As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Really Weird Bruise

ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I have this deep purple bruise on the side of my ankle/foot. It started out greyish, and has slowly turned deep purple. It's pretty big, and seems to be getting worse. It is not at all painful. Like, I can hit it, and it doesn't feel abnormal at all.

What the fuck?

Keep in mind I have no medical insurance, and, at the moment, no job, so I'm hesitant to go see a doctor.

Thanatos on

• drinkinstoutdrinkinstout Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    is it spreading or just changing color? If it is spreading, then there is definitly cause for concern but most bruises, from my experience tend to get smaller and go from your purple -> green and then slowly back to normal as the dead blood cells get reabsorbed.

drinkinstout on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Did you do any strenuos exercise recently? Or running in poor shoes?

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • BokiBoki __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Man why don't you get Medical Insurance? ASAP

Boki on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Boki wrote: »
    Man why don't you get Medical Insurance? ASAP
    Because you touch yourself at night, Datarape.

Thanatos on
    edited July 2007
    Preacher wrote: »
    No, in fact, I've been getting much less exercise than I normally do. I wear sandals, but they're the same sandals I always wear.

Thanatos on
  • NozzNozz Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    step in any food dyes lately?

Nozz on
    4811 3493 4349: Pearl FC
    This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between posts. Please try again in 1 seconds.
  • Butterfly4uButterfly4u Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If the bruise is getting bigger you may still be bleeding internally.

Butterfly4u on
    Butterfly
    edited July 2007
    Thanatos wrote: »
    No, in fact, I've been getting much less exercise than I normally do. I wear sandals, but they're the same sandals I always wear.

Well I see you recently moved to the wonderful western washington, have you been in any woodlands as of late? Perhaps a spider bite is the answer? Or some other bug bite?

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited July 2007
    Well I see you recently moved to the wonderful western washington, have you been in any woodlands as of late? Perhaps a spider bite is the answer? Or some other bug bite?
    I'm from Bumfuck, Northern California. I guarantee there are more and more dangerous varieties of flora there than there are here. That would be a crazy fucking spider bite, to be doing that and not cause any pain.

And yeah, I think it's gotten a bit bigger since I first noticed it.

Thanatos on
  • Arch Guru XXArch Guru XX Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Sounds to me a lot like the bruise I got when I sprained my ankle, but I'd hope you would be aware if you had done that. From what you've described it might be draining from a different injury higher up on your leg. If you aren't feeling pain anywhere but this thing keeps getting bigger I would see a doctor about it.

Arch Guru XX on
    Should have been a rock star.
    edited July 2007
    Sounds to me a lot like the bruise I got when I sprained my ankle, but I'd hope you would be aware if you had done that. From what you've described it might be draining from a different injury higher up on your leg. If you aren't feeling pain anywhere but this thing keeps getting bigger I would see a doctor about it.
    Like, maybe if, say, hypothetically, I'd hit my shin really hard climbing over a fence, that might have caused a bruise that would be draining into there?

Thanatos on
  • NerissaNerissa Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Honestly, there are so many things that can cause bruising, and some of them can be serious. The ones that aren't should generally start getting better in a couple of days. If you've got any sort of break in the skin, you could try some Neosporin. Even if you don't, it's probably not going to hurt anything.

If it doesn't start looking at least a little better in a couple of days (say 2-4), or if it keeps appearing to get worse, I'd bite the bullet and see a doctor. As much as you don't want to pay for a spurious doctor visit, you also don't want to lose your leg if it turns out to be something serious. :P

Nerissa on
    edited July 2007
    They have cheapish clinics up here, stuff like check? medical is basically a place you can bop in and get something looked at for not too much. Though its been a while since I was brought to one of their clinics.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Arch Guru XXArch Guru XX Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Like, maybe if, say, hypothetically, I'd hit my shin really hard climbing over a fence, that might have caused a bruise that would be draining into there?

That sounds plausible to me, but I'm not a doctor and never got past Bio 101 in college.

Arch Guru XX on
    Should have been a rock star.
  • themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007

I nailed my shin windsurfing once and although there was barely a mark on my shin, the next day my foot got increasingly purple. This got worse over a couple of days and then slowly went away but it was a bit scary at the time.

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
    edited July 2007
    Here's a picture of it:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v193/brett777/?action=view&current=picture.jpg

I linked it for mild grossness/NSFWishness. And yeah, that's a quarter next to it, so you can see why I'm a little freaked by it.

Thanatos on
  • Unidentified CowardUnidentified Coward Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    And easy way to determine "growth" is to simply ring it with a pen or marker (or place control dots on the perimeter). I assume the lacerations to the anterior are unrelated? I take it by your comments, you sit around a lot, which would suggest pooling. The ringing is consistent with a sprain injury or trauma to the shin or lower leg that was subsequently left unelevated, as is the color and diffusion, IMHO.

Unidentified Coward on
  • OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You pussy.

j/k

The thing doesn't look like trouble. If I can offer any advice, as I get injured way too often, it would be to rub it. Since you said it doesn't hurt (and not total lack of sensation) that's a good sign and you can do this no problem. Just take about 5 minutes to rub it with pressure like you would a headache. Work your ankle around, and try to get the good juju into the area and the bad juju out.

Octoparrot on
    edited July 2007
    That bruise doesn't look really weird.

themightypuck on
    ― Marcus Aurelius

edited July 2007
    And easy way to determine "growth" is to simply ring it with a pen or marker (or place control dots on the perimeter). I assume the lacerations to the anterior are unrelated? I take it by your comments, you sit around a lot, which would suggest pooling. The ringing is consistent with a sprain injury or trauma to the shin or lower leg that was subsequently left unelevated, as is the color and diffusion, IMHO.
    Yeah, there was definitely some trauma to the shin. I thought that healed rather fast. :P
    The "weird" part being that I didn't hit my foot on anything, and that it isn't at all painful.

Thanatos on
  • mrcheesypantsmrcheesypants Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    My dad gets those bruises all the time. If it doesn't start to heal in the next week or two then I would be starting to get concerned.

mrcheesypants on
    Diamond Code: 2706 8089 2710
    Oh god. When I was younger, me and my friends wanted to burn the Harry Potter books.

Then I moved to Georgia.
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, there was definitely some trauma to the shin. I thought that healed rather fast. :P
    The "weird" part being that I didn't hit my foot on anything, and that it isn't at all painful.

Now that all the information is in I can pretty much tell you (anectdotally) that the same thing happened to me. Shin whack. Blood pooling in foot. Purpleness. Fear. All better. My foot looked a lot like yours except I have arches :P

themightypuck on
    ― Marcus Aurelius