As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PRIME] First Time to PAX Prime? Have You First Timer Wisdom To Share? Inquire within...

• Options
    adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    As far as hotels go I think I have it narrowed down to the Sheraton or Homewood Suites. They seem to be very popular last year but the homewood seems to be a lot cheaper. I was wondering if anyone prefers one over the other and why (distance, cleanliness, etc)?

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I've stayed in both.

Homewood Suites have in-room kitchens and complimentary breakfast (but since my stay was only for one night I didn't get to use either).

Sheraton is about as far as the BCEC is to the Westin. I didn't like how tiny the bathrooms were (which the HS also had, but it seemed worse in the Sheraton since it was a 4 person room).

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    hiddenllamahiddenllama SeattleRegistered User regular
    Our bus system stops running around 2:30am, so plan wisely!

• Options
    evanextremeevanextreme Registered User regular
    Although I have only been to East at this point and not Prime as of yet, this is something i didn't know,
    Never spend more than 2-3 hours straight doing the Expo hall. At East '11 all I wanted to do was attend the expo hall, and I was running around for 4 hours which really tires you out. Hang in the Console or Handheld freeplay rooms, go play some tabletop if thats your thing, or go see a pannel. Just make sure not to overdo the expo hall.

New Yorker. @evanextreme on Twitter. I do a ton of things on the internet.
    I went to East 11, Prime 12, East 13, and will be attending East 15.
  • Options
    arwen_doll16_LOTRarwen_doll16_LOTR Commander Registered User regular
    My main bits of advice

*Wear comfortable shoes!

*Always have somewhere to keep swag.

*Charge any electrical devices you will need for the day each night so that you start with a full battery each day.

*Try to bring some of your own food to cut down on costs. Carry snacks and water with you to stay hydrated and hold you over to the next time you leave the con for a real meal.

(And I need to plug this last one here as the starter of the costume thread)
    *When you are taking pictures of costumers ask first if it is ok (if they say no then don't get mad, they are attendees too) and make sure you move out of traffic.

I should go.
    534159_4247466298641_1660805487_n.jpg
  • Options
    AlaendilAlaendil Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    This will be my 2nd time, so the things I'm going to try to remember ...

In addition to very comfortable shoes ... new socks. Don't underestimate the extra cushion you get with new socks, especially if you're going to be mostly on your feet for 18 hours. (9 AM til 2 AM at least) It was easy to look at the Exhibit hall hours and think it wasn't as long as it was if you do any other events.

Definitely bring a portable battery based charger for your phone. Near the end of the day, you probably won't be with whatever group you started with and your phone will probably be almost dead.

Remember that there are other floors. I spent the first two days just at the exhibit hall being blinded by the awesome, and then I had to rush through the many other floors and attractions. Some of the indie games on those floors were amazing.

Bring something to do while waiting in line. Lines can be pretty long, so it's a good idea to be prepared.

I was someone that didn't listen last year and went with a messenger bag. In addition to it starting to hurt your shoulder, it's not roomy enough for all of the things you might want to have with you. I bought a backpack for this year.
    --Things I'm going to have in mine .. Tylenol, Water bottle, 5 hour energy, charger, granola bars, sharpie, book

...actually, most of that's packed already, I might be over-anticipating this..

• Options
    CrogothCrogoth Registered User regular
    In my efforts to get everything planned as soon as possible, i noticed that there was a Quality Inn & Suites near PAX. does anyone know if that was there last year?

Reason i ask is because i looked in last year's hotel thread and didn't see it there. Also, my boss told me that i might be able to score an employee rate for a room....

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Bring a surge protector or two with you due to the usual lack of hotel outlets.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    cocowoushicocowoushi Registered User regular
    Visit the Indie Games.
    No question, just do it. They have GREAT games there. I spent practically a whole day on that floor and didn't regret a moment.

• Options
    cocowoushi wrote: »
    Visit the Indie Games.
    No question, just do it. They have GREAT games there. I spent practically a whole day on that floor and didn't regret a moment.

Agreed. We spent half of Sunday doing the Indie Passport at East and loved every minute of it! Was by far one of my favorite things at PAX.

• Options
    beta_angelbeta_angel ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Here is the only piece of advice I will give:

Patience.

Learn it. Live it. Love it. PAX it.

UEAKCrash wrote:
    BETA IS FUCKING CREDIT TO TEAM.
    EvilBadman wrote:
    Beta_Angel is awesome. Never doubt this.
    TF2 Hatpack
  • Options
    peterhuzzajpspeterhuzzajps Registered User regular
    Alaendil wrote: »
    This will be my 2nd time, so the things I'm going to try to remember ...

In addition to very comfortable shoes ... new socks. Don't underestimate the extra cushion you get with new socks, especially if you're going to be mostly on your feet for 18 hours. (9 AM til 2 AM at least) It was easy to look at the Exhibit hall hours and think it wasn't as long as it was if you do any other events.

Definitely bring a portable battery based charger for your phone. Near the end of the day, you probably won't be with whatever group you started with and your phone will probably be almost dead.

Remember that there are other floors. I spent the first two days just at the exhibit hall being blinded by the awesome, and then I had to rush through the many other floors and attractions. Some of the indie games on those floors were amazing.

Bring something to do while waiting in line. Lines can be pretty long, so it's a good idea to be prepared.

I was someone that didn't listen last year and went with a messenger bag. In addition to it starting to hurt your shoulder, it's not roomy enough for all of the things you might want to have with you. I bought a backpack for this year.
    --Things I'm going to have in mine .. Tylenol, Water bottle, 5 hour energy, charger, granola bars, sharpie, book

...actually, most of that's packed already, I might be over-anticipating this..

This will be our second year as well and I agree with everything you said here. Especially shoes and even the socks. This is something I plan on improving this year and am on the hunt for very comfortable shoes for this year. Also, last year we booked the hotel late and while not to far away, the extra walking added to the foot pain. This year we already booked a our condo for a week and about a block away from the convention center. To add to this we are arriving a few days early and leaving a few days after so we are not so rushed this year.

We missed the other floors on the first day as well but discovered them by the second day.

We also brought a portable battery charger for the phones but this year we will be bringing our Droid Razr Maxx's. heh, Ive been testing the battery on them and so far it looks like we will have plenty of charge on them to last the day and then some :p

We brought one backpack for the two of us (oh yea.. my wife and I) and it was pretty crammed. I'm thinking one each this time around.

Lines can be long, but make the most of it. A lot of people are cool to talk to. Having games that are easy to move with you always helps as well. I am not normally that social but I felt comfortable at PAX and had a great time visiting with people while waiting in lines.

• Options
    TraitoriousTraitorious Registered User regular
    Echoing the sentiment on water. Buy (or bring) on of those skinny 1 liter water bottles and fill it up as needed (there were plenty of water stations last Prime.) You should probably be going through 1-2 refills a day to stay hydrated.

• Options
    PotatoemanPotatoeman Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Edit: Nevermind, just reread the thread and saw the hotel prices, thanks!

Potatoeman on
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Green Tortoise only 6 blocks away.

• Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    Third time to PAX.
    I've just booked an apartment opposite PAX - cheaper than a hotel, and so close, with all the added bonuses that come with a kitchen - $75 per night plus tax.
    Also, if you have a mobility impairment, ask about a medical pass for you and a companion, it means you don't have to stand for hours in queues (something I find impossible to do as my legs hurt too much). If you walk with sticks/crutches and you don't have them already, buy gel cycling gloves - saves the pain in your hands.
    Go to as many pre-PAX events as you can, you'll have a great time and meet a bunch of awesome people.

For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Options
    GhandiGhandi Registered User regular
    Hand-sanitizer. Bring it and use it often. Especially before you touch your face (I treat it like contagion).

Touch a public keyboard/controller? So did x-many hundreds and thousands of others.

xbl: Ghandi5
    steam: Nemesis_21
    origin: Ghandi5
    twitter: @maxaguirre5

RCTID
  • Options
    Ghandi wrote: »
    Hand-sanitizer. Bring it and use it often. Especially before you touch your face (I treat it like contagion).

Touch a public keyboard/controller? So did x-many hundreds and thousands of others.

Console Freeplay sanitizes controllers after they've been returned, but still good advice for all of the areas that don't.

• Options
    GhandiGhandi Registered User regular
    whypick1 wrote: »
    Console Freeplay sanitizes controllers after they've been returned, but still good advice for all of the areas that don't.

Yeah FP does well but the vendors often (understandably) forget to on display product. Plus all the random things like the floor, railings, pens, w/e.

xbl: Ghandi5
    steam: Nemesis_21
    origin: Ghandi5
    twitter: @maxaguirre5

RCTID
  • Options
    I just let my immune system deal with it. I am slowly achieving Wolverine levels of immunity to disease because of my lack of fear of getting sick. Nothing like beating a sinus infection in one day with no meds. :D

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    MelesMelesMelesMeles Registered User regular
    Also, a piece of advice on cameras. I'm a bit of a photo buff, but for most of PAX all you want is a small, convenient point-and-shoot with decent optical zoom. I found that carrying a dSLR on the expo floor, although there are great photos to be had, is just too bulky and slow to make a significant difference (unless you're significantly better at using them than I am, which is of course very possible!)

• Options
    AliasunknownAliasunknown Registered User regular
    Third time to PAX.
    I've just booked an apartment opposite PAX - cheaper than a hotel, and so close, with all the added bonuses that come with a kitchen - $75 per night plus tax.

That sounds like a great idea. Any leads on where to look for an apartment for 5 or so days?

• Options
    VanusVanus Registered User regular
    I'll mirror the second pair of socks comments. Carrying an extra pair in your backpack every day and changing socks somewhere in the afternoon/early evening is awesome. It does a lot towards making my feet feel less grody, and helps keep comfort levels up for the rest of the day/night.

• Options
    ptriz21_teamkillptriz21_teamkill Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Eat a Mondo burrito for breakfast.
    Take a camelbak filled with ice and NOS.
    Eat late afternoon. Couple of burgers, fries and Coke maybe? Maybe another burrito.
    If you run out of NOS drink from a water fountain everynow and then.
    Play games/go to concerts until 2 in the morning.
    Get 4 or 5 hours of sleep and do it again.
    Add alcohol at any step at your own peril.

That's my routine and my weekend is always great. I don't regularly carry water on me, but I'll end up drinking a bottle's worth in a day maybe. I start with the fresh pair of socks in the morning and call it good. I shower every night to keep the funk off, but I really don't sweat during the day (not PAXing hard enough?) I take a maybe half hour- hour nap during the day. I usually don't worry about getting sick, and I've been sick only once out of 4 years. Last year I bought Airborne to take every morning but only did it once. Seems like a good idea though.

I'm not discounting the advice given here because it is all good advice. But the best thing you can do is know thyself. Do you get cranky if you miss a meal? What is your pain threshold? Do you sweat profusely (BE HONEST)? Some things apply to you and some things don't. Just try to enjoy your weekend.

ptriz21_teamkill on
    3DS: 3325-2059-2105
  • Options
    but I really don't sweat during the day (not PAXing hard enough?)
    Honestly the convention center, despite being packed with tens of thousands of people, is kept surprisingly well air conditioned. The only time I've ever sweat at PAX is when I've been in a costume of some sort.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Kirby4LifeKirby4Life SumYungGuy In a cabin in the woodsRegistered User regular
    This is an odd hotel question but.... Is there any hotel that has rooms that have side doors?? Like 2 different rooms but have a door in the inbetween wall so you can go form one room to the other?? Like say I reserve room #200 and my buddy reserves room #202, we need to have a door in the wall that seperates the too rooms.... I hope someone knows what im talking about....

• Options
    Not sure, but you're going to have a problem with getting adjacent hotel rooms. You'll probably want to call OnPeak about that.

• Options
    GeekyPrincessGeekyPrincess Registered User regular
    Kirby4Life wrote: »
    This is an odd hotel question but.... Is there any hotel that has rooms that have side doors?? Like 2 different rooms but have a door in the inbetween wall so you can go form one room to the other?? Like say I reserve room #200 and my buddy reserves room #202, we need to have a door in the wall that seperates the too rooms.... I hope someone knows what im talking about....

It's going to be very very hard to get connecting rooms. Last two years we haven't even been on the same floor, my husband and friends take one room and I get the other with the teenagers. I think we were on 14 and 6 last year.

Cookie Brigade Prime 2011 and 2012!
    Shipping cookies for Prime 2013
  • Options
    tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    Kirby4Life wrote: »

It's going to be very very hard to get connecting rooms. Last two years we haven't even been on the same floor, my husband and friends take one room and I get the other with the teenagers. I think we were on 14 and 6 last year.

Just for my own edificaiton has anyone tried contracting either OnPeak or the hotels to see if such a thing is possible? If you just go with the random, I'd get that you'd more than likely not even have rooms on the same floor, but it seems fairly common for Hotels to put people together if they ask as such.

• Options
    OneBarOneBar The #1 Super Homie SeattleRegistered User regular
    PAX Prime 2011 was my first PAX I've went to and so far my only. I will be attending Prime 2012 and with everything I learned last year it will probably be 100x better than the already AMAZING experience I had last year. I thought maybe I could share my advice to help all the first-timers.

1. Be as prepared as possible. Bring lots of extra water bottles, snacks, batteries, etc. Anything you think you may need over the day.
    2. Keep an open schedule. Last year I had a huge list of panels I wanted to attend but I only made maybe 3 because I never wanted to leave the expo hall
    3. Don't be scared of long lines. There's no way around it, huge games have huge lines. Maybe reserve an entire day to play all the big-names you want to play
    4. PLAY ALL THE INDIE GAMES
    5. Bring a reasonable amount of spending money (food, taxis, vintage game booths, etc.)
    6. If you have one carry your 3DS with you with streetpass on. I got over 500 tags last year.
    7. Try and talk and interact with some people around the event.
    8. (Here's my biggest regret) Take a camera and take lots and lots of pictures.
    9. Make/Use a twitter and follow people you know that will be at the event and the @Offical_pax and @PAX_lines
    10. Bring some hand-sanitizer and wash your hands frequently. Lot's of people touching lot's of things can create some icky sicknesses

Most importanty, HAVE FUN!

• Options
    OneBar wrote: »
    PAX Prime 2011 was my first PAX I've went to and so far my only. I will be attending Prime 2012 and with everything I learned last year it will probably be 100x better than the already AMAZING experience I had last year. I thought maybe I could share my advice to help all the first-timers.

1. Be as prepared as possible. Bring lots of extra water bottles, snacks, batteries, etc. Anything you think you may need over the day.
    2. Keep an open schedule. Last year I had a huge list of panels I wanted to attend but I only made maybe 3 because I never wanted to leave the expo hall
    3. Don't be scared of long lines. There's no way around it, huge games have huge lines. Maybe reserve an entire day to play all the big-names you want to play
    4. PLAY ALL THE INDIE GAMES
    5. Bring a reasonable amount of spending money (food, taxis, vintage game booths, etc.)
    6. If you have one carry your 3DS with you with streetpass on. I got over 500 tags last year.
    7. Try and talk and interact with some people around the event.
    8. (Here's my biggest regret) Take a camera and take lots and lots of pictures.
    9. Make/Use a twitter and follow people you know that will be at the event and the @Offical_pax and @PAX_lines
    10. Bring some hand-sanitizer and wash your hands frequently. Lot's of people touching lot's of things can create some icky sicknesses

Most importanty, HAVE FUN!

As a fellow 2nd timer, I'm going to try to do a better job of 4 and 7 personally. (I was well advised on 2 by vets last year). I agree with everything else. (Although the convention hall is not without water, we brought a few bottles and just filled them up at drinking fountains/sinks/whatever during the day.)
    Frankly I thought about waiting in the long demo lines then went "eh, I'm going to buy it anyway" (although I still haven't played ME3 thanks to a hectic schedule. And bioshock infinite may break my "skip long lines of games you want to buy anyway" rule)

• Options
    OneBarOneBar The #1 Super Homie SeattleRegistered User regular
    The only problem I had with the water fountains is that in lines they're inaccessible and are widely scattered. I bring like 3 for all three days and fill them up as they get empty, always having a few on me.

• Options
    tsrblke wrote: »
    Frankly I thought about waiting in the long demo lines then went "eh, I'm going to buy it anyway" (although I still haven't played ME3 thanks to a hectic schedule. And bioshock infinite may break my "skip long lines of games you want to buy anyway" rule)

Fucking this. Unless your genitals are going to fall off due to massive depression if you absolutely don't play that demo then skip all the huge lines until Sunday. Sunday afternoon is a really good time to check these booths out since the expo hall clears out quite a bit then. It's also the best time ever to score swag since the booth managers will be unloading it by the wheelbarrow load. You're better off spending Friday and Saturday checking out all the awesome indy guys and going to panels and whatnot.

Also, I absolutely cannot stress sitting down (standing around?) and talking shop with the booth guys since a lot of them are devs. They appreciate gamers that have something to ask about beyond the usual pr bullet points, has an understanding of the industry, and even better, knowledge of the background to the game. The talks I had with the Torchlight 2 devs, the Firefall devs, and the Novus Aeterna devs last year were really interesting and it was fun watching their body language change from typical pr mode to being legit engaged. The Novus Aeterna guys were especially fun since we basically spent about half an hour nerding out over Homeworld, lol.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    ArcticLizardArcticLizard Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    This year will be my first year at PAX (flying from Australia) and I just wanted to thank you all for the tips. Im getting into town a day early and it looks like I can use that time to stock up and prepare my day kits.

Also do you recommended taking a large backpack in?

• Options
    AlaendilAlaendil Des Moines, IARegistered User regular

I know I'm just intending to bring a standard sized backpack .. without a ton of stuff in it to start with I feel pretty comfortable that I'm not going to overfill it by the end of it all. (and I unload it every night)

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    This year will be my first year at PAX (flying from Australia) and I just wanted to thank you all for the tips. Im getting into town a day early and it looks like I can use that time to stock up and prepare my day kits.

The key is a COMFORTABLE backpack. One that will not cause you pain after a day of carrying it. I take what I would consider a fairly large "daily use" backpack (but much much smaller than, say, a hiking backpack). It is incredibly comfortable, and doesn't cause me to sweat.

• Options

This may just be me, but I found that I prefer one of the super light weight drawstring ones. I thought for sure it would kill my shoulders but it's so light I never even knew it was there. I carried our DSs, granola bars, platypus water bottle and a couple other small card/dice games. The key no mater which bag you take is don't over pack.

• Options
    The_PowerThe_Power Registered User regular
    Anyone ever rented a bicycle to get around during PAX? I will be staying at the Moore and I was thinking if only I could bring mine with me and ride to and from the con and to nearby spots I'd like to visit.

"You'll shoot your eye out, kid."
  • Options
    zerzhul wrote: »

The key is a COMFORTABLE backpack. One that will not cause you pain after a day of carrying it. I take what I would consider a fairly large "daily use" backpack (but much much smaller than, say, a hiking backpack). It is incredibly comfortable, and doesn't cause me to sweat.

The Wife and I had it all last year, Messenger Bags, Fancy velcro flap and all (we found these too uncomfortable), Daypacks (to hard to get in and out of, plus I never was able to shake the feeling that it was coming unzipped and I was going to lose stuff.)
    What ended up working out great for us was the HaloFest bags they handed out, the handles were long enough that the bag's wieght was well distributed (unlike the messenger bags) and I could easily drop stuff in without having to take it off (unlike the day pack.) I dunno what we're going to do this year, but probably look for similar bags (and/or bring those again). YMMV and such.
    My wife figured out that if she didn't carry a bag, I'd take all her stuff (that needs to not happen this year I think.)

• Options
    Or just buy a Utilikilt and stuff all your swag in the pockets. :D

wWuzwvJ.png
This discussion has been closed.