As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Metal Gear] Ground Zeroes footage in the OP. Fox Engine. Holy moly.

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Just under four years old...

Well, that's twice as long as even my longest-lasting 360 lasted

• Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Dammit, when this game was on pause the PS3 apparently turned itself off. And now it won't turn back on for long, it shuts down automatically and the red light starts flashing

I know it isn't related but now my mind is going to link this to Peace Walker, just how The Godfather: The Game killed my 360

YLOD'd. It's happened 5 times to me, though mostly of them happened in a cluster (3 a few years ago, 2 last year). Ultimately Sony just gave me a new PS3 because we have laws that protect consumers.

Oh and you'd wrong. Peace Walker is amazing. My third favourite game in the series.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
    Yeah, I've come to accept it in the past few hours. I don't think I'm going to even bother replacing the PS3, honestly. It had a great run. But we're awfully close to the next cycle of consoles, and, barring any surprise announcements, there are no upcoming PS3 exclusives that I'm interested in.

We had some good times...

That said, I'll likely be selling all my PS3 games soon, but I still want MGS, so...how is this on 360, outside of a slightly altered control scheme?

• SkyTurnsRedSkyTurnsRed Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I've come to accept it in the past few hours. I don't think I'm going to even bother replacing the PS3, honestly. It had a great run. But we're awfully close to the next cycle of consoles, and, barring any surprise announcements, there are no upcoming PS3 exclusives that I'm interested in.

We had some good times...

That said, I'll likely be selling all my PS3 games soon, but I still want MGS, so...how is this on 360, outside of a slightly altered control scheme?

Plays fine, looks fine to me.

Yeah, I actually really love the controls on the 360. Seems to fit better. And 1080p is nice!

The weirdest discrepancy in the world - during the cutscene where Stillman gives you instructions on how to freeze the C4, you can't skip the cutscene. On PS3 you can. No clue why this is.

• mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    I don't think you could skip that in the original version either.

• Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Yeah, I actually really love the controls on the 360. Seems to fit better. And 1080p is nice!

The weirdest discrepancy in the world - during the cutscene where Stillman gives you instructions on how to freeze the C4, you can't skip the cutscene. On PS3 you can. No clue why this is.

As I remember from my playthroughs, that only happens the first time - every time after that I could skip it. I honestly don't know if that's deliberate or a bug.

In other news, 20,000+ camaraderie means all achievements in Peace Walker. Hooray!

Werewolf2000ad on
    steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    DeMoN wrote: »
    I don't think any cutscene in any game let's you skip sentence to sentence.

Mass Effect.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/

Mass Effect.

Except it's implemented awfully, as you use the same button to select dialogue choices, so you can accidentally skip through them as well. If I remember correctly, Dragon Age 2 did it a lot better, putting them on different buttons.

• The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular

Mass Effect.

Except it's implemented awfully, as you use the same button to select dialogue choices, so you can accidentally skip through them as well. If I remember correctly, Dragon Age 2 did it a lot better, putting them on different buttons.
    I agree with every inch of my being. I hate nothing more than trying to skip through a cutscene or dialogue I've already played through one sentence at a time only to fuck up a dialogue option because it's the same button to select dialogue. I think the entire QA department should be beaten with an oar for letting that one get through.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    One of my favorite bits of concept art for MGS4, heroes unite!

solid_snake_is_dead_1.jpg

It does bring to mind however the rather amusing oversight that Meryl and Raiden have never spoken to each other once.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    that looks like it would make a great wallpaper, got a higher res?

It's from the MGS4 'Master Art Works' book if you want to look it up but here's the largest scan of that page I could find using GIS.

cool cool, thanks

• IgortIgort Registered User regular
    Well, since the threads been bumped, I may as well mention that on the KPReport they mentioned we may be getting some new Rising information next week. Didn't actually listen to the report myself, so I'm not sure exactly what was said.

I would play MGS just for more Shinkawa art, he's awesomely talented.

As an example, just look at the PMC exosuits from Act II. That's basically what the Army is in the process of developing right now, and they're just a minor enemy type in a rail shooter sequence. Shinkawa's art on it is just as detailed as any of the main characters.

Kind of a minor thing, but I thought this was funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOosIsFgW4U

LIQUID!
    BROTHA!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paUIfhjSUx0&feature=youtu.be
    Corrupted transmission incoming from operative's implant...
    Data integrity compromised...
    Recovery initializing on 4/30/12...
    Access: http://www.metalgearsolid.com/rising

I have no idea what that is but it has me hyped anyway. It reminds me of the cheesy stock footage from MGS1.

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Give me this game. Put it in my veins.

So we'll get more info on the 30th?

I WANT IT

• EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    Igort wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paUIfhjSUx0&feature=youtu.be
    Corrupted transmission incoming from operative's implant...
    Data integrity compromised...
    Recovery initializing on 4/30/12...
    Access: http://www.metalgearsolid.com/rising

I have no idea what that has to do with MGS. But then again, when has viral marketing ever relate closely to it's subject material?

edited April 2012
    Maverick.jpg

Igort on
    This is probably going to explain, HR style, how Raiden got cut up by the Patriots in the first place.

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    They sucked him dry and stuffed him with awesome.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    I'm still hoping we get an Area 51 prologue area set between MGS2-4.

edited April 2012
    This is probably going to explain, HR style, how Raiden got cut up by the Patriots in the first place.

Raiden was captured by The Patriots in the year 2012. So the date "4/30/12" could have signifigance in the MGS Timeline as well.

Igort on
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular

Yes!

That ol' Metal Gear Solid: Rising game was thrown out because it wasn't fun to play for too long, right? They couldn't pad it out to 'full game' size. So... how about it makes a return as the Tanker Chapter of MGR:R? Play as regular non-cyborg Raiden in a sneaking mission into Area 52, in that engine they originally showed off. Then the game starts proper and it's hacky slashy fun times.

Oh brilliant
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular

Yes!

That ol' Metal Gear Solid: Rising game was thrown out because it wasn't fun to play for too long, right? They couldn't pad it out to 'full game' size. So... how about it makes a return as the Tanker Chapter of MGR:R? Play as regular non-cyborg Raiden in a sneaking mission into Area 52, in that engine they originally showed off. Then the game starts proper and it's hacky slashy fun times.

This would be too amazing to happen. Even if they didn't do it in the old engine, just having a Tanker-esque beginning with human Raiden would be awesome, to highlight the difference between human and cyborg.

Game Informer and EGM both recieved strange packages today.

Raiden01.jpg

arm0426-610.jpg

Here's Game Informer's article, which is filled with more info than EGM's.
    Today, the mail dude came off and delivered a bunch of stuff to the Game Informer offices. Unbeknownst to him, he was part of a scheme to traffic human remains across the United States. At least, that's what we think happened. As with a lot of other Metal Gear related things, we're still a little confused.

When I opened the box, I was greeted with the above limb, and the letter below. Apparently, this is Raiden's arm. If you look closely, you'll notice that it's equipped with a USB-friendly interface. I plugged it into my PC (instructions, be damned!), and found the trailer we posted last night and a few cryptic images. You'll find the pics in the gallery at the bottom. Check 'em out and see if you can make any sense of them. In the meantime, I'm going to surprise everyone in the office with this dumb thing.

arm0426-610a.jpg

Images in the spoiler:
    MissionData_000_j1.jpg

MissionData_000_j3.jpg

MissionData_000-r2.jpg

MissionData_000_j2.jpg

MissionData_000-r1.jpg

• DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Vanquish did kind of have a stealth section...

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
    Hopefully it's some gameplay.

edited April 2012
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deoifD7rYks&feature=youtu.be&hd=1

It is not.

But holy shit, that sure sounds like Solidus...

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
    Flash back to Raiden's child soldier training along with his reconstruction?

Damn, that's brutal.

edited April 2012
    Damn mouse.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    Man, I'm such a fuckup. I was trying to get the rest of the MGS3 achievements: Skin Deep, Fashionista, King of the Jungle, PEACE WALKER, and It Ain't Easy Being Green. It's simple enough to get those all in one playthrough. I managed to get one.

I missed the Water and Kabuki face paints.

I forgot to get a Kerotan in the Krasnogorje Tunnel. It's the only one I missed, as far as I know.

then I accidentally pulled out my M1911A1 instead of my Mk22 and shot a guy in the head

then I forgot to get the last three snakes because I got wrapped up in the battle

When you sneak back into Groznyj Grad after the waterfall, you default to the lethal pistol. What the fuck kind of design choice was that? Default to the non-lethal, right!? D:

...anyway, yeah, exact same thing happened to me man. Only had to reload to after the Sorrow fight, but still. Annoying. :P

The Kerotan achievement was the stuff of nightmares - there's one in the bike chase section, when you're going through the forest vs the hover platform? Crazy hard to get that one. I had to resort to rocket launchers, but even then it took a few attempts.

Oh brilliant
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    MGS HD was one of those games i glanced at the achievement list and went

nope

MGS2's are mostly cake with a few grinds and a few impossible ones.

MGS3's are not too bad at all - I got Platinum in 2 runs.

Peace Walker's are dumb.

So about Rising - looks like there's gonna be some focus on Raiden's child soldier history. I'm all for that, in theory; more Solidus <3

But I am really curious to see how it connects to the current story, set post MGS4. Think there'll be actual gameplay for the flashbacks, or just movies popping up at certain points ala Prototype?

Oh brilliant
    Me, I manually selected the gun from the menu and still managed to pick the wrong one. I just wasn't paying attention and they look really similar. Why aren't they color-coded like in MGS2? In fact, in this particular area, everything about MGS2 is better, from the two-dimensional grouping (which you can even turn on and off) to the quick-change setting that lets you choose between unequipping the current weapon or switching to the previous one.

Hey, something happened that I'd never seen before while I was playing this time. I shot at a guy with my Mk22 and I THINK I missed, but he started acting all dazed and confused. I have no idea what happened. Also, I just found out you can knock yourself out using the handkerchief if you just wave it around for a while.