As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PRIME] PAX Prime 2012 Costumes

• Options
    KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    Safir-Hime wrote: »
    @KellyShepard087 I wouldn't suggest pleather for the dress mainly because of how it will look if anyone takes any flash pictures. Polyester might end up being to hot against your skin, along with Pleather. I'd say your best bet would actually be a special occassion fabric like satin, but without using the satin weave side of the fabric.

Or if you can make it out of leather (maybe even couch pleather since its not so shiny) would be the best.

To help make the costume for identifiable, maybe carry a data pad?
    ooh data pad! good idea! I've always wanted to play around and make one of them.

What if I took pics of various leather/pleathers at stores to find the ones that flash the least?

also, would it be best to use inexpensive muslin/cotton to make the dress and patterns before making it out of the leather?
    Any seamstresses out there got any tips for a virgin seamstress?

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
  • Options
    WeeEvil EeveeWeeEvil Eevee TacomaRegistered User regular

@WeeEvil_Eevee - one off the top of my head might be a Windwaker Link, his outfit is pretty simple. Maybe an Umbreon? Or a Scout from TF2, plenty of awesome cosplays that can be on the easier side to complete. Altair or a Spartan without money? Quite a bit harder to do DX

I might have Connor from AC3 done by PAX as well, not sure though. I'm using historically accurate materials to make it so its a bit more time consuming.

Awesome thanks for the ideas. ^.^ now then lets just hope if i attempt ot make them that i dont suck at making them.

• Options
    Safir-HimeSafir-Hime SeattleRegistered User new member
    ooh data pad! good idea! I've always wanted to play around and make one of them.

What if I took pics of various leather/pleathers at stores to find the ones that flash the least?

also, would it be best to use inexpensive muslin/cotton to make the dress and patterns before making it out of the leather?
    Any seamstresses out there got any tips for a virgin seamstress?

You could try that. I'd just stay away from costume pleather, its pretty shiny. Maybe some of the vinyl you can find in the home decor section of Jo-Ann's (or maybe something in the red tag clearance section)
    Oh yes! Do a mock-up with muslin. Because the fabric will most likely lean towards a more spendy side, and because of the way the dress needs to fit, I'd certainly make a mock-up first.

I'm a seamstress and my best suggestion is to hunt for a store bought pattern that relates closest to the dress. Its a pretty basic shaped dress, so it shouldn't be hard.

• Options
    Cool good to know. Heehee. Its unny, this is simpler than my Spartan cosplay, but much more difficult. Lols

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • Options
    Kelly you can click on that facebook link I left and join the Mass Effect cosplay group for PAX, that way I can be there to give you whatever tips or help you need with your costume ^^

• Options
    Cool! thanks for the help!

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered User regular
    I'll be making my heavy pistol out of EVA foam, I imagine it should look toyish enough to pass for a prop at PAX, it will not be functional. But who knows, they probably won't accept it. If not I'll just keep it at my hotel *shrugs*
    "They" are right here. ;) Well-known video game guns (that aren't just real firearms!) carved from foam, wood or etc. are a popular and totally acceptable cosplay prop at PAX. :)

• Options
    Thanks for letting me know Tango!

• Options
    SarahstraszaSarahstrasza Registered User regular
    Soooo I have been debating attempting a costume this year. Sadly.. the costume I am looking to do is probably to advanced for me, but I still think i'd like to try. Worse case scenario, I do not complete it and save it for halloween or next year. Now what did I have in mind you ask? Well, I enjoy borderlands, and soon comes borderlands 2.. Not a HUGE fan of Maya for the most part but after lookin around, I noticed the DLC to be released a few months after the games release, they will be bringing a mechromancer. Bad enough I already have a sort of sick twisted love for anything pigtail... The only thing I'm thinking would actually be difficult to recreate would be her mechanical arm.

• Options
    HackworthHackworth IssaquahRegistered User regular
    Thinking about getting a t-shirt with Costume Support on the back of it for this year as that's what i do for my two friends that cosplay. Just carry a repair kit with tape glue spare stuff etc and room for swag. Last year the girl cosplaying as Caitlyn from LoL had the "Scopes" from her gun broken off repeatedly by people getting pictures with her, i still have superglue spots on my kilt haha.

• Options
    LelentalLelental Registered User regular
    On Friday I'm doing Gwynevere from Dark Souls

On Saturday I'm doing Zoya from Trine 2 (would LOVE to put together a group for this!!! LF Wizard and Knight!)

On Sunday I'm being Emilia from Dance Central. My friend is going as Miss Aubrey - We'd love to get more of the group, too!!

• Options
    Hackworth wrote: »
    Thinking about getting a t-shirt with Costume Support on the back of it for this year as that's what i do for my two friends that cosplay. Just carry a repair kit with tape glue spare stuff etc and room for swag. Last year the girl cosplaying as Caitlyn from LoL had the "Scopes" from her gun broken off repeatedly by people getting pictures with her, i still have superglue spots on my kilt haha.
    You my friend are deserving of many beers.
    That's really awesome that you stick with your friend and help out like that. Major props to you.

I have a hard enough time trying to keep my friends near me that I intentionally chose cosplays that a back pack wouldn't look out of place. I'm the only one of my group that actually spends almost all my time at Pax.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    There are people that go to PAX that don't spend all day doing PAX things?

Wat?

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    I know! crazy right?!
    I have no idea where they end up.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • Options
    RawrrrAydaRawrrrAyda Registered User regular
    Michonne from The Walking Dead and maybe Rochelle from LFD2

@sophierocious
    HUFFLEPUFF!! '12-'13
  • Options
    AaronCAaronC Enforcer - Lieutenant Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    I'd just like to let everyone know that Tango will be moving on to other Enforcer areas, so if you have any questions regarding the costume weapon policies, please ask here or pm me. Thanks much!

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Damn it man, could you have given me a few hours to get over here and make that announcement myself? You make it sound like I got FIRED AND BANNED FROM PAX or something! :P

But, yes, it's true -- after quite a bit of thinking about it before, during and after this last East, I stepped down from Enforcer security management today. The reason is pretty simple: I've come to believe that the success of a few of our policies had ended up obsoleting my own position, if you like. Aaron will now look after security in addition to his other duties, but there won't be a dedicated Enforcer security manager anymore; I believe that there is simply no longer any need for one, and PA agreed.

Thanks to everyone who has attempted to keep their stuff in line with the policies - it's really appreciated! :) See you all at Prime 2012!

Tango on
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2012
    Tango wrote: »
    Damn it man, could you have given me a few hours to get over here and make that announcement myself? You make it sound like I got FIRED AND BANNED FROM PAX or something! :P

Yeah... I was thinking it sounded a bit ominous... Good to hear you clear it up.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I think @AaronC is just super eager to take the reins ;) (again -- he was the security manager at East '10, in what shall now be referred to as The Bygone Days When We Still Had A Dedicated Security Manager )! He was my own preferred choice to take up the responsibility of directing Enforcer security, which he will do in addition to fixing a bunch of content issues as a PAX Lieutenant, so you guys will be in good hands.

Tango on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    FFFF. Sorry, doublepost.

Tango on
  • Options
    arwen_doll16_LOTRarwen_doll16_LOTR Commander Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    The front page of info has been changed to have information for AaronC instead of Tango for PAX security info on costume weapons. Let me know if I should still have Tango in the info and it will be changed =)

arwen_doll16_LOTR on
    I should go.
    534159_4247466298641_1660805487_n.jpg
  • Options
    Nope, my involvement in this thread is now out of regular interest only! :)

• Options
    LowRenzOhLowRenzOh Registered User new member
    Assuming Diabetus and slowbeef will be present at the convention (which they damn well better be!) I plan to step into the shoes of the great Mike Dawson for a day or so. Complete with awkward, halty walk, incredibly low self-confidence, awkward small talk with women, incessant denial of crimes, and ring toss skillz. Seeing as he apparently works at/around UCLA, I need to find this living legend while I'm still on campus and really get the feel of what it means to be THE Mike Dawson. lol

• Options
    Saint JusticeSaint Justice Mercenary Mah-vel Baybee!!!Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I know it's a pretty simple costume, but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions buying/finding/making (last resort, heh) stuff for a Captain Hammer costume. My Girlfriend and I decided we're going to do a couple's costume this Halloween; she'll be going as Penny; dyeing her hair red and sporting the "Snow White" outfit that Penny wears during "Penny's Song" at the laundromat. So I figured I'd get an early start and use it as an opportunity to cosplay while I'm at PAX Prime! What say you, fellow Arcadians?

Edit: Found the official shirt on thinkgeek. Thoughts on pants/gloves/styling hair/etc.?

Saint Justice on
    Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul. ~ Tycho
  • Options
    SaldekSaldek Registered User regular
    I know it's a pretty simple costume, but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions buying/finding/making (last resort, heh) stuff for a Captain Hammer costume

Motorcycle or welding gloves will probably be your best bet to finding something that looks similar.

https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/Saldek
    DS Friend Code - 5300-9697-9935
  • Options
    SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    Edit: Found the official shirt on thinkgeek. Thoughts on pants/gloves/styling hair/etc.?

These are what I was looking at for the gloves when I was thinking about this costume, these will probably be the best your going to find, as far as price vs authentic look.

These would probably look more authentic, but are much more expensive.

IhtGIyi.png
  • Options
    Saint JusticeSaint Justice Mercenary Mah-vel Baybee!!!Registered User regular
    Thanks, Skele! I'll grab that first pair. Now, I just need to start looking around for the pants. As always, any assistance is much obliged. :)

Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul. ~ Tycho
  • Options
    LinkSmashLinkSmash Registered User regular
    Since I've got time to think things through and it shouldn't be too complicated. Thinking about trying to pull off some X-23 and Kasumi cosplay. Is it bad that I feel like I couldn't pull off any other characters if they aren't of Asian persuasion? haha And plus, X-23 isn't a video game character but easy enough for me to do. I want to go all out and what not in Mass Effect cosplay but I lack the skill to do anything creative with a needle and thread.

• Options
    mikozillamikozilla Queen of Ferelden WashingtonRegistered User regular
    I'm planning on Commander Shepard for PAX Prime as well and am looking to set up a Mass Effect meet

I'm hoping I will have a Tali, Joker, and possibly Kaidan, Jacob, and Garrus.

Looking for more!!

@KellyShepard087 I wouldn't suggest pleather for the dress mainly because of how it will look if anyone takes any flash pictures. Polyester might end up being to hot against your skin, along with Pleather. I'd say your best bet would actually be a special occassion fabric like satin, but without using the satin weave side of the fabric.

Or if you can make it out of leather (maybe even couch pleather since its not so shiny) would be the best.

To help make the costume for identifiable, maybe carry a data pad?

I'll be making my heavy pistol out of EVA foam, I imagine it should look toyish enough to pass for a prop at PAX, it will not be functional. But who knows, they probably won't accept it. If not I'll just keep it at my hotel *shrugs*

I'll be making my omni tool/blade out of orange acrylic.

Mass Effect Pax Prime cosplay group page- http://www.facebook.com/groups/259099300853141/

@WeeEvil_Eevee - one off the top of my head might be a Windwaker Link, his outfit is pretty simple. Maybe an Umbreon? Or a Scout from TF2, plenty of awesome cosplays that can be on the easier side to complete. Altair or a Spartan without money? Quite a bit harder to do DX

I might have Connor from AC3 done by PAX as well, not sure though. I'm using historically accurate materials to make it so its a bit more time consuming.

Just sent a request to join the facebook page, as I'm hoping to have my FemShep Blood Dragon armor done. If there is a Garrus, I will be just giddy. Every time I see a Garrus I die of joy.
    Melcene wrote: »
    Last year I did Mad Moxxi and only dressed for Saturday. This year I'm considering having multiple. Haven't decided if I'll do Moxxi again. Also considering either EDI or Tali, and my Miraluka Consular Sage.
    While I love Tali like crazy, please PLEASE do Edi. I want to try to make that costume someday and I think it would be just amazing as heck to see. *o*

• Options
    vgcvgc United StatesRegistered User regular
    I found the Sweet Tooth mask that Sony was giving away last year and that made me decide to cosplay Sweet Tooth. I do love the Twisted Metal series! I'm going for a female version of this Sweet Tooth: http://www.cecilkim.com/portfolio_images/Sweet Tooth.jpg

Should be pretty simple. I already have a black leather bra and I'll be making or modifying my own harness. It'll be black instead of brown. I hope no one notices or cares. As for hair, I was thinking of using lots and lots of hair gel as well as lots and lots of temporary red hair spray. I just hope that works.

I'm also going as Agitha from Twilight Princess one day. She's the crazy bug girl. I'm thinking about getting 250 plastic toy bugs, spray painting them gold and leaving them around the convention center with a note telling people that they should find me. Anybody that gives me one gets a prize. What do you all think of this? I know how huge PAX is and I'm worried that 250 might not even be enough or that I'll get in trouble for littering or something.

My last cosplay is undetermined. Anyone have any ideas?

• Options
    MelceneMelcene Tacoma, WARegistered User regular
    @Safir-Hime - I think I may still have the inflatable orange Omni-Tool somewhere around from a previous PAX if interested. Will also send a request to the page. Really looking at doing EDI since I don't hear many thinking of doing it. (And probably Moxxi again, and maybe a SWTOR toon)

melcene-wide.png
    mogablah-BlackUserbar.gif
  • Options
    RobogirlRobogirl Local Badass SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I'm dead set on doing a Decker's gang member from Saints Row 3, following the design of the female with the blue skirt. I'm hoping to master EL wire stuff by then so the outfit lights up. My boyfriend is also being snagged into dressing up as one.

I'm trying to find an existing leather jacket that looks similar to the one below. Obviously i'm not expecting to find one with the straps and stuff, just looking for a good, form fitting(I.e., not very thick) base to go off of. Though, looking at it now, it looks like I could get away with a track jacket, if I could stiffen up the color(though it wouldn't look anywhere near as cool :/). Any suggestions are appreciated!

The picture in question:
    upperdecker.jpg

I'd love to find other people wanting to do saints row stuff, especially deckers... though some part of my brain says it would be awesome to find people from other gangs(especially the lucadors). If anyone is doing SR cosplay, you should totally hit me up on PM and let me know what's up.

Edit: sorry, couldn't figure out how to thumbnail it, since timg didn't work.

Robogirl on
  • Options
    LaKangaRueLaKangaRue Registered User regular
    I'm repeating my Zombie getup from 2010. :D

225-1.jpg

• Options
    Trooper0621Trooper0621 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I would like to make Blood Dragon armor from Mass Effect...it's been on my to do list for ages, but I just haven't had the time.

A group of us who are producing a Halo fan film should be there showing off some of our costumes as well, and we'd love to see more Halo costumes, especially with the impending release of Halo 4!
    535864_362992923735803_195335357168228_972509_1694372128_n.jpg
    398365_359234704111625_195335357168228_964910_1267080159_n.jpg

Trooper0621 on
  • Options
    LaKangaRueLaKangaRue Registered User regular
    I would like to make Blood Dragon armor from Mass Effect...it's been on my to do list for ages, but I just haven't had the time.

A group of us who are producing a Halo fan film should be there showing off some of our costumes as well, and we'd love to see more Halo costumes, especially with the impending release of Halo 4!
    535864_362992923735803_195335357168228_972509_1694372128_n.jpg
    398365_359234704111625_195335357168228_964910_1267080159_n.jpg

I like the duel wielding of the rocket/grenade launcher going on! Awesome!

• Options
    edited April 2012
    @Trooper0621
    I'm there! I'll have my Spartan Fatigues with me.
    <<<<<<<<

They were a huge hit at East so I'm excited to wear them again at Prime. I felt a little out of place in a Halo cosplay at East. not many others.
    So I'm excited to be among more Halo cosplayers and see what they think.

KellyShepard087 on

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • Options
    PerzephonePerzephone Gamer, Cosplayer & Geek :3 SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I know that my cosplay group The Heroes of, will be there most of us will be in Dragon Age 2 and the rest in ME3. I hope that Bioware will be there again and do a panel at our PAX :D.

This is what I am planning on cosplaying -

Bethany Hawke - Dragon Age 2
    Castanic Slayer - TERA

Depending on if Bioware comes and has a panel, I will then know which days I will be wearing which cosplay.
    For my TERA cosplay I am going to hang around the TERA Booth for a bit ;D and then walk around the con.

I was going to do a ME3 cosplay but realized making both Tali and Garrus in 3 months will not happen. So it will be debut at Sakura Con 2013 and PAX Prime 2013 :)

Perzephone on
  • Options
    I've got plans to do FemShep's dress from ME2. Plans look doable so far. Its just a matter of materials and time.
    I did find this killer leather jacket on clearance.
    Not entirely cannon. but it screamed "Commander Shepard!" at me. So I snagged it.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • Options
    PerzephonePerzephone Gamer, Cosplayer & Geek :3 SeattleRegistered User regular
    Lelental wrote: »
    On Friday I'm doing Gwynevere from Dark Souls

On Saturday I'm doing Zoya from Trine 2 (would LOVE to put together a group for this!!! LF Wizard and Knight!)

On Sunday I'm being Emilia from Dance Central. My friend is going as Miss Aubrey - We'd love to get more of the group, too!!

I didn't know you were coming out to this PAX :D I can't wait to see your cosplays other than on DA and from Vince XD

This discussion has been closed.