As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STEAM] Thread 3 - Rise of the Classy Crabs

• Options
    Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    Xaviar wrote: »
    So.. I watched the trailers for that revelations game.. Why would you pay money for that?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTc7ZPMxFak
    Because.. Because you hate yourself?

[edit] The powerpoint-style slide-in animation at ~1:00 is just... no words. Should have sent a poet.
    [edit 2] Also their company name is Dark Artz Entertainment. Yes. With a Z.

Oh good lord, the framerate, it burns!

That game does look irredeemably awful. Is it the new Bad Rats?

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Xaviar wrote: »
    So.. I watched the trailers for that revelations game.. Why would you pay money for that?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTc7ZPMxFak
    Because.. Because you hate yourself?

[edit] The powerpoint-style slide-in animation at ~1:00 is just... no words. Should have sent a poet.
    [edit 2] Also their company name is Dark Artz Entertainment. Yes. With a Z.

They have the best endorsement, though.

"Revelations 2012 is a fantastic and enriching experience that immerses you into the chaos of the Mayan Revelations!"
    – Valid Gaming

Yes, Valid Gaming dot Com says it's good, must be good, guys.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    It's Valid.

You want proof?

PROOF

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I just watched the Revelations trailer on my phone, and Youtube crashed and I had to force close it.

The game is so bad it broke Youtube.

• Options
    kalkal Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I really hope there is a GB Quick Look with Vinnie and Ryan for that. It just looks terrible.

kal on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    SO how does one go about joining the steam group? I wouldnt mind playing some Civ 5 if theres ever a group playing that as well, noticing a lot of games i play in peoples sigs.

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    This is a real thing that exists, right? I mean it's not just some elaborate hoax?

Because damn.

That's a whole new level of terribad.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Apparently I should not use my wishlist as a reminder to buy games, because then @RIKdaly gifts them to me. Thanks for A Valley Without Wind!

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    MW3 free weekend coming up. Available for pre-load now.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    Drake wrote: »
    aerynkelly wrote: »
    I think it looks kinda cool, just based off that one screenshot.

Yeah, that's literally all I've seen of it, but I think that lone screenshot looks kinda neat without any context.

The UI does sort of scream "flash game" at me, but that's about it. I'd have to see more, and in motion, to really judge it though.

The trailer doesn't really do it justice. I downloaded the game just to see the art because of the discussion here and I found it to be quite charming. (Not quoted here) I don't think it's really fair to say the game has no art direction or graphic design. It just may not appeal to everyone.

One of the reasons it may look like a mess is that part of the story of AVWW is that a massive catastrophe has happened and time is a part of it. Different eras of a world are blending together. So one place you go may be Bronze Age, and have creatures and habitats that reflect that. The next accessible portion of the world could be The Age After Humans. So you are seeing scenes from gameplay showing the various ages just kind of cut and spliced together. There's even a cool "Drift" mechanic, as your Civilzation level goes up (your goal is to preserve civilization) the monsters/robots/whatever start to show up in different eras than their original ones.

Sure it's funky looking, and Hahns' criticism of throwing blobs at other blobs has a lot of validity. There is a lot of fun in there too though, if you like the gameplay, which is a procedurally generated metroidvania with full coop multiplayer. The amount of ground Arcen covered in just the last couple of months is pretty crazy, and they've promised the same level of support as AI War for AVWW. That means you can expect a pretty healthy amount of free content and polish. They've made something that has some pretty great potential.

Is it a Metroidvania? It looks a lot more like Capsized (which I did not like at all).

• Options
    SkyTurnsRedSkyTurnsRed Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    SO how does one go about joining the steam group? I wouldnt mind playing some Civ 5 if theres ever a group playing that as well, noticing a lot of games i play in peoples sigs.

Add me on Steam and I'll add you later tonight (though admittedly it won't be until like, 11 CST.)

• Options
    porcporc Registered User regular
    Well, this is interesting: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=valve_linux_dampfnudeln&num=1
    It has taken longer than most anyone would have anticipated, but the fact remains that Valve is in fact creating a native Linux port of their Steam game distribution client and of the Source Engine to run natively on Linux. Phoronix broke this story, i.e. in 2010 when announcing Valve's officially releasing Steam and the Source Engine for Linux. Unfortunately, it has taken longer for a variety of reasons, which led some gamers to think this was some Phoronix joke or that the information was inaccurate. It was not. Valve's Linux work is finally soon to see the light of day in what will more than likely be the coming months.

In part, what has taken so long is that Valve's management structure is rather flat. Anyone there is free to work on with what they wish without needing to report directly to managers assigning them with tasks, etc. There has been developers working on the Linux support for sometime, but not until recently has Gabe Newell become personally involved with the Linux client work. In fact, his desk is currently in the current Valve Linux development camp!

Apparently they've already ported L4D2 to Linux which can be seen running on Ubuntu in a few photos in that article.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Handgimp wrote: »
    Apparently I should not use my wishlist as a reminder to buy games, because then @RIKdaly gifts them to me. Thanks for A Valley Without Wind!

Even you are not immune my friend.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    porc wrote: »
    Well, this is interesting: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=valve_linux_dampfnudeln&num=1
    It has taken longer than most anyone would have anticipated, but the fact remains that Valve is in fact creating a native Linux port of their Steam game distribution client and of the Source Engine to run natively on Linux. Phoronix broke this story, i.e. in 2010 when announcing Valve's officially releasing Steam and the Source Engine for Linux. Unfortunately, it has taken longer for a variety of reasons, which led some gamers to think this was some Phoronix joke or that the information was inaccurate. It was not. Valve's Linux work is finally soon to see the light of day in what will more than likely be the coming months.

In part, what has taken so long is that Valve's management structure is rather flat. Anyone there is free to work on with what they wish without needing to report directly to managers assigning them with tasks, etc. There has been developers working on the Linux support for sometime, but not until recently has Gabe Newell become personally involved with the Linux client work. In fact, his desk is currently in the current Valve Linux development camp!

Apparently they've already ported L4D2 to Linux which can be seen running on Ubuntu in a few photos in that article.

Wow, I just put Ubuntu on my laptop (through WUBI) to play with, and that's great news.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    Handgimp wrote: »

Yeah that's pretty much what I use mine for too, it's very rare to see a game on your wishlist so I had to take the chance while it was there!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Time Gentlemen Please and Ben there Dan That for $1.

I'd buy that for a dollar.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

It's well worth full price.

One of the funniest games of recent years.

• Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    Dang, for a dolla?
    Boughted!

• Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    Lord_Snot wrote: »

It's well worth full price.

One of the funniest games of recent years.

Just so there's an opposing view, I'd gladly pay someone a dollar just so it's not in my game list any more. I only played TGP, and hated every second of it. Ended up running through the final ~1/3 of the game with a walkthrough just so I could say I finished it. I fully acknowledge that I am of the minority view on this, though. I just don't think it was for me.

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Looks like Bastion is headed to Mac according to the registry. Dunno if there's any mac gamers around here, but hey, more Bastion is good Bastion. Probably also means a sale soon.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Drake wrote: »
    aerynkelly wrote: »
    I think it looks kinda cool, just based off that one screenshot.

Yeah, that's literally all I've seen of it, but I think that lone screenshot looks kinda neat without any context.

The UI does sort of scream "flash game" at me, but that's about it. I'd have to see more, and in motion, to really judge it though.

The trailer doesn't really do it justice. I downloaded the game just to see the art because of the discussion here and I found it to be quite charming. (Not quoted here) I don't think it's really fair to say the game has no art direction or graphic design. It just may not appeal to everyone.

One of the reasons it may look like a mess is that part of the story of AVWW is that a massive catastrophe has happened and time is a part of it. Different eras of a world are blending together. So one place you go may be Bronze Age, and have creatures and habitats that reflect that. The next accessible portion of the world could be The Age After Humans. So you are seeing scenes from gameplay showing the various ages just kind of cut and spliced together. There's even a cool "Drift" mechanic, as your Civilzation level goes up (your goal is to preserve civilization) the monsters/robots/whatever start to show up in different eras than their original ones.

Sure it's funky looking, and Hahns' criticism of throwing blobs at other blobs has a lot of validity. There is a lot of fun in there too though, if you like the gameplay, which is a procedurally generated metroidvania with full coop multiplayer. The amount of ground Arcen covered in just the last couple of months is pretty crazy, and they've promised the same level of support as AI War for AVWW. That means you can expect a pretty healthy amount of free content and polish. They've made something that has some pretty great potential.

Is it a Metroidvania? It looks a lot more like Capsized (which I did not like at all).

Yeah, you explore to find resources to upgrade your spells and enchantments, build your settlement, push back the Wind and then take on the evil overlord of the continent and his lieutenants. As you achieve objectives the continent becomes more and more dangerous, providing new challenges to overcome. All of this is procedurally generated with multiplayer. I haven't tried any MP yet but if I have it right you don't have to be in the same chunk together. You can go off, do your own thing or group up and whatever. And the game is built from the ground up to be expanded.

And once you beat the continents evil overlord a new continent is opened up, and it has its own evil overlord and all. With new content that doesn't unlock until you beat the first continent. It's really nothing like Capsized at all, and more of a Metroidvania/Roguelike mash-up.

• Options
    SkyEyeSkyEye Registered User regular
    So is Toy Soldiers up on Steam? I want to play it, but can't find it.

Steam: Autumn_Thunder - SC2: AutumnThundr.563 (NA) - Hearthstone: AutumnThundr.1383

• Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    porc wrote: »

Wow, I just put Ubuntu on my laptop (through WUBI) to play with, and that's great news.

Steam on Linux would pretty much guarantee my complete migration from Windows to Linux. I'd still keep it for a couple things, but Linux would definitely become my primary OS at that point.

2013: The Year of Open Source Gaming

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular
    Forgive my ignorance...but even with a Linux Steam client, you're still stuck playing only Linux games...right?

• Options

The fact that no one has made a good Robocop game is a real shame.

Also, Steam/Source on Linux sounds pretty boss. I'm a Windows man myself, but more Steam platforms means more Steam gamers and that's cool for all of us.

I've dicked around with a few distros in the past, so this might give me more incentive to start dual booting again.

• Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    I really disagree about Dead Space 1 being a bad port. It has issues, yes, but most of these can easily be sorted out.

1. Disable vsync in the game settings. Then force vsync using your video card control panel. That right there solves most problems.

2. You may want to adjust mouse sensitivity to suit your needs. I have mine set to maximum, which works fine.

3. You can't map movement to the arrow keys within the game, which was a problem for me. You can however download a remapped controls.rmp file from the internets. I can't remember exactly where I got it, but Google it and I'm sure you'll find it.

4. You can also remap controls the hard way. Check out this thread for help on that.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2026208

The only thing that annoys is that the game will only recognize three of my five mouse buttons, which is a bother, but sadly not unusual when it comes to PC games. It's a minor nit, though, and the game itself is really good. The audio is outstanding and I would recommend using headphones.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    It looks like you just made a compelling argument about why Dead Space 1 *is* a bad port, heh.

• Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    I loved the first Ben and Dan game. I thought the second sucked. Worth a dollar and a walkthrough run at the very least.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Darlan wrote: »
    It looks like you just made a compelling argument about why Dead Space 1 *is* a bad port, heh.

I disagree. Like I said in my post, fixing the vsync issue solves most problems. It's an easy fix that only takes a couple of minutes. Mouse sensitivity is a matter of personal preference and most gamers will prefer to play with WASD, rather than the arrow keys.

Also note that these are technical issues, not actually bugs. Saint's Row 2 would IMO be a better example of a bad port, as it has more bugs than a rain forest.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    It's a solid game, I'd recommend playing with a 360 controller. I assume everyone has one, if not, get one, they're a solid investment.

Also, does anyone ever actually leave vsync turned on? Turning it off is step 1 every time I play a game.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »
    Roshin wrote: »
    2. You may want to adjust mouse sensitivity to suit your needs. I have mine set to maximum, which works fine.
    Even at max sensitivity, It felt like it was at almost zero. It would take so many passes just to be able to turn around, and even just trying to AIM at enemies made it feel like Isaac was covered in some sticky goo, while trying to move through water.

And yes. This was with Vsync disabled in game.

This was my experience, and I recall Yod asking me about this as well because it happened to him and he couldn't find a satisfactory fix either.

I eventually just had to play with controller, because playing with mouse wasn't strictly impossible, merely agonizingly terrible.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Even at max sensitivity, It felt like it was at almost zero. It would take so many passes just to be able to turn around, and even just trying to AIM at enemies made it feel like Isaac was covered in some sticky goo, while trying to move through water.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    Dead space 1 was the reason I got a 360 pad.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    heenato wrote: »

You can adjust mouse sensitivity beyond what the game allows. I haven't done this myself (and have no idea if it will help you), so I'll just quote from the sticky at the Dead Space forum.

"You can 'fix' the mouse movement failing by going to C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Local\Electronic Arts opening up the settings.txt and edit the mouse sensitivity to a higher than allowed by game settings value. My Control.MouseSensitivity = 2.50000000 is atm."

Link to thread: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=20430603#post20430603

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dead Space plays fine using a Sixaxis/Dual Shock 3 and Motioninjoy as well.

With Motioninjoy you can find an offline plugin on the MJ forums and then add it to your firewall's blacklist and you won't have to worry about ads when you start the
    xinput emulator up.

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Yeah everything you said was what made it a bad port. What you described wasn't a few nagging issues, it was just symptoms of a really lazy, bad port. It doesn't matter how much you disagree with that assessment, because it's true regardless. I'm not saying that the game is bad or that people shouldn't play it, but that they should likely prepare themselves for a headache first.

Dead Space 2 is a good port.

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Yes, it can be FIXED....but that doesn't make it a good port. A good port would be where that stuff doesn't HAPPEN. Yes, you CAN fix problems....but they shouldn't BE THERE in the first place.

To me, a "Good port" is, first and foremost "How well will this game work WITHOUT having to FIX it" Then comes things like consolization.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Welp, I guess I'm done with Metro 2033. Got to Polis station after a long stretch of outdoors with no filters left. Get inside to a place with merchants. None are selling filters. Go right back outside. Die within 3 minutes.

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    What's a better investment?

Wired 360 controller
    Wireless adapter for PC to use the 2 360 controllers I already have
    PS3 controller since my laptop has bluetooth

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I got a cheap 10 buck wireless adapter for my 360 controller and it works flawlessly.

Safest route is probably the wired controller though. PS3 should work fine but you'll get to mess with some software when running it all the time generally so it can be a small hassle.

Corpekata on
This discussion has been closed.