As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Prime] COOKIE BRIGADE - $13,161 for Prime 2012!!

LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
edited September 2012 in PAX West
Greetings! If you were looking for information regarding becoming a part of the Cookie Brigade for PAX 2012 (or just want to know what it's all about) you came to the right place!

Stay tuned here for updates and information as it develops!

Current Announcements...
8/9/12 - WE MADE OUR GOAL IN JUST TWO DAYS!!
Thanks everybody! Because of you, we made our goal of $225, and now will have awesome cards and buttons to distribute along with the cookies, for buttoneering and to spread the word about Child's Play and what the Brigade does.

8/7/12 - WePay Account Available for Donations to cover operating costs
There is now a WePay account for anyone who wants to help defray the costs of operating the Cookie Brigade. This is not donation money for Child's Play but instead helps to defray the costs of Brigade expenses like buttons, cards, bingo prizes, etc... Basically all the little operational things that keep the Brigade chugging along. Consider a donation!

7/19/12 - Liasons Positions Posted to the CB Website
Liasons needed! Check the Brigade website for details. If you haven't signed up to be a Brigadier yet, well, WHY THE HELL NOT!?

7/12/12 - Cookie Brigade Panel
That's right, an entire panel about the Cookie Brigade. See the Confirmed Panel Thread for details. There will be cookies.

7/12/12 - Signups
If you've signed up to be part of the Brigade and have been waiting to be approved, please check your PM inbox. Everyone has been pretty busy during the last few weeks and approvals are starting to go out now.

cb.png

WHO WE ARE:

The Cookie Brigade is a ragtag group of Penny Arcade Forumers who have assembled since PAX 2007 to provide our fellow gamers with delicious baked goods! Cookies are baked by forumers, brought from afar by forumers, and distributed by forumers!

The Cookie Brigade does not sell cookies. We give cookies away for free.
Brigadiers also accept donations to Child's Play, which are entirely voluntary and greatly appreciated!
It's very convenient to get a cookie and give a donation at the same time.

Starting in 2008, the Cookie Brigade began a mission to give these cookies in exchange for donations to Child's Play, the charity started by Mike and Jerry that provides entertainment to kids in children's hospitals. Since starting on this mission, the Cookie Brigade has raised over $56,000 completely from the handing out of cookies and the reception of donations from the incredible, amazing, and generous PAX community! Last PAX alone we raised over $14,000 for Child's Play! Woooooot! Thank you everyone for your generous donations, you have helped an awesome cause!

WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE?

Head to http://cookie-brigade.com/ for more information!

I WANT TO HELP IN THE BRIGADE!

If you're interested in

* Baking delicious cookies
* Distributing to people during PAX
* helping with Logistics

we can definitely use your help! Sign up at our website, http://cookie-brigade.com if you wish to participate in the planning, baking, and/or distributing!

An important note: due to certain external pressures on the Brigade, we have to keep some of our more sensitive planning operations private. If you sign up at the Cookie Brigade website, an Administrator will contact you if you're not a known or frequently posting member of the Forums so that we can verify your identity. Thank you for understanding!

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
Moe Fwacky on

• VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Mod Edit: Original OP below.
    CURRENT STATUS:

In the aftermath of the sudden sold out status of PAX, I need to know how many Brigadiers could not get passes to PAX. Brigadiers, please immediately go to:

http://cookie-brigade.com

and post in the PAX Prime 2012 forum if you were unable to get a pass for PAX. I don't think currently that there's much we can do to help unfortunately, but if we know who is missing passes we can at least have the potential to help those in need if some angel comes along and helps us.

================================================

More information to come, stay tuned fellow Bakers and Distributors!

zerzhul on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    I'm in! But somehow I've stuffed up the form on the website, I'm sorry VT! Oh, and this year, I'll be able to bake in Seattle as we've rented an apartment next door to PAX :)

For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • arwen_doll16_LOTRarwen_doll16_LOTR Commander Registered User regular
    Hello again! I am not sure yet if I will be distributing but I should at least be baking again this year (though it might be a bit less in quantity since we have 6 people in our group with one car and a hotel room this year) But that just means I will have to make specialty cookies! I assume use the website and the forums again like last year?

I should go.
    534159_4247466298641_1660805487_n.jpg
  • LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    Hello again! I am not sure yet if I will be distributing but I should at least be baking again this year (though it might be a bit less in quantity since we have 6 people in our group with one car and a hotel room this year) But that just means I will have to make specialty cookies! I assume use the website and the forums again like last year?

Yes, the process is the same as last year. Nice to have you with us again!

• Jenny_SpaghettiJenny_Spaghetti I am 3 ginger midgets in a trench coat. Calgary, CanadalandRegistered User regular
    Baking things forever...

• GeekyPrincessGeekyPrincess Registered User regular
    I'm hoping to bake and help out as I can this year. We're flying up Friday morning, I think we land at 8:45am and we'll be heading straight for the hotel and then the convention center!

Cookie Brigade Prime 2011 and 2012!
    Shipping cookies for Prime 2013
  • zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Actually if anyone knows, how much did the cookie brigade raise at east 2012, I know when they arrived money would leave my wallet and delicious baked goods would enter my belly.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    zepherin wrote: »
    Actually if anyone knows, how much did the cookie brigade raise at east 2012, I know when they arrived money would leave my wallet and delicious baked goods would enter my belly.

at East 2012, the reported amount was a little over $13k, which is a huge leap over the $9k at East 2011.

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    zepherin wrote: »

at East 2012, the reported amount was a little over $13k, which is a huge leap over the $9k at East 2011.
    excellent. Hopefully the trend will continue into 2013. :)

Quite a bit of monies were turned in after the "formal" count, and the real number was closer to $14k.

• BritalityBritality Registered User regular
    I am very excited to be helping with CB for Prime!

• TabooPhantasyTabooPhantasy Registered User regular
    Will there be an option to ship cookies? And if so, it is logistically sound to ship them all the way from the east coast?

~Taboo
    BH11Fnk.png
    edited April 2012
    There will be an option to ship. We'll have shipping addresses available a little closer to Prime. The info will be posted on the Cookie Brigade Website though, not here.

And yes, it's logistically sound to ship cookies, as long as the cookie types are chosen sensibly and packed well. For example: one could argue that krispie treats don't need packing material, as they are packing material. But really, anything sturdy will ship well. I'd stay away from delicate cut sugar cookies with lots of pointy bits, as the bits will break off.

LexiconGrrl on
  • TwinDadTwinDad Puget SoundRegistered User regular
    Does it have to be a specific amount that you need to bake? Is there any type of cookie that is unwanted?

Sort of off-topic/crazy, I know it's a "Cookie" brigade, but is a desert type bread (like banana or pumpkin) okay? I thought I saw some in 2010.

edited April 2012
    TwinDad wrote: »
    Does it have to be a specific amount that you need to bake? Is there any type of cookie that is unwanted?

Sort of off-topic/crazy, I know it's a "Cookie" brigade, but is a desert type bread (like banana or pumpkin) okay? I thought I saw some in 2010.

Brigade participation is pretty much a lawless collection of bakers. Bake as much or as little as you like - everything is appreciated! Dessert breads are great, especially ones that are a little firmer and hold up in distributors' bags or don't get too stale by Sunday.

The only cookie that's not allowed is the Dickerdoodle. We've been asked not to cross that line.

@TwinDad - there's tons of information, tips, baking help, instructions, and everything you could possibly want to know on the Cookie Brigade website. You should sign up!

LexiconGrrl on
  • thedragongemthedragongem Registered User regular
    Just wondering if anyone ever bakes a sugar free/low carb cookie? (want to buy cookies but the hubby has diabeties) (will still buy cookies to help this great cause but will have to beat the hubby down to keep him away from the cookies) :p

badge.png
    edited April 2012
    We've been getting more and more specialty diet cookies every year, which is great! There's almost always gluten free, sugar free and vegan options now, it's really just a matter of finding a brigadier who has some with them when they see you.

You can always tweet a request with your location using #CookieBrigade and what you'd like. If there's someone available, they'll be dispatched to find you. Otherwise if you see a Brigadier, just ask them.

Of course, you could always bake some yourself and share with the Brigade!

LexiconGrrl on
  • TwinDadTwinDad Puget SoundRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Until now I have never heard the term Dickerdoodle.

Interesting thought about the low carb. I have a friend with a recipe for a sugar free brownie.

I'll be visiting the site. I haven't had a chance to signup yet.

Edit: After a google it all comes back to me on the NSFW cookie comics. I would not have gone there, but I will keep it in mind to respect their wishes.

TwinDad on
  • tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    TwinDad wrote: »
    Until now I have never heard the term Dickerdoodle.

Interesting thought about the low carb. I have a friend with a recipe for a sugar free brownie.

I'll be visiting the site. I haven't had a chance to signup yet.

Edit: After a google it all comes back to me on the NSFW cookie comics. I would not have gone there, but I will keep it in mind to respect their wishes.

It may not have jumped to your mind, but it has been the subject of some PA comics/Posts/contests in the past. (Hence the concern.)

edited April 2012
    Yeah, it's kind of ironic, seeing how it's an actual cookie referenced in the comic, and we give out cookies and all... This past year at East someone brought a whole box of really delicious, well executed Dickerdoodles that we couldn't give out. Perhaps... too well executed. We felt bad about it but the Enforcers and brigadiers certainly enjoyed them.

We do try to keep it in good taste. Get it? Good TASTE. It's a cookie joke.

ha.
    ha.
    ha.

LexiconGrrl on
    edited April 2012
    On a slightly different note, I'm so incredibly impressed by this that I had to post it. @JobiWanKenobi made a full size, playable chess set out of white and dark chocolate that we auctioned off at PAX East. The board is made from almond and chocolate sugar cookies. The lucky winner will be receiving it by mail.

It's just incredibly f'ing cool - check it:

IMG_0189.JPG

LexiconGrrl on
  • SaldekSaldek Registered User regular
    Signed up :) First time to PAX, so I think I'd like to just help out on the baking side of things. (lots of baking!!!)

https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/Saldek
    DS Friend Code - 5300-9697-9935
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    @Saldek Save some for me! :3

wWuzwvJ.png
  • SaldekSaldek Registered User regular
    @TOGSolid I might consider letting you be a taste tester.....

https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/Saldek
    DS Friend Code - 5300-9697-9935
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Saldek wrote: »
    @TOGSolid I might consider letting you be a taste tester.....

Huzzah!

wWuzwvJ.png
  • WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    WuShock, Brigadier in good standing, reporting for duty with Snickerdoodles and Biscotti recipies at the ready.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

Excellent, great to see so many new and veteran faces! =)

I'll be putting up more info this weekend, the standard post and all - I've been a bit swamped by an unexpected crunch at work. I'll try to do some catchup shortly, and help get our ducks in order.

Luckily, LexiconGrrl (who you might all remember as the fantastic baker of - what was it, over 2500 cookies? - last year, has volunteered to be our Logistics Liaison for this PAX Prime after much begging on my part! :)

She's going to be a fantastic leader for Prime, and I'll be there as always to help in any way that I can and hand out cookies like a madman. =) It's going to be a great PAX!

• Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    Holy crap. I just looked at my East totals and... I'm getting better at this.

Anyway, there's a small chance I'll be working a booth at Prime, but if not... I'm in to distribute again!

Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • shugaraeshugarae Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    Planning to bake again :D Probably a bunch of chocolate chip, maybe some peanut butter, and unicorn poop! :D

Omeganaut class of '08. Fuck Peggle. Omeganaut class of '17 West. Fuck Rainbow Road.
    The Best in Terms of Pants on JCCC3
  • hml151hml151 Registered User regular
    I will not be coming to PAX Prime. I tried to get passes when the server crashed and then my friend checks 12am this morning and was not being sold and then by 6pm the 3 day passes were gone. We are not buying single passes. So I'm not sure I will be doing the cookies this year.

Max sig size: 500x80px OR 4 lines of text
    School Girl Goodness...Watch for us at future PAX Prime events. If want some of my geek chic collection, click on the etsy link.

http://s774.photobucket.com/user/SchoolGirlGoodness/library/
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VeronatheMad

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • courtneyjcourtneyj Newcastle, WARegistered User regular
    What size of buttons do you guys get for the Cookie Brigade buttons?

• TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    I really hope the girl who made the Oreos inside of a chocolate chip cookie shows up again (you were at PAX East!) It was seriously one of the best cookies I've ever had, if not the best.

Aye hml151, I feel you. I'm sweating right now, because my company said they were buying passes so I skipped on buying them today... and now I'm wondering whether they actually got them in time. I'm going to be totally bummed if I can't Brigadier... I can't believe it sold out this quickly. It feels infeasible.

• Goblin ScrewdriverGoblin Screwdriver Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Finally made an account after 6 years at PAX.

Anyhow, I've wondered for a while if there's a market for, I guess specialty cookies? I try and make these every year for Christmas.
    Ridley1resized.jpg
    Ridley2resized.jpg
    I'm sure there's no shortage of generosity among PAX attendees but all the same, I've heard plenty of stories of people putting a lot of time and energy into fundraisers and not even making back the cost of production. I don't mean to sound pretentious but these are A LOT of work.

PAX Prime attendee since 2006

Pointless signature checklist [x]
  • Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    If you make a FUGGEN UNBELIEVABLE cookie (and I would say that definitely qualifies), it has been in the past deemed acceptable to ask for more for them. My technique was "Achievement unlocked," if someone offered more than $10 I'd show 'em the "good stuff." I also saw people asking for donations over $X for the omegacookie, which I think was the oreo inside a chocolate chip one?

Sometimes if a cookie is especially awesome, I'll just make it a secret unlock/generosity reward anyway. The first year of combustible lemons was like that... they were the best cookie I had ever distributed, so I started only giving them away to people who asked for them specifically, or for people who "unlocked" it by donating $5 or more.

In this case, though, you'd definitely want to find distributors who know these goods are special. At East this year I went for volume rather than selection, and I eventually just stopped taking artistically shaped sugar cookies. They shatter something serious.

At Prime, I think I'm gonna get a brand new bag... and have a "secret compartment" tupperware container at the bottom. Sometimes I feel bad and give someone an ultra fancy cookie for less than I usually would if that person is a super fan, but you'd have to work things out with your distributors... or distribute them yourself. Definitely don't just drop a masterpiece like that off jumbled in a box, though... not that you would.

Cultural Geek Girl on
    Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • TheMisanthropeTheMisanthrope That's Mr. Misanthrope to you Registered User regular
    Dear Cookie Brigade,

I LOVE YOU GUYS SO MUCH!!

No, really, you guys were heroes for when I was sitting in line for an hour waiting for [insert panel or Omeganaut round here] a few times.

Just wanted to share the love.

PAX Prime 2012: [X] Pass Purchased [X] Extra Charge Battery Packs for Phone, etc
  • eStalkereStalker Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    i am so down with baking cookies! i signed up on the site to see what and how much i can do!

• Lady LilybellLady Lilybell Geeky Crafter & Baker South Shore, MARegistered User regular
    VT, This whole 3day pass gone in a blink of an eye thing sucks for a lot of Prime attendees. So I hope someone in the office got through.

Goblin, that cookie is awesome! Make sure if you make them to put them into something sturdy so it's legs or wings don't break off. In case someone bumps you by accident. Specialty cookies sell well. Game themed cookies sell very well. One person buys and they tell their friends and you'll be out of them fast.

5FzIdZ6.png
    I ♥ making awesome crafts! I ♥ my Cookie Brigaders!
    @JobiwanKenobi and I are confirmed with passes. I've reached out to Jamie to see if there is anything that can be done for brigadiers without passes or access to the Super Secret Storage Location. I'll post any news I get right away.

@goblinscrewdriver - those are FANTASTIC. Cultural Geek Girl raises an important point: cookies get shoved into bags and jostled around. I'd cry every time I accidentally broke one. If you put that much time and effort into such amazing cookies, you also may want to consider packaging them individually to survive intact. Or maybe doing simpler simpler cookies with higher quantity?

@theaggrocraig - you're thinking of @punzie with the stuffed Oreos. They're becoming legendary. Maybe if we all ask her really, really nicely she'll bake and ship a big box of them to Prime. :winky:

This discussion has been closed.