, where you get starcraft AND marriage advice.
    3clipse: The key to any successful marriage is a good mid-game transition.
  • ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular

Yeah, it was this past weekend, and there very likely wont be another one as the closed beta ends May 1st.

hLeTR.png
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Vi Monks wrote: »

I like that. I'm going to end up playing this game pretty slowly, so I probably won't hit Inferno until August or so. But since it's about the challenge and finding the best gear, and you can find that gear anywhere, it should be pretty interesting.

ultimakay wrote: »

Yeah, it was this past weekend, and there very likely wont be another one as the closed beta ends May 1st.

Meh, you never know. They might want to test some new server code before release to make sure they're ready for the flood.

• tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Hey, so if I've downloaded the beta client will that code 'patch' itself up to the full game when I buy it or will I have to download a new client and patch that?

Urk, I hope there is no massive launch day patch.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular

I like that. I'm going to end up playing this game pretty slowly, so I probably won't hit Inferno until August or so. But since it's about the challenge and finding the best gear, and you can find that gear anywhere, it should be pretty interesting.

And then you die. For reals.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Hey, so if I've downloaded the beta client will that code 'patch' itself up to the full game when I buy it or will I have to download a new client and patch that?

Urk, I hope there is no massive launch day patch.

Release client is different than the beta one. Release is already available for download, however.

steam_sig.png
  • DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Come May 15, will the servers be up midnight or some time later in the day?

Edit: Nm, found the answer.

Now the question is whether Gamestop will be open at midnight...

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Dracil wrote: »
    Come May 15, will the servers be up midnight or some time later in the day?
    For the Americas region, comprising the U.S., Canada, Latin America, Australia, New Zealand, and South East Asia, the game servers will go live at 12:01 a.m. PDT on May 15.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/5203659/Diablo_III_Midnight_Launch_Events-4_25_2012#blog

edit: For Europe
    For the European region, the game servers will go live at 00:01 CEST on May 15
    http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/blog/4278737/Diablo_III_Launch_Events_Across_Europe-25_04_2012#blog

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png

And then you die. For reals.

Goes without saying!

• SirsonSirson Registered User regular
    After playing the open beta this weekend, I am even more unsure which class I want to roll first. I really like the witch doctor but it doesn't seem like he does any damage. The spiders are neat but you have to spam jars all day to do any serious deeps. The zombie dogs were pretty beast, but the poison dart didn't seem to do much damage either.

All of these abilities you are mentioning actually do pretty good damage and it all scales with your gear. Once your rune up the spiders/darts. Get a couple of +dmg rings/off hands. You'll be just shredding stuff.

• fortyforty Registered User regular

I wonder how Bashiok's grandmother is doing with the current build.

That wasn't Bash

steam_sig.png
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Anyone going to the Irvine Spectrum for the midnight launch? It's a 40 minute drive for me but I'm still undecided on going. Seeing all the cosplayers might be fun.

Heisenberg on
  • El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    I doubt there will be another open beta before launch. However, all indications are there will be a trial version of the game. But seriously, who isn't going to buy this game?

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    El Guaco wrote: »
    I doubt there will be another open beta before launch. However, all indications are there will be a trial version of the game. But seriously, who isn't going to buy this game?

According to the list I made back when the August info dump was made; 19, though that's down to 18 now. 14 when you account for the 4 'only on sale' folks.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • fortyforty Registered User regular

That wasn't Bash
    Not sure what that has to do with anything. I still wonder how Bashiok's grandmother is doing with the current build.

That wasn't Bash
    Not sure what that has to do with anything. I still wonder how Bashiok's grandmother is doing with the current build.

Then why even quote me!

I bet she's doing just fine though.

steam_sig.png
  • wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    I have been purposefully ignoring all info on this game but I just want to know one thing.

Do any of the classes play like the necro (monster hordes) from D2?

• StreltsyStreltsy Registered User regular
    No hordes. But witch doctor class can summon 3 zombie dogs permanently.
    He can also summon fetishes (little guys from act 3 in D2), but they only last for 20 seconds and the spell has a long cool down.

410239-1.png
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    Streltsy wrote: »
    No hordes. But witch doctor class can summon 3 zombie dogs permanently.
    He can also summon fetishes (little guys from act 3 in D2), but they only last for 20 seconds and the spell has a long cool down.
    And he can summon a gargantuan zombie which is similar to a golem.

And has a passive that ups his zombie dog count to 4.

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
This discussion has been closed.