As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Go find the new MechWarrior Online thread

• stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    Steiner would throw Hunchbacks, at a minimum.

steam_sig.png
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    MechMantis wrote: »
    ...that very well may be.

But throw enough Atlases at a problem, (possibly literally depending on the manner of misuse), and it'll go away eventually.
    If brute force isn't working, you aren't using enough of it.

Or, as I prefer ...

"Maxim 6: If violence wasn't your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it."

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2005-03-13

"Maxim 34: If you're leaving scorch marks, you need a bigger gun."

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2004-02-29

... and ...

"Maxim 37: There is no 'overkill.' There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload.'"

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2004-02-23

• A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I think there's a thread in SE for shitty webcomics.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    MegaMek wrote: »
    Are you keeping all the traditional weights and criticals of the classic rules, or have you rebalanced some of them (like, say, ACs)? –Hao Yu

[DAVID] The weights and critical slots of weapons will remain the same, so that we can take ’Mechs straight out of the Technical Readout manuals and into the game. What we will be looking at tuning is the damage, cooldown time, speed, etc. of the weapons.

This is pretty important I think. Past Mechwarrior games didn't do this afaik.

Yeah, afaik they made it up as they went along. God damn this game is sounding more and more like the greatest mech game ever made.

Methinks I should dig my second Steel Battalion controller out of storage and start contemplating modding it for use on the PC.

I'm still hoping they go all the way through with HOTAS support.

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    ...that very well may be.

But throw enough Atlases at a problem, (possibly literally depending on the manner of misuse), and it'll go away eventually.
    If brute force isn't working, you aren't using enough of it.

Or, as I prefer ...

"Maxim 6: If violence wasn't your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it."

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2005-03-13

"Maxim 34: If you're leaving scorch marks, you need a bigger gun."

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2004-02-29

... and ...

"Maxim 37: There is no 'overkill.' There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload.'"

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2004-02-23
    It took me a while to track down my quote, but it was from the BattleTech CCG. The card is called Saturation Bombing, with flavor text that reads:

"If brute force doesn't solve your problem, you're not using enough." -Marshal Daniel Bishop, aide to commander of the Wyatt Theater, Federated Commonwealth

186124.jpg

Another classic "War is Hell"-type quote (oft repeated in a lot of war settings) from the CCG:

Long_Tom_Battery_CCG_Unlimited.jpg

I think one or both of those were winners in a flavor text competition. Not sure, though.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    What was the giant walker with a massive artillery gun? I want to say Rhino?

I loved that thing.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Are you keeping all the traditional weights and criticals of the classic rules, or have you rebalanced some of them (like, say, ACs)? –Hao Yu

[DAVID] The weights and critical slots of weapons will remain the same, so that we can take ’Mechs straight out of the Technical Readout manuals and into the game. What we will be looking at tuning is the damage, cooldown time, speed, etc. of the weapons.

Yeah, afaik they made it up as they went along. God damn this game is sounding more and more like the greatest mech game ever made.

Methinks I should dig my second Steel Battalion controller out of storage and start contemplating modding it for use on the PC.

Having played Mechwarrior 4 with a full HOTAS + Rudder setup, I can say with authority that it is the greatest shit ever.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Astale wrote: »

I loved that thing.

That beast has two Gauss rifles, massive

steam_sig.png
  • Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    Astale wrote: »

I loved that thing.

Stone Rhino/Behemoth?
    Jade_Falcon_Stone_Rhino.jpg

I don't think it had artillery, but it did have 2 guass rifles firing out of one barrel for some reason.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    First one's not showing for me, Hahnsoo, but I like the 2nd.

• MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    The last time someone used the Stone Rhino in one of our megamek games, the player's pilot baked to death in his cockpit because he kept passing his avoid auto-shutdown rolls, and never stopped shooting long enough to cool down.

So it's his favorite mech now obviously.

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    There was a mech with ArrowIV artillery in the shoulders.

When riding the heat curve, have to stand in a lake. The pop and drop is fun, especially when a section floods. :) Or if it is a stand and lie down affair, the chance to fall is there.

*edit* I was thinking about riding the red heat line for the second bit, just didn't put it in my sentences.

grouch993 on
    Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
    The Naga had double Arrow IV, I think.

And today's mech is...

CA573BABAE0DAC6C7FFD2325F94403D8.jpg

Meh.

I mean, the Raven's great. But I'm not digging the design.

• MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I was not aware Space France had joined the proceedings.

Okay okay, I see the Federated Suns emblem RIGHT THERE but

I also see three instances of the French Tricolor.

MechMantis on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    I kind of like that it looks a little less beaky in that design. Might just be me though.

The upper body is proportionally smaller, which is fine with me. I always thought that and the Stalker looked like they should get negs to piloting checks just from how ungainly they are.

• PsycohedPsycohed On a Fool's ErrandRegistered User regular
    I like it. Pointy. I'd still never pilot one, but I think they did okay by it. I mean, hell, actual ravens don't have curved beaks, so technically this is more like its name sake than the old FASA design.

brig_banner.png
  • SupraluminalSupraluminal Registered User regular
    The "fighter cockpit on legs" look is inevitably a little goofy. I think it turned out alright given the source material he had to work with. Maybe the beak could have been a little stubbier, I dunno.

Looks aside, I can't wait to take one for a spin!

• WietWiet Mao Mao Registered User regular
    I was not aware Space France had joined the proceedings.

Okay okay, I see the Federated Suns emblem RIGHT THERE but

I also see three instances of the French Tricolor.

Davion Brigade of Guards use the tricolor. It's fitting since the Federated Suns are partly space France.

XStly.jpg
  • enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    Loving the Raven design. I want to pilot that so bad.

• BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    I actually like the "cockpit on top of some legs" design. I could totally see someone actually doing something like that. Sure, it looks odd, but functional odd.

Bolthorn wrote: »
    I actually like the "cockpit on top of some legs" design. I could totally see someone actually doing something like that. Sure, it looks odd, but functional odd.

I'm no engineer, but I don't think it looks particularly functional. Planes are shaped like that for aerodynamic reasons. The elongated nose seems like it would just be a stability hazard on top of some legs. Something stubbier like the Catapult is probably a better idea.

I mean, granted that walker-type combat vehicles are fundamentally a ridiculous concept. I just find the designs that don't go out of their way to look even more implausible than necessary to be the most appealing.

• BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I . . . I am okay with what has been done to my Raven. I'm alright with it. Looks a bit stockier, got nice, beefy legs.

Its still my favorite mech ever. <3
    enc0re wrote: »
    Loving the Raven design. I want to pilot that so bad.

Hi5!

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    I like it. I wasn't sure at first, but I do like it. I think it may be partly due to that bit at the nose, it looks all electronical (new word).

steam_sig.png
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    House Davion has always been broadly Anglo-French in flavor. The tricolors are overdoing it just a bit, though.

The redesigned, more angular body also makes me think of some of the silly-looking awkward duck 1930's and 40's French tank designs World of Tanks introduced us to, but maybe that's just the power of suggestion.

Odd they come out with the Raven, which is a signature Capellan Confederation 'mech, in Federated Suns colors.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

I'm no engineer, but I don't think it looks particularly functional. Planes are shaped like that for aerodynamic reasons. The elongated nose seems like it would just be a stability hazard on top of some legs. Something stubbier like the Catapult is probably a better idea.

I mean, granted that walker-type combat vehicles are fundamentally a ridiculous concept. I just find the designs that don't go out of their way to look even more implausible than necessary to be the most appealing.

I'd imagine that the greater slope that the cockpit on legs design affords the armor plates would make it more likely to deflect incoming ballistic shots. At least when compared to a straight vertical slab of armor anyway. Seems like it would be useful for a mech that's supposed to get out there and make other mechs easier to hit for the missile boats while trying really hard not to get hit itself. (That assumes I'm understanding the role and function of the Raven, anyway)

Still, with every tidbit of information they provide, I'm finding my mechgasms getting harder and harder to conceal.

see317 on
    see317 wrote: »

I'd imagine that the greater slope that the cockpit on legs design affords the armor plates would make it more likely to deflect incoming ballistic shots. At least when compared to a straight vertical slab of armor anyway. Seems like it would be useful for a mech that's supposed to get out there and make other mechs easier to hit for the missile boats while trying really hard not to get hit itself. (That assumes I'm understanding the role and function of the Raven, anyway)

Still, with every tidbit of information they provide, I'm finding my mechgasms getting harder and harder to conceal.

Armor slope is kind of irrelevant with the advent of modern ballistic munitions, at least in the real world. I guess maybe futuristic BattleTech armor could somehow render it important again!

Either way, that profile is just asking to get the nose shot off from the side. I don't think the Raven probably spends a lot of time pointed directly at larger hostiles.

• ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    I just assumed that's were it houses a large sensor array, but that's because I have zero knowledge of battletech.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

Armor slope is kind of irrelevant with the advent of modern ballistic munitions, at least in the real world. I guess maybe futuristic BattleTech armor could somehow render it important again!

Either way, that profile is just asking to get the nose shot off from the side. I don't think the Raven probably spends a lot of time pointed directly at larger hostiles.

Why wouldnt it? The torso twist is for circle strafing / or jogging away while still relaying all the sensor & recon data.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    The "fighter cockpit on legs" look is inevitably a little goofy. I think it turned out alright given the source material he had to work with. Maybe the beak could have been a little stubbier, I dunno.

Looks aside, I can't wait to take one for a spin!

Well, if you're trying to run at over 120kph, you're going to want some streamlining.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

Having played Mechwarrior 4 with a full HOTAS + Rudder setup, I can say with authority that it is the greatest shit ever.

You better believe it is. I was recently able to use Logitech's software to make HOTAS work in MW4 (which only detects one controller) with my G940.

It's not perfect, but it's pretty damn great.

Also: force feedback support. So awesome.

Synthesis on
  • MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    Guys, let me be completely honest here.
    I love the mechwarrior universe and have played most of the games. I have read several of the novels, and I probably know much more than is reasonable about any number of mechs.

The battletech canon has never done anything but confuse me. It makes less sense to me than the Holy Roman Empire. I want to play exactly zero of these factions, because I have no attachment to any of them. Reading their histories is like reading the appendices from Lord of the Rings without having any idea what the main plotline was.

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Molybdenum wrote: »
    Guys, let me be completely honest here.
    I love the mechwarrior universe and have played most of the games. I have read several of the novels, and I probably know much more than is reasonable about any number of mechs.

The battletech canon has never done anything but confuse me. It makes less sense to me than the Holy Roman Empire. I want to play exactly zero of these factions, because I have no attachment to any of them. Reading their histories is like reading the appendices from Lord of the Rings without having any idea what the main plotline was.

And so was formed House Reasonable.

"If it makes sense, we shall do it."

Emblem is a nicely ordered diamond over stripes.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular

You better believe it is. I was recently able to use Logitech's software to make HOTAS work in MW4 (which only detects one controller) with my G940.

It's not perfect, but it's pretty damn great.

Also: force feedback support. So awesome.

Yar, I had to do some fiddling with the X52's programming stuff to get the whole thing to work together in MW4 also but god damn was it worth it. Turning and controlling jump jets with the pedals? *fapfapfapfap*

wWuzwvJ.png
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

What kind of loadout does it have, weapons wise?

• EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Raven

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    The Raven looks rad and I can't wait to load it up with ECM and ECCM and be obnoxious with it.

Henroid wrote: »

Some lasers and a few srms. Probably lots of ECM equipment too.

This discussion has been closed.